Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34404 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 9jakool: 10:23am On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:
Olukumi for me is more of Igala than Yoruba, their language sound more deviant Igala language.
Though their language is very difficult for an average Igala man to understand and they very closer to Igala than Yoruba.
But in Olukumi town like Ugbodu and Okunzu they are bilingual speaking olukumi language and Igbo language fluently. The 'Olukumi' as a word, I believe is an Igala word which means 'my friend'
Secondly there is no sign of Yoruba culture in their land, their names is purely Igbo, their culture is purely Igbo.
I remember visited the town Ugbodu taken a bike from Issele uku, en route Onisha uku down to Ugbodu.
I recall visiting the Paramount ruler of Ugbodu town the Odogwu of Ugbodu.
In 'Olukumi' father is refer as Bami, mother is refer to as Yami.
If I say 'mu pure water wa' means 'bring pure water come'
'Bu iji rumi' cut firewood for me
'maa ko iji ru' you people should park firewood

The funny thing is that what you just wrote up there can be understand by your average Yoruba speaker. It just looks like a dialect of Yoruba. Don't try to twist it to fit your made up narrative. Anyways you tried sha.
Odogwu is Odogun in Yoruba.
It's actually "Baa mi" which is just a shortened version of "Baba mi" meaning my father.
"mu pure water wa" is exactly the same in Olukumi and Yoruba.
"Bu iji ru mi" in Yoruba is "Be igi fun mi" which also means cut firewood for me.
"Maa ko iji ru" would be "maa ko igi fun" in Yoruba.

The closest attested language to Olukwumi is the dialect spoken around Owo in Ondo state, which is where Olukwumi people say they migrated from. Olukumi in Yoruba means my friend or my confidant. The Igala version of oluku is "onuku." You and I know you are not sincerey when you say their names and culture is "PURELY" igbo. It's one thing to say that they've absorbed elements from Igbo due to proximity, it's another thing to say there entire culture is "PURELY" Igbo. We all know that there are many non-Igbo elements in Anioma. Olukumi people are not Igbo nor do they identify as such. Their kings' thrones is from Ife.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PFRB: 10:27am On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:
Olukumi for me is more of Igala than Yoruba, their language sound more deviant Igala language.
Though their language is very difficult for an average Igala man to understand and they very closer to Igala than Yoruba.
But in Olukumi town like Ugbodu and Okunzu they are bilingual speaking olukumi language and Igbo language fluently. The 'Olukumi' as a word, I believe is an Igala word which means 'my friend'
Secondly there is no sign of Yoruba culture in their land, their names is purely Igbo, their culture is purely Igbo.
I remember visited the town Ugbodu taken a bike from Issele uku, en route Onisha uku down to Ugbodu.

Igala and Igbo are very very interwoven. About Half or more of Obosi is Igala. Many you call Onitsha people are actually Igala. Do you know that Emmanuel Okala is Igala?

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 10:28am On Mar 18, 2018
9jakool:

The funny thing is that what you just wrote up there can be understand by your average Yoruba speaker. It just looks like a dialect of Yoruba. Don't try to twist it to fit your made up narrative. Anyways you tried sha.
It's actually "Baa mi" which is just a shortened version of "Baba mi" meaning my father.
"Bu iji ru mi" in Yoruba is "Be igi fun mi" which also means cut firewood for me.

The closest attested language to Olukwumi is the dialect spoken around Owo in Ondo state, which is where Olukwumi people say they migrated from. Olukumi in Yoruba means my friend or my confidant. The Igala version of oluku is "onuku." You and I know you are not sincerey when you say their names and culture is "PURELY" igbo. It's one thing to say that they've absorbed elements from Igbo due to proximity, it's another thing to say there entire culture is "PURELY" Igbo. We all know that there are many non-Igbo elements in Anioma. Olukumi people are not Igbo nor do they identify as such. Their kings' thrones is from Ife.

