Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others (27205 Views)

Russia Retaliates, Expels 85 Foreign Diplomats. France, 34. Spain 27. Italy 24 / Saudi Govt Critic Disappears In Saudi Consulate And Saudi Govt Implicated / Russia Expels Diplomats From 23 Countries As Spy Row Deepens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by duni04(m): 9:02pm On Mar 18, 2018
alabo1:

Sorry chap u are seemingly the ignorant one here. Russia did not take over half of Ukraine. She annexed Crimea where her black sea fleet is based. This was a reaction to western (America and her European allies) plans to incorporate Ukraine into NATO and ultimately deny russia access to a warm sea port and cripple her as a Naval Power since the base in Crimea would be a NATO Port. This was what caused the so called Ukrainian revolution. The conditions of the loan offered to the ousted ukrainian president - Yanukovych were intended to qualify ukraine for Nato membership which was a direct violation of the agreement signed by the west and the soviet union before the break up that the west would not accept former soviet union countries into Nato. Realizing the ulterior motive for the loan, Putin offered the same loan to Yanukovych with lighter terms which the latter accepted. However the west created and supported the insurgency in Ukraine that led to his removal and recognized a non elected government that came into power violently because it suited their ulterior motives. Putin did what any true Patriotic/Nationalist leader did and annexed crimea to ensure Russia's naval status. While the legality of the process is open to debate it is no different from america's incursions into iraq and libya for national interest.

In Syria Russia's support is also for strategic reasons as her sole military base outside Russian territory is in syria and given her role in middle eastern affairs she needs one. This is no different from America's support of equally tyrannical and oppressive governments of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states for oil and strategic interests. Food for thought: is the Bassad led Syrian Govt. more tyrannical or oppressive than the Saudi State where you cannot even criticize the govt. much less protest in public?

As for Russia's role in the second world war i leave for another day but suggest you read up more on European history.

I would suggest you spend less time accepting information from CNN and and read more books/articles. Western hypocrisy can only be deciphered through all round knowledge. Peace
Bro you made wonderful points here but I think it's you who needs to swerve away from reading Russian propaganda. The Russia of today is not the former Soviet Union. This is not the cold war of the 70s or 80s. Communism failed and was buried in 1989. Russia today is a free market economy and a democracy, albeit a fake one. We could understand the aggression of the Soviets towards the West from the 50s to the 90s. It was all about protecting and propagating a system (communism) they thought was the ideal. The aggression of the West towards the Soviets was similarly about protecting and propagating free market principles, democracy and freedom around the world. Communism failed as a socio economic system in the 90s. So what is Russia's grouse with the West today? What ideology is present day Russia trying to protect and propagate in today's world? The answer is corruption, dictatorship gangsterism, and weapons. Nothing more. There is no ideology behind Putin's continuous hounding of NATO, the EU and the West. Putin has embraced and preached this seige mentality where he imagines NATO is deliberately conspiring to expand into Russia using former Soviet countries, whereas it's these ex Soviet republics that are pushing to enter the free market of the EU and enjoy the benefits therein. Putin's Russia wants these countries to perpetually remain within its orbit when their interests are best served in the EU. What possible economic benefit could Georgia and Ukraine enjoy from remaining Russian satellite states? Corruption? Cheap weapons and gas? You have to travel to former Soviet countries or Warsaw pact countries to see the level of desperation of these countries to enter the EU because they recognise the economic benefits. The thirst for EU membership is not coming from Washington or Brussels, it's coming from the streets of Kiev, Minsk and Belgrade. Russia has absolutely nothing to offer these countries. In fact Russia's Or Putin's agenda for wanting to keep these countries under his orbit is is create a self imagined corrupt, poverty stricken, gangster
and dictator run utopia in Europe. Nothing more. Russia has an economy worse than Italy's. What exactly is the catch for any country to join any kind of Russian alliance? Countries currently under Moscow's orbit, the likes of Belarus, Kazhakstan and Uzbekistan, are among the most crime ridden societies in Europe with little or no democratic participation and dictators in power. Is that Russia's new gift to the world after the failure of communism?

