Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,551 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection (3715 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Idriss Deby, Chad’s President, Unhappy With Nigeria’s Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by morpheus24: 2:08pm On May 03, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGTP55BMYo

There is controversy surronding the official World cup anthem featuring  a collaboration by SHAKIRA and a south african group "Freshly ground".
Most South Africans are unhapy the song is being sang by a Foreigner instead of a local South African artist and are unhappy.

The song is actually a sampling of an old camerounian song Zangalewa.

Personally I prefer K'naan version. See both songs below and judge which one giver you boose bumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ztr96RbMW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7O9RhNa18
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by JeSoul(f): 4:10pm On May 03, 2010
Na wa oh  . . . everyday some controversy about the world cup lol.

Anyways, both sides have good points . . .
-a SAcan should be singing it - first worldcup in africa = monumnetal moment for the continent etc
-it's okay to have a foreigner collaborating, it shows its a global event

Personally, I think FIFA shoulda asked a SAcan to do it, just to avoid drama and to allow Southafricans to showcase their talent. Shakira doesn't need the publicity, it would've been better served giving it to a local artist.

And going by the two videos you posted Morpheus, Shakira's song is very nice and well done (including the accent and pronounciation of the local tongue), however, Knaan's/Bisbal's song is simply riveting, fantastic! definitely more deserving to be the official anthem.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by morpheus24: 4:14pm On May 03, 2010
JeSoul:

Na wa oh  . . . everyday some controversy about the world cup lol.

Anyways, both sides have good points . . .
-a SAcan should be singing it - first worldcup in africa = monumnetal moment for the continent etc
-it's okay to have a foreigner collaborating, it shows its a global event

Personally, I think FIFA shoulda asked a SAcan to do it, just to avoid drama and to allow Southafricans to showcase their talent. Shakira doesn't need the publicity, it would've been better served giving it to a local artist.

And going by the two videos you posted Morpheus, Shakira's song is very nice and well done (including the accent and pronounciation of the local tongue), however, Knaan's/Bisbal's song is simply riveting, fantastic! definitely more deserving to be the official anthem.

I agree, knaan's song has a more inspirtional feel to it.

SA's too dey complain, though I get their point. What if the song was sang by K'naan, would they object as well cause it wasn't a South African singing it.

Shakira's song is actually a sample off an old Camerounian group Golden sounds which was popular in her home country columbia. I remember the group from my early days. see them below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC_YHGweLs
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by JeSoul(f): 4:22pm On May 03, 2010
morpheus24:

I agree, knaan's song has a more inspirtional feel to it.
Absolutely. If enough people complain maybe Fifa will reconsider.

SA's too dey complain, though I get their point. What if the song was sang by K'naan, would they object as well cause it wasn't a South African singing it. Shakira's song is actually a sample off an old Camerounian group Golden sounds which was popular in her home country columbia. I remember the group from my early days. see them below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC_YHGweLs
Lol, probably, but maybe not as strongly. It's hard to imagine all the brains at Fifa would not have imagined how this wouldn't be a problem. And it makes it even worse the song is not original, but infact a biting off an old song from another country being sung by someone from another continent. How them no go vex? lol

Although another angle. Do you know the history of fifa anthems and who sung them? ie was it always an American when it was held in America? or sung by a german when it was held in Germany etc?
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by morpheus24: 4:37pm On May 03, 2010
JeSoul:

Absolutely. If enough people complain maybe Fifa will reconsider.
Lol, probably, but maybe not as strongly. It's hard to imagine all the brains at Fifa would not have imagined how this wouldn't be a problem. And it makes it even worse the song is not original, but infact a biting off an old song from another country being sung by someone from another continent. How them no go vex? lol

They are looking at it from a commerical angle. Shakira will draw more people cause she is an international artist.

JeSoul:

Although another angle. Do you know the history of fifa anthems and who sung them? ie was it always an American when it was held in America? or sung by a german when it was held in Germany etc?

Ricky Martin sang for World cup 1998 in France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8c4KNZ1Sb4&feature=related

The rest of 2002 and 2006 was a compilation of several artists so not sure which one was official.

