Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:54 PM

Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? (26597 Views)

Funny Superstitious Beliefs Of Nigerians About Animals / Tricks You Played On Your Parents And Got Away With As A Child. / Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Naijagal12(f): 10:53pm On May 02, 2010
It could be words of wisdom from your parent/s or something you learned through life experience and you wanna pass-on to your kids.  My Mother instilled in me the values of kindness, generosity and self-respect. She is a die hard Christian and I admire her tremendously for her spiritual strength and belief in God. She pointed out how easy it is to get caught up in looking for blessing and not God himself and how I shouldn't fold at first sign of tribulation but rather face/deal with my problems head-on because God doesn't give you more than you can bear. She also taught me the importance of putting myself in someone else's shoes,  treat other people the way that I wanna be treated and not to harshly judge people. . . I have to admit, it's hard sometimes  grin.

My Father is a man of few words but he once said that "Jealousy is a sickness of the soul because it eats your spirit up slowly to a point where you don't recognize who you are"--- this stuck with me. As a result, I don't waste my energy comparing myself to other people---whether it's financially, intellectually or physically. I've learned to channel my energy towards positive things and the gifts that God has blessed me with.  People don't realize that while they're too busy being jealous or hating other people for what they have, life is passing them by. If you let jealousy become the center of your life, it's almost impossible to achieve your goals because your dominant thoughts are about other people and you begin to think less of yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by adetoru(f): 11:35pm On May 02, 2010
My Dad:save save save!
My mum:plan plan plan!

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Naijagal12(f): 2:38am On May 03, 2010
^^^ Thank you for your input.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by iice(f): 12:06pm On May 05, 2010
Mum ~ Use your common sense! Thank goodness for that. Had to work on mine at a very very young age cheesy
Dada ~ People are not to be trusted grin Even family members can stab you in the back cheesy Rightty sirreee tongue
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Naijagal12(f): 7:27pm On May 05, 2010
iice:

Dada ~ People are not to be trusted grin Even family members can stab you in the back cheesy Rightty sirreee tongue

grin
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by edelweiss(f): 2:14am On Sep 25, 2012
My dad(may ur kind soul ripp)PATIENCE! He was as patient as Job, since I loved him very much I strive to be like him. my mum,made me to understand that my man shld be my King, she thought me the skill of doing my wish with my man's permission,that is the true power of a woman.And her watch word was don't loose what u cannot tie, now as an adult I can't help but bless them for those advise.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Callotti: 9:09am On Sep 25, 2012
*Never to sleep with a man for money. . . but to work hard enough to pay a man with my own money! Phock him. . .before he phocks you. . . . .AND BY GAWWWD. . .GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH!!! grin
And it came to pass! cool

*Never leave your husband for another man. . .just chop and clean both mouth and nyansh*. . . . cool
And it keeps coming and passing! grin

*Never let your h-enemies keep you down. . .always show them how successful/Beautiful/Fulfilled you are*. . . .
First they ignore you. . .then they riducule you. . then they fight you. . . then you win. . . AND THEY KEEP DYING!!!
And it came and went. . .from Ashawo O Ye My People. . .to Ajuwaya Patrolers!

Mu che che che che che che

*In the end. . .I instilled Morals And Values in them*. . . . kiss

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by MissyB3(f): 10:17am On Sep 25, 2012
Independence - You must handle your responsibilities yourself; if you constantly allow someone else do so for you, you give that person license to control you.

Trust (Esp. my mum) - If someone trusts you, never betray it because it will be hard to regain it, once lost.
*She speaks empirically and preaches this message with all seriousness, that I can't even ignore it even though I have a different opinion on the 'trust' thing*.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by tunapawizzy: 11:06am On Sep 25, 2012
Remember the son of whom u are.....Never look down on anyone
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Freiburger(m): 11:12am On Sep 25, 2012
The secret of being happy is making sure people around you are happy, i learnt this my irreplacable mum.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by TTOPSON(m): 11:13am On Sep 25, 2012
My dad always emphasize on honesty and dilligence while mum will say obedience to God, parent, elders is very important
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by slimyem: 11:19am On Sep 25, 2012
T.TOPSON:
My dad always emphasize on honesty and dilligence while mum will say obedience to God, parent, elders is very important
this is exactly what i was about to post except replacing obedience with respect.you sure you are not my brother?

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Freiburger(m): 11:21am On Sep 25, 2012
slimyem: this is exactly what i was about to post except replacing obedience with respect.you sure you are not my brother?
lol grin
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 25, 2012
Freiburger: The secret of being happy is making sure people around you are happy, i learnt this my irreplacable mum.
me too
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by honeric01(m): 11:30am On Sep 25, 2012
Do not allow others make your own mistakes, do not let others learn on your behalf.

