Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,918 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? (17121 Views)

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? / Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days / Husbands, Have You Noticed That Women Change After Wedding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by butterflylion: 11:11am On Mar 22, 2018
FluidQueen:
I can't go through all that stress of requoting.

So, I'll just try to let you understand this.
Women are not beneath men.

Anatomy should never be a yardstick for measuring leadership Qualities in a family.

Unfortunately and fortunately for some it is. There are some with higher intelligence than others but intelligence cannot be traded for strength. Leadership and authority comes in various shades and colours.

Both of them Mutually gets involved in a marriage. No one is denouncing anything or submitting to any Dumb authority.
The man is never the higher authority. Except this female chooses and wants him to be. Choice. That's what I believe in.

Yes it is mutual but in the woman is a naturally existing "weaker vessel" position that even she cannot deny.

Women should not be coerced into Changing their name if they don't want to. I wouldn't. I love my name, I love my fathers name and Won't trade it for Anyone's. And I know a good Sum of women that still kept theirs even after getting married. And their men do not oppose. smiley

Nobody coerces anyone. Surely you do not see an intended couple sitting down and having a discussion that goes thus

Husband: listen woman after we get married you must bear my name

Woman: over my dead body. I love my father too and wish to immortalise his name

Husband: if you refuse to take my name, then the marriage is off

Woman : OK then if that is how you want it then it is off.

Listen madam "fluid" most do it this way. If the womans fathers name is Adelaja and the husbands last name is Abiodun, and her name is Esther she would rather say her name is ESTHER, ADELAJA ABIODUN. This is what most do. Those who do not do this initially eventually do but for sake of their documents or external image would bear their maiden names but outside that, bear their husbands name.

Regarding loving your fathers name and your name, is your position and I don't really care about that.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by mrdna(m): 11:14am On Mar 22, 2018
A woman who is bold enough to ask this silky question cannot make a gud wife lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by laris: 11:17am On Mar 22, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:
It still baffles me why women have to change their names because of marriage, who introduced this tradition? ,for instance my name is Isabella Peters and I want to get married to Mr Phillips, so after marriage I'm going to change my name to Isabella Phillips or Isabella Peters Phillips??.
This has to stop, I keep wondering why feminists don't include this in their agenda angry

It’s a choice, you don’t have to. I didn’t , no one ever asked me to. But I have been asked “why” by some people.

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by XhosaNostra(f): 11:20am On Mar 22, 2018
TheUpsetGirl1:

Shaka Zulu was a Zulu king who died in 1837

Yes, I know that lol. I think there's a few people in the world who don't know who he was, especially around South Africa & its borders. Because he started the biggest tribal warfare, which saw smaller tribes running into neighbouring countries or starting their own kingdoms eg. Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland etc.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by Ralphdan(m): 11:26am On Mar 22, 2018
@theupsetgirl if you no want marry change neme remain single na
Who you epp ? grin

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by FluidQueen(f): 11:28am On Mar 22, 2018
butterflylion:

Unfortunately and fortunately for some it is. There are some with higher intelligence than others but intelligence cannot be traded for strength. Leadership and authority comes in various shades and colours.
In Your Words, Strength is the Standard for leadership?
In scenarios where the Wife Possesses more physical strength than the man, She becomes the higher authority?

You see where your logic is flawed?
Strength should never be Yardstick for leading. Except the word family is now synonymous to a wrestling Arena. Then, By all means, Your logic, however screwed and bias it is, is welcomed.

BTW, Horses Posesses more physical strength than men. I think think they're 'higher authorities' than members of your gender.
... Going with your 'wise' logic
Yes it is mutual but in the woman is a naturally existing "weaker vessel" position that even she cannot deny.
Lol. grin
Weaker vessel. Lol. You amuse me with your level of mental retrogressiveness. It's topping the charts.