Funny the "waka waka" Shakira's song is actually pidgeon for " walk walk". He hehehe!. How broken take enter world cup. Truly African !!!
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by JeSoul(f): 4:55pm On May 03, 2010
morpheus24:

They are looking at it from a commerical angle. Shakira will draw more people cause she is an international artist.
I see. But at the cost of furious Southafricans lol.

Ricky Martin sang for World cup 1998 in France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8c4KNZ1Sb4&feature=related

The rest of 2002 and 2006 was a compilation of several artists so not sure which one was official.
Hmm . . . if this is the case, that historically it hasn't always been a native of the host country doing the official anthem, then I don't think south africans can complain too much. Although the significance of this being the first WC on african soil is certainly not lost on me. America/europe hosting is not the same as Africa hosting.

Funny the "waka waka" Shakira's song is actually pidgeon for " walk walk". He hehehe!. How broken take enter world cup. Truly African !!!
Lol, I wondered about that while I was listening to the song. I thought maybe it meant something else in SA-speak lol.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by morpheus24: 6:29pm On May 03, 2010
JeSoul:

Hmm . . . if this is the case, that historically it hasn't always been a native of the host country doing the official anthem, then I don't think south africans can complain too much. Although the significance of this being the first WC on african soil is certainly not lost on me. America/europe hosting is not the same as Africa hosting.

Believe the SA's would complain if it were even an African artist who sang it nor do they realize this is a sampling of a classic African hit song. Imagine the girl in the video asking Zuma to do somethin about it. Wetin Concern Zuma for this matter.

Most of them are yet to think globally and believe the WC is theirs not understanding that they have been bestowed a great honor to host a WORLD(not a South African) EVENT
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by chic2pimp(m): 9:06pm On May 03, 2010
Was about to say what does Jesoul know about footy until. . . . . . . tongue grin

P:S Anastacia sang the 2002(held in Korea and Japan) worldcup theme song
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by ufemia(f): 7:19am On May 04, 2010
grin The official song of the world cup start with "You’re a good soldier, Choosing your battles, " LMAO They captured Africa very well with the lyrics. Our child soldiers and army zombies are properly honored!! Poor South Africans, FIFA has them pretending to host the World Cup but they don't even know lol (just joking).
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by RSA(m): 11:53am On May 04, 2010
morpheus24:

Believe the SA's would complain if it were even an African artist who sang it nor do they realize this is a sampling of a classic African hit song. Imagine the girl in the video asking Zuma to do somethin about it. Wetin Concern Zuma for this matter.

Most of them are yet to think globally and believe the WC is theirs not understanding that they have been bestowed a great honor to host a WORLD(not a South African) EVENT

I am dissapointed by your comments,but then there is a saying that says 'people who generalise,they are generallly liars'.Shakira is horrible as a singer,she sings as if she's got something on her throat.What we are saying is we have talented musicians who are capable of doing this song.We have world renown groups like Black Mambaso and Soweto Gospel Choir that have won the grammys and other very talented musicians.

Believe me when I say this is our world cup,I am sure in the past it use to be FIFA but in South Africa it is ours,it is African world cup.And I think it is OK to believe in yourself as an African,Shakira did a bad job and we believe one of our own can do a better job,what is wrong with that?

Kaanan song is very popular in South Africa and people thought it was a FIFA official song and where OK with it,so please don't make us more xenophobic than we're already are.Personally I would have loved a song that have Femi Kuti,Vusi Matlhasela,Oliver Mtukizi,Yousou Ndour,Angelidjo Kidjo,Yvonne Chakachaka,Baaba Maal,Isamel lo and Tuface,Lira
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by morpheus24: 2:06pm On May 04, 2010
RSA:

I am dissapointed by your comments,but then there is a saying that says 'people who generalise,they are generallly liars'.Shakira is horrible as a singer,she sings as if she's got something on her throat.What we are saying is we have talented musicians who are capable of doing this song.We have world renown groups like Black Mambaso and Soweto Gospel Choir that have won the grammys and other very talented musicians.

