Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? (14528 Views)

How Can The Atheist Me Be Happily Married To My Christian Wife? See My REPLY / To the atheist, what do you think? / The Atheist's Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

Is it not still questioning atheism? Please, stop saying things that do not make sense. The Dawkins scale works for everyone. Even christians use it. I remember having a debate with a christian who said that he is a "1" on the scale- meaning that he 100% believes in God.

I have been a christian, deist, agnostic, atheist etc......I have been through the rabbit hole and back.

You have always been a christian. Sincerely you are an unqualified novice when it comes to questioning beliefs or disbelief.

Show me proof dude, don't just tell me atheists question atheism. Does proof not mean anything to you anymore?

Can I also use a scale I created to question my religion since you want to be unreasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 7:48am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

Is it not still questioning atheism? Please, stop saying things that do not make sense. The Dawkins scale works for everyone. Even christians use it. I remember having a debate with a christian who said that he is a "1" on the scale- meaning that he 100% believes in God.

I have been a christian, deist, agnostic, atheist etc......I have been through the rabbit hole and back.

You have always been a christian. Sincerely you are an unqualified novice when it comes to questioning beliefs or disbelief.

You don't know me. Those who know me here know my worldview over the years, they know from manybof my posts. That's a stupid conclusion. Its acceptable though with your level of bigotry.

I'm not questioning your belief so don't get worked up. I'm simply interested in pointing out the obvious flaws of atheism.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by superhumanist(m): 7:52am On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
You don't know me. Those who know me here know my worldview over the years, they know from manybof my posts. That's a stupid conclusion. Its acceptable though with your level of bigotry.

I'm not questioning your belief so don't get worked up. I'm simply interested in pointing out the obvious flaws of atheism.

Stop changing topic abeg. You claimed that atheists don't question atheism. I gave you clear reasons why that is nonsense. For one atheists generally move along the -deist-agnostic-humanist-atheist spectrum. They question themselves too

5 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by superhumanist(m): 7:54am On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
I know you can almost never find a thread on this section which an atheist created to blame any other thing apart from religion. I also know that you'll rarely find any atheist here blaming anything else other than religion. However im willing to accept atheist quotes. When quoting, refer me the thread link where atheists have criticized any other thing apart from religion. I'm interested in exposing the real intent behind those quotes and to let people know that for every time an atheist becomes honest enough to criticize anything else other than religion, he must have criticized religion a 1000 times.

I'm not here to do your research for you. I have already quoted one post that clearly destroys your claim.

Feel free to bask in ignorance. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by superhumanist(m): 7:55am On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
Every well meaning and reasonable person on this section must have observed that when atheists push their arguments, they coat it with all sorts of sugary names, pro-science, rational etc. However when they are being defensive, they retreat and teoo you atheism is just a rejection of beliefs. Deny it all you want, I can give you proof, just ask politely.

The dictionary has a definition of atheism and it has nothing to do with science.

Please, keep your lies to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 7:56am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

Stop changing topic abeg. You claimed that atheists don't question atheism. I gave you clear reasons why that is nonsense. For one atheists generally move along the -deist-agnostic-humanist-atheist spectrum. They question themselves too
I gave proof in the op. Don't give me anything else other than proof. Your words mean nothing to me.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 7:56am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

The dictionary has a definition of atheism and it has nothing to do with science.

Please, keep your lies to yourself.
I hope you keep that in mind when you and other dishonest atheists are attacking religious people.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 7:57am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

I'm not here to do your research for you. I have already quoted one post that clearly destroys your claim.

Feel free to bask in ignorance. Thanks
Lol grin

You're not here to give me proof you mean grin

I asked for simple proof and your jumping all over the place.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by superhumanist(m): 8:04am On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
Lol grin

You're not here to give me proof you mean grin

I asked for simple proof and your jumping all over the place.

Which proof? Did I not show you proof by quoting an atheist who blamed our country's problems on greed, corruption etc?

