Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

Atheists Let's Discuss God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Let's Discuss God. (9126 Views)

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / Atheists And Morality. A Question! / Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 3:55pm On Mar 19, 2018
Oya let the atheists come and let's discuss God. Kindly note that when I say God I am not segregating or separating by using names such as ALLAH, YAHWEH, CHUKWU, OLODUMARE, etc.

So do not focus on any of the above. I simply wish for us to discuss God devoid of names.

Also do note that before you comment you need to let us know if God exists or not.

Remember we are not talking about Yahweh or Allah or any other names given to God but SIMPLY GOD!

also do not ask me to define God for you because we all know the definition for God as the dictionary is available to all.

Let's begin

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Mar 19, 2018
Talking about God without specifying the God you’re talking about is not really meaningful.

“Let’s talk about the Country. Remember we are not talking about Nigeria, Israel or Saudi Arabia. Just the Country.”

Not really meaningful.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 6:08pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:
“Let’s discuss the country. Remember we are not talking about Nigeria, Israel or Saudi Arabia. Just the country.”

What is your concept of God? Assuming you wish to discuss one. I am leaving you to be broad with your approach and not the usual narrow minded one sided approach a lot of you take. If you wish to discuss God, why not go all out and take them all on regardless of the names they bear and this is why I have chosen not to mention any names.

If you disprove Yahweh, does that mean you disprove Allah or Mazda or olodumare or chukwu or any other?

The problem a lot of you atheists have is your narrow minded approach to the God discussion.

Care to broaden it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2018
In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe, while in deism, God is the creator, but not the sustainer, of the universe. In pantheism, God is the universe itself. In atheism, God is not believed to exist, while God is deemed unknown or unknowable within the context of agnosticism.

As you can see, there is a problem up there which somehow atheists are blind to because by definition atheism says GOD does not exist but we rather see atheists focussing on Yahweh or Allah and not the broad GOD position.

So let me ask you Seun, does God exist?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 19, 2018
I don't believe in "God"
having said that butterflylion can you show me why I should believe in "God"

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 6:38pm On Mar 19, 2018
darkchild64:
I don't believe in "God"

having said that butterflylion can you show me why I should believe in "God"

I am not here to convince you to "believe" in God. What I asked you to state is if God exists or not and not if you "believe" in God.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by dalaman: 7:02pm On Mar 19, 2018
What is God, because God means different things to different people. God to the pantheist is very different to what God is to the Muslim. God to the Christian is totally different to what the Taoist believes as God or what a scientologist believes as God. You can NOT just talk about God without specifically telling us which God because God has NO universal acceptance or definition.

Again what is God?

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
dalaman:
What is God, because God means different things to different people. God to the pantheist is very different to what God is to the Muslim. God to the Christian is totally different to what the Taoist believes as God or what a scientologist believes as God. You can NOT just talk about God without specifically telling us which God because God has NO universal acceptance or definition.

Again what is God?

I already said the above so nothing new here. Why not first say if God exists or not. Please stick to the OP. No tags, no names, nothing. Just simply God.

*read my response to seun*.

You can also formulate your own definition of God if you wish.

What I am talking about is GOD in its broadest form and not the usual selective God arguments

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by dalaman: 7:07pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:
Talking about God without specifying the God you’re talking about is not really meaningful.

“Let’s talk about the Country. Remember we are not talking about Nigeria, Israel or Saudi Arabia. Just the Country.”

Not really meaningful.

Bravo. His OP is totally meaningless. How can you talk about God without specifying which God when God means different things to different people.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:09pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:

Not really meaningful.

You are making my point for me seun. Talking about Nigeria or Israel or Saudi Arabia and disproving them does not mean that COUNTRIES do not exist in its broadest form. You simply just narrowed them down.

Got it now?

Let's talk God in its broadest form. It's better you disprove ALL COUNTRIES if they all follow a pattern than to disprove 2 or 5 when there are 195 countries in the world

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
dalaman:

Bravo. His OP is totally meaningless. How can you talk about God without specifying which God when God means different things to different people.

grin cheesy

You are stuck aren't you?