I thought the clowns say they do not have kings so any culture that has kings cannot be Yibbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PFRB: 10:30am On Mar 18, 2018
Words that mean "me" in Igbo language include the following.
Mu,
Mi,
Ma,
etc etc depending on the dialect.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Klinee: 11:29am On Mar 18, 2018
9jakool:

Am not saying that 'Olukumi' people are Igbo but my observation there, their cultural activities affiliate towards Igbo maybe because of proximal acculturation to aniocha people of Delta state.
But from a little I can understand in 'Olukumi' language is more of Igala language than Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Ritchiee: 11:39am On Mar 18, 2018
0monnak0da:

I thought the clowns say they do not have kings so any culture that has kings cannot be Yibbo

Yorubas are/were adventurous, even Ugbodu town in the heart of Delta state is inhabited by Yorubas who have been assimilated but they know their root...

UDU UK
Ugbodu Development Union UK
branch Registered Charity
Information and Projects
Menu
Skip to content
Ugbodu Town
Ugbodu Town lies at a latitude of
6.3793200 and longitude of
6.4585900 and it has an elevation of
241 meters above sea level. It is a
Yoruba speaking community based
deep in
the heart of Igbo speaking
communities. The village is one of
six villages which trace their origin
to Owo Town in Ondo State of
Nigeria. Ugbodu consists of four
villages namely, Igwisi, Idumu-Agba,
Ogoza and
Idumu Ogwa.
The people through interaction and
centuries of living in their present
location speak both Olukumi and
Igbo languages. Olukumi is the
Yoruba language spoken by Owo
people in present day Ondo State in
Nigeria. Collectively, the six Olukumi
speaking towns make up what is
known as Odiani clan.
Ugbodu is the place where the East
of Nigeria meets the West of Nigeria
as this town and its other Olukumi
speaking communities of Delta State
of Nigeria is the only place in the
whole of Nigeria which speaks both
the Igbo and Yoruba languages
fluently as a people. It is also one of
the most deprived communities in
Nigeria today.
Despite this, the town boasts of
many graduates in various fields. It
has produced lawyers, doctors,
engineers, agriculturists, scientists,
and a national beauty pageant
amongst others. It also boasts of a
nursery school, two primary schools,
one secondary school, a hospital, a
post office, several churches etc.

https://juanitaazubuike./ogbodu-town/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Ritchiee: 11:51am On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:
Am not saying that 'Olukumi' people are Igbo but my observation there, their cultural activities affiliate towards Igbo maybe because of proximal acculturation to aniocha people of Delta state.
But from a little I can understand in 'Olukumi' language is more of Igala language than Yoruba.

We all are hypocritical sometimes.What we are saying is that they have Yoruba DNA because their root is OWO/ONDO/YORUBALAND but they have been away for a thousand years.They have been assimilated.Still retaining a little language tie with Yoruba is even a great kudos to them.

READ THEIR HISTORY:Their Yoruba DNA cannot be changed.

Located in the heart of Anioma land
in Aniocha North L.G.A of Delta State
are the bilingual people Who speak
Olukwumi and Enuani(igbo dialect)
perfectly.
The olukwumi people are said to
have migrated from the old oyo
empire over 1000years ago. They are
located in the heart of Anioma land
in delta state and can either be
referred or classified as Olukwumi
people or Ndi Igbos of the west
(Delta igbos). Their customs and
traditions are that of the igbos in
Anioma and they also speak both the
olukwumi language and the Enuani
dialect perfectly. They also bear both
olukwumi and igbo names.
In recent times due to the seemingly
extinction of the olukwumi language
,most of the youths speak just the
enuani dialect and the purest form of
the olukwumi dialect is only spoken
by elders in the community. Although
they are measures being taken to
preserve the unique Olukwumi
dialect.
They partook in every activity during
the Ekumeku war,and others.
These Anioma son's occupy an area
just west of the Niger River's right
bank. The area is rich in Chalk and
Kaolin deposits.
Etymology
Edit
The word Olukwumi means "My
confidant" or "My friend" . [2]
Olukumi Towns and Communities
Edit
s/n
Town
Origins
Comment(s)
Ugbodu (Ugbodu-Uno)
Akure and Owo (Ogho)
Traditional centre of Olukumi
people. Founded by early settlers
from Akure and Owo axis.
Ukwu Nzu (Eko Efun)
Ile-Ife via Usen (Usehin)
After the founding of Usen town in
Edo state by people from Ile ife,
Agbe, the founder of Ukwu-Nzu is
said to have come from there.
Ubulubu
People from Ugbodu and Eko Efun
A relatively late Olukumi town said
to have been founded in 1800 by
some Ugbodu people later joined by
others from Eko efun people (Ukwu
nzu).
Idumu Ogo
Ugboba (Ugbo Oba)
Ogodor
Ogbe Onei ( Obomkpa )
Owo
Anioma
Non Olukumi villages of Yoruba
Origins
Edit
s/n
Town
Origins
Comment(s)
Onichaku ( Ubulu Uku )
Ilesha
Was founded by a warrior called
Jowasoro who migrated from Ilesha
in Osun State.
Ogbekenu villages of Onicha-Ugbo
Ikare-Akoko
Founded by people from the Akoko
area of Ondo state.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olukumi_people
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 9jakool: 2:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:

How do you know it's more Igala than Yoruba. Do you speak either of these languages to effectively conclude that it's more Igala than Yoruba? The sentences and words you listed earlier can be understood by a common Yoruba speaker. The common school of thought by scholars is that it's an isolated Eastern Yoruba language. Even their king bears Ayo, an unmistakably Yoruba name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 9jakool: 2:19pm On Mar 18, 2018
0monnak0da:

I wonder the same thing. Even their king's title is Oloza derived from Oloja.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by FisifunKododada: 2:39pm On Mar 18, 2018
This debate is a waste of time - Olukunmi are descendants of Yoruba people from Ondo state.

Below are the names of their kings - just after they got to Delta from Ondo.

None of those names are Igbo or Igala. Facts are stubborn.

Even their current king's first name is Ayo - am sure that is also an igala name tongue

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GworoChewinMaga: 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2018
FisifunKododada:
This debate is a waste of time - Olukunmi are descendants of Yoruba people from Ondo state.

There is no such thing as yoruba.

Go and ask the oldest living relic in your family what they used to call themselves

Yoruba is a hausa/fulani mockery of your people.

I sha blame Ajayi Crowther for taking an arab muslim description which he got from hausa/fulanis in Nigeria as the name of your tribe.

This is what this thread is all about and not about dragging tribe

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 18, 2018
PFRB:
Olu means Neck or voice or work depending on the dialect. in Igbo language. Umi means marrow or tube or relaxation, rest or recreation depending on the dialect..
Olukumi would mean neck is stronger than marrow or tube.It can also mean voice of marrow or voice of tube. It can also mean work is better than relaxation. Igbo names are descriptive.

Olukwumi is in fact the short form of the phrase, "Nya na o lukwu mu.!", meaning, "So good fortune also came to me". It was uttered by a much abused queen from the NRI area after her husband realised she was innocent and rewarded her son by dispatching him to lead an Ilu or trade/explorative mission. That mission landed them at Uhe, which is known today as Ile Ife.

All these are recorded in a spectacular history book covering historical Igbo exploits outside today's Igbo Land.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2018
FisifunKododada:

Even their current king's first name is Ayo - am sure that is also an igala name tongue

Nnamdi Azikiwe named his first son Bamidele. Does that mean Bamidele Azikiwe was not Igbo?

The current Minister of Transport, is Rotimi Amaechi, because Igbos admire the Yorubas. But that does not make Rotimi Amaechi non Igbo.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Ritchiee: 3:01pm On Mar 18, 2018
GworoChewinMaga:

There is no such thing as yoruba.

Go and ask the oldest living relic in your family what they used to call themselves

Yoruba is a hausa/fulani mockery of your people.

I sha blame Ajayi Crowther for taking an arab muslim description which he got from hausa/fulanis in Nigeria as the name of your tribe.

