Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations (1029 Views)

Law School Approves The Use Of Hijab, Invites Fridaus Amasa For Call To Bar / The Use Of "An" Before H Sounding Words, Is It Correct? / How Med. Lab. Scientist Replied The DR's Question About The Use Of Stethoscope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
The origin of the word oga is very controversial, some say it came into existence during the slave trade era.The slave masters had locals whose job were to organize the slaves, and the slave masters called them organizers.This became too difficult for our people to pronouce,so they called them 'ORGA', These 'Orgas' were men of authority nd could act in the absence of the slave masters.Some also say the word 'Oga' is an igbo word gotten from Ogaranya meaning rich man/boss.The yorubas also lay claim to the word,they say it means a master,boss or a leader, a person in authority. away from the origin and ownership tussle, my problem with the word now is that people now call u oga at d slightest chance they get. When you are having a slightly heated conversation with them you are being called oga at intervals. I don't find it funny at all. There is just something disrespectful about the word when you are being called durin a conversation. Ofcox when used during a convo it dosent mean boss, dont know what it means.
Re: The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations by oglalasioux(m): 5:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
I totally agree with OP. The word Oga is now derogatory no matter the situation it is uttered in.
Re: The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations by mikeybrainy: 10:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
"oga" when used in an arguement may mean something like "mr man" or "guy".for example "oga calm down" can be used as "mr man calm down" or "guy chill".it is not offensive even when used in a quarrel.
Re: The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2018
mikeybrainy:
"oga" when used in an arguement may mean something like "mr man" or "guy".for example "oga calm down" can be used as "mr man calm down" or "guy chill".it is not offensive even when used in a quarrel.
I even find ur example offensive cry
Re: The Use Of The Word 'oga' In Conversations by Donald3d(m): 11:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
I use "My Oga" , it sounds more respectful that way

(1) (Reply)

Federal Government Scholarship CBT Examination Venues & Dates / JAMB 2018/2019 Cutoff Mark For All Universities In Nigeria / Delta Poly Otefe-oghara Part-time ND Form Is Out 2018/19 | See Details Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.