You definitely cannot talk about God in its broadest form but can only play ring around the roses with one or two which does not quite grasp what atheism is all about. Atheism says GOD does not exist and not YAHWEH or ALLAH does not exist.

Good thing you said God means different things to different people so if it does, can disproving one disprove all?

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
Vaxx I know you are not an atheist but I need you to come and review this thread and probably make your own input.

Perhaps you can make some sense in all I have said since the atheists here are stuck because I did not give them their "selective" God for them to chew on.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by dalaman: 7:23pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

I already said the above so nothing new here. Why not first say if God exists or not. Please stick to the OP. No tags, no names, nothing. Just simply God.

*read my response to seun*.

You can also formulate your own definition of God if you wish.

What I am talking about is GOD in its broadest form and not the usual selective God arguments

There is nothing like "Simply God".

There is no broad form of God. It does not exist anywhere. There is no universally accepted definition of God. God means different things to different people. So what exactly are you saying?

Yahweh as God is NOT the same as God Zeus or Brahma. They differ in their attributes, nature, abilities and how they operate. Saying God is meaningless since it has no universally accepted definition.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by vaxx: 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:
Vaxx I know you are not an atheist but I need you to come and review this thread and probably make your own input.

Perhaps you can make some sense in all I have said since the atheists here are stuck because I did not give them their "selective" God for them to chew on.
ok bro . let me go over the thread.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:27pm On Mar 19, 2018
dalaman:

There is nothing like "Simply God".

There is no broad form of God. It does not exist anywhere. There is no universally accepted definition of God. God means different things to different people. So what exactly are you saying?

Yahweh as God is NOT the same as God Zeus or Brahma. They differ in their attributes, nature, abilities and how they operate. Saying God is meaningless since it has no universally accepted definition.

The underlying theme FOR ALL IS GOD so kindly do away with definitions and classifications.

You wish to be handed an easy passage but not on this thread.

My focus is GOD in its broadest form.

Atheism declares God or gods do not exist and not Yahweh or Allah do not exist so I wish to work with the broadest form of God and not the selective God you are used to

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by dalaman: 7:33pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

grin cheesy

You are stuck aren't you?

You definitely cannot talk about God in its broadest form but can only play ring around the roses with one or two which does not quite grasp what atheism is all about. Atheism says GOD does not exist and not YAHWEH or ALLAH does not exist.

Good thing you said God means different things to different people so if it does, can disproving one disprove all?

cheesy

What is God in its broadest form?

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:37pm On Mar 19, 2018
dalaman:

What is God in its broadest form?

Read your own comments you have said it. "God means different things to different people" and you gave some examples so let's not specify but generalise since God is GENERALLY seen as different things to different people (as you said) cheesy

And atheism per definition is about GOD and gods and not Yahweh or Allah or Zeus etc.

Can we proceed now?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by vaxx: 7:39pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:

Not really meaningful.
you should have note he is talking about monotheistic GOD. what if i paraphrase your statement like this. lets talk about Asia we are not talking about the other continent like Europe , Africa or Australia. just the Asia continent .

At times we should learn to be open minded.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

I am not here to convince you to "believe" in God. What I asked you to state is if God exists or not and not if you "believe" in God.

fine I like sticking to the op so I would answer your question directly

To the best of my knowledge what a lot of people refer to as "God" is an imaginary being hence he doesn't exist
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:42pm On Mar 19, 2018
vaxx:
you should have note he is talking about monotheistic GOD. what if i paraphrase your statement like this. lets talk about Asia we are not talking about the other continent like Europe , Africa or Australia. just the Asia continent .

I am ever so glad you got it smiley

Can atheists argue against a monotheistic God? Let's see.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
darkchild64:

fine I like sticking to the op so I would answer your question directly

To the best of my knowledge what a lot of people refer to as "God" is an imaginary being hence he doesn't exist

Can you itemise this your words in bold and how can we know what "the best of your knowledge" is?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:58pm On Mar 19, 2018
Emmanystone, muttleylaff I need you here. I think my thread has got our brothers stuck for lack of a specific "buffet" to feast on.

