Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! (876 Views)

Beautiful Lady Weds Her Oyinbo Husband At The Ikoyi Registry Lagos (Pics/Video) / Foreigner Flies To Nigeria To Wed His Lover At Ikoyi Registry (video) / 22-Year-Old Man Marries His 48-Year-Old Oyibo Girlfriend At Ikoyi Registry Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by Jman06(m): 10:56am On Mar 24, 2018
Please I need the opinions of nairalanders especially lawyers in the house. A friend of mine wants to go to the marriage registry to legally wed his heartthrob. The problem is that his people are not in support of the marriage for no other reason but tribal difference. My friend has made up his mind to marry the lady and his plan is to go to the registry and wed. So, he approached me to ask if the registry would require parental consent or not. He said that he is even ready to go and pay people who would stand as his parents if need be. So, i decided to share this with you guys to know if it is possible for the courts to wed a couple without parental consent.

Also, why is it that ladies are given the liberty to choose who they want to marry but once a guy wants to marry, all his relatives would want to influence his choice
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 11:08am On Mar 24, 2018
Go nd make peace with ur parents. You sure need their blessing.

Beg them nd make them reason with you. Getting impostors doesnt make sense.
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by Jman06(m): 11:35am On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:

What if he doesn't believe in parental blessings for his marriage to work??

1 Like

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by izzou(m): 11:43am On Mar 24, 2018
A sensitive issue like this and you came to seek an advice here?

He should talk to family members, elders, pastors or imams,etc

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:

there nothing like parental blessing just a myth a control tool by society... adam and eve got no parent if they where real or organised religions foketale

2 Likes

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 12:00pm On Mar 24, 2018
Jman06:
What if he doesn't believe in parental blessings for his marriage to work??

You got relatives, or elders dont you?

Talk to them.

1 Like

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 12:02pm On Mar 24, 2018
Alikote:
there nothing like parental blessing just a myth a control tool by society... adam and eve got no parent if they where real or organised religions foketale
You will only get to knw the importance of parental blessing/consent when u start facing challenges in ur marriage.
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by izzou(m): 12:11pm On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:
You will only get to knw the importance of parental blessing/consent when u start facing challenges in ur marriage.

I love a lady with all my heart. She loves me back too

We have been through thick and thin. I have even enquired from God Almighty if I should go ahead and wife her and I got an affirmative reply.

Now my mum and dad does not like her because of her tribe or whatever reason they have

And you SINAJ undecided is saying I need to beg them to like her because I need parental blessings??

You are making it look like our parents are always right

5 Likes

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:

another myth .....most challenges are due to incompartabilty to some degree which has to due with two strangers trying to be one...orphans,abandon kids do have sucessful marriages without any perent consent...where parent come in is societal to help out in future anticipatory problems....

1 Like

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 12:22pm On Mar 24, 2018
izzou:

I love a lady with all my heart. She loves me back too

We have been through thick and thin. I have even enquired from God Almighty if I should go ahead and wife her and I got an affirmative reply.

Now my mum and dad does not like her because of her tribe or whatever reason they have

And you SINAJ undecided is saying I need to beg them to like her because I need parental blessings??

You are making it look like our parents are always right

He said that he is even ready to go and pay people who would stand as his parents if need be

This is the part I dnt support.

You dont have to blank them out of your life just because they not always right. I believe op has uncles/elders dat can talk to his parents or represent them if need be.
Never let anybody or issue tear your family apart.
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by izzou(m): 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:

He said that he is even ready to go and pay people who would stand as his parents if need be

This is the part I dnt support.

You dont have to blank them out of your life just because they not always right. I believe op has uncles/elders dat can talk to his parents or represent them if need be.
Never let anybody or issue tear your family apart.

That was why I suggested he talks to older people, because I don't know what transpired that made him decide to blank them out

As for the scenario I gave, I will gladly pay someone to be my parent if my real parents failed to support or be there for me

How will my father or mother deny me the opportunity to marry the love of my life because they don't like her tribe?

Sometimes, family has to be torn apart for us to have peace and sanity

1 Like

Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 12:31pm On Mar 24, 2018
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by sinaj(f): 12:45pm On Mar 24, 2018
izzou:

That was why I suggested he talks to older people, because I don't know what transpired that made him decide to blank them out

As for the scenario I gave, I will gladly pay someone to be my parent if my real parents failed to support or be there for me

How will my father or mother deny me the opportunity to marry the love of my life because they don't like her tribe?

[s]Sometimes, family has to be torn apart for us to have peace and sanity[/s]
Happy Weeknd.
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by Kobicove(m): 6:14pm On Mar 24, 2018
Jman06:
Please I need the opinions of nairalanders especially lawyers in the house. A friend of mine wants to go to the marriage registry to legally wed his heartthrob. The problem is that his people are not in support of the marriage for no other reason but tribal difference. My friend has made up his mind to marry the lady and his plan is to go to the registry and wed. So, he approached me to ask if the registry would require parental consent or not. He said that he is even ready to go and pay people who would stand as his parents if need be. So, i decided to share this with you guys to know if it is possible for the courts to wed a couple without parental consent.

Please go and tell your friend not to ignore the opinion of his parents in a matter like this...

Tribal cohesion is VERY important in marriage!
Re: Does Registry Marriage Require Parental Consent??! by partnerbiz4: 6:19pm On Mar 24, 2018
Is Parental consent needed?

Ans : No if both parties are up to 21 years.

No time to write more now.

Later..

(1) (Reply)

Guys , What Is Your Turn Offs In Ladies -part Two / Once A Cheat, Always A Cheat. How True? / I Hate This: When Every I See People Attaching Someone Success With Church (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.