Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:09 PM

"The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. (1681 Views)

The Tragedy Of The Abba Kyari Surrogate Presidency By Farooq Kperogi / A List Of All Professor Pius Adesanmi's Articles On Nairaland. / Pius Adesanmi Comment On Attempts To Make Saraki Acting President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by naptu2: 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2018
The Tragedy of Lagos

@pius_adesanmi

Lagos state has the most opaque finances in Nigeria because she has been run since 1999 by cosmopolitan minds who need a progressive veneer for crude and conspicuous consumption. Other personal slave plantations such as Kwara, Delta, and Imo, are less opaque because the Emperor has no burden of pretending to be a progressive.

For instance, Okorocha openly parcels out Imo state's finances to himself, sister, daughter, son-inlaw, and intends to emulate Bukola Saraki by carrying the state's treasury to Abuja to continue in the Senate while a quisling superintends over the state for him. Imo state's finances do not need to be as opaque as what we have in Lagos because Okorocha is crude and unrefined and does not need the pretext of cosmopolitan, progressive sophistication like Tinubu and his boys in Lagos.

All over Nigeria, wherever the leaders are free to be brutes in the state of nature, the finances are usually more accessible. James Ibori and his boys in Delta are like Bukola Saraki and his boys in Kwara or Okorocha and his boys in Imo. Ibori, Uduaghan, Okowa - diseducated brutes who have no burden of civilization. They need no opacity in the finances of Delta. They are free.

Kogi under the late Abubakar Audu was a crude personal slavery plantation and there was no need for opaque finances in Lokoja either. For all his unprecedented worwority, Governor Yahaya Bello will not be able to extend the cruel fate of Kogi as one man's and one family's personal slave plantation like Lagos, Imo, Delta, and Kwara. The dynamics of Kogi do not conduce to a family who is not from the majority ethnic nationality in the state owning and operating her as a personal slave plantation. So Kogi will continue to be a crude property of transient adventurers with no need for opaque finances.

The fact that Lagos since 1999 has been run by well-read cosmopolitan minds with ostensible left-leaning and populist sensibilities - Tinubu, Fashola, Ambode - is instructive and should sensitize us to a grave danger. Lagos has remained a fundamental puzzle for those who have applied themselves to study her - how can Nigeria's most sophisticated state be one man's personal slave plantation since 1999?

Those who are puzzled by the tragic irony of Lagos miss the fact that nothing is more dangerous than the sophisticated, cosmopolitan mind that has decided to work against the common good by personalizing the Commonwealth.

A cosmopolitan mind that is set on this course - as has been the case in Lagos since 1999 - has enough intellectual fire power to pass off pure wind, puff, and powder as solidity, enough cerebral resources to make unquenchable greed and corruption and brazen personalization of the resources of the Commonwealth appear to the people as mutually-shared prosperity.

A cosmopolitan mind set on the course of crude exploitation and personalization of the resources of the state has enough cerebral matter to understand the power of identity myths and narratives. This explains why these sophisticated minds have constructed mythologies of the self for the Lagosian. The Lagosian has been screaming "Eko o ni baje," "Eko baje ti," and "Gedegbe l'Eko wa," with more gusto since 1999 than ever before in his history.

The louder he has screamed these mythologies of the self, the superior self, the busier Alpha Beta and Tinubu's numerous other technologies of personalization of the Commonwealth have been. The mythologies of the self constructed for the Lagosian are, in fact, diversionary mythologies of superiority.

So long as the Lagosian is chanting these mythologies of the self, he is distracted and looking down on the “bush man” from Ekiti, Osun, Oyo and other parts of the bush interior of Nigeria - don't even mention my poor Kogi! - and feeling superior. This superiority complex blinds him to the tragedy of his life as a citizen of Lagos. He does not know that the bush people of Ekiti are freer than him because they are not as enslaved to one man and one family as he is.

Investment in superiorist mythologies and other soporifics applied on the people by well-read cosmopolitans have guaranteed their ability to perfect their strategies of financial opacity in state transactions nearly unchecked for twenty years.

Lagos is Africa’s biggest crime scene. Because of the size of her economy, it is the closest Africa now has to Mobutu Sese Seko’s Zaire in terms of state capture by one person. Only this person is not crude like Mobutu and has played a sophisticated politics that has glued an entire ethnic nation to his persona as their liberator, hence they are totally hostile to any scrutiny of the man.

Part of me thinks that resistance by mainstream Lagos and the Yoruba at large to any serious scrutiny of Tinubu’s personalization of the finances of Lagos is due to the fact that folks have bought so deep into constructions of his persona as their liberator and hero that they are afraid of what they’ll find. Letting go of identity mythologies has never been easy in the history of human civilization.