4 Likes

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by SmartyPants(m): 10:37pm On Mar 18, 2018
CSTR2:

So if the south -South claim to be Cameroonian, Nigeria should just give it to them?

Your logic is faulty.

The person i quoted made it seem as though Russia acted unilaterally to claim Crimea whereas this is not the case.

The question of self determination is an international grey area and there is no legally proven solution. However in one case the International Court of Justice held that the right to self representation (and by default self determination) had an erga omnes character. I.e an absolute right which all states are bound to respect. As such, if the case goes to an international court, it is likely to be decided in favor of any true separatist movement.

The problem is simply the fact that these international courts lack any power to enforce decisions and rely on the political good faith of the parties to the case. As such, issues such as seccession come down to who has the more political clout as opposed to what is obtainable from the applicable laws.

So whatever you think is faulty in my logic os far from it.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by joinnow: 10:44pm On Mar 18, 2018
You don't play with superpower
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by CSTR2: 12:04am On Mar 19, 2018
SmartyPants:

The person i quoted made it seem as though Russia acted unilaterally to claim Crimea whereas this is not the case.

The question of self determination is an international grey area and there is no legally proven solution. However in one case the International Court of Justice held that the right to self representation (and by default self determination) had an erga omnes character. I.e an absolute right which all states are bound to respect. As such, if the case goes to an international court, it is likely to be decided in favor of any true separatist movement.

The problem is simply the fact that these international courts lack any power to enforce decisions and rely on the political good faith of the parties to the case. As such, issues such as seccession come down to who has the more political clout as opposed to what is obtainable from the applicable laws.

So whatever you think is faulty in my logic os far from it.
So the point is that Russia bullied Ukraine and took over their land unjustly.

Don't try to paint it otherwise.

Russia is as much an imperialist as the United States if not worse.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Sufisunni: 1:02am On Mar 19, 2018
USA and UK killed more than 2 million people in Afghanistan and Iraq but these of children of CNN and BBC news will never see that as wrong. Putin with all his oppression has not killed anything close to that , but is being called names. Saudi has the highest number of beheading per person in the whole world but is walking free and Iran is being castigated even though Iran practices Democracy. And UK is just a small island that Putin will finish in the blink of an eye. UK should count Germany, France, USA and others out. Face your baseless accusation.

1 Like

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by timesup234: 1:40am On Mar 19, 2018
Sufisunni:
USA and UK killed more than 2 million people in Afghanistan and Iraq but these of children of CNN and BBC news will never see that as wrong. Putin with all his oppression has not killed anything close to that , but is being called names. Saudi has the highest number of beheading per person in the whole world but is walking free and Iran is being castigated even though Iran practices Democracy. And UK is just a small island that Putin will finish in the blink of an eye. UK should count Germany, France, USA and others out. Face your baseless accusation.
It won't take Russia up to 5 minutes to destroy the whole of United Kingdom of death and disease. The United Kingdom is a small pie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by abimic(m): 5:36am On Mar 19, 2018
MrNigeria2018:

UK is nothing to Russians

They even called UK a small island and that got UK politicians upset

UK has got no balls

Take USA support a way from UK and see UK as useless as any small country in the World
Just the same way US is nothing to NK, dude, everything isn't about outright war, talking about political war, going into the trenches, gather supports, UK never walks alone. UK is loved by many but Russia is feared by many and fear doesn't do it these days. US didn't even hide their immediate support for UK. Fear women when in power, they have brains to pull the trigger men fear.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by duni04(m): 5:37am On Mar 19, 2018
Sufisunni:
Are you refereeing a killing competition between the West and Russia? Saudi Arabia's beheading record has nothing to do with anything as long as it's robbers and heroine and cocaine smugglers that are getting beheaded, not political opponents like in Russia. Iran is not and has never been a democracy! Ayatollah Khomeini makes all the major decisions and even has to approve candidates for the Presendential elections. That's like Russian style democracy where Putin also abolished elections to regional and provincial positions and replaced with Presendential appointments. You sir have been caught in the web of Russian propaganda.
If Russia spent half the money and time it spends on trolls and prooaganda laced misinformation, it would be a stronger and less corrupt country.

