Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy (11031 Views)

Innovative Agricultural Systems Critical To Climate Action / Only Agriculture Can Restore Nigerian Economy – PMB / Small Scale COCOA POWDER Export FREE Pdf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 22, 2018
FAQ

11. Could you assist youths without a good source of income to raise the required start up cost for just 1 plot of land?

My Response:
First, I thank my readers for the massive feedback I have got so far.

I told my assistant to put together the letters/short notes excluding PMs and DMs received so far (I run threads on some other platforms too), I was amazed to find out that about 108 out of 130 I have received apologized that they were intimidated and did not know what to write in my threads in their first paragraphs. What amazed me more was that out of the 10 writers I picked to have conversation with, 7 started analysing, they even brought out valid points, and 2 out of them were actually not newbies. I just smiled. The issue is that people lose confident in themselves when they operate in wrong environments. Nigeria is a tough place where it takes giving 100% of yourself, and relying on 100% miracle or seeking the help of an unmoved mover to lift one up. grin

I am moved by one letter I received 3 days ago, and I have been pondering on how best I can respond. Here is it:

Dear Fluentinfor,

Thank you for sharing your experience, it has really helped me. I was eager to always read your thread thinking I can solve my challenges but I received the greatest shock of my life 2 days ago when I realized that doing one plot is out of my reach. I reached out to equipment sellers and you are right about the estimations you gave.

Is there hope for someone like me? How can I find a sponsor? I read in one of your posts that loans should be used to expand a business which has been set up and doing ok. So, I quit trying to get a loan since I do not have any business yet. The question is how do I start? Thank you for your usual detailed responses.

I feel for this writer, and the ONLY suggestion I have is that he needs to put himself out as a master in what he does, and people who need his service will reach out to him. The main hurdle is how can he get this done very well?

My next FAQ will shed more light on it, and it will come later in the day.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 22, 2018
FAQ

12. What kind of cucumber/tomato/pepper/watermelon variety should I cultivate?

My Response:
It is not a straight forward answer. Let me give a scenario from my experience. I cultivated 3 varieties of cukes on 3.7 plots. One was dark green, and did fairly well; one was big light green, and it resisted diseases well with the highest yield; while the last was dark green, but performed woefully. Based on the performance on the field, I would have chosen the light green variety. However, the drawback was that it commanded lower price than the first dark green. So, I opted for the first dark green variety. Fast forward 8 months laters, I moved to another part of Nigeria, and the second dark green which performed woefully in the first region outperformed the other two. But this time, the light green variety commanded a wide margin price gap. I had no option than to choose the light green option.

Two factors have direct influence on the variety you should sow.
1. Acceptance - which variety is the most accepted?
2. Climatic Performance - What characteristics do you need in your variety to optimize your yield?

Yeah! I have tested so many varieties, and I have made recommendations to farmers on different occassion, but I am still a very careful person when it comes to this issue.

After a thorough reflection on this issue, I think I am ready to carry out an extensive research in different parts of Nigeria. Honestly, if I can get 500 locations, I do not mind at all. I am capable of managing 1,000 locations too. What I need to do is to get participants.

I am going to link this work with FAQ 11 where I was asked to help with ideas on how to start a plot of farm if there is no source of income. My idea is to show potential investors you can produce an average of 12 cukes per cucumber vine on as little as 30sqm plot, then, write out explicitly how you can replicate same thing on the area of land you want to cultivate with efficiency factor of 70% to 95%, (you must know how to measure your efficiency, I can teach you). You can sell yourself and your brand or service succesfully using this approach. Do not beg anyone. Believe in yourself, and ask for divine help if you believe in it.

I have been to many places in.Nigeria, and I can tell you that over 98% farmers (including my friends in the north) produce below 10 tons of tomato per hectare. Show me you can produce 75kg to 100kg of tomato on 10sqm and I will gladly try you with 3 plots. You performed well again, and I will expand to one acre. Thenafter, I will ask you if you can manage 10 hectares. grin This is how investors think.

