Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34401 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by KwaraRat: 8:08am On Mar 16, 2018
The word "Yoruba" does not have any meaning in the language of the Olukumi People but traces it's origins from the mockery the Hausa/Fulani jihadist used in describing the once great race after they had sacked Oyo Ile (the capital of the old Oyo empire) and annexed Ilorin for the Sokoto Caliphate.

The word Yoruba is derived from the two words: Oyo and Oba and from the Hausa/Fulani dialect was pronounced "Oyoroba" and was a direct mockery of how they (Hausa Fulanis) captured Ilorin, killed Afonja and the Oba of old Oyo.

How the Olukumin peope will accept a known derogatory mockery as the name of their race baffles me.

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:
The word "Yoruba" does not have any meaning in the language of the Olukumi People but traces it's origins from the mockery the Hausa/Fulani jihadist used in describing the once great race after they had sacked Oyo Ile (the capital of the old Oyo empire) and annexed Ilorin for the Sokoto Caliphate.

The word Yoruba is derived from the two words: Oyo and Oba and from the Hausa/Fulani dialect was pronounced "Oyoroba" and was a direct mockery of how they (Hausa Fulanis) captured Ilorin, killed Afonja and the Oba of old Oyo.

How the Olukumin peope will accept a known derogatory mockery as the name of their race baffles me.
ojukwu stop acting like u know history. The name Yoruba was given by the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba in his book and was only popularized by Hausa to refer to people of oyo. Hausa did not sack Oyo Ile the nupe did and no oba of oyo was killed. I don’t know where ipob get their history facts maybe there is an alternative facts privy only to ipob that the rest of the world doesn’t know about.

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by scholes0(m): 8:33am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
ojukwu stop acting like u know history. The name Yoruba was given by the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba in his book and was only popularized by Hausa to refer to people of oyo. Hausa did not sack Oyo Ile the nupe did and no oba of oyo was killed. I don’t know where ipob get their history facts maybe there is an alternative facts privy only to ipob that the rest of the world doesn’t know about.

lol

Besides, what is "Olukumin" ?

Des OP mean Olukumi? which is Just 1 of the various Clans of Yoruba that goes by that name?

Besides, what Igbos call themselves today is from a Benin word "IGBON" meaning uncultured SLAVES, or people of the BUSH. The name was apt at the time, because at this time in history, that is basically what the disjointed tribes east of the Niger river who had no sense of commonality, nor kinship past the clan level were.

That is why till today, so many so called Igbo groups don't even want to be assciated with that name.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 16, 2018
scholes0:

lol
lol the osu doesn’t know that olukunmi is a clan like ijebu ekiti and co and that the olukunmi in delta state still bears the tag just like olucumi in Brazil

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by KwaraRat: 8:41am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
lol the osu doesn’t know that olukunmi is a clan like ijebu ekiti and co and that the olukunmi in delta state still bears the tag just like olucumi in Brazil

Sharap.

That was the name your ancestors went by.

The Ekiti Yorubas were never conquered unlike you slaves.

How then will you know your history when the name you call yourself was given to you by a Hausa man?

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:
[s][/s]

So you agree that the term "Yoruba" was given to you by a hausa/fulani scholar?

lol

Them rename una like slaves.
did u read at all Ahmed baba was a Songhai scholar not Hausa. Different kingdom give each other name we call the nupe tapa even the name hausa was not given by Hausa themselves nothing indicates slavery about it. Read ojukwu read

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:

Sharap.

That was the name your ancestors went by.

The Ekiti Yorubas were never conquered unlike you slaves.

How then will you know your history when the name you call yourself was given to you by a Hausa man?
u contradict urself if my ancestor goes by olukunmi why is a clan still called ekiti shouldn’t I go by the olukunmi. U are a big dumbass. The olukunmi are a Yoruba clan that still goes by the name in the heart of anioma land in delta state

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Turantula(m): 9:03am On Mar 16, 2018
Fulani dealing with Afonja since 1548

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by ayzTIGER: 9:10am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
did u read at all Ahmed baba was a Songhai scholar not Hausa. Different kingdom give each other name we call the nupe tapa even the name hausa was not given by Hausa themselves nothing indicates slavery about it. Read ojukwu read
Hausa/Fulani have been lording it over you since time immemorial that they even gave you the name you answer today. I now understand why Yorubas are very loyal to the Caliphate.