1 Like

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by duni04(m): 5:47am On Mar 19, 2018
timesup234:
It won't take Russia up to 5 minutes to destroy the whole of United Kingdom of death and disease. The United Kingdom is a small pie
The UK is a small pie where the Russian elite and oligarchs love to spend their laundered petro dollars? Where the oligarchs and politicians from Russia love to buy real estate for their wives, girlfriends and children? Aren't Russians the greatest hypocrites in the world? If the West is such a big bad wolf, why steal money from Russia and plough and stash in the West? Or is Russia so useless, poor and insecure that their oligarchs prefer stashing their loot in the West?
And as for you sir, when last did you visit Moskva or Sant Peterbook? Have you ever even applied for a visa to Russia before? If you're so in love with Russia's power, you should go there and see what life is like, especially for people like you
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Notatribalist(m): 7:08am On Mar 19, 2018
AFONJAPIG:
ewu and who is living in Nigeria... the tym I enter obodo oyimbo u still dey suck ur mama flat breast... may devil fart on ur shallow grave
my sis sorry if I have wrongly quoted you.I have absolutely no reason to quote you.I actually wanted to quote Hendrix,so I am sorry sis.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by SmartyPants(m): 8:15am On Mar 19, 2018
CSTR2:

So the point is that Russia bullied Ukraine and took over their land unjustly.

Don't try to paint it otherwise.

Russia is as much an imperialist as the United States if not worse.

No, the point is that Crimea does not belong to Ukraine and therefore it is not their land. The people of Crimea decided to be part of Russia, exercising freewill and rose up to actually fight for this. The point i was making there is that this is accepted in international law, and Russia acted well within its political rights to interfere in this particular process.

1 Like

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by teeghurl(f): 8:19am On Mar 19, 2018
MrNigeria2018:

Pls, just shut that gutter you called mouth

Very dumb

She doesn’t even know what she is talking about

Who told the world that Saddam Hussein has WMD?

Who has killed over 2 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Who turned Middle East to war zone today?

America and UK destroyed all these peaceful countries including Libya and Yemen

Pls, just Bleep off with your pathetic sorry ass

You are very stup!d, go ahead and lick Putin's ass as your grand father that he is. Have you solved your own issue first before putting that your rotten mouth in other's?
UK and US destroyed the world peace abi, how come they are the same ones you run to when you're in trouble?
I never said UK and US are innocent but justifying what happened in Salisbury is barbaric. Open your mind and don't let sentiment becloud your sense of reasoning
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by CSTR2: 12:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
SmartyPants:

No, the point is that Crimea does not belong to Ukraine and therefore it is not their land. The people of Crimea decided to be part of Russia, exercising freewill and rose up to actually fight for this. The point i was making there is that this is accepted in international law, and Russia acted well within its political rights to interfere in this particular process.

So if the south -south rises up to ask to join cameroon, France has the right to invade Nigeria by proxy and take over.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by SmartyPants(m): 12:58pm On Mar 19, 2018
CSTR2:

So if the south -south rises up to ask to join cameroon, France has the right to invade Nigeria by proxy and take over.

and take-over where?

So long as the south-south people have decided to leave Nigeria to join Cameroon of their own volition, and France does not physically invade Nigeria with her own troops, then any support provided is perfectly fine.

