Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect (19377 Views)

10 Essential Safety Tips For When Driving In The Rain / 10 Safety Tips For Road Users / 10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by autojosh: 4:44pm On Mar 16, 2018

When God created us, we were meant to exploit the day and rest when it’s night. As years are passed by, human beings got engaged in activities that will keep them up both during the day and at night.

Like somewhere like Lagos, I don’t think there is something like day and night. Things keep happening, traders keep selling, and drivers keep driving. Most people have adapted to this radical change in lifestyle.

Driving at night can never be the same as driving during the daytime. They are two different things. Our ability of driving relies on sight. This our ability to see goes down with darkness when darkness comes around. In the absence of sunlight, darkness will gradually strangle your ability to see very well. Your depth perception, color recognition and peripheral vision are all tampered with.

Again, we are not as bright and alert at night as we are during daytime.

If you should carry out your research properly, you’ll see that up to 50% of fatal car accidents occur at night. Even though there are fewer cars on the road at night, the fatality rate on night driving is still on the high side.

At night, be assured you’ll be dealing with drunk drivers, sleep-deprived drivers, zombies and frustrated animals on the road.

But if you must be out driving at night, here are some safety night driving tips we have for you:

1. Avoid taking medications that can make you drowsy:

Even the food you eat matters. Eat food that is high in protein rather than ones high in carbohydrates which is more likely to make you feel sleepy.

2. Rest adequately before your night driving:
It is not advised to take up night driving after a stressful day. Driving with sleepy eyes is very dangerous.

3. Have someone around with you in the car:
They can help you stay awake with conversation. If the person can drive well too, share the driving duties.

4. Don’t take alcohol:

You have been hearing and seeing that statement before now. So, no much talk on that. Alcohol will simply impair your driving ability. It will make you react slowly to stimuli.

If you are lucky enough, you won’t cross path with already drunken drivers. Try as much as you can to be very careful especially over the weekend.

5. Don’t fiddle with your gadgets:
Activities such as talking on cell phone or texting are as dangerous as taking alcohol. It distracts driving. Ensure you’re safely parked if you must use them.

6. Ensure your headlights are working properly:
As we said earlier, visibility is of the essence while driving. Your headlights will aid your visibility to avoid possible hazards.

7. Ensure your brake lights are functional:
The brake light gives the drivers behind you signal that they need to slow down and keep sensible distance between you and them.

8. Most of the time, the less-enlightened drivers would want to set your retina on fire with their lights. When you’re a victim of this, just do this.

When such a car is approaching you from the opposite direction, divert your gaze. Use the lane marker or painted median stripes as a guide. If the person is behind you, use the nighttime reduced-glare setting on your rearview mirror.

9. Don’t be in haste:
The way you speed during the day should not be that way you speed at night. Always ply on a very controllable speed at night for the sake of visibility.

10. In case of car breakdown, ensure you park in a very safe place. Being on the road can be deadly. Some drivers are not sane. Some might even think you’re an armed robber or blood sucking demon if by chance they see you on the road. Be careful, respect yourself so that they don’t run over you.

https://autojosh.com/10-safety-tips-night-driving-never-neglect/

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 16, 2018
tru, reason y i like night travels is cos nothing is as sweet as waking up the following day to your destination instead of sitting all day getting nauseous and car sick

3 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Amirullaha(m): 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2018
ATM debited one baba in front of me without dispensing cash to him, baba grabbed me and shouted; "you are my witness ooooo"

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by NwaAmaikpe: 7:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
shocked

I am very guilty of this;
5. Don’t fiddle with your gadgets.

Most times when driving at night and I see scantily-clad queens of the night, I don't know when I compulsively fiddle with my joystick gadget.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by KendrickAyomide: 7:47pm On Mar 16, 2018

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Troublemaker007(m): 7:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
11. Never pick up a stranger.

12. Never argue with a police man at night.

13. If another vehicle hit you don’t stop, in fact speed away because it’s a deliberate ploy to get you to stop, come down from your car and you will be robbed.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Kmartt(m): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thanks for the safety tips op.
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by yhuci(m): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2018
Are u kidding me...
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by dongc(m): 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
It missed avoid using full beam when approaching oncoming vehicles..Nigerians almost use full beam not minding cars in opposite direction

7 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by abbeyoye2001(m): 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nice one thanks
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by alsudaes1(m): 7:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
No. 8 have always been my challenge undecided

I don't think using the palm to block the rays of light as described is advisable, one will loose concentration

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by sanerugwei: 7:55pm On Mar 16, 2018
14. Use anti glare night vision driving glasses.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Yoruba4Life: 8:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
Troublemaker007:
11. Never pick up a stranger.