In terms of the obligation to scrutinize, it must also be noted that Tinubu and his boys have largely co-opted the entire intellectual base of the southwest into their project and narratives. This explains why this sort of state capture could go on for so long without rigorous intellectual challenge in a region which houses the bulk of the social sciences in Nigeria. No southwest intellectual has seriously interrogated project Tinubu since 1999.

But you are always going to be as strong as your weakest link. Ambode is less read than Babatunde Fashola. In the long chain of Tinubu boys, he is one of the least sophisticated. It is therefore no surprise that he is the one threatening to undo an architecture of slavery, exploitation, and personalization of the state that has been twenty years in the making.

With his gra-gra and woolly-headed over-taxation and over-levying, he has finally applied a much-needed shock therapy to Lagosians. Folks are finally starting to wake up. Folks are finally starting to smell the coffee.

2019 is pregnant. For the sake of Lagosians, I hope it gives birth to freedom from slavery.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155651827841715&id=602736714

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by naptu2: 6:12pm On Mar 17, 2018
naptu2:
Another masterpiece from Professor Pius Adesanmi. He is so good that it's hard to choose which of his articles is my favourite, but here are nine fantastic articles that he wrote.

Letter Of Gratitude To Senator Iyiola Omisore (2010)
https://www.nairaland.com/562153/letter-gratitude-senator-iyiola-omisore

And It Came To Pass (2009)
http://saharareporters.com/2009/07/08/and-it-came-pass

And It Came To Pass II (King Jona's Miracles). (2013)
https://www.nairaland.com/1272098/king-jonas-miracle-pius-adesanmi

General Buhari: A Whole Former Head Of State! (2014)
https://www.nairaland.com/1923568/general-buhari-whole-former-head

Was God Angry the Day He Created The Nigerian? (2015)
http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/30/was-god-angry-day-he-created-nigerian-pius-adesanmi

I May Renounce My Canadian Citizenship By Pius Adesanmi (2015)
https://www.nairaland.com/2800523/may-renounce-canadian-citizenship-pius#40990338

Professor Pius Adesanmi On 2face's Planned Protest. (2017)
https://www.nairaland.com/3606883/professor-pius-adesanmi-2faces-planned#53352613

El Rufai, Tambuwal & The Retraining Of Fish. (2017)
https://www.nairaland.com/4168907/el-rufai-tambuwal-retraining-fish

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by HajimeSaito(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2018
Interesting read.
Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by AntiWailer: 6:33pm On Mar 17, 2018
Very interesting.

When they were screaming change I told my People that the change must be total.

Both center and Lagos.

I dnt know why people like Fela Durotoye and Sowore will not contest for Governor of Lagos State and rescue Lagos from TINUBU instead of wasting their time contesting for Presidency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by three: 7:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
Lagos can be so much more for so much less (in terms of tax and sincere effort)

1 Like

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by Doerstech(m): 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2018
HMMMMMMMMM
Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by afroniger: 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
Nice read. But I must say that the author is merely being naive. In the world of politics, the likes of Tinubu will always exist, whether we like it or not. It is just the nature of the game. There will always be ex-leaders who will attempt to self-perpetuate themselves long after they've left the scene. Some call them 'Godfathers', others prefer 'Kingmaker' or 'Shot callers'. Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ahmadu Bello, Buhari, Adelabu, Adedibu, Rasheed Ladoja, Olusola Saraki, Bukola Saraki, Olusegun Obasanjo, James Ibori, Godswill Akpabio, Theophelus Danjuma, Atiku Abubakar, Orji Uzor Kalu, Peter Obi, (Okorocha is trying to become one too) e.t.c. They have all successfully played the roles of influencial 'kingmaker' in one form or another and at some point in our political history. Some more successful than others, but all of them share this same attribute.

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that has set BAT apart is that he has managed to somehow retain his influence (which I attribute to 'luck' on his part since many of his contemporary ex-governors weren't so lucky in self-perpertuating themselves on the political scene of their states after office for as long as he has). Even within Lagos PDP, Bode George is their central rallying figure. The idea that without Tinubu, 'slavery' or godfatherism will suddenly end in Lagos is but mere wishful thinking, particularly in a state as rich and important as Lagos. There will always be ambitious politicians willing to project themselves. And they will continue remaining relevant until their luck runs out, or until they die. undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by LiberaDeus: 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2018
Just superb, perfect literature exposing a simple truth

1 Like

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by Ovamboland(m): 8:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
I am a fan of most of Pius Adesanmi's articles. The fact that Tinubu has a stranglehold on Lagos is not in doubt neither is it not untrue that Lagos finances needs to be less opaque.