Nobody coerces anyone. Surely you do not see an intended couple sitting down and having a discussion that goes thus

Husband: listen woman after we get married you must bear my name

Woman: over my dead body. I love my father too and wish to immortalise his name

Husband: if you refuse to take my name, then the marriage is off

Woman : OK then if that is how you want it then it is off.
Fair enough. Then, this Topic shouldn't even be debatable. Women could do away with their husband's name if they choose to. CASE CLOSED!

Listen madam "fluid" most do it this way. If the womans fathers name is Adelaja and the husbands last name is Abiodun, and her name is Esther she would rather say her name is ESTHER, ADELAJA ABIODUN. This is what most do. Those who do not do this initially eventually do but for sake of their documents or external image would bear their maiden names but outside that, bear their husbands name.
the hyphenated name is a welcomed development but not necessarily valid in my case.
AGAIN, I know a lot of married women that do NOT bare the name of their spouse. THEY DON'T.
Digest that fact, first.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by corpershun: 11:35am On Mar 22, 2018
mrdna:
A woman who is bold enough to ask this silky question cannot make a gud wife lipsrsealed

Says a man boy who cannot spell Silly

So many boys on nairaland that are still eating "mummy, thank you ma" and living in daddy's house. Yet feel like they have got experience SMH

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by siverspooon(m): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2018
I don't know
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by butterflylion: 11:41am On Mar 22, 2018
FluidQueen:
In scenarios where the Wife Possesses more physical strength than the man, She becomes the higher authority?

Strength should never be Yardstick for leading. Except the word family is now synonymous to a wrestling Arena. Then, By all means, Your logic, however screwed and bias it is, is welcomed

BTW, Horses Posesses more physical strength than men. I think think they're 'higher authorities' than members of your gender.
Lol. grin
Weaker vessel. Lol. You amuse me with your level of mental retrogressiveness. It's topping the charts.

Fair enough. Then, this Topic shouldn't even be debatable. Women could do away with their husband's name if they choose to. CASE CLOSED!

the hyphenated name is a welcomed development but not necessarily valid in my case.
AGAIN, I know a lot of married women that do NOT bare the name of their spouse. THEY DON'T.
Digest that fact, first.

This is what I said which you twisted.

butterflylion:

Unfortunately and fortunately for some it is. There are some with higher intelligence than others but intelligence cannot be traded for strength. Leadership and authority comes in various shades and colours

Just in case you did not understand what I just showed you again, I meant, for some intelligence is authority while for some strength is authority. It depends where there is need because it can always be interwoven or interchanged.

Next time do not misquote me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by edicied: 11:47am On Mar 22, 2018
butterflylion:

Does the father sleep with her? No
Does her husband sleep with her? Yes
Does she have kids for her father? No
Does she have kids for her husband? Yes
Can she be naked before he father? No
Can she be naked before her husband? Yes
WOW! I Am speechless what kind of illogical reasons are this?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by benji93: 11:48am On Mar 22, 2018
Gaddafithe2nd:

I will keep on condemning this tradition. I don't know those that brought this idea. Women should keep bearing their father's name. A woman still has right in her father's house, whether married or not. Women aren't slave that you buy off.
It begs another question, why the hell does she have to retain her fathers name? she can rename herself, and i have got a very good suggestion. Isabella Ignoramus

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by FluidQueen(f): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2018
butterflylion:

This is what I said which you twisted.

Just in case you did not understand what I just showed you again, I meant, for some intelligence is authority while for some strength is authority. It depends where there is need because it can always be interwoven or interchanged.

Next time do not misquote me.
So, In cases where the wife is more intelligent than the man, she becomes the 'Higher authority'?