But maybe you know something that i don't about international law... so you tell me, is there something wrong with it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 1:02pm On Mar 19, 2018
[quote author=kingkakaone post=65939795]
U are being one sided.
How do u know that Putin was responsible? Most people know that the west hate him so much for being against most of their plans and they would tie things like this to him so they can hit him but what Britain fail to understand is that they are alone on this.
Russia will face them totally because they don't have the whole EU block to hide under anymore.
We will see who will lose more between Britain who has has never endured series of sanctions or Russia that is enjoying sanctions up and down.
Russia knows that Britain is alone so they will strike hard because they are like just like a single man since Brexit.[/quote ]
Ever heard of NATO

1 Like

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
[quote author=kels4fun post=65969394][/quote]
NATO was created to counter an Hitler like movement not economic sanctions here and there.

When the US slammed Russia with sanctions, did u see any NATO individual nation followed suit?
But they would have followed if it was an issue of war.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 4:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
kingkakaone:

NATO was created to counter an Hitler like movement not economic sanctions here and there.

When the US slammed Russia with sanctions, did u see any NATO individual nation followed suit?
But they would have followed if it was an issue of war.
I thought you said they are alone in terms of war.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
kels4fun:

I thought you said the are alone in terms of war.
Go through my post again and this time do it slowly so u can see how I repeatedly used the word "sanction" more than once.
Thanks
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
kingkakaone:

Go through my post again and this time do it slowly so u can see how I repeatedly used the word "sanction" more than once.
Thanks
NATO’s purpose is to guarantee the freedom and security of its members through political and military means.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 19, 2018
kels4fun:

NATO’s purpose is to guarantee the freedom and security of its members through political and military means.
OK o, let's wait and see if any NATO nation will join Britain when sanctions start flying around between both them and Russia.

1 Like

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Appleyard(m): 11:45pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Prove? D nerve gas used is Russian (Novichok)... D whole furore isn't over d assassination attempt but d fact dat d nerve agent was used on British Soil .
And so what? Any high placed personnel or connected secret organization could have done that. It is like saying Russia is responsible for an AK47 found at a crime scene of murder, simply because the gun was produced by Russia.

TThe UK administration's claim are baseless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Appleyard(m): 11:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
saaron:
And you think Russia will be so stupid to use an equipment that will be trace to them in an attack in a foreign country? Russians are no fools. Somebody somewhere is trying to frame Russia for attack they never commit.

Common sense. That is what you just showcased. Only zombies would believe what the Russo phobic UK is saying.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Appleyard(m): 11:51pm On Mar 19, 2018
ollah2:

Several MPs have retweeted claims that scientists at the British lab investigating the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter are actually struggling to identify the source of the nerve agent used.

Craig Murray, the former UK ambassador to Uzbekistan turned blogger, wrote on his website that scientists at Porton Down, the center responsible for identifying the nerve agent allegedly used in the attack against the Skripals, have failed to find evidence of Russian “culpability.” He said a “well-placed” source in the Foreign Office told him.

Murray added scientists had been “resentful” over the pressure put on them to prove the military-grade nerve agent is of Russian manufacture. The blogger’s comments and concerns were retweeted by Labour MP Chris Williamson, a frequent guest on RT, and the Scottish National Party’s Douglas Chapman.

Quit listening to only BBC and CNN

Western mainstream media deceiving people since world War two.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 11:01am On Mar 20, 2018
kingkakaone:

OK o, let's wait and see if any NATO nation will join Britain when sanctions start flying around between both them and Russia.

Oga the US will never sanction Britain.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
kels4fun:

Oga the US will never sanction Britain.
Please go through my post to see if I said what u just typed now. Thanks
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 2:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
kingkakaone:

Please go through my post to see if I said what u just typed now.
Thanks

kingkakaone:

when sanctions start flying around between both them and Russia.

What do you mean by sanctions? Oga Russian can never sanction Britain unless you mean closing down their companies in Russia.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Nobody: 8:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
kels4fun:

What do you mean by sanctions? Oga Russian can never sanction Britain unless you mean closing down their companies in Russia.

What does closing companies mean Bros?
How did d US sanctioned Russia, was it not stopping business with them and stopping most of their business men from operating in US?
Try to understand me before u type bro, thanks.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by wirinet(m): 9:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
Lumig:
I so much love Russia with this feedback, UK thinks it can oppress Russia like they do other countries

I do not understand the black man (at least some), they seem to love those that hate, loath or oppress them and hate anyone that tries to come to their aid.

