Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Novelist Tm Aluko Passes On - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Novelist Tm Aluko Passes On (1269 Views)

Meet Flora Nwapa, Africa`s First Woman Novelist And First Novel Publisher / Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist / Who Is Your Best Novelist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Novelist Tm Aluko Passes On by shadrach77: 5:30pm On May 02, 2010
TM Aluko dies at 91
By AKEEM LASISI, Published: Sunday, 2 May 2010

View All (11) Comment(s)

TM Aluko

THE author of popular satirical novels like One Man One Machete and One Man One Wife died in the early hours of Saturday at the age of 91.

Although the Ilesa, Osun State-born Aluko studied Civil Engineering and Town Planning at the University of London, his books enjoy wide acclaim and are among the most widely studied in Nigerian schools.

In 1963, he bagged the Officer Order of the British Empire award and the Order of the Niger the following year.

The 50th anniversary of his writing was celebrated last year when he also surprised the literary community as he published another novel, Our Born Again President.

In a tribute, celebrated columnist, Dr. Reuben Abati, said, ”T. M. Aluko‘s novels present a certain thematic consistency in terms of the author‘s pre-occupation with issues of conflict between tradition and modernity, identity, religion and the individual in society, corruption and value systems.

”His societies are transitional societies but his bias is on the side of change and modernity, although ironically even when his females appear strong and influential, they are nevertheless victims of unreconstructed traditional chauvinism.”

Aluko studied at the Government College, Ibadan; Higher College, Yaba, in Lagos before his academic sojourn to London.

He held a number of administrative posts, including the Director of Public Works in Western Nigeria.

He left the civil service in 1966 and until his retirement in 1978, he pursued a career as an academic, earning a doctorate in municipal engineering in 1976.

His other works include Chief the Honourable Minister (1970) and His Worshipful Majesty (1973), My Years of Service and The Story of my Life.
Re: Novelist Tm Aluko Passes On by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:58am On Jan 21, 2011
Anybody read anything by him?
Re: Novelist Tm Aluko Passes On by Enoquin(f): 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2011
yes i have read chief, the honourable minister. Though it was quite long ago like say 10 or 13 years. Can't really remember.

(1) (Reply)

Culture Shock, My First Day In Russia! / 20 Ways To Know That Something Is Wrong With You / My Breasts - Stepping Into Adulthood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.