So, why not use a stone to kill two birds. Research the varieties good for your area by working on small sections of land (10 - 20 sqm) for each variety of cucumber, tomato, or any kind of viggie you want to do. Then, approach potential investors with only the result of the best varieties. And predict the yield of proposed area of land you want to work on. The good thing is that I will guide you and assist you develop a very good proposal. Also, I will show you tricks in managing workers. Where I failed during my early days, i will tell you so you can learn well.

Cost of doing this
Seriously, it should be extremely cheap; however, the more the varieties you want to test, the more the cost. I do not see it more than N40,000 and it can be as low as N1,000. But I suggest you do a trial which is reasonably big enough to convince potential investors. So, have it at the back of your mind that you may spend N20,000 to N40,000.

Should I publish the results here?
Hmmmmmmm! Time will tell.

What Should I Grow?
Should I grow Murano, Nagano, Greengo, Monalisa, darina mix, Ashley, etc. Should I use Technisem, EastWest, Lions, Seminis, Star, Continental, Worldwide, bla bla bla brands? (Names from letters I have received. Names not endorsed)

When should I grow Padma, Cobra, Panther, Maxim, Roma, Greek, Indian, Nigerian, bla bla bla tomato varieties? (Names from letters I have received. Names not endorsed)
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by johnnyblaze424: 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2018
I have a few questions I'd like you to help me with sir.

1. How do I prevent my tomato plants from dying (wilting and dying)

2. Do I really need to stake or trellises or should I just plant them close together in such a way that they support each other in order to prevent the fruit from touching the soil

HERE'S MY FARM HISTORY
I planted two different tomato varieties sir. Namely: Roma savanna & tomato Tima. By technisem

I started nursery on the 13th of February 2018 then transplanted a month later (15th of March)

Then I realized that immediately after two successive heavy rainfalls this month (April) some of the tomato started wilting and dying off.

what can I do?
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 23, 2018
johnnyblaze424:

I have a few questions I'd like you to help me with sir.

1. How do I prevent my tomato plants from dying (wilting and dying)
We have the following wilt issues:
1. Bacteria Wilt:
Solution:
A. Plant varieties which can tolerate it
B. If your variety cannot tolerate, graft it with a good rootstock.

2. Fusarium Wilt:
A. Drench the appropriate fungicide. Not all brands can fix the problem. And the plant might not survive it.
B. Find a good microorganism strain which can over power the pathogen
C. Graft your variety with a good rootstock

3. Spotted Wilt:
A. Bombard your soil with neem cake + neem oil
B. Graft your variety with a good rootstock

4. Verticillium Wilt
A. Plant varieties which can tolerate it
B. If your variety cannot tolerate, graft it with a good rootstock.

2. Do I really need to stake or trellises or should I just plant them close together in such a way that they support each other in order to prevent the fruit from touching the soil
It is always good to stake. However, the way you stake determinate is different from indeterminate and semi- determinate. You may decide not to stake determinate if it is OPV and you do not want to spend too much on it.

HERE'S MY FARM HISTORY
I planted two different tomato varieties sir. Namely: Roma savanna & tomato Tima. By technisem

I started nursery on the 13th of February 2018 then transplanted a month later (15th of March)

Then I realized that immediately after two successive heavy rainfalls this month (April) some of the tomato started wilting and dying off.

what can I do?

I suspect early blight. You need powerful fungicide to combat it. Its very difficult to do. And it may be any kind of wilt too. Since you are a newbie, you should have started with an excellent hybrid variety. Roma is good but you need to be really good with it. If your farm is in South West, you need to do more to get tomato right.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by johnnyblaze424: 10:25pm On Apr 23, 2018
Thanks a lot boss
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 24, 2018
FAQ

13. Our forefathers depend on only rain, yet, they do not lack food. Why can't we use rain? Or how can we use rain?

My response:
The rate at which the world population is increasing is too alarming. Chinese are turning to Jews. They are moving to everywhere. I am sure that what we produce today is times 10 or more than what we produced few years back.

One business which will never die is food; therefore, agriculture will never die.