I however disagree that not paying appropriate taxes will be in the short term or long term interest of Lagos. The fact that politicians misappropriate part of our taxes does not justify the crime of tax evasion or worse still tax non assessment.
Americans may not be happy their government spends trillions of dollars fighting wars in the middle East or maintaining armies all over the world. They are still not free to refuse to pay to support their government.

I assume Pius maintains a property or properties in Canada, can he care to share the percentage of his property value he pays as tax to the government of his city or territory of residence?
Let's compare and contrast. Can he tell us the tax to GDP ratio of his city or territory and let's compare to what Lagos is able to collect with it's huge ratio by Nigerian standards. How do we hope to develop to the level of Canada without fostering a tax paying culture?
The only sustainable way to remove or reduce opacity in State finances is to ensure more citizens pay their fair share, then more of us will have incentive to ask how the tax money is applied.
Openness in governance does not usually happen of its own accord, people with stake in the polity make it happen.

I can't imagine a citizen who earned a million naira a year and pays about 100,000 -200,000 as tax will collect 2,000 naira every four years to vote a thief to go and steal his 400,000 -800,000.

4 Likes

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by Konquest: 11:42am On Mar 28, 2018
afroniger:
Nice read. But I must say that the author is merely being naive. In the world of politics, the likes of Tinubu will always exist, whether we like it or not. It is just the nature of the game. There will always be ex-leaders who will attempt to self-perpetuate themselves long after they've left the scene. Some call them 'Godfathers', others prefer 'Kingmaker' or 'Shot callers'. Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ahmadu Bello, Buhari, Adelabu, Adedibu, Rasheed Ladoja, Olusola Saraki, Bukola Saraki, Olusegun Obasanjo, James Ibori, Theophelus Danjuma, Atiku Abubakar, Orji Uzor Kalu, Peter Obi, (Okorocha is trying to become one too) e.t.c. They have all successfully played the roles of influencial 'kingmaker' in one form or another and at some point in our political history. Some more successful than others, but all of them share this same attribute.

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that has set BAT apart is that he has managed to somehow retain his influence (which I attribute to 'luck' on his part since many of his contemporary ex-governors weren't so lucky in self-perpertuating themselves on the political scene of their states after office for as long as he has). Even within Lagos PDP, Bode George is their central rallying figure. The idea that without Tinubu, 'slavery' or godfatherism will suddenly end in Lagos is but mere wishful thinking, particularly in a state as rich and important as Lagos. There will always be ambitious politicians willing to project themselves. And they will continue remaining relevant until their luck runs out, or until they die. undecided
^^^^^
^^^^^
Beautifully written from beginning to the end! ... High Five!

Pius Adesanmi's bolded submissions RIGHT BELOW in the last 3 paragraphs of his Facebook post
AS REPRODUCED HERE by naptu2 are way off the mark... I don't get his point!

"But you are always going to be as strong as your weakest link. Ambode is less read than Babatunde Fashola. In the long chain of Tinubu boys, he is one of the least sophisticated. It is therefore no surprise that he is the one threatening to undo an architecture of slavery, exploitation, and personalization of the state that has been twenty years in the making."

Ambode is NOT less read than Babatunde Fasola IMHO... I don't get the guys's point... is he trying to get noticed or what? undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by LaudableXX: 11:50am On Mar 28, 2018
naptu2:
The Tragedy of Lagos

@pius_adesanmi

....With his gra-gra and woolly-headed over-taxation and over-levying, he has finally applied a much-needed shock therapy to Lagosians. Folks are finally starting to wake up. Folks are finally starting to smell the coffee.

2019 is pregnant. For the sake of Lagosians, I hope it gives birth to freedom from slavery.

No government can tax itself into prosperity. undecided And taxes cannot be raised above the citizens' ability to pay....
Re: "The Tragedy Of Lagos" By Professor Pius Adesanmi. by tolajay: 1:13pm On Mar 28, 2018
Quite a read.

As I moved through Lagos yesterday, a stint of this thought flashed through my mind.

While Tinubu is the centerpiece of Lagos politics, it is a global phenomenon to have kingmakers in every setting.

Is this writer positing a check on Tinubu's dominance or the act of Godfatherism Ad Kingmakership?

naptu2:

(1) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen: Reasons Why Former General Yakubu Gowon Is Tongue-tied / Who Could Femi Fani Kayode Be Talking About In This Eye-popping Post / Breaking: Again,okorocha,uche Nwosu, Leads Protest In Owerri Against APC (photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.