Believe me when I say this is our world cup,I am sure in the past it use to be FIFA but in South Africa it is ours,it is African world cup.And I think it is OK to believe in yourself as an African,Shakira did a bad job and we believe one of our own can do a better job,what is wrong with that?

Kaanan song is very popular in South Africa and people thought it was a FIFA official song and where OK with it,so please don't make us more xenophobic than we're already are.Personally I would have loved a song that have Femi Kuti,Vusi Matlhasela,Oliver Mtukizi,Yousou Ndour,Angelidjo Kidjo,Yvonne Chakachaka,Baaba Maal,Isamel lo and Tuface,Lira

There's no problem believing in your own people and to showcase your talents but you guys get this proudly SA thing Twisted some times. I even came across a blog where your fellow SAffas where accusing Freshly grounds Zolani of being from Zambia and Issa Hayatou having something to do with picking the Shakira song cause it was sampled from an early 80's group from his home country Cameroon

The WC is a GLobal event and we respect SA for having the ability to host the event but please this is an AFRICAN WOLRD CUP not a South African WC. The sentiments of the WC is bigger than One countires PRIDE,
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by JeSoul(f): 2:59pm On May 04, 2010
chic2pimp:

Was about to say what does Jesoul know about footy until. . . . . . . tongue grin
  You no well  grin I would have you know once upon a time I was a serious Arsenal fan, made in the likeness of my dad and brothers . . . then something happened . . . I grew up  cool

P:S Anastacia sang the 2002(held in Korea and Japan) worldcup theme song
morpheus24:
The sentiments of the WC is bigger than One countires PRIDE,
Nice point Morph. Chic thanks for the tidbit too. I would say that since it appears historically the anthem of the world cup has not always been sung by a native of the land (infact it is rarely if ever the case) then I think Southafricans should let it go. There are bigger and more important fish to fry, battles to fight.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by folem: 2:39pm On May 05, 2010
It is FIFA's World Cup not SA's

Senegalese Youssou N'Dour wrote and performed the official anthem of the 1998 FIFA World Cup France '98 with Belgian Axelle Red "La Cour des Grands".

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7di2SPwWk[/flash]

Greek composer Vangelis created the 2002 FIFA World Cup Official Anthem.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMF1M-rCEJE[/flash]

American Toni Braxton also recorded a song with the multinational operatic pop vocal group Il Divo titled "The Time of Our Lives" which was used as the official 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany 2006 anthem and was performed at the championship's opening & closing ceremonies.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-_J303eqHM[/flash]
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by Mpele(m): 7:14am On May 06, 2010
I honestly don't have a problem with Shakira singing the world cup song, the fact is some of our artists are unknown. Some of them are bad! But the World Cup as much as it belongs to FIFA, we must have a say as our hard earned tax will be used to fund it! For the fact that it is in our country it means for the whole month, we will be owning it, together with FIFA!
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by eldee(m): 10:43am On May 06, 2010
It's called the World Cup for a reason not South Africa Cup abeg.
She's from Columbia engaged to an Argentine living in the Caribbean Islands and selling records all over the world.

What more do you guys want?? Because she's not one of the wives of the Swaziland monarch you guys want to display your ignorance to the rest of the world.

Was the France 98 World Cup song not sang by Ricky Martin??
Was the Japan/Korea 2002 song not recorded by an American??
Il Divo did the Germany 2006 song, was any of them German??

I swear, South Africans are just too daft to understand these things.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by Mpele(m): 1:42pm On May 06, 2010
@eldee

It shows how stupid and ill informed U are! It is the musicians who complained! Why are U now insulting us. Pls refrain from insulting us. What does Swaziland have to do with us. Why do Nigerians like to insult us whenever they get a chance. It is not our fault that Nigeria is a third world slum. I'm starting to believe that U're resentful because U do not have the capabilities to host such events.