If you do not know how to pound the mortal, you will one day pound the ground.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by hustla242: 11:31am On Sep 25, 2012
Upon all the moral values instilled in us, where are we as a nation? I'm sorry but truth be told, we're still one of the most morally decadent people in the world.

We preach a lot of morality, honesty, spirituality etc, but when it comes to putting it into practice we (and our parents) are no where to be found.

Just my own opinion

4 Likes

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 25, 2012
Any non-catholic will go to hell
Don't trust "ofe mmanu" (whatever that means)
Gays are sub-humans and abominations
Don't ever marry a white (as if. lol)
etc
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Sanguine77(m): 11:35am On Sep 25, 2012
Mom said "read your books, be the best in alll you do, do not use God's name in vain, have respect to God and man and you will have it back.
Dad said "I know you are good, continue in your goodness".
I am saying "in all your doings, remember the law of nemesis and keep all options open as well as do only the best and you'l get the best in return".
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Freiburger(m): 11:35am On Sep 25, 2012
hustla242: Upon all the moral values instilled in us, where are we as a nation. I'm sorry but truth be told, we're the biggest hypocrites in the world. We preach a lot of morality and spirituality, but when it comes to putting it into practice we (and our parents) are no where to be found.

Just my own opinion
On the contrary, i'm not a hypocrite as you 're claiming to be , well, i don't know about you.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by kenbee(f): 11:35am On Sep 25, 2012
from my DAD; strife hard to pay up ur bill. Neva owe / be in depted to anyone.

From my MUM: Always forgive & neva revenge.

From life: Neva lend money to ur relatives cause U may not be bold enough to recorver it. Change the things U can & accept the ones U can't change.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by globechamp: 11:41am On Sep 25, 2012
My father: Never miss 5:00am daily appointment with God everyday. When you appreciate God for giving you life, when you study His word and you cast all your cares upon Him, you will be one of the happiest men on earth, bringing happiness into the lives of other people.

My mum: Work hard and be a leader, be lazy and slothful and you will die a slave. Dont ever take excuses in life, take responsibility for your success and failure.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Jyde89: 11:46am On Sep 25, 2012
My dad alway's tell his children, "never let your present cercumstance determine your future; God told me you all will make my name known around the world".
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by LeCoq: 11:47am On Sep 25, 2012
dont marry more than one wife and seriously, he had three. undecided

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Freiburger(m): 11:50am On Sep 25, 2012
LeCoq: dont marry more than one wife and seriously, he had three. undecided
He is teaching you from his own experience.

1 Like

Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 25, 2012
my father taught me to be disciplined.In all i do,i must ensure that i am in control and not the situation.My mum instilled in me a prayerful life.she taught me that i can do nothing without the help of God...It is really working for me,by His grace
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by nwangeme: 12:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
i didn't grow up with my parents. Where does that leave me?
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Dad- Be self motivated, never allow any1 push u b4 u make a positive step/move. >3 Mum-i see greatness in u so work towards achieving it >3
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Pergrace: 12:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
slimyem: this is exactly what i was about to post except replacing obedience with respect.you sure you are not my brother?

You never can tell... grin grin
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nauttyprof(m): 12:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
My dad taught me Integrity with humility and also to be open to your partner.
My mom taught me never to down-grade myself and also not to compare myself with any other person in the race of life.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 25, 2012
My mum told me never to accept defeat in life,and believe that nothing is impossible.
Re: Values, Morals Or Beliefs Your Parents Instilled In You? by uncleb(m): 12:32pm On Sep 25, 2012
1. Don't lie- Omo ti o nparo , a jale ( a child that lies would steal)

2. Dont cheat and dont steal- Ohun ti a fi oju owo ko to ko kun, ti a ba fi ehin owo gbe ko le kun ( if you use your palm to cllect something and the bowl did not get full, how would it get full if you use the back of your hand). Omo ti o ba jale, won yoo fi eyin re ti agba ( any child who steals, they would tie him to drum and shot him to death, the pictures of some executed rubbers were always displayed in our house as a deterrent to covetousness and stealing)

3. Ise ni ogun ise. Work is the panacea for poverty., my dad always says work and pray.

4. Igberaga ni siwaju iparun, pride goes before a fall ( hmm, everybody older than us is either daddy or mummy or brother or sister)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Security Guard Electrocuted In Edo. / Biography Of Oyo 2019 PDP Guber Candidate,seyi Makinde|wife Tamunominni Makinde / Happy New Month to all Nairalanders.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.