Seems fair to me. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by FluidQueen(f): 11:58am On Mar 22, 2018
edicied:

WOW! I Am speechless what kind of illogical reasons are this?
The kind that ruptures your brain cells by Just reading it. grin
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by edicied: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
FluidQueen:
The kind that ruptures your brain cells by Just reading it. grin
Me my wife would keep her name oh even paying of bride price i dislike the idea it just don't sound comfortable to me i dont know if they would be a way around it grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by LordHiffy(m): 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2018
[quote author=XhosaNostra post=66032929]Lol, that's better, in my culture, they give you a new name altogether. You'll no longer even be "Isabella", you'll be "Lorraine" grin

which country are u from
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by hayzed1090: 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2018
butterflylion:

I am perfectly fine. You can elope and do it the Vegas way of course but do note that you would be on your own. This is Africa and even in western countries they do not encourage such. Even there fathers give their daughters away as a ceremonial gesture. You need to stop taking in too much "fluid" it is hampering your mental abilities.

A change of name is not denouncing anything. It's a show of honour and value and respect to your new found authority. Parents expect their kids to honour and respect them so for a father to ceremonially give you away to another man he is saying, do to him what you also do to me. Respect and honour him because he (the father) has accepted him.

Yes the father who took care of you and whose blood flows in your veins yet he refuses to father your child or sleep with you or see you naked but rather would want another to do this at a point in your life. That same father will give you away despite you being his blood or the money he spent on you.

I don't know who skydaddy is but what I know is that submission is in various kinds. But when brought together it becomes complete. The moment he proposed to you and made the gesture of coming to your parents for their approval he has TAKEN THE LEAD and only an authority can do this. Yes he is a higher authority.

It's a natural position which cannot be disputed. Throw a tantrum all you want but it wouldn't change anything.

U are intelligent
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by FluidQueen(f): 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2018
edicied:

Me my wife would keep her name oh even paying of bride price i dislike the idea it just don't sound comfortable to me i dont know if they would be a way around it grin
Meh. Your head izz there! grin

Your wife just needs to Share your Opinions. And you'd be good.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by XhosaNostra(f): 12:18pm On Mar 22, 2018
[quote author=LordHiffy post=66057046][/quote]

South Africa.

Here's a bit of info.

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by revolt(m): 12:22pm On Mar 22, 2018
corpershun:

Says a man boy who cannot spell Silly

So many boys on nairaland that are still eating "mummy, thank you ma" and living in daddy's house. Yet feel like they have got experience SMH
I'm pretty sure ure one of them fat ugly angry looking feminists. But well it's really not by force to marry. Leave the sexy slim, endowed, soft spoken, gentle ladylike, home builders to grow families. Like our mother's kept their homes. I'm sure there's trannys and lesbians willing to wed u feminazis. Women are the ones that even pride in changing their names sef....lol
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by wyzoe: 12:32pm On Mar 22, 2018
XhosaNostra:

It's a cultural practise, she knows she does not have a choice but to observe tradition.

What's your take on it?

What will happen to a woman who says she doesn't want to comply with that tradition?
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by revolt(m): 12:36pm On Mar 22, 2018
Now it is really not important to change surname as a woman, if both couples don't mind, they can answer different names. Though I wonder how documents for married coupled will be validated with different names. When the woman's name isn't on any of the properties cos her nsmrd different. Shell know. But its really not by force. Though it creates z family identity. If feminists can get men to answer their father's names then fine. We don't needing a feminist movement for this
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by shallysgirl: 12:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:
It still baffles me why women have to change their names because of marriage, who introduced this tradition? ,for instance my name is Isabella Peters and I want to get married to Mr Phillips, so after marriage I'm going to change my name to Isabella Phillips or Isabella Peters Phillips??.
This has to stop, I keep wondering why feminists don't include this in their agenda angry

It is also a matter if choice. You can choose to retain your maiden name after marriage. There is no law that says you must change your name after marriage.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by benji93: 1:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
FluidQueen:

Strength should never be Yardstick for leading. Except the word family is now synonymous to a wrestling Arena. Then, By all means, Your logic, however screwed and bias it is, is welcomed.