It is quite puzzling to hear a black African declaring love for Russia when Russians can't stand blacks, Putin does not even think blacks exists as he has not stepped foot in any black nation in his 18 years in power. I know the kinds of racism Nigerian students who go to Russia to study face. I had a neighbour who attempted to go to study in Russia, after paying school fees and offered admission, he was detained and assaulted by immigration officials at the airport and sent back.

Other self hating Nigerians would openly declare love for Trump, I find it so ridiculous. The worst is those that are ready to die for Jews. Jews hate blacks as much as Arabs.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by kels4fun(m): 10:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
kingkakaone:

What does closing companies mean Bros?
How did d US sanctioned Russia, was it not stopping business with them and stopping most of their business men from operating in US?
Try to understand me before u type bro, thanks.

Alright
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by Exciton(m): 12:31am On Mar 21, 2018
wirinet:

I do not understand the black man (at least some), they seem to love those that hate, loath or oppress them and hate anyone that tries to come to their aid.

It is quite puzzling to hear a black African declaring love for Russia when Russians can't stand blacks, Putin does not even think blacks exists as he has not stepped foot in any black nation in his 18 years in power. I know the kinds of racism Nigerian students who go to Russia to study face. I had a neighbour who attempted to go to study in Russia, after paying school fees and offered admission, he was detained and assaulted by immigration officials at the airport and sent back.

Other self hating Nigerians would openly declare love for Trump, I find it so ridiculous. The worst is those that are ready to die for Jews. Jews hate blacks as much as Arabs.

Haha. World politics is just like a movie to the average Nigerian. They support dangerous fvckers for the same reason people like bad guys in movies. The average Nigerian lives in a bubble and is totally convinced of his safety.

This false feeling of safety is what angers me the most. Nations are developing high tech to their advantage + weapons capable of destroying us 100 times over if the need arises. While we are comfy making fücking stupid music and dancing, fully ensconced in our ignorance. Zero care for our future and the survival of our kind.

International laws + lack of strong interest in our lands are basically the only things saving us from total annihilation at the moment. Yet, the average Nigerian isn't worried by this stark reality; fück no, he'll even go ahead and support Trump, Arabs, Russians, the Chinese etc who don't give a Bleep about human rights or laws protecting the sovereignty of smaller nations --- those who wouldn't hesitate to take whatever they want at the detriment of others once these laws weaken and fade.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by duni04(m): 2:11am On Mar 21, 2018
Exciton:

Haha. World politics is just like a movie to the average Nigerian. They support dangerous fvckers for the same reason people like bad guys in movies. The average Nigerian lives in a bubble and is totally convinced of his safety.

This false feeling of safety is what angers me the most. Nations are developing high tech to their advantage + weapons capable of destroying us 100 times over if the need arises. While we are comfy making fücking stupid music and dancing, fully ensconced in our ignorance. Zero care for our future and the survival of our kind.

International laws + lack of strong interest in our lands are basically the only things saving us from total annihilation at the moment. Yet, the average Nigerian isn't worried by this stark reality; fück no, he'll even go ahead and support Trump, Arabs, Russians, the Chinese etc who don't give a Bleep about human rights or laws protecting the sovereignty of smaller nations --- those who wouldn't hesitate to take whatever they want at the detriment of others once these laws weaken and fade.
This is a hilarious truth.
Re: Russia Expels 23 British Diplomats, Shuts Down Council, Consulate And Others by a11ever: 9:50am On May 03, 2018
Study in Ukraine
Tel: Whatsapp / Viber : +380-939323418
www.studyinukraine.eu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Who Mocked Michelle Obama's, Allegedly Suspended From His Job For 3 Weeks / Ukrainian Doctor Orders Staff To Castrate Russians As They're 'Cockroaches' / "South Africa Is For All"—Julius Malema Condemns Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.