GET IT INTO YOUR THICK SKUL, WE ARE HOSTING THE EVENT NOT NIGERIA!
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by eldee(m): 1:49pm On May 06, 2010
Mpele:

@eldee

It shows how silly and ill informed U are! It is the musicians who complained! Why are U now insulting us. Pls refrain from insulting us. What does Swaziland have to do with us. Why do Nigerians like to insult us whenever they get a chance. It is not our fault that Nigeria is a third world slum. I'm starting to believe that U're resentful because U do not have the capabilities to host such events.

You're not even ashamed to say it outside that your musicians are daft??
Mass Media is one of the agents of socialization . . . now I understand why an intelligent South African is harder to find than reptilian hair.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by Mpele(m): 2:32pm On May 06, 2010
@ eldee

What makes U think that Nigerians are intelligent. If U are intelligent as Nigerians, then sadly your intelligence has brought U nothing but poverty. U can't even clean your streets. U are busy butchering the hell oot of each other in the name of religion, if that's intelligence then I rest my case.

U're nothing but a bunch of resentful people who're just bitter that South Africa is now the giant of Africa hosting world cups, while your country with more than 100 million useless people is now even seen as less important than GHANA
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by saiyaman: 6:05pm On May 06, 2010
Mpele my friend, unless you are egypt (which is debatable) most of Africa is considered 3rd world/developing nations so stop acting like you are high and mighty because or a few shiny buildings here and there. S. Africa's and Nigeria's GDP are not that much different that needs you to sqwak to the high heavens about the alledged superiority of South Africa. Nobody's bitter that you uys are hosting the game, everyones happy that they even decided for any Sub Saharan Africa nation to host it, whether is Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, or whoever else. Its a proud moment to be shared by all Africans of all stripes. If you want to holler at someone go holler at the western media outlets that are noting that S. Africa may not be up to snuff to host a game of this magnitude, or the fears of women tourist being raped by gangs or better yet the expected increase in prostitution due to the games,

Here you are arguing about a song, for christ sakes a dang song that if you werent so blinded my your warped mentality you would see that its a beautiful song, that even thought the main singer is not African (or S. African in your case) made an effort to sing parts of the song in an African language, based off a song that is by Africans, and set to an African stylized rythmn, no you are arguing about it being Shakira who sang it and the alleged jelousy of Nigerians who wished they were hosting the games.

My man get a life.

Who knows what will happen in a couple of years it maybe Nigeria or some other countryu hosting the games or better yet the Olympics! shall we say the S. Africans are hating too.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by eldee(m): 6:52pm On May 06, 2010
Mpele:

@ eldee

What makes U think that Nigerians are intelligent. If U are intelligent as Nigerians, then sadly your intelligence has brought U nothing but poverty. U can't even clean your streets. U are busy butchering the hell oot of each other in the name of religion, if that's intelligence then I rest my case.

U're nothing but a bunch of resentful people who're just bitter that South Africa is now the giant of Africa hosting world cups, while your country with more than 100 million useless people is now even seen as less important than GHANA

Hehehe . . . poverty?? It's getting this personal??
Aren;t you guys butchering each other in the name of race?? Isn't it your same country that Dutch people are threatening to blow up malls??

Let the intelligence bring poverty . . . at the end of the day, we're not the ones that don't know the difference between the World Cup and the COSAFA Cup.
Tell your musicians to go to school, Shakira's got the whole world rocking and there's nothing they can do about that.

Meanwhile I'm coming to SA to watch Messi this summer, abeg I don't want to die ooh, I'm so sorry for dissing South Africans.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by AjanleKoko: 9:16pm On May 06, 2010
USA '94 theme song is 'Gloryland' by Darryl White, and the Sounds of Blackness.
Performed live on the opening day at Soldier Field, Chicago.

Will be back with a link, if I can find one . . .
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by AjanleKoko: 9:23pm On May 06, 2010
Ah, best I could do . . .

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyNR0UMVic&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"[/flash]
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by AjanleKoko: 9:30pm On May 06, 2010
Of course, my fav remains the 1998 song by Youssou N'Dour and Axel Reid 'La Cours Des Grands'.