Lol. grin

Digest that fact, first.
You seem to acknowledge God as the highest authority, i inferred this from the phrase " i haven't even finished submitting myself to sky daddy". Now the following claim assumes that you are a believer. If you are not, then my claims are null. If you do believe in both parts of the bible (New and Old) then you must have heard nth-hand about an instruction by inspiration that the woman should subject herself to the man. If you disagree with this particular instruction, then my argument is null also. Maybe the problem here is semantics. Particularly the use of the word "beneath". In this context, if you understand this as suggestive that a woman is inferior to a man, then you are correct, a woman is not inferior to man. but a subject, by this i mean the man is placed above a woman with regards to authority, so this is a position conferred by God.The book of genesis tells us that the woman is of the man(out of), God could have made the woman out of nothing(non-living), as he made the man,it's not beneath is power, but he made the woman out of the ribs of the ma, what is this indicative of? Again if you do not believe the bible partly or wholly, then my claims are Null.
Back to the main point. The idea of women changing their last names or appending their last names is customary, the law does not dictate that, it has become almost compulsory though, but that's the same for most norms that have come to stay. A woman usually does so out of respect , joy, sense of belonging, or a combination of any number of those factors. When a father gives her daughter out in marriage, he usually hands her out, he customarily transfers some his fatherly authority, now there is the question of which part oh his authority was transferred. Now you can also say why the hell are you using the word "custom", and i would say, both laws and customs model the society in which we live in, i mean why would a group of people come together and decide that certain laws must be obeyed, and that if you violate any you risk losing your freedom. If you again say, hey boy to hell with the customs. i would also say, to hell with the laws, but unfortunately i cannot get away with violating the laws. So hypothetically speaking, if we get married(there is a probability that this can occur, no matter how small it is) you can retain your fathers name, but i would love it if you append my surname to your father's, and any women who changes their surnames are neither stupid nor ignorant. We do different things for different reasons, it doesn't have to be logical, besides your reason for not doing is not logical either, it's a choice(there is another question, what the hell is logical!), and no one should impose a custom on you. I claimed it's not logical because i could stake a claim that your father does not own you, so you can rename yourself or better still bear your mother's surname, which is again another man's, that's fair since she carried you in her womb for 9 months(you practically stole from her for 9 months) , she might as well own you. I could extend this argument by saying your mother does not own you, because where does she get the nutrients you feed on from, who made it, that person might as well hold all rights to your ownership(we believe that customarily, anyway), so you see our society has become really complex modeled by laws and customs, so you won't be helping yourself if you attack certain customs, you will have to go back by centuries. Pen drops.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by XhosaNostra(f): 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2018
wyzoe:

What's your take on it?

What will happen to a woman who says she doesn't want to comply with that tradition?

I have no real opinion on it, because it's just a name that your in-laws ( now "your new parents" or "your 2nd parents" ) give to you, in the same way that your own parents gave you a name when you 1st entered their house/this world. Marriage is seen as a new chapter or new beginning, so the new you needs a new name tongue

Lol, South Africans take their respective cultures very seriously, we don't compromise. Everybody has to follow the customs.

Below is a white woman during the name giving ceremony, just to show that nobody "skips" any of the stages if she wants to marry into our culture. No exceptions or excuses. You will be told, "This is how we do it here". The 2nd picture is that of a Xhosa woman. You can see that they're both dressed the same way because it's required by tradition/culture.

Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by ImaIma1(f): 1:15pm On Mar 22, 2018
In my own culture, we answer our father's first name as our middle name including the boys. It is not a gender or feminist thing. Our own second name is not useful in any documents.

Usually when we get married, the women don't only change their surnames to their husband's own but also the middle name which is their father's name. My mum also had our father's name as her middle name. Everyone had the same middle name.

It doesn't make me a less fulfilled person than the person that decides to stick with her own name or whatever. It is the culture and i didn't see any need to change or oppose it.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by monex(m): 1:15pm On Mar 22, 2018
bigtt76:
Hmmm why not add both names together ....it will pay you on the long run undecided Isabella Peter-Philips not bad to me sounds like a royal you know? Meanwhile all these feminists crap is getting to me joooor.

