Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Atheists Let's Discuss God. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Let's Discuss God. (9081 Views)

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / Atheists And Morality. A Question! / Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
OkCornel:

Just like how terrorists also think they are "pleasing God" by waging a Jihad and killing people everywhere...

And also just as how atheists are killing people for the sake of propagating their beliefs.

In summary...

1) An idiot remains an idiot whether or he chooses to believe in a god or not...
2) Any excuse will serve a tyrant...even God (or lack of belief in God) can be used as an excuse...

Yes indeed. People create figments of the imaginations to justify their acts.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I simply posted a portion of the 4999/ 5000 gods they always throw around.
Then you asked them to be treated one by one, which flies in the face of the proposal in the op.

But you wouldn't see that since it does not suit your agenda!

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

Then you asked them to be treated one by one, which flies in the face of the proposal in the op.

But you wouldn't see that since it does not suit your agenda!

I didn't ask that they be treated one by one. I said you should show me an abridged version of how you went through all of them to arrive at the no god position.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Wrong!

Remember I also said this to earlier too

This contradicts atheism as depicted by you above.

How then can we both be atheists? .
Of course it's wrong, and contradicts what I said earliar. It's a sarcastic statement made to make a point. It is however similar to you claiming atheists are only atheistic towards Yahweh and Allah but accept the existence of other gods!

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

"Outside existence"!¿ What non-meaning expression is that?

You continuously miss the point in thread after thread in which this same issue is discussed. I even placed a pointer to this fact in one of my posts, but as usual, it flies right over your head. So this time, please pay attention!

As far as I am concerned, all gods are figments of the imagination, made up in the heads of those who create them.

Now, for the trick part, what is god(s)? Any idea associated with the creation of how the universe came into being, including that which claims "all gods (and bangs regardless of their size) are figments of the imagination made up in the head of those who create them". No one knows, but some gods, ideas figments of the imaginations are more plausible than others, unfortunately, however, figments they still are made up in the head.

For emphasis, all gods (in all forms) are figments of the imagination made up in the head of those who create them. No figment is really more valid than any others. You have yours, and I have mine. They oppose one another's, but hey, tough! Unless we want to start blowing each other up, after all, after I kill you, your figment no longer exists, and my figment becomes the monofigment I Am that I Am!

I know you don't get it yet, so listen carefully, and think about it. Even the idea of gods that buda has is created in the head of buda, a figment of buda's imagination created there by buda (even if buda claims it is based on a study of the evidence! After all, so too is yours, or isn't the figment of your imagination based on your study of the evidence?)! They are ideas and concepts that have no actual existence outside one's head (even though we like to believe they have, and tend to base our entire existence on this sole fact).

This is the reason why gods are subject to 'belief'. There is no thing that one knows actual exists that one would use such language to describe. You would either know, or not know! So, asking someone to provide evidence for beliefs they have made up in their head is rather silly.

However, when someone claims, "Look there is the figment of my imagination that I believe exists", one should expect one to be pirate flagged, and asked, "where?" (or what, or how, depending on the evidence), if one looks where is pointed to and sees absolutely nothing.

What you do however, is then ask those who look where you point to, to prove that what you point to is not there! And now you want to point in 4999 directions, say "see, gods", and then have it argued with you that the invisible things you are pointing to are not there! Talk about seeking relevance 'outside existence', a pointless venture if nothing else.

Trust me, if you didn't fit between a chess game, and therefore serve to help keep my wits about me, I'd be busy elsewhere!

This thread has long flown over your bird coop. So you have always missed my point despite the pointers I have always given.

Nice try but you said nothing.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by superhumanist(m): 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

what butterflylion wants is for you to share why you think the 4999 gods are inexistent.

why do atheist reject all theistic gods good/evil?

the question is not specific to Yahweh, it includes; Odin, Zeus, Amenhotep...
why is there no possibility that one of the 4999 being real?

The 5000 different gods do not exist for the same reason that the 10,000 magical fairytale creatures do not exist:

1. No hard or direct evidence.

2. Have no physical or tangible attributes

3. Generally believed in by people of lower intelligence

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

Of course it's wrong, and contradicts what I said earliar. It's a sarcastic statement made to make a point. It is however similar to you claiming atheists are only atheistic towards Yahweh and Allah but accept the existence of other gods!

I did not say they accept I said THEY LEAVE OUT.

why do you keep making claims I never did?

To what end? undecided
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
superhumanist:

The 5000 different gods do not exist for the same reason that the 10,000 magical fairytale creatures do not exist:

1. No hard or direct evidence.

2. Have no physical or tangible attributes

3. Generally believed in by people of lower intelligence

This is an assumption and a sweeping comment.

Budaatum do not tell me tomorrow that an atheist did not SPECIFICALLY mention 10000 magical fairytale creatures.

How did you SPECIFICALLY go through the 5000 or is your atheism based on a generalisation and not empirically derived?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I didn't ask that they be treated one by one. I said you should show me an abridged version of how you went through all of them to arrive at the no god position.
How I went through them one by one, right? And thereby taking me away from talking about a monotheistic God, as initially requested? But then not just grouping them all together as they are all subject to my "figment of the imagination" statement?