Ogbeni, you just want to repeat yourself.
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 8:11am On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

Which proof? Did I not show you proof by quoting an atheist who blamed our country's problems on greed, corruption etc?

Ogbeni, you just want to repeat yourself.
Go back to read my response to that quote.
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by Rockyrascal(m): 8:23am On Mar 25, 2018
The truth is most of the self acclaimed atheist especially the ones here on nairaland lives in the reality of the holy spirit without even realizing that. But we all should regard one another irrespective of one's believe and not necessarily force your believe on people but convince them in the best way you can.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 11:38am On Mar 25, 2018
Rockyrascal:
The truth is most of the self acclaimed atheist especially the ones here on nairaland lives in the reality of the holy spirit without even realizing that. But we all should regard one another irrespective of one's believe and not necessarily force your believe on people but convince them in the best way you can.
Many atheists don't believe this method.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by CoolUsername: 11:40am On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
That's the point I was trying to make in the Op. No atheist questions atheism.

Are you saying that agnostic atheists aren't atheists?

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 11:47am On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

Are you saying that agnostic atheists aren't atheists?
I'm saying atheists don't question atheism.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by Pr0ton: 11:52am On Mar 25, 2018
Winner01, your argument is like saying a car mechanic should deal with bad roads, getting drunk and high while driving, receiving calls while driving, tailgating, night driving, rain, fog, one-way driving, reckless driving, potholes etc since they also cause road accidents and not just faults in cars only. We know those are not the concerns of a car mechanic. His imperative responsibility is to make sure the car is fine and fit on the road. That is why he is a car mechanic, and not a 'cause-of-road-accident mechanic'.

Atheism by definition is the rejection of beliefs in gods and the supernatural. Defending and affirming our stance, i.e arguing all religious beliefs, is what defines us. Our definition doesn't say we take care of all the problems of humanity. And atheists, like other normal people, deal with other human problems like the ones you have mentioned. We just go one step further by questioning religious beliefs. And that's what makes us different from normal people.

It is our 'responsibility' or 'defining deed' to question religious beliefs. That's what we are for. And you can't blame us or give us credit for not arguing or arguing politics, and other areas of life, with respect to who an atheist is. That part is expected of everyone and even atheists do them.

Your post is spurred from shallow reasoning and a misunderstanding of who an atheist is. There are many false statements in it. Your post won't worth Austin's recommendation as Seun suggested, except if, of course, the guy is under the influence of shallow reasoning too. And I won't be surprised as per being a theist. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by CoolUsername: 12:20pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
I'm saying atheists don't question atheism.

By definition, agnostic atheists question atheism.
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 12:28pm On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

By definition, agnostic atheists question atheism.
And proof of this? A thread or something grin
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 12:57pm On Mar 25, 2018
Pr0ton:

This is the problem! You theists are dunces!
Yeah right, more than 90% of the worlds population are dunces. You are the only rational beings cheesy

Pr0ton:

This is the problem! You theists are dunces! So your brain can't make you see that lack and rejection can be two sides of a coin? Let me think for you. You can lack and reject the belief in Superman. Lack in that you don't have it, and reject in that you don't accept it when opined to you. You will still be on your same stance - no belief in Superman.
Coat it all you want, real atheists lack a belief and they don't scavenge religion sections to accuse religious people of opining their beliefs to them. How am I opining a belief to you on a religion section?
In your stupid logic of lack and reject, I can further include "attack" and you'll still be on your same stance

You're lonely man, go get help.

Pr0ton:

You are a big f0ol to think no atheist has created a thread against politics and the likes. And I'll be a bigger one to join you in the search for such threads. You have been defeated in your argument and started turning tail. Keep swimming in your guff alone! Swim and drown!
Atheists don't question any other thing apart from religion and most certainly, they don't question atheism.
This is why you spend your life on a religion section accusing religious people of opining their beliefs to you. This is what we observe and keep observing.