We are being enslaved by the feminists any more than they think they're helping us. We should not begin to see the male sex (or anything involving the male sex) as an enemy ....they are not! We should learn to accommodate them and chose what is good for us.

The issue of change in name after marriage is a decision left at the discretion of the couple although during submission of some official documentations, you may have to go at length to prove you two are married. Most times, change of name is the best and concrete proof to that.

actually a lot of what feminism is about has helped you. I am all traditional and against feminism but I can appreciate ( and push for) some aspects of feminism like equal rights and opportunities in society. These have benefited many women all over the world including you
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by monex(m): 1:40pm On Mar 22, 2018
corpershun:

Dowry is paid by a woman and done in countries like India

Bride price is paid by the man and done in countries like Nigeria.

Cultural differences.

Besides even when you change your name as a woman you have to carry that news paper cut up and down.
If you bear your maiden name you also carry your marriage cert photocopy up and down so its a two way thing.

I have seen people that didn't change their name and the marriage is waxing strong, I have seen those that did, the marriage is gone and the woman has to go back to change her name, I have seen those that adopt both their maiden and hubby surname.

Let us live and let live...Do what pleases you provide it makes you happy.

P.S Name change is the least of problems in marriage and raising a family-Character, compatibility and love are the most essential.

it is a question of convention and tradition. The law should not force anyone to change names. There is nothing to protest about. There are guys who do not require that their wife (or wives) change their name. Marry them. Previously, the law did not allow women keep their names and that was wrong. Today anyone can do a name change.

What we should protest sef is why the law frustrates men who want to take up their wife's family name.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by Iamsane: 1:44pm On Mar 22, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:

Islam doesn't Allow a woman to change her name to the husband's in marriage . Thank you.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by wyzoe: 2:01pm On Mar 22, 2018
XhosaNostra:

I have no real opinion on it, because it's just a name that your in-laws ( now "your new parents" or "your 2nd parents" ) give to you, in the same way that your own parents gave you a name when you 1st entered their house/this world. Marriage is seen as a new chapter or new beginning, so the new you needs a new name tongue

Lol, South Africans take their respective cultures very seriously, we don't compromise. Everybody has to follow the customs.

Below is a white woman during the name giving ceremony, just to show that nobody "skips" any of the stages if she wants to marry into our culture. No exceptions or excuses. You will be told, "This is how we do it here". The 2nd picture is that of a Xhosa woman. You can see that they're both dressed the same way because it's required by tradition/culture.

I presume the women will then have to do a legal name change to address the discrepancies on their documents/certificates etc
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by tunydaves: 2:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
TheUpsetGirl:

This girl is stupid with this post...You be asking rhetoric question, and be arguing with culture there. Children of nowadays are just different, so you have eaten another apple abi making your eye to be triple open, nd overseeing nonsense.

Remember that your are missing, that's why you're addressed as Miss. Isabella Peters when you are married, then you have been recovered by your man. Then you become Mrs (Man Recover Spinster). So you bear you (recoverer) name. Get that into your brain now and forever. And stop being childish. But, if you are not satisfied with this, u can argue with your ancestors
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by XhosaNostra(f): 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2018
wyzoe:

I presume the women will then have to do a legal name change to address the discrepancies on their documents/certificates etc

No, that's not necessary, this is when it's really up to her if she wants to change it legally or not.
Re: Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? by monex(m): 2:13pm On Mar 22, 2018
FluidQueen:
I do not Give a fúck about those culture. No one should have to conform to cultures that do not align with their conviction.

I do not want to ever trade my Surname for Another's. I love mine just the way it is. That is my OPINION.

and your opinion should be respected. No one should force you to change your last name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Advise Him: He Got This Mail From His Wife / Help If You Have Any Information About My Missing Brother / My Cousin's Mother-In-Law Is Tormenting Her!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.