This is what this thread is all about and not about dragging tribe
Whatever you call Yoruba,we had never been slaves to Hausa but they have been slaves to the Yorubas but everybody is a freeborn now except Igbos.
Believe what you want if it will make you sleep well tonight.The fact is Igbo means slave and there are hard facts to back this up.Ijaws are your slave masters then and now. Yorubas are your slavemasters even in Igboland.

Even our Yoruba Kwara people known as Ejuona that migrated to your side there still use you and call you slaves...

READ:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/osu-caste-system-dead-myth-reality/

It is the same story in Alor Uno
Community in Nsukka, where the
Ejuona people believe that although
their forefathers came from Kwara
State and settled at Alor Uno, the
Ugbene people who reportedly
settled later were now slaves. In this
regard, the Ejuona people reportedly
smuggled certain obnoxious chapters
which stated that Ugbene people
were not qualified to hold any
chieftaincy title, not to talk of political
positions as they were said to be
sub-humans.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
Truthcat:
Again, what is it we won't hear on nairaland?

How is Oba an igbo word, yet the Oba is Ogbaland not Obaland? Both Oba and Ogba are still Yoruba anyway. The only place you hear titles like that are in Yorubaland. Examples are Oluwo of Iwo, Olubadan of Ibadan, Olowu of Owu and Olugbo of Ugbo among others. It's certain the ancestors of the Olukumi are from Ile Ife, but how does that concern Igbos?

The only place all the names you mentioned have meaning is Yoruba. Remember, you Igbos are originally forest dwellers, and those Yoruboid groups have probably been living on the land before civilization brought you out of the forest to cohabitate with them. It's difficult for Aborigines to lose their language, reason the native Americans, the Australoid and the Olukumi have had their language preserved despite being surrounded by strange cultures.

Obatala towns of Southern Nigeria are towns found in Yoruba Land and Igbo Land that were founded fully or partially by descendants of the Obatalas of Ile Ife. They include Ugbo, Owu and Owu settlements all over Igbo Land and Yoruba Land, Ugbodu, Onicha Ugbo, Onitsha Ado, Ugbokko Araba (sounds like Idi Araba, right?), and many others.

The Obatalas were the rulers of Ile Ife before the arrival of Oduduwa The Great. They also had other titles like Oba Igbo and Osere Igbo.

Igbos and Yorubas should stop quarreling, as they have many deep linkages between them. They are twins bound togather forever, whether they like it or not. And they can do great things together.

We are currently looking into deeply of these, and would bring you more refreshing history soon.It will be well with the Igbos and Yorubas. Amen.
Source: http://www.igbodefender.com/2017/05/24/the-obatala-towns-of-igbo-land-and-yoruba-land/

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Ritchiee: 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
igbodefender:

Olukwumi is in fact the short form of the phrase, "Nya na o lukwu mu.!", meaning, "So good fortune also came to me". It was uttered by a much abused queen from the NRI area after her husband realised she was innocent and rewarded her son by dispatching him to lead an Ilu or trade/explorative mission. That mission landed them at Uhe, which is known today as Ile Ife.

All these are recorded in a spectacular history book covering historical Igbo exploits outside today's Igbo Land.
We believe you sir.Post the link or screenshot of that fake book so we can learn about this your imaginary Uhe which translate to Ile Ife...lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by FisifunKododada: 3:15pm On Mar 18, 2018
Even the king makes clear their origin and language. Again no debate - facts are stubborn.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by FisifunKododada: 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2018
Ritchiee:

We believe you sir.Post the link or screenshot of that fake book so we can learn about this your imaginary Uhe which translate to Ile Ife...lol

grin grin grin grin grin Eboes can be really childish - I swear. They can argue anything cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Ritchiee: 3:40pm On Mar 18, 2018
FisifunKododada:

grin grin grin grin grin Eboes can be really childish - I swear. They can argue anything cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
I bet you but the Igbodefender guy is trying to bring in a link between Yoruba and Igbo which I doubt its truthfulness because of obvious reasons..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by FisifunKododada: 3:48pm On Mar 18, 2018
Ritchiee:

I bet you but the Igbodefender guy is trying to bring in a link between Yoruba and Igbo which I doubt its truthfulness because of obvious reasons..

