Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea (53446 Views)

Asian Crew Killed 2 Stowaway Nigerians On Japanese Ship, Threw Some Into Sea / The Moment Air Niugini Plane Crashed Into Sea In Micronesia, Papua New Guinea / Plane Carrying 188 Crashes Into Sea After Takeoff In Indonesia, No Survivor(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
nezer83:

My friend ship and vessel is used interchangeably. In Maritime trade the term SHIP is used more often.
he no know grin
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
That pilot will be kissing his license goodbye for a long time
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by koolcat: 8:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
nezer83:

My friend ship and vessel is used interchangeably. In Maritime trade the term SHIP is used more often.
well I've made my point
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
koolcat:
In shipping line its called vessel..Hence my statement "in this context"
ship or vessel both are correct.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by koolcat: 8:10pm On Mar 20, 2018
EMEKA1MILLION:
ship or vessel both are correct.
k
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
koolcat:
k
seriously dude? *k*?
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
And to educate the Op, this is called *contact damage* not collision. It's only regarded as collision if both vessels are under power or unmoored, eg, using engines. It the video above, one vessel is moored while the other is under power, the collision regulation does not cover this such cases. So as it stands the vessel under power will bare all consequences to all damages.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by koolcat: 8:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
EMEKA1MILLION:
seriously dude? *k*?
k emekabillion hope that is OK?? hahaha
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 8:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

This is so wrong from the pilot of the approaching vessel.
A vessel the size of TOLTEN is not supposed to approached the quay side under its own power! It ought to be on dead slow, while the tugs do the shouldering, pulling and pushing.
There is a reason terminal tugs are being built, just like the ASD DAURA, ASD UROMI, ASD UBIMA and ASD MAJIA recently purchased for the Nigerian premier port, Apapa.

The VDR of the TOLTEN should be replayed to know what exactly transpired at the bridge between the vessel master and the pilot. This will be the start of query from the insurance company. One thing is certain, the owners of the TOLTEN must have been sued by now. As for the sinking containers, this would be cleared by P&I wreck removal cover except the ship has no civil liability certificate for wreck removal pursuant to article 12 of the NAIROBI convection, 2007.

By and large both ships must attend dry dock session, as the classification society needs to suspends the class certificate due to hull damages.

A bad day for a seafarer on board these ships angry

Dont be surprised to see those damged empty containers lying fallow at freedom bus-stop by OTTO WOFF next 6 months grin
One of the reasons I just had to follow you; very smart analysis grin
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
koolcat:
k
emekabillion
hope that is OK?? hahaha
smh! It is not okay tongue

1 Like

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

A vessel the size of TOLTEN is not supposed to approached the quay side under its own power! It ought to be on dead slow, while the tugs do the shouldering, pulling and pushing.
There is a reason terminal tugs are being built, just like the ASD DAURA, ASD UROMI, ASD UBIMA and ASD MAJIA recently purchased for the Nigerian premier port, Apapa.

The VDR of the TOLTEN should be replayed to know what exactly transpired at the bridge between the vessel master and the pilot. This will be the start of query from the insurance company. One thing is certain, the owners of the TOLTEN must have been sued by now. As for the sinking containers, this would be cleared by P&I wreck removal cover except the ship has no civil liability certificate for wreck removal pursuant to article 12 of the NAIROBI convection, 2007.

By and large both ships must attend dry dock session, as the classification society needs to suspends the class certificate due to hull damages.

Dont be surprised to see those damged empty containers lying fallow at freedom bus-stop by OTTO WOFF next 6 months grin
brilliant analysis I must say. Much of the error should be from the master and pilot, probably an investigation into the passage planning, tugs could also be at fault if tow lines where disengaged without command. A close look at the videos with the write up above stating the vessel was sailing, I could presume that the vessel decided to sail without tugs because normal sailing maneuvering requires the tugs to pull the vessels to midstream before she uses her engines. Sailing without tugs is risky because the bow thrusters if fitted could only pull away the forward side from the quays and hard to port wheel will do little if the current is setting against the vessel and considering the effect of wind it will be hard for the stern part to pull off from the quays on time.

Thirdly, it could be steering gear jam but however, safe practice cannot be over emphasized.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Ishilove: 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hian. Gbese
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Ishilove: 8:40pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

Ahn ahn, sister you sabi book o cheesy

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by divineappo(m): 8:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

Impressive

Do you work @ Nigerian Port?
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by oluwasegun007(m): 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
I hope my order no dey inside those containers....
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

I'm amazed at your intellectual prowess, I've sent you a Pm already, but you could chat me up on WhatsApp on 08183424957
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by joinnow: 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
midashenry:
That's a huge loss

That could be someone's life investment oo
But that is why we got insurance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by koolcat: 8:58pm On Mar 20, 2018
EMEKA1MILLION:
smh! It is not okay tongue
tnx boss
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Orpe7(m): 9:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
Marine insurance go cover am unless dem no do am
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Nobody: 9:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
Ishilove:

Ahn ahn, sister you sabi book o cheesy

angry

☣ ☠

Dem call person deepwater what else do you expect?

☣ ☠
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by fajob: 9:54pm On Mar 20, 2018
so serious

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by katchycouture(f): 10:21pm On Mar 20, 2018
I didn't really understand all what was said but is the ship coming from Germany? ?
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by maasoap(m): 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
christejames:
Huge loss to the entrepreneur or importer, hard luck to them.

I bet if it's in my country, it's business as usual.
Marine insurance would have already covered the loss.

1 Like

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Magnumproperty: 11:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

Bravo. Accurate analysis
I guess u are a sailor or marine engineer

Contact us for affordable apartment or office space in any part of Lagos state
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by jossy26: 4:14am On Mar 21, 2018
deepwater:
Kai

Madam you are real deepwater. well articulated post you sure know a lot about marine operations
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by mechanics(m): 4:41am On Mar 21, 2018
A very costly error.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by VBarraK(m): 6:55am On Mar 21, 2018
Pls nairalanders help a brother, i'm victor from imo state and 18yrs..i'm going to write my snr waec this year and is starting on april, all the money i saved i used it in registering for waec and neco nw my problem is money for signing paper(runs fee)which is #11,000 and my last card is #3,000..pls my friends someone should help me out pls..Thanks for ur understanding, God bless you
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by ariesbull: 6:57am On Mar 21, 2018
christejames:
Huge loss to the entrepreneur or importer, hard luck to them.

I bet if it's in my country, it's business as usual.

Insurance covered it under marine insurance and GIT insurance

1 Like

Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by 2day6(m): 8:02am On Mar 21, 2018
somewhere somebody go Don poor now. Eya sorry.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Ijeluv82(f): 8:23am On Mar 21, 2018
God have mercy, what a great loss my sympathy to d owners of d containers.
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by daboski22(m): 9:18am On Mar 21, 2018
Okoyeebos:

We all know that Buhari is leaving presidency very soon, that's sure.

However, no one is sure if you can ever have sense in your life.

Someone cannot even joke with nairaland people again cheesy

Ayele o Ibosi O
Re: 2 Huge Ships Collide In Karachi Port Pakistan, Sending 21 Containers Into Sea by Assassin101: 10:42am On Mar 22, 2018
there goes uncle chinedu's containers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young Female BRT Driver In Lagos, Her Smile Is Charming (photos) / Nigeria E-passport New Prices Start Today. / Eileen Uwajumogu Escapes Air Peace Tragedy From Lagos To Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.