Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? (8032 Views)

Career Trajectory for Software Engineers / Thread For Mechanical Engineers... / New Jobs At Vanhack For Experienced Software Engineers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by yorex2011: 6:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
Are they here? Will like to have a few female coder/programmer friends cheesy

Heard they are Women of Class (pun intended)

Anyways, won't mind interfacing with a few (another pun intended)

Comments are welcome

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Angelb4: 7:07am On Mar 20, 2018

8 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Pavore9: 7:08am On Mar 20, 2018
They are few. From the family setting, how many of our sisters and daughters are being nudged towards that direction?

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Joshuabak: 7:08am On Mar 20, 2018
What a wack way to start a FP thread. You can do better!

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 20, 2018
Are you looking for female engineers or you are just looking for new ways to say pun intended undecided

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by izzou(m): 7:09am On Mar 20, 2018
grin

They are learning how to slay

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 20, 2018
Nigeria Female feminist will disappear from here now grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 20, 2018
Dhsjsh
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by DoTheNeedful: 7:11am On Mar 20, 2018
yorex2011:
Are they here? Will like to have a few female coder/programmer friends cheesy

Heard they are Women of Class (pun intended)

Anyways, won't mind interfacing with a few (another pun intended)

Comments are welcome

System.out.println("Slaying on instagram" ) grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by royalamour(m): 7:11am On Mar 20, 2018
I know one and she is a badass
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Fuadeiza(m): 7:12am On Mar 20, 2018
No, Thank you.
They are busy coding....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by raymod170(m): 7:15am On Mar 20, 2018
This isn't a generalization and perspective may differ. Ada Lovelace, world's first ever computer programmer was a woman. I believe women are capable of doing any job just as good as men and I'm a programmer myself and I love programming!
1)Many women feel they can't program when they actually can.
2)Women are holistic in approach to their life, they will not focus on just one thing. They prefer multi-tasking, whereas programming is a single threaded activity which requires motivation.
3)Women prefer being creative and social. They prefer jobs that have more communication with others and they feel programming is monotonous and isolating.
4)Some women(even some men) get a degree in computer science just for the sake of it and do not actually contribute anything to programming world. It's all about necessity and interest.
5)The lifestyle of a programmer, sit in front of a computer,stare and think is not appealing to a lot of women(Many of my female friends stated this).
6)Programming has become more of a profession than passion and here comes the cultural aspect, women are not encouraged to take up careers seriously.

19 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by kam1992: 7:15am On Mar 20, 2018
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by wunmi590(m): 7:16am On Mar 20, 2018
Honestly i have been asking myself his question too,
I work in an international I.T company, as an admin officer, and truth be told, no female in our software department to complement these gurus, i think women should also be found in these profession in Nigeria.

If i can get some of the females, i would make sure i recommend them to my director, when he comes back from his travelling from our office in US and U.K
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Mandrake007(m): 7:17am On Mar 20, 2018
if you said kitchen and the other room engineers I'd understand,do female software engineers exist??

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by OwnNAIJA: 7:17am On Mar 20, 2018
Female software engineers, thumbs up.
Best multitaskers

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Sleekydee(m): 7:18am On Mar 20, 2018
They are on Instagram and SnapChat hooking up...let me comman be going.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nwaohafia1: 7:19am On Mar 20, 2018
I have a friend who's a software engineer. But why look for a female?

2 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by hakeem4(m): 7:19am On Mar 20, 2018
I need the help of a software developer to help me convert a program written in fotran to a modern day software
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by CastedAyo: 7:20am On Mar 20, 2018
They are busy slaying on Facebook and Instagram

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by raymod170(m): 7:20am On Mar 20, 2018
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by yorex2011: 7:20am On Mar 20, 2018
Coldplayy:
Are you looking for female engineers or you are just looking for new ways to say pun intended undecided

Lol. Zero chillz.

This wasn't meant to be an FP thread. Just wanted to meet a few
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by yorex2011: 7:23am On Mar 20, 2018
Nwaohafia1:
I have a friend who's a software engineer. But why look for a female?

Not like I'm "looking" per say. I just haven't seen them much. They are on LinkedIn but i haven't met any real life. I'm suspecting that they'd be on average slightly better that the male software folks

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 20, 2018
yorex2011:

Lol. Zero chillz.

This wasn't meant to be an FP thread. Just wanted to meet a few
don't mind me o, was only trying to be sarcastic (pun intended ) wink
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by promisedeco(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
Joshuabak:
What a wack way to start a FP thread. You can do better!

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by iAlex(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
Learn to code. Free Laptops, Licensed Softwares and Data. Yes! its sounds too good to be true. Hurry now before 2018 applications closes. Apply here https://apply.favcode54.org

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Fulaman198(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2018
There are a few of them. The ones I have met are quite bright as well.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nwaohafia1: 7:27am On Mar 20, 2018
yorex2011:

Not like I'm "looking" per say. I just haven't seen them much. They are on LinkedIn but i haven't met any real life. I'm suspecting that they'd be on average slightly better that the male software folks

The truth is some of them i have met are (sounds like) better than their male counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Graciouscharis: 7:30am On Mar 20, 2018
My younger sister is a software engineer and she’s doing pretty well.

3 Likes

Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 20, 2018
wunmi590:
Honestly i have been asking myself his question too,
I work in an international I.T company, as an admin officer, and truth be told, no female in our software department to complement these gurus, i think women should also be found in these profession in Nigeria.

If i can get some of the females, i would make sure i recommend them to my director, when he comes back from his travelling from our office in US and U.K

I have a younger sister that is currently training to be a Software engineer. Can she come by your office probably intern a bit so she can see the prospects of this and stay motivated
Re: Where Are Our Female Software Engineers? by flyca: 7:33am On Mar 20, 2018

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Advise Someone Who Hates His Job? / Nigeria Police Promote 243 Senior Officers / 8 Months After My Resignation, My Former Employer Is Still Owing Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.