I guess in order to lay claim to the Olukunmis they have to try and muddle up the distinction between Yorubas and Igbos. These people have no honor - its quite sad and pathetic. tongue

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Klinee: 4:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
There is no Yoruba name in Ugbodu, most of their names are Igbo with few ancient Igala name like Ugbade. Nothing like ayo in most name I heard within the area, maybe the king decided to answer ayo but it's not Ugbodu name.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 18, 2018
FisifunKododada:
Even the king makes clear their origin and language. Again no debate - facts are stubborn.

What do these 3 Nigerians have in common?

1. Owelle Bamidele Azikiwe (Nnamdi Azikiwe's son)
2. Rt Hon. Rotimi Amaechi (Nigeria's Transport Minister)
And
HRH Ayo Isinyemeze (the Great Olukumi King) ?
One: They all have Yoruba first names, due to their parent's high regards for the Yoruba race, and

Two: They are all Igbos, going by their surnames, Azikiwe, Amaechi and Isinyemeze.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by LaudableXX: 4:27pm On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:

Guy, what are you saying? The traditional ruler of Ugbodu, is not the Odogwu. It is the Oloza. And his name is Obi Ayo Ochei Isinyemeze.

Secondly, Father which you said is 'Bami' in Olukumi language, also has the same meaning and intonation in standard Yoruba language, if I remember my Yoruba language lessons, correctly. Even the phrase which you quoted here - 'bring pure water come', in Olukumi language/dialect means exactly the same thing in Yoruba - ''mu pure water wa'. sad

Anyway, let me allow the native Yoruba speakers to give their opinion concerning this issue.

cc: Konquest, Deomelllo, Oodualover, 9jakool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by decode55(m): 4:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
16 pages of stupidity. Little surprise Nigeria is the way it is. Have fun, idiots.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2018
Ritchiee:

You haven't done research yet you have concluded that Uhe was never an ancient name for Ile Ife. You haven't read a book yet you have concluded that it is 'fake'.

That's the problem. You are like those people that were insisting that the world was flat when they were being told by 'revisionists' that it was in fact spherical.

Learn to have an open mind sometimes. Thank us later.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2018
LaudableXX:

Guy, what are you saying? The traditional ruler of Ugbodu, is not the Odogwu. It is the Oloza. And his name is Obi Ayo Ochei Isinyemeze.

Secondly, Father which you said is 'Bami' in Olukumi language, also has the same meaning and intonation in standard Yoruba language, if I remember my Yoruba language lessons, correctly. Even the phrase which you quoted here - 'bring pure water come', in Olukumi language/dialect means exactly the same thing in Yoruba - ''mu pure water wa'. sad

Anyway, let me allow the native Yoruba speakers to give their opinion concerning this issue.

cc: Konquest, Deomelllo, Oodualover, 9jakool

Isinyemeze is his surname and it is Igbo.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by FisifunKododada: 4:34pm On Mar 18, 2018
This thread is funny. Next we will debate if it was the British or Germans that colonized Nigeria. grin grin grin
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:
There is no Yoruba name in Ugbodu, most of their names are Igbo with few ancient Igala name like Ugbade. Nothing like ayo in most name I heard within the area, maybe the king decided to answer ayo but it's not Ugbodu name.

The surname of the king is undeniably Igbo. Saying Oloza HRH Ayo Isinyemeze is not Igbo is like saying Bamidele Azikiwe's not Igbo. Please take one Hero beer.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by LaudableXX: 4:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
Ritchiee:

Don't mind him. angry His links and assertions are totally wrong, from beginning to end. His claims hold no water, and are based on a falsehood of the highest order, especially the part about Moremi being one of their SE-Igbo people. Abi, is it not the same Moremi Ajasoro historical story, that we were all taught in primary school in Lagos?