I can hear crickets chirping. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:00pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:

Not really meaningful.
Well, unless he means, 'gods'.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:02pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

My focus is GOD in its broadest form.

Atheism declares God or gods do not exist and not Yahweh or Allah do not exist so I wish to work with the broadest form of God and not the selective God you are used to
So, you do mean 'gods', right?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
budaatum:

So, you do mean 'gods', right?

I have no idea which is which on this thread. smiley

I am simply being monotheistic. wink

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:05pm On Mar 19, 2018
vaxx:

So, a specific "God", right, and not "gods", in general.

In effect, when he says, "Country" he means a specific country, but is just not specifying which one?

How very dishonest of him to load his question in such a way!

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

Can atheists argue against a monotheistic God? Let's see.
No, I cannot, since there is not one specific god, but many, and once I make that claim, further discussion is rather pointless as would be stuck on the fundamental assertions of how many gods there are.

I can discuss with someone who believes in a single god however, since that person would bring forth attributes of their god which would form the basis of the discussion.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:16pm On Mar 19, 2018
budaatum:

So, a specific "God", right, and not "gods", in general.

In effect, when he says, "Country" he means a specific country, but is just not specifying which one?

How very dishonest of him to load his question in such a way!

monotheism
noun
the doctrine or belief that there is only one God.

When atheists are told God exists they always ask "which of the 4999 Gods " ? wink

So let's do away with the selectiveness and just gather all of them together and thrash them all out once and for all. After all the definition of atheism isn't selective. It does not say " Atheism is the lack of belief in the existence of Yahweh and not Brahman" or Atheism is the rejection of Allah or Olodumare and not Chukwu and Mazda".

The definition of atheism says that it is the rejection of GOD or gods or a lack of belief in GOD or gods.

I hope you get it now.

No selectiveness! Let's do it the honest way and not the dishonest way a lot of you here follow.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:
Oya let the atheists come and let's discuss God. Kindly note that when I say God I am not segregating or separating by using names such as ALLAH, YAHWEH, CHUKWU, OLODUMARE, etc.

So do not focus on any of the above. I simply wish for us to discuss God devoid of names.

Also do note that before you comment you need to let us know if God exists or not.

Remember we are not talking about Yahweh or Allah or any other names given to God but SIMPLY GOD!

also do not ask me to define God for you because we all know the definition for God as the dictionary is available to all.

Let's begin
So, on the basis of the clarification that preceeds this - that "gods" in general, and not one god specifically - and the fact that all "gods" are human creations that exist in human minds, begin! Let us discuss.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:21pm On Mar 19, 2018
budaatum:

So, on the basis of the clarification that preceeds this - that "gods" in general, and not one god specifically - and the fact that all "gods" are human creations that exist in human minds, begin! Let us discuss.

At the words in bold, I did not make that assertion, YOU DID. So remember our mantra "he who makes the claim must drop his shame and show proof". So fire away with how you arrived at this "fact" that all 4999 gods are human creations that exist in human minds.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
butterflylion:

The definition of atheism says that it is the rejection of GOD or gods or a lack of belief in GOD or gods.
If you wish to discuss with me, you will please stop imposing your definitions on me. I do not lack belief in gods. I claim gods do not exist. Do note that they may not exist and one can believe in them anyway.

Gods only exist in the minds of those who create them. They don't exist outside the minds of their creators. That is my opinion and the reason I am seen as an atheist.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
budaatum:

No, I cannot, since there is not one specific god, but many, and once I make that claim, further discussion is rather pointless as would be stuck on the fundamental assertions of how many gods there are.

I can discuss with someone who believes in a single god however, since that person would bring forth attributes of their god which would form the basis of the discussion.

You have 4999 steps to climb grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Life And Times Of Samuel Oshoffa, Founder Of Celestial Church Of Christ / The Bent Cross and the inverted cross / Facts in Koran Muslim, Jesus Is Your God, And He Is Your Only Way To Escape Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.