Oh, I notice someone got that up there already.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by AjanleKoko: 9:48pm On May 06, 2010
eldee:

You're not even ashamed to say it outside that your musicians are daft??
Mass Media is one of the agents of socialization . . . now I understand why an intelligent South African is harder to find than reptilian hair.

Bro, easy o! SA musicians are not daft. Don't say that about the nation that produced Miriam Makeba, Hugu Masakela, Phineas Mkhize, LadySmith Black Mambazo, Lucky Dube, the Soweto String Quartet, etc.
Music-wise, IMHO they have the deepest and coolest tradition in contemporary music. Mind you I'm referring to contemporary jazz, classical, and world music, not Naeto C and MI.

Mpele:

@ eldee

Mpele, it's easy to see why other Africans can't feel SA's pain on this issue. You guys obviously don't see this as an African world cup, but an SA world cup. That's the part of it I don't like.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by eldee(m): 10:11pm On May 06, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Bro, easy o! SA musicians are not daft. Don't say that about the nation that produced Miriam Makeba, Hugu Masakela, Phineas Mkhize, LadySmith Black Mambazo, Lucky Dube, the Soweto String Quartet, etc.
Music-wise, IMHO they have the deepest and coolest tradition in contemporary music. Mind you I'm referring to contemporary jazz, classical, and world music, not Naeto C and MI.

Of course I'm not talking about that era, I've got a problem with the people that don't understand the concept of the World Cup.
It's not a South African thing, it's an African thing, it's a World thing.

It's extremely ignorant for them to start spewing B.S when the France 98 song was done by Ricky Martin.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by RSA(m): 8:49am On May 07, 2010
First let me say South Africans are not silly and illiterate.And I think Mpele's mistake was to try to reason with you,since I think you've got other issues that you have to deal with.

Regarding the world cup,it is in South Africa,hosted by South Africans and as host we have a right to demand certain things.To be honest you should be happy as an African that we don't let Europeans control us or send us around like headless chickens because we're Africans.
The sad things it is only in Africa where a visitor takes control of the host house and run things,and in South Africa our pride it too big to let anyone to do that in our backyard.
Maybe it was allowed inthe other world cups but in South Afruca we won't let it happens,if we do it will be because we want it to happen and it's not forced on us.
This world cup is sponsored by me,a taxpayer and a proud South African who want his country to move forward,
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by adconline(m): 10:36am On May 07, 2010
First let me say South Africans are not silly and illiterate.And I think Mpele's mistake was to try to reason with you,since I think you've got other issues that you have to deal with.

Regarding the world cup,it is in South Africa,hosted by South Africans and as host we have a right to demand certain things.To be honest you should be happy as an African that we don't let Europeans control us or send us around like headless chickens because we're Africans.
The sad things it is only in Africa where a visitor takes control of the host house and run things,and in South Africa our pride it too big to let anyone to do that in our backyard.
Maybe it was allowed inthe other world cups but in South Afruca we won't let it happens,if we do it will be because we want it to happen and it's not forced on us.
This world cup is sponsored by me,a taxpayer and a proud South African who want his country to move forward,

Should precedence be ignored simply because RSA wants their musicians to sing the song? You are paying for it, but also going to reap the reward. Remembered losing to Germany? This reminds me when Jennifer Hudson-Hollywood actress was billed to play Winnie Mandela in a movie, guild of actors started to demand that a local artiste be chosen even though it was Ok for Morgan Freeman to play Mandela in Invictus. Sometime, this national ego has to be turned down. If RSA had not been given the hosting right, so many other countries would have COMPETED for it. It's a privilege to host the WC not a right.
The WC public does not care who sings the song, but cares deeply how your country would showcase a different side of Africa to the world. This show ain’t it.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by eldee(m): 11:06am On May 07, 2010
RSA:

Erm . . . but they do control you. You guys live in the slums while they live in the best neighbourhoods.
Majority of the black neighbourhoods are places with extreme crime rate. . . or am I missing something here??
Well that's a topic for another day.

Now back to the World Cup . . .
So by letting Youssou N'dour do the France 98 world cup song France was being controlled by Senegal right??
Or didn't the French pay taxes too??