Even the Olugbo of Ugbo kingdom in Ondo state has shed more light about Moremi, and the relationship she had with his people. In his own words, it is obvious that the Igbo invaders referred to in the Moremi Ajasoro story, were originally from Ugbo in present day Ondo state, and NOT aboriginals from Igbo land or Ala Igbo in the Southeast region.

In a statement issued by the Olugbo-in-Council, the Olugbo Oba Obateru Akinruntan, said: “We, the Olugbo–in–Council, found such (Ooni’s remarks about Moremi) unguarded statements and historical fallacy disturbing, particularly when such emanated from a monarch who is expected to be a custodian of history, customs and traditions of Yorubaland. We hereby state categorically that we are Ugbos, the aboriginal settlers and owners of Ile-Ife.

“Our forefathers descended from heaven, that is why we are called ‘Ugbo Atorunwo’.

“We are not Ibos (Igbos), who are from the South-East, and who have their own clearly researched and defined ancestry. To set the record straight, Moremi remains a traitor. She was a slave captured by Ugbo warriors during one of their many raids on Ile-Ife. She later became the wife of Osangangan Obamakin, the son of Oranfe, who was the paramount ruler of over 13 aboriginal communities of ancient Ugbomokun, which later came to be called Ile- Ife”.

The statement further read: “Oduduwa came to Ugbomokun as a stranger, and was welcomed in Ilero, the aboriginal palace of Osangangan Obamakin, which is still in existence in present-day Iremo, in Ile Ife. During the dynastic struggles, Osangangan Obamakin was directed by the oracles (Ifa and Osanyin) to leave Ile Ife. Moremi betrayed her husband’s trust, when she exposed the secret of the Ugbo warriors’ gallantry.

“Popular history states that Oduduwa, the progenitor of the Ooni, migrated ..... In another account by the Oba of Benin, recently, Oduduwa came from Benin. We ask that the Ooni should confirm his ancestral roots. It is also of importance to note that in the ancient custom of Yoruba, an incumbent king must have no living father. Also, no man from a female lineage of a ruling house is qualified to sit on the throne”. https://www.channelstv.com/2016/12/04/royal-controversy-ooni-ife-olugbo-ugbo-supremacy-battle/
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 18, 2018
FisifunKododada:
This thread is funny. Next we will debate if it was the British or Germans that colonized Nigeria. grin grin grin
cheesy We Southerners like to argue eh. We love debate. If only we can unite or cooperate more politically.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by LaudableXX: 4:44pm On Mar 18, 2018
igbodefender:
Isinyemeze is his surname and it is Igbo.

Ayo is his first name and it is Yoruba. Even the Olukunmi language has a lot of Yoruba words in it. Go and check! undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:46pm On Mar 18, 2018
Klinee:

Please do not mind them. They've been desperately trying to forcefully attache themselves to delta using any ethnic group they can think of. Sadly, each community they use always disregard them. It is pathetic and shameful and sparks on desperate. Ironically enough, delta is a state they always insult but yet desperately wishes to be part of.

Is it not ironic, that every evidence they have to support them of olukumi are from blogs or nairaland post. One stated he watched a documentary where an olukumi king stated they are yoruba....I asked to see the documentary and till now, I've yet to receive a reply.

They are PATHETIC!!!

I've never once in my entire years of living have I seen an olukumi state they are yoruba nor have I seen one fluent in yoruba nor have I seen one with a yoruba name including inlaws from that side. Not ONCE in my entire years of living. Even the celebrities from that side have NEVER once claim them nor have any yoruba name or to best of my knowledge speak yoruba. I don't any Anioma on this planet will tell you they have seen such.

As I read this thread, I already pity olukumi because I can clearly see they are about to go through the same thing itsekiri people go through with this people. I feel sorry for them. I pray yoruba does find a community in delta that accept to be yoruba. I really do because they obviously desperate for it as I can clearly see. I pray for their wish honestly.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami Does The Crate Challenge (Photos) / Video Of Tinubu Agbado Riddim Song / Isaac Fayose: With $1 (1400naira) I Can Eat 2 Eba, 1meat, 1 Ponmo & 1 Pure Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 230
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.