12. Never argue with a police man at night.

13. If another vehicle hit you don’t stop, in fact speed away because it’s a deliberate ploy to get to stopped and robbed.

Only for 9ja... grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by psalmson001: 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
Most importantly, dim ur lights when you see an oncoming vehicle coz ur full beam can temporarily blind the oncoming driver which can casue accident.

Also, try as much as possible to avoid using full beam when driving directly behind another car. Na this one they vex me pass cause the side & inner mirrors reflects the light into the eyes of the driver in front of you.

Many nigerians are very guilty of this. When dey see another vehicle coming, thats wen they will put on full light not caring if the other driver has visual challenges or not. Some go even on full light on a road that has street lights........are u maaaad? *in lasisielenu's voice*

But still still, night driving is fun sha, especially between the hours of 11pm-5am when there is little or no traffic. Thats wen u will know that it can actually take you less than an hour from lekki-ajah to sango-ota.......if you know what i mean, den you know grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Cutehector(m): 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
Allow Jesus take the wheel...
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Isaacvin(m): 8:28pm On Mar 16, 2018
Cutehector:
Allow Jesus take the wheel...
do u mean like taking ur hands off d steering while driving?

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Cutehector(m): 8:29pm On Mar 16, 2018
Isaacvin:

do u mean like taking ur hands off d steering while driving?
yes cheesy
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by elvision1(m): 8:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
Just saw one of those checkpoint guys stand infront of a trailer along warri-sapele road shouting "pass na! Come Pass me na" and am thinking of Lagos-ibadan express road.

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Vince77(m): 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Most times when driving at night and I see scantily-clad queens of the night, I don't know when I compulsively fiddle with my joystick gadget.

Yeye Pikin grin
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Mutemenot(m): 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2018
Nigeria is the worst place u can drive in the night . Lorries go with tiny light as if it's bike or keke while cars go on full light without considering those opposite

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by hcupid(m): 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2018
Always dim your full headlamps ooo. I hate to see this at night, it's so fustrating. I was driving one night and the coming vehicle had the headlamp to the fullest, I wasn't seeing shit I had to be flashing the guy so he can understand but the person kept coming I say ok na, naso I put my own Ford fusion full light nobody tell the person he started flashing me back and then reduced his.
Abeg we should always try reducing our lights when a vehicle is oncoming you can activate back when it's pass

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 16, 2018
Amirullaha:
ATM debited one baba in front of me without dispensing cash to him, baba grabbed me and shouted; "you are my witness ooooo"

Did I laugh? Sure, I did! Funny dude grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Gryffindor: 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2018
hyth
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by ironheart(m): 8:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
Funny which lane marker are you talking about? How many roads has it?
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by kelvinjeremiah(m): 9:21pm On Mar 16, 2018
dongc:
It missed avoid using full beam when approaching oncoming vehicles..Nigerians almost use full beam not minding cars in opposite direction

This one na dey vex me pass.
And also, u don't use full beam on the street
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by PasNina(m): 10:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
11.) Never forget to always strap-on your seatbelt.

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by iswallker(m): 10:04pm On Mar 16, 2018
Use your night vision glasses is #1..

wink
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by iswallker(m): 10:06pm On Mar 16, 2018
kelvinjeremiah:

This one na dey vex me pass.
And also, u don't use full beam on the street

Nor vex, pothole full everywhere...

smiley
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Mrtesso: 10:28pm On Mar 16, 2018
Yoruba4Life:

Only for 9ja... grin
In Brazil, Mexico, Italy, Brooklyn, Chinatown, the list is endless....

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by d4real890(m): 10:34pm On Mar 16, 2018
Amirullaha:
Like seriously I can't stop laughing,how as in what was your reaction my guy?

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
Helpful tips.... Well-done and thank you for this.
Re: 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect by Coolgent(m): 11:18pm On Mar 16, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Chronic womaniser

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out The 43 Years Evolution Of Volkswagen Golf From MK1 To MK7 / New Car Crushes Retiree Owner To Death In Nsukka / Toyota To Stop The Production Of FJ Cruiser With The Final Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.