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:18am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:

Now Mr historian, what is the meaning of oyoroba in hausa language?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:19am On Mar 16, 2018
ayzTIGER:
Hausa/Fulani have been lording it over you since time immemorial that they even gave you the name you answer today. I now understand why Yorubas are very loyal to the Caliphate.

Just the way we gave you your own name. Igbo= people living in the bush.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 16, 2018
ayzTIGER:
yoruba name was given by the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba not Hausa and even Hausa ipob youth accuse of being illiterate know this but somehow osu that are not illiterate doesn’t know. Makes me wonder who really is the illiterate

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

Now Mr historian, what is the meaning of oyoroba in hausa language?
how is Oyoroba a mockery according to the osu lol

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:27am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
how is Oyoroba a mockery according to the osu lol

I want to see his translation in 'hausa'

He's just another foolish pig.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:29am On Mar 16, 2018
Firstpage:

I want to see his translation in 'hausa'

He's just another foolish pig.

What does "Yoruba" mean in your yoruba tongue?

Oyoroba!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

What does "Yoruba" mean in your yoruba tongue?

Oyoroba!

u just told us it means oyo and oba which means oyo and king wat does it mean in Hausa. Lol u didn’t think this through did u my osu friend

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:37am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
u just told us it means oyo and oba which means oyo and king wat does it mean in Hausa. Lol u didn’t think this through did u my osu friend

Oyo and Oba is not the same thing as oyoroba

The etymology of Yoruba is derived from these two words oyo and oba which when combined mean nothing in your olukumi tongue but is a deragoratory term used to describe your people after their defeat at the hands of jihadist invaders.

Not only did they sack your border town of ilorin, your capital in Oyo Ile, killed your General(s), Oba and Princess but also forced all of you to congregrate in the biggest IDP camp ever created -Ibadan.

You see the same Hausa/Fulani are credited in creating Ibadan, because it is from their jihad that you Yorubas all ran and converged in what is today Ibadan - the only city to be founded as a refugee camp!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Oyo and Oba is not the same thing as oyoroba

The etymology of Yoruba is derived from these two words oyo and oba which when combined mean nothing in your olukumi tongue but is a deragoratory term used to describe your people after their defeat at the hands of jihadist invaders.

Not only did they sack your border town of ilorin, your capital in Oyo Ile, killed your General(s), Oba and Princess but also forced all of you to congregrate in the biggest IDP camp ever created -Ibadan.

You see the same Hausa/Fulani are credited in creating Ibadan, because it is from their jihad that you Yorubas all ran and converged in what is today Ibadan - the only city to be founded as a refugee camp!
lol ok what does it mean in Hausa language then

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:45am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
lol ok what does it mean in Hausa language then

That is the crux of the matter. It doesnt mean sh1t but rather conveys a mockery.

If you need a hausa man to interpret what Yoruba means dont you see how much of a slave you are?

Yoruba does not mean anything to anyone but you carry the name with pride even though it wasnt the name your ancestors called themselves but a derragoratory term used to describe your people by a foreigner.

So much for Yoruba language bill when you dont eevn know the origins of the name you call yourselves.

Go home and ask the eldest in your family tree why una dey call una self name wey foriegner give una

27 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:02am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

That is the crux of the matter. It doesnt mean sh1t but rather conveys a mockery.

If you need a hausa man to interpret what Yoruba means dont you see how much of a slave you are?

Yoruba does not mean anything to anyone but you carry the name with pride even though it wasnt the name your ancestors called themselves but a derragoratory term used to describe your people by a foreigner.

So much for Yoruba language bill when you dont eevn know the origins of the name you call yourselves.

Go home and ask the eldest in your family tree why una dey call una self name wey foriegner give una

lol u know get sense at all the op said the meaning of Yoruba comes from the combination of oyo and oba in Hausa way of speaking which means it still means oyo and king or basically oyo king in Hausa way of pronouncing it so how is it a mockery to Yoruba my osu friend?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:04am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
lol u know get sense at all the op said the meaning of Yoruba comes from the combination of oyo and oba in Hausa way of speaking which means it still means oyo and king or basically oyo king in Hausa way of pronouncing it so how is it a mockery to Yoruba my osu friend?

The Huasa pronounces it as OYORUBA which will later come down as YORUBA.

What does these two words mean in your native tongue?

