Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic (7536 Views)

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make / Top 5 Cars The Nigerian Police Are Usually Afraid To Stop At Checkpoints / Best Oil For Cars In Nigeria Under N4k - Advanced Auto Mechanic Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by AutoJoshNG: 12:54am On Mar 18, 2018
As a vehicle owner, you must have had reasons to visit at least one auto mechanic. Most of us know and use more than one auto mechanic. However, those that are capable of paying big-bucks to the major car dealership workshops usually don’t jump from one workshop to another.

These are some of the reasons several car owners jump from one mechanic to another.

1. Availability issues: By limiting yourself to just one auto mechanic, you will be at the mercy of whenever he is available. For example, assuming your car breaks down, and you go to your auto mechanic only to discover that he has to attend to more than 15 cars before he even gets the chance to see yours. If you had more than one auto mechanic, you could easily overcome this problem because if one auto mechanic is very busy at the moment, the other may be.

2. Varying Levels of Expertise: Different professionals have different levels of expertise and various skills. One auto mechanic might be very good in a certain area but have limited skills in another. So you’ll see people running to mechanic no.2 when the first one has damaged their car more than the way it was.

3. Cost Factors: Different auto mechanics have different pricing strategies and different costs associated with them. Having more than one auto mechanic affords car owners the opportunity to get quotes from different parties and decide on the one suitable for their budget at that particular time.

4. Comparison of Job Performance Level: Having different auto mechanics affords the chance to compare different performance levels and make a decision on the first person to go to the next time.

The best option is usually the dealership workshops but most of them are beyond the financial reach of average Nigerians. Even if you have the funds to patronize them, their services can be abysmal at times.

How many mechanics do you use for your car and why? Tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/reasons-use-one-auto-mechanic/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Mynd44: 6:53am On Mar 18, 2018
And more than one generator mechanic
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Embell: 7:07am On Mar 18, 2018
5. Trust issues.

22 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Goodnuel: 7:08am On Mar 18, 2018
Variety has always been a good thing...

If you are owing one, you go to another...

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by NaturallySmart0: 7:09am On Mar 18, 2018
I have just one at the moment bcuz I believe he knows the workings of my car better. The last time I tried another mechanic close to my house, the story wasn't nice. Why I'm not in a hurry to get another is bcuz he's very honest and knows the job too.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Aden777(m): 7:26am On Mar 18, 2018
MOST mechanics are not straight forward... 3 years ago, I took a car to d mechanic (I've been suspecting him dat he uses d car for another parole) he den gave me tym tp come back. I later went to pick d car... When I got home, alas, there was a crate of softball drinks in the booth... The next tym we met, he couldn't ask, n I didn't say anything...
As expected, the content name history, tongue d crate still dey where I keep am

4 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by goldman777: 7:31am On Mar 18, 2018
I don't have a mechanic they all scammers most of them have very limited knowledge and do trial and error that creates more problems with your car.i just choose any i see wen my car breaksdown and hope not to be scammed again angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by nedu2000(m): 7:31am On Mar 18, 2018
Most times we get these multiple mechanics by chance. When you car spoils at ikeja you find one in that area when he finishes you save his number. Car spoils at yaba you save the mech's number that helped. Car spoils at okokomaiko you save the mech's contact too who helped you restart

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Neil0072009(m): 8:05am On Mar 18, 2018
Lol my mechanic dat used to fix my car was a thief cause he know we don’t know too much about the car anytime some thing happens he call big money even when brain box got issues he said we will fix it for 40k for just Eod o so later somebody told me the brain box only cost roughly 15-25 but him saying shit all the time and we can’t save money cause off him... serious I hate the guy now looking for new mechanic I know they are not 100 honest but have pity or na car someone come lagos to use all him money for? Just EOD V6 we have spend crazy money on it... any nice car mechanic here at satellite town in Lagos please drop your nunber

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by ariesbull: 8:13am On Mar 18, 2018
Neil0072009:
Lol my mechanic dat used to fix my car was a thief cause he know we don’t know too much about the car anytime some thing happens he call big money even when brain box got issues he said we will fix it for 40k for just Eod o so later somebody told me the brain box only cost roughly 15-25 but him saying shit all the time and we can’t save money cause off him... serious I hate the guy now looking for new mechanic I know they are not 100 honest but have pity or na car someone come lagos to use all him money for? Just EOD V6 we have spend crazy money on it... any nice car mechanic here at satellite town in Lagos please drop your nunber

Why you even buy such a useless care like EOD and v6 for that matter

You try shaaa
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Unionised(m): 8:14am On Mar 18, 2018
Gazzuzz is my mechanic.

That's actually demeaning.
That word mechanic has been bastardized jare grin

He is my Engineer.

Sounds better....

7 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by waveman2: 8:29am On Mar 18, 2018
I actually have more than one. Cos when the first tells me something is bad I go to the next to verify. This has helped to save me from all these trial and error mechanics. The last time I used one mechanic I almost ended up selling off the car cos he damaged it.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by chloedogie(m): 8:30am On Mar 18, 2018
I

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 18, 2018
Unionised:
Gazzuzz is my mechanic.

That's actually demeaning.
That word mechanic has been bastardized jare grin

He is my Engineer.

Sounds better....

please do you have his contact? kindly reply back with his phone number if you do.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Goldenheart(m): 8:37am On Mar 18, 2018
Wale & Kazeem.... undecided
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Rick9(m): 8:56am On Mar 18, 2018
Nigeria mechanics cast
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by shortgun(m): 9:12am On Mar 18, 2018
chloedogie:
I will share mine why I will now have more than one.