Why I think it is more difficult to depend on rain
In those days, farmers do not depend on NiMet for info on rain pattern. It was always similar rain pattern annually. It started getting difficult when flaming of gas, air pollution via terrible vehicles with crazy smokes, and other activities which destroy the ozone layer became too rampant in our environment.

Kudos to OBJ who banned 10 years vehicle and above. Instead of Jonathan to find a way to block the lopeholes of smuggling older vehicles from land port of entries into Nigeria (all borders), he was concerned about the lost revenue. Therefore, he over ruled the law. What a blunder!

Anyway, we are our own worst enemy. We cherish used goods. At times, I wonder if we really do not think deeply how the outside world sees us. Even, so called celebreties would flaunt 15 years old SUV like a big achievement. Why cant the "yeyebrity" buy a decent saloon car? Well na dem sabi.

Honestly, it is too risky to depend on rain for veggie in Nigeria. For grains, I might take the risk around May/June. As soon as July is approaching, I will never take the risk of sowing at that time. Three consecutive times few years ago, August break started in the second week of July and extented till 1st week of September. Then, it rained cat and dog in September/October.

I think rain in May/June and September/October are still constant and we can work around this time. To start in February, March or April may be real gambling.

2 options
1. Get a land near river with your powerful overhead irrigation as back up during unexpected break might be smart.

2. Learn rain making. grin

Crops you can depend on rain to grow
1. Tomato: Guys, if you want to learn using only rain to cultivate tomato, I have someone you can consult. He is a master in his field. Respect to this educated, humble and always willing to assist farmer. But trust me, I will make you pay him for his service. I went under him this year to learn tricks and he shared so much with me. This guy cultivated indeterminate without nethouse using rain shocked. Also, he has so many determinates. The farm collapsed when rain stopped finally.

2. Watermelon:
This is a very good candidate. It will survive drought even better than tomato.

3. Corn:
In fact, this is my favorite. Just make sure it gets enough rain at its early and middle stage.

Cassava:
4. After burying your stems, nust go and and drinking palm wine. No stress.

Common Crops I do not recommned with Rain

1. Plantain/Banana:
I think it is too risky. And when you bring out your products during rainy season when there is glut, you are going to have serious issues with sales. Except you find a very good variety that is big and fresh that its quality makes buyers prefer your product. Or you have a sweet variety which you can use to make chips. If you use drip irrigation (not those kind used for veggie but special types), You will have a big reason to be thankful. You may just irrigate once or twice a week. Very low cost operational cost. Not like veggie which is daily. Even cucumber is twice daily. What people do not realise is that cucumber has very high operational cost with intensive labor.

Papaya:
Do not try it with rain. If you want to make good cash with the varieties around now, always use irrigation especially with drip. I can give you tips on doing this. In fact, the market for papaya is so huge that I will go for hectares if I decide to do it.

Pineapple:
If you want to make cool cash, go for overhead irrigation for this option. If you do not, your pineapple may always be small and not always sweet.

More tips on fruits like papaya, pinapple, grapes, apple, grapes etc coming soon

1 Like

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Igwe001(m): 6:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
Scout for like-minds instead of waiting for them to come to you
1. Look for like-minds in chat groups you join.
2. Interact more with individuals on forums. Do not just be a passive reader.
3. Be positive towards locating like-minds. They are around you.
4. If you find a candidate, do not be intimidated with his/her wealth of knowledge. Approach him/her respectfully, and be generous.
5. If you are not financially capable, you can achieve very little. Why don't you work on that first. You can put people off with your extreme low budget mentality.
6. Present yourself the way you want to be addressed.
7. Present your ideas to attract the right set of people you want. This thread is not expected to get many likes and shares because it is targeted at a specific group of people.
8. What do you think I am doing by sharing knowledge freely? Of course, I hope my "like-minds" will be attracted to me. grin

Feel free to show interest in finding like-minds on this thread. Your like-mind may be reading. You can give summary of what you intend doing, or what you have done so far. As long as it is vegetable, fruits, aquaponics, hydroponics, or veggie related subject, it is allowed on this thread. It is just a simple leap of faith you must take like me. A simple leap of faith prompted me to open this thread. Yours might be just a single post. It might be posting pictures of your project, and it might be a good thread like this.