Is it not a shame that the name you use to describe yourselves as a race was given to you by your Muslim invaders?

25 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

The Huasa pronounces it as OYORUBA which will later come down as YORUBA.

What does these two words mean in your native tongue?

Is it not a shame that the name you use to describe yourselves as a race was given to you by your Muslim invaders?

like u said it means Oyoruba from the word oyo and oba in Hausa tongue so why will the meaning of oyo and oba change in Yoruba tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:10am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
like u said it means Oyoruba from the word oyo and oba in Hausa tongue so why will the meaning of oyo and oba change in Yoruba tongue

Why should you adopt the hausa description of you as a people?

Una ancestors no get name?

Or is this a kunta-kinte renaming after he was bought by Mr Jone Campbell on auction?

19 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:17am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10, isnt about time you renamed yourself back to your original ancestry name?

Look at all present day "Yoruba" traditional associations, not one single one of them has the word "Yoruba" as part of their description?

Liberate yourself.

16 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 9jakool: 10:21am On Mar 16, 2018
KwaraRat:

Hello, I see that you've crawled out of your little rat hole. Let me make some things clear so your little rat brain can stop looking for trouble.

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin.

Number 2: The word Yoruba existed long before Ilorin was ever sacked. The first documentation of "Yoruba" was not even by a Hausa but by a Songhai scholar in the 1500s. Ilorin was annexed some centuries later.

Number 3: There is no such thing as "Hausa/Fulani" dialect. Hausa and Fulfulde are completely separate languages on their own right.

Number 4: "Yoruba" is not a derogatory term in the so called "Hausa/Fulani" dialect nor was it ever used as a mockery term. It was simply a name for an ethnic group SW of the Niger River.

Number 5: There is nothing like "Oyoroba." You made that up in your rat brain. The term that Hausas use is "Yorubawa" which is just how they say Yoruba in their language.

Now that you've been educated, you can now crawl back to the hole you came from.

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:

Why should you adopt the hausa description of you as a people?

Una ancestors no get name?

Or is this a kunta-kinte renaming after he was bought by Mr Jone Campbell on auction?
the Roman named German the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba coined the name Yoruba not Hausa and was popularized by the Hausa only. We are omo ododuwa ile yoruba oni baje oo kiss my ass osu pig

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 16, 2018
9jakool:

Hello, I see that you've crawled out of your little rat hole. Let me make some things clear so your little rat brain can stop looking for trouble.

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin

Number 2: The word Yoruba existed long before Ilorin was ever sacked. The first documentation of "Yoruba" was not even by a Hausa but by a Songhai scholar in the 1500s. Ilorin was annexed some centuries later.

Number 3: There is no such thing as "Hausa/Fulani" dialect. Hausa and Fulfulde are completely separate languages on their own right.

Number 4: "Yoruba" is not a derogatory term in the so called "Hausa/Fulani" dialect nor was it ever used as a mockery term. It was simply a name for an ethnic group SW of the Niger River.

Number 5: There is nothing like "Oyoroba." You made that up in your rat brain. The term that Hausas use is "Yorubawa" which is just how they say Yoruba in their language.

Now that you've been educated, you can now crawl back to the hole you came from.
lol osu can never get educated I have been trolling them since

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 16, 2018
GBTYO:
Thetruthsayer10, isnt about time you renamed yourself back to your original ancestry name?

Look at all present day "Yoruba" traditional associations, not one single one of them has the word "Yoruba" as part of their description?

Liberate yourself.
liberate from what a name given by the Songhai scholar to reference the great oyo empire

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:26am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
the Roman named German the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba coined the name Yoruba not Hausa and was popularized by the Hausa only. We are omo ododuwa ile yoruba oni baje oo kiss my ass osu pig

Oyoroba!

10 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:27am On Mar 16, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
the Roman named German

The Germans dont go about calling themselves Germans neither is their nation refereed to as Germany by them but Deutschland.

The area known as Germany today was referred to as Bavaria

Oyoruba slave

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 10:28am On Mar 16, 2018
9jakool:

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin.

Did you name yourselves Oyoruba ?

What did your ancestors call themselves?

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

'Don't Free El-Zakzaky' - Group Protests (Photos) / Aisha Buhari At Eid Ground With Her Grand-daughter / CHECKOUT List Of Companies Own By Atiku Abubakar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.