Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Important Things To Consider When Buying A Washing Machine - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Important Things To Consider When Buying A Washing Machine (2687 Views)

Thousands Of Sea Creatures Washing Up In The North Of England ( Pics) / Ubaka & Atikpo Chukwuebuka Patrick Invent OGANIHU C² Bitter Leaf Washing Machine / Key Things To Consider When Buying A Computer (pc / Desktop) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Important Things To Consider When Buying A Washing Machine by VcStunner(m): 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
The best washing machines of 2018 are going to be judged largely on their eco-friendliness. Experience is the best teacher they say, but it is even cheaper when it is other people’s experience. Yeah, call me ruthless but who is willing to make a purchase mistake in an unfriendly economy like ours huh? From the simplest top loaders to the multiple functionality front loader washing machines, I give you a professional insight on things you ought to know before you get that new washing machine. But first, questions like: what do I want in a washing machine? What is my biggest fear in buying one? All needs to be answered by you, then use that answer to cross examine the points I will raise in this article.
So many factors make a washer “cheap” or better put, ECOnomical. And this could run from cost of purchase through cost of running all the way down to cost of maintenance! E.g, if the cost of purchase is very low and cost of running and maintenance remain very high, you will eventually pay more with time. And trust me, that is not a smart move in 2018. So consider the following for your new washing machine:
Energy Consumption:
Never underestimate this factor. On the average, a 6-10kg fully automatic top/ Front loader washing machine has a rated input range of 600-1200watts (for the most power efficient). Now there is a 3 quick maths you can do yourself. A certain electricity distribution firm in Lagos charges ₦27.2/Kwh for the A1 tariff class which you likely belong. If for some reason you use 10kwh/month, depending on your new appliances power ratings, your consumption would grow and so is the pressure on the grid, the bill on your meter and am sure you can calculate the cost. Good news however is that it is still in your power to control. Also consider buying a washer with a hot and cold water host inlet separately, this gives you the chance to decide whether you want to use the coil in the appliance or not for your hot water wash. Imagine running a 800watts appliance for 2hours and perhaps 3 times a month. Let me give you a hint… 60watts bulb for 6hrs = 360watts per day, add that to other appliances and continue from there. Interesting yeah?

Water consumption:
On the average, a washing machine fully loaded can consume as much as 50ltrs of water per wash cycle for the best eco- friendly washing machines as against over 100ltrs for a regular washing machine. What’s 100ltrs you say? I wouldn’t take you through the arithmetic but I bet you will pay more using electricity to pump your water in one year than you will pay for attention to my advice. And also not forgetting the eco-system hates waste. Buying a water saving washer will help reduce water wastage by over 2,000 gallons a year on the average.
Detergent Consumption:

In 2014, Samsung introduced the eco-bubble technology in their washing machines. This was in response to customer complaints of the previous designs that was made with no attention to detergent consumption. The eco-bubble technology enables the washer to completely dissolve the detergents by forming smooth lather and using the lather efficiently and effectively to clean the fabrics. What this achieved is that first, you save your detergents and save the environment from pollution, second is that the machine makes sure there are no detergent left-overs on your fabric and that helps your clothes stay longer without fading and weakening. So far, some innovative brands have also gone Eco.
Brand Reliability:
OK hold on now, this isn’t about my preferred brand; this is more about general acceptability. It’s not my job to make guesses anyway. According to the survey/research carried out on washing machines by the Green Tech Naija team, the most reliable washing machine (front loader) is Speed Queen! Ring a bell? I guess not. Speed Queen is closely followed by Roper, Maytag and Samsung. In that same list we have Whirlpool, Kenmore, G.E and Lucky Goldstar (L.G). But unfortunately we only have very few of the best in the Nigerian market. In Nigeria however, if you are looking for a good front loader, we recommend Samsung, and for a Top loader, we recommend L.G. if however you are considering a cheaper brand with almost same quality and grade, we will recommend other good brands such as Hisense, Scanfrost, Indesit, Haier, Frigidiare and Bosch in no particular other. Some of these brands do not have authorised partners in the country and as such may not guarantee you any after sales services.
Conclusion
Some washing machines have more features than others… but there are washing machines built to last. For every appliance you buy in 2018, make sure to ask what it can and cannot do. A wash and spin-only washing machine cannot dry your clothe, there is a difference between eco bubble and non-eco-bubble. Go for an eco- friendly home appliance to help save energy, water and reduce pollution. And hey, do not forget to ask for warranty on your new products and what it covers.
https://greentechnaija..com.ng/2018/03/best-washing-machines-2018.html

3 Likes

Re: Important Things To Consider When Buying A Washing Machine by Homeyfav: 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2019
';
Re: Important Things To Consider When Buying A Washing Machine by OliviaNell: 12:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
Also, when buying, you should consider whether the front loading or the top loading will be convenient for you. This is quite an important factor. Which washer is better for you is, of course, very individual. But if, for example, you buy a car for your grandmother, it will be more convenient for her top loading, since it is located at her comfortable level, and you do not need to bend down to throw things. There is a useful article on this topic, with a detailed description of the advantages of each of the options.

(1) (Reply)

How To Backup Gmail Emails On Mac / Download The Best Cafe Timer Made In Nigeria For Free! / Distilled Water & Electrolytes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.