I wish you all success. [/quote]

I'm a like mind o! Honestly, I've been following keenly. Thank you so much for your free exposition, God bless you ➕ jara. Your thread has answered a lot of questions for me but also created more.
I have an eye on the southwest to acquire land cos of their cheap prices since I served there - Igbeti Oyo state. I prefer not starting with a loan so to raise such capital and for practice I'm about to plant cucumber on two different plots to here in Aba. I'm just in the middle of farming and completing a business plan still need help though.
Truly, when your small farm is not close to you na suffer head especially as a lone ranger but success is the only option.
Please what can you say about using enough cut grasses as mulch? Microorganisms; how is it done ?
I'll love to be part of your mentorship.
Tnx
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by ugnoble: 11:41pm On Apr 24, 2018
Igwe001:

Scout for like-minds instead of waiting for them to come to you
1. Look for like-minds in chat groups you join.
2. Interact more with individuals on forums. Do not just be a passive reader.
3. Be positive towards locating like-minds. They are around you.
4. If you find a candidate, do not be intimidated with his/her wealth of knowledge. Approach him/her respectfully, and be generous.
5. If you are not financially capable, you can achieve very little. Why don't you work on that first. You can put people off with your extreme low budget mentality.
6. Present yourself the way you want to be addressed.
7. Present your ideas to attract the right set of people you want. This thread is not expected to get many likes and shares because it is targeted at a specific group of people.
8. What do you think I am doing by sharing knowledge freely? Of course, I hope my "like-minds" will be attracted to me. grin

Feel free to show interest in finding like-minds on this thread. Your like-mind may be reading. You can give summary of what you intend doing, or what you have done so far. As long as it is vegetable, fruits, aquaponics, hydroponics, or veggie related subject, it is allowed on this thread. It is just a simple leap of faith you must take like me. A simple leap of faith prompted me to open this thread. Yours might be just a single post. It might be posting pictures of your project, and it might be a good thread like this.

I wish you all success.

I'm a like mind o! Honestly, I've been following keenly. Thank you so much for your free exposition, God bless you ➕ jara. Your thread has answered a lot of questions for me but also created more.
I have an eye on the southwest to acquire land cos of their cheap prices since I served there - Igbeti Oyo state. I prefer not starting with a loan so to raise such capital and for practice I'm about to plant cucumber on two different plots to here in Aba. I'm just in the middle of farming and completing a business plan still need help though.
Truly, when your small farm is not close to you na suffer head especially as a lone ranger but success is the only option.
Please what can you say about using enough cut grasses as mulch? Microorganisms; how is it done ?
Tnx

Where in Aba are you? We might schedule a meeting?
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 25, 2018
Igwe001:

Tnx

If you have a garden, you can easily maintain it. If it is a big farm, what quantity will you use as mulch? Microorganisms can be cultured and multiplied.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 26, 2018
FAQ
14. Half of my cucumber, watermelon, and okra seeds did not germinate well, and they were not attacked by insects. What could have happened?

My response:
1. Harsh weather: Too high and low temperature can affect germination rate on the field.

2. Expired seeds: Seeds gradually lose their ability to germinate due to age. The older they are, the lesser energy in them.

3. Exposure of seeds to harsh weather when not used.

4. Opening of seed cans and sachets for a long period of time. Better to store them in air tight bags after opening seed packets.

The above are 4 reasons which make seeds perform poorly if they are not eaten by insects or rodents.

Old seeds can be treated, and they can be re-loaded with super energy. Also, seeds can be treated to tolerate harsh weather to certain extent. Farmers usually have challenges with seed germination during harmattan. Apart from using nyon to cover them, there are other ways of treating them.

Farmers need to just know the right way to build the immune system of their plants. Just like how vitamins help to build human immune systems, crops can be helped too. The kind of crops one is workimg with determine what to use.