I drive a C230 sport Benz compressor and never had a reason to visit a mech for a long time outside normal service. Entering my office one day, my key fell and the chip had a problem thay made me to take it to a tech guy that fixed it and I asked him to recommend a very good and trusted mech guy should I need his services. Under two months I had a reason to.

I saw a drop of whitish oil in my radiator tank and took it to the mech guy. That was the beginning of my problems. He diagnosed the cooler block and I ordered it changed which he did. Three days later, same problem. Took it back to him as I want to hit Lagos with the car as my best monster on the road. He asked me to drive it down and when I'm back he will change the top gasket. I differed my trip and told him to fix it before my trip.

Three days later, I went to pick my car when I cranked it, I heard one krakrakra sound for about three seconds then went down. Asked him what it is, he said the chain wasn't well set and I should go with it maybe it will self adjust if it doesn't, he will fix it.

3.30am I hit the road from Abuja, after abaji, over heating started. I checked one water pipe don burst. That took me almost four hours to solve. Getting to ekiti, I Parked for lunch, only to see smoke coming from my exhaust pipe. Engine dripping oil. Drove to Lagos fixed the oil came back gave him the car to fix. Problem started. After self acclaimed fix, six problems started.

1. Engine does krakrakra for like 5secs.
2. One terrible sound when gear is changing.
3. Belt was halved into two.
4. Power steering oil dripping.
5. The belt that was halved tore my bonnet rug into two.
6. Car switches of when on drive and not moving.
7. Check engine light permanently on.
8. Kick starter burnt and had to be replaced.
9. Crankshaft gone bad due to only God knows reason.

That was what I suffered from a mech guy just from one single oil drop issue to multiple problems due to me over trusting him and monopolizing him. He's presently fixing the car since Thursday and when he's done, I will look for three solidly sound mech guys and always rotate them.

The stupid guy leaves my car at the mercy of his apprentices and this is the result.

I can't even use only gazzuz as good and trusted as he is. I will use a minimum of three good gazzuzs.
Where is this mechanic located in Abuja? I own a w203 too.
Mistake u did was to leave ur car with them.
Benz w203 is a very tricky car to diagnose, don't always believe their diagnosis.
I'll suggest u take your car from them to avoid more damage.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Neil0072009(m): 9:26am On Mar 18, 2018
ariesbull:

Why you even buy such a useless care like EOD and v6 for that matter

You try shaaa
Yes o but I said was not mature about car at the place but now I will never advise anyone to get V6 cars even if you are very rich it does not make any sense at all my friends get fuel to 5k for they 4 plugs cars and it’s stay for weeks but this one hmm lol
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by chloedogie(m): 9:31am On Mar 18, 2018
shortgun:

Where is this mechanic located in Abuja? I own a w203 too.
Mistake u did was to leave ur car with them.
Benz w203 is a very tricky car to diagnose, don't always believe their diagnosis.
I'll suggest u take your car from them to avoid more damage.

Somewhere close to gudu after one oando filling station like you are driving to house on the rock church. Do u stay in Abuja and do u have a good mechanic?
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by feelgoodstuffs(m): 11:11am On Mar 18, 2018
I wish I can get another good Mech too as a substitute, cos whatever this one says is what I have to believe, i gat no choice
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Unionised(m): 12:47pm On Mar 18, 2018
Cretaceous:

please do you have his contact? kindly reply back with his phone number if you do.

Gazzuzz, someone needs your attention.

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by redcap: 1:52pm On Mar 18, 2018
nedu2000:
Most times we get these multiple mechanics by chance. When you car spoils at ikeja you find one in that area when he finishes you save his number. Car spoils at yaba you save the mech's number that helped. Car spoils at okokomaiko you save the mech's contact too who helped you restart

You must have been driving a jalopy . grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by helpishere(m): 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2018
Too many cooks spoil the soup. If you have multiple mechanics, how will they know the car history?
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
Unionised:

Gazzuzz, someone needs your attention.
Thanks bro
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by Shugarlord213: 12:54am On Mar 19, 2018
Someone should help me out here, I met this dude online and he showed me a car Toyota Camry 2000 and that the car is going for 300k. Just that the only problem is the AC. That it needs to be refilled.

Some questions I need answered by my professionals here

1)How much does a AC Camry cost
2)is there any possibility that I am going to be scammed. Because the dude sounded so genuine

The car is in Ogun State meanwhile I told him I was at Lagos. (Am abt Edo)He even insisted I come for inspection. I no wan waste money and time
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by shortgun(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
chloedogie:

Somewhere close to gudu after one oando filling station like you are driving to house on the rock church. Do u stay in Abuja and do u have a good mechanic?
Yes I live in Abuja, as for knowing a good mechanic I don't think there is any good one, they are all the same.
What I do is that I have different mechanics for different problems grin
It's always good to have knowledge of your car
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by chloedogie(m): 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2018
shortgun:

Yes I live in Abuja, as for knowing a good mechanic I don't think there is any good one, they are all the same.
What I do is that I have different mechanics for different problems grin
It's always good to have knowledge of your car

My knowledge is wide in my toyota and peugeot, I will sure contact you.
Re: 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic by solaris1: 3:33am On Apr 22, 2018
hi, my everwise nairalanders, does anybody know a very reliable and experienced Toyota paseo mechanic that won't drill holes in my pocket, I got a 1992 paseo, slightly old smiley and I'm fixing things, trying to avoid trial and error mechanics, i reside in ogba, thank you for your speedy reply

(1) (Reply)

2017 Hyundai Elantra Available for sale in Owerri / How Did The Corolla Dust It's Peers To Become The Most Expensive Ride In Naija? / High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon Bulbs And Nigeria Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.