Sometimes maynne . . . I just marvel at your idiocy.
You are a poster-boy for the 'Ignorance is Bliss' campaign.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by saiyaman: 1:26pm On May 07, 2010
Be happy the songs you guys have are actually good! God listen to the one for '94, who the hell thought that was a good song,
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by udezue(m): 11:17pm On May 07, 2010
I can understans the swntiments of SAs but at the sametime the event is not a south african event hence you can continue beating ur chests over matters u obviously have no control of. If u find the idea of Shakira performing so offensive then quickly ask the organizers to move the world cup to another nation and I'm sure many countries will be glad to take ur spot. Its very simple.
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by femikay149(m): 1:52pm On May 08, 2010
hillarious thread, turns to sa vs nigeria, enjoying the drama sha
Re: World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection by folem: 5:10pm On May 08, 2010
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/03/waka-waka-hey-hey.html

Around the World, Waka Waka Hey Hey!

Last summer my friend Lamin, who works on WFMU's Mudd Up Show with DJ Rupture and writes for the Dutty Artz music blog posted a video there to highlight a dance called the Whop from Liberia.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6lDEoElHc[/flash]

The video drew my attention because I recognized the melody that the kids were singing from a Senegalese Hip Hop song that every so often would get played at San Francisco's Little Baobab. I liked the song, but didn't know the artist, the origins of the melody, or the language, which prompted some interesting comments from Lamin and crew. Luckily a week later I was in Dakar and was able to track the song down from DJ Coco Jean at a local radio station.

Here is Didier Awadi with Zamouna.

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ilxu2I68Jg[/flash]

For me the mystery was solved after I found Awadi's version,

, that is until I got this tweet a couple of weeks ago:

I answered, a little confused, and all of a sudden a flood of versions started popping up as Dave and I traded versions of the song.

We eventually found the original of that song which is Los Chicas del Can's El Negro No Puede. What I eventually realized is that the Los Chicas del Can version was written for them by Wilfrido Vargas, who like Juan Luis Guerra, has played with several African diasporic styles in creating his high energy version of 80's synth Merengue. It makes sense that he would adapt this tune from somewhere like West Africa. What's also interesting to note is that in some of the comments on the Youtube page people speculate to the meaning of the words saying that they were meaningless phrases made up by Wilfrido to sound African, but didn't actually reference anything.

The problem we had now was that Los Chicas del Can's version predates Awadi's Zamouna, the Liberian Whop video, and the Bubbling remix, and I'm convinced that the words mean more than nothing. Eventually Dave found a cover from Suriname that helped us connect the Bubbling remix to the Merengue original:

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAPIWAU4zA[/flash]

In the meantime while me and Dave were going back and forth, my friend Sonja re-tweeted the Zamouna video, which led to this exchange:

So now we have global proliferation and a potential origin. All I had to do was connect the dots to end up here:

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY053xz90jw[/flash]

The song is apparently a Cameroonian military song (click the link to watch the whole video) popularized in the 80's by the group Golden Sounds. A roughly translated French Wikipedia page explains a little more:

This song was apparently sung very often without understanding its meaning. The language is Fang since Za engalomwa word for a "Who did you sent?": The question of a Cameroonian military to another foreign-born, according to Guy Dooh Zangalewa group.

This song is interpreted in Fang. This language is widespread in Gabon, southern Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, and a little east of Central.

So that's my story of an Internet musical mystery presented and resolved. We've found versions or mentions of the song in places far from each other in distance and language, places like France, The Netherlands, Rwanda, Suriname, The Dominican Republic, Senegal, Liberia, and Cameroon. The meaning of the words may escape most people who sing it, even some from the nation of origin, and I'm sure there are versions in other countries around the world, but with the help of Twitter and some tricky Youtube searching, we were able to track down the origin and proliferation of a truly global song that proves language is no barrier to a great melody:

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd-mQ_eCijw[/flash]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Has Roads? / Spanish School Offering A Professional Course In Prostitution / President Donald Trump Has Been Impeached!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.