Question marriage, question atheism!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by CoolUsername: 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
And proof of this? A thread or something grin

Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8870138150

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 1:23pm On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8870138150
I know what agnostic atheism is.

Give me an example of atheists questioning atheism. Give me proof.

That you call yourself something is not enough reason to believe if you don't act the part.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by superhumanist(m): 1:47pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:

That you call yourself something is not enough reason to believe if you don't act the part.

The very notion of Russell's teapot is an example. It is an argument against atheism also.

It is an agnostic argument because it posits that we can never disprove if there is a giant teapot in space even if it is highly unlikely.

The same way we can never disprove God existing outside the universe even though it is highly unlikely for him to exist.

This stops some atheists from saying that they can disprove all god's. Some atheists are agnostic towards certain god's.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 1:49pm On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

The very notion of Russell's teapot is an example. It is an argument against atheism also.

It is an agnostic argument because it posits that we can never disprove if there is a giant teapot in space even if it is highly unlikely.

The same way we can never disprove God existing outside the universe even though it is highly unlikely for him to exist.

This stops some atheists from saying that they can disprove all god's. Some atheists are agnostic towards certain god's.
This is an extremely foolish reply.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by Butterflyleo: 1:58pm On Mar 25, 2018
superhumanist:

Your mumu don do.

Russell's teapot is an analogy, to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.
Russell specifically applied his analogy in the context of religion

When person call you senseless now you will start complaining.

You no get sense at all at all.

Isn't it atheists who claim they should not be asked to prove a negative?

Even at that the very purpose of Bertrands analogy has been disproved because WE CAN PROVE A NEGATIVE or DISPROVE it as it were. But somehow atheists never believe that they can actually show proof for a negative.
So they always attempt shifting the burden of proof to others despite also making claims of their own. Such grandiose proportions of dishonesty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by Butterflyleo: 1:58pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
This is an extremely foolish reply.

The guy is extremely dense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by CoolUsername: 2:01pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:

From the article,

In 1885 Robert G. Ingersoll, popularly known as "The Great Agnostic", explained his comparative view of agnosticism and atheism as follows: The Agnostic is an Atheist. The Atheist is an Agnostic. The Agnostic says, ‘I do not know, but I do not believe there is any God.’ The Atheist says the same.

Don't atheists on this forum frequently express similar views?
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by winner01(m): 2:03pm On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

From the article,

In 1885 Robert G. Ingersoll, popularly known as "The Great Agnostic", explained his comparative view of agnosticism and atheism as follows: The Agnostic is an Atheist. The Atheist is an Agnostic. The Agnostic says, ‘I do not know, but I do not believe there is any God.’ The Atheist says the same.

"I do not know" is not Questioning atheism.

Show me examples of atheists questioning atheism.
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by vaxx: 2:05pm On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

From the article,

my friend budaatum will disagree with you.
Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by Butterflyleo: 2:07pm On Mar 25, 2018
CoolUsername:

From the article,

An agnostic is not necessarily an atheist. An agnostic is simply a skeptic. What they say is that "they don't know if God exists but they are sure Yahweh does not exist". Such a foolish comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by CoolUsername: 2:09pm On Mar 25, 2018
winner01:
"I do not know" is not Questioning atheism.

Show me examples of atheists questioning atheism.

This is you just being dishonest. Atheism is the lack of belief in God. If an atheist can assert that he doesn't know for certain that God doesn't exist then he must have at least pondered the question.

1 Like

Re: Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? by budaatum: 2:13pm On Mar 25, 2018
vaxx:
my friend budaatum will disagree with you.
Was about to too. Though, I speak not for all people called atheist. Still here goes:

I do not believe that gods do not exist. I know that gods do not exist outside of the minds of those in whom they do exist as figments of the imagination.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ex-theists/atheists, How Did You View Atheists When You Were A Theist? / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? / We Humans Are Making The World A Sick Place, Yet We Blame God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.