Well, I guess I can post "gods are figments of the imagination" 4999 times with the specific god's name inserted, but I actually think there's at least a billion versions of gods. And you are wasting my time!

Funny though!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Budaatum do not tell me tomorrow that an atheist did not SPECIFICALLY mention 10000 magical fairytale creatures.

How did you SPECIFICALLY go through the 5000 or is your atheism based on a generalisation and not empirically derived?
I just said there is a billion, so there!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by superhumanist(m): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Assumption?

You smoke Igbo abi?

Have you seen any direct evidence for the unicorn God? Or even any God or magical creature?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

How I went through them one by one, right? And thereby taking me away from talking about a monotheistic God, as initially requested? But then not just grouping them all together as they are all subject to my "figment of the imagination" statement?

Well, I guess I can post "gods are figments of the imagination" 4999 times with the specific god's name inserted, but I actually think there's at least a billion versions of gods. And you are wasting my time!

Funny though!

You are actually keeping me busy here as you are running rings around yourself.

What do you understand by the word ABRIDGED?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

And stop lying. He did not "SPECIFICALLY mention 10000 magical" anythings!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
superhumanist:

Assumption?

You smoke Igbo abi?

Have you seen any direct evidence for the unicorn God? Or even any God or magical creature?

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence is it?

You could be arguing from ignorance. If you were in every grain if sand or every drop of water or every leaf of every tree or every ice crystal etc then you can be sure about your knowledge since you would be everywhere, in the past, future, present etc to know that what isn't there today was not there yesterday.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 7:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I simply posted a portion of the 4999/ 5000 gods they always throw around. So everyone can see how lengthy the list is and also wonder how they exhausted this list to arrive at the no god position.

Atheists thrive on proof so what proof do they have to show regarding these gods which made them nonexistent?

Regarding arguing outside my normal position shows my open mindedness unlike the close minded nature of atheists.

but I was dishonest when I tried to do the same.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

And stop lying. He did not "SPECIFICALLY mention 10000 magical" anythings!

I know you saw the word THE before 10,000 . If that isn't specific then call me a reindeer. cheesy
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

Because it is my thread and I already gave rules.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

You are actually keeping me busy here as you are running rings around yourself.

What do you understand by the word ABRIDGED?
Abridged Version

"All gods are figments of the imagination!"
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I know you saw the word THE before 10,000 . If that isn't specific then call me a reindeer. cheesy
Reindeer!

He did not list 10000 anything!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:58pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

Reindeer!

He did not list 10000 anything!

I didn't say he listed. You keep claiming what is never said. WHY?

he said THE 10,000 which means they are EXACTLY 10,000. If that isn't specific then you need to check your grammar.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 7:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

Now you are beginning to understand the op. The rules you must obey do not need to be obeyed by him!

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 7:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

Abridged Version

"All gods are figments of the imagination!"

Too abridged and your opinion based on a generalisation. cheesy
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:02pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

Now you are beginning to understand the op. The rules you must obey do not need to be obeyed by him!

Yes because I made the rules for others to follow for the sake of the thread. My rules are not for me but for others.

If you do not like it then throw me an e-slap.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:02pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

I didn't say he listed. You keep claiming what is never said. WHY?

he said THE 10,000 which means they are EXACTLY 10,000. If that isn't specific then you need to check your grammar.
I said one billion. I guess you would henceforth claim buda believes there are a billion gods.

I don't like when you switch off your brain!

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
I e-slap you!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by budaatum: 8:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Lol!
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 8:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence is it?

You could be arguing from ignorance. If you were in every grain if sand or every drop of water or every leaf of every tree or every ice crystal etc then you can be sure about your knowledge since you would be everywhere, in the past, future, present etc to know that what isn't there today was not there yesterday.

'absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence' only works for pantheist/deist god.

the theist god wants to have a relationship with us and according to their stories, they reveal themselves to man. evidence of the god should easily be available.

unless he is hiding but wants us to believe he exists.

1 Like

Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
budaatum:

I said one billion. I guess you would henceforth claim buda believes there are a billion gods.

I don't like when you switch off your brain!

I know when to detect sarcasm so give me some credit wink

Like a certain Billy guy would always say on nairaland, my brain is operating on a higher frequency of 5D grin
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by butterflylion: 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Gggg102:

'absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence' only works for pantheist/deist god.

the theist god wants to have a relationship with us and according to their stories, they reveal themselves to man. evidence of the god should easily be available.

unless he is hiding but wants us to believe he exists.

You have switched off again. It works for EVERYTHING.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 8:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

when the believers share their experiences we are to take their words for it according to you but when budaatum shares his', it is just his opinion.
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by vaxx: 8:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
[quote author=butterflylion post=66008891]

Billy guy
lol that guy matter no be here o, i do not even know how people comprehend
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss God. by Gggg102(m): 8:10pm On Mar 20, 2018
butterflylion:

You have switched off again. It works for EVERYTHING.

wow! no evidence for a god that wants us to know him and often reveals himself to us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastor Beats Wife To Coma / Please Give Me One Good Reason Why I Should Go Back To God / As Christians, How Should We Relate With Unbelievers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.