The concept can be explained like this. Seeds do not need nutrients for the first 1 - 3 days after sowing. They use the stored energy inside them. So, why don't you pack more energy inside them? Why don't you give them accelerated start off? Why don't you make them grow rapidly during their early days?

Seed companies only treat seeds with fungicides. Well, it is a bad news for organic farmers grin that the seeds they buy are always treated with chemicals. Well, fungicides will not increase the germination rate of your seeds. I have seen where microbes are used.

Using these nutrients might make your operational expenses higher than local farmers, but the dividends are high. This subject is more advance than the topic we are dealing with.

I have tried some brands here but what I detected was that the active ingredients were greatly reduced, and the content are more of fillers. It has been great germination rates for me after I started importing genuine products. Quite expensive produts, but quite satisfying. What I did was to send some products to groups under my supervision, and one of them was greatly surprised how she got almost 100% germination rate.

Seeds are too expensive these days. For me, 70% - 85% germination rate written on most seed packs are not cost effective. Also, planting 3 to 5 seeds per hole, and thinning to one per hole afterwards is out of the equation for me. Treat excellently your seed and watch them germinate excellently.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Igwe001(m): 11:38am On Apr 26, 2018
ugnoble:

Where in Aba are you? We might schedule a meeting?
Around Winners Chapel Goshen Ovum1 Ogbor-hill/magic fm but at shopping center at the moment
Zero 9zero55958833
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by ugnoble: 10:08pm On Apr 26, 2018
Igwe001:

Around Winners Chapel Goshen Ovum1 Ogbor-hill/magic fm but at shopping center at the moment
Zero 9zero55958833

Ok, I'll call you.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 6:53am On May 01, 2018
fluentinfor:

Highlight of the Training
- FREE of charge
- You buy all materials you need - Seeds & Agro-products
- Find 1/15 to 1 plot of land to practice, you can use your backyard.
- Sack farming can be learned too
- Do- it- yourself approach
- Telegram based training
- If you can take instructions via chat apps, you can do it
- Straight forward lessons with detailed steps to take
- Farm set up at a refuced cost when ready to set up
- You can choose from the following crops:

- Solanum: Tomato, capsicum, chilli, habanero, eggplant
- Curcubits: cucumber, watermelon, melon, pumpkin, and zuchini
- Greens: parsley, lettuce, and basil
- Roots: radish, carrot, turnip, onion,
- Brassica: cabbage, cauliflower, and brocoli
- Others are: okra, and indegineous greens.

Registration ended yesterday. I hope all those who have registered will benefit from it. I do not intend rolling out another training soon. In fact, I do not see myself doing this again in the nearest future. For now, I am stopping it indefinitely. My intention is to follow up the groups I have created to an expected end.

Please, do not contact me again for training. I think this training may be my last one. I have paid my dues for FREE training. It is time to wrap it off finally.

God bless!
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 11:02am On May 02, 2018
- - - - - Marketing Nugget - - - - -

Some of the people I am working with carried out extensive market survey, and what we got is interesting. I am beginning to think there are many opportunities in every part of Nigeria.

Just try the marketing tip of locating veggie agents, especially those hausas around,and you will be shocked what you will unravel. If you are in Lagos, just try to keep in touch with with the two veggie major markets there.

What I discovered again is veggie are getting extremely more expensive in south south, and south east. Hausas supply them there too. Seriously, I am comtemplating establishing big farms in major cities there.

Funny that we feel Abuja and Lagos are two hot areas, but the recent survey showed me places like Port Harcourt, Aba, Enugu, Uyo, Calabar, Delta (just to mention few cities) are super hot cakes.

While 48kg bag in Lagos fluctuates around N3,000 to N4,500; some of those cities have around average price of N5,500 for 35 - 38kg bags.

Again, watermelon is already getting cheap in Lagos/Ogun, while in the east it is not.

From my observation too, South West youths are going more into Agriculture (i mean all tribes living there). And labor force from the north are coming more in to south west.

I think if Lagos had massive land, it would do wonderous work in farming. Hmmmmm! But I cannot understand what is wrong with Ogun. Things are crawling in the area. I expect exponential development there.

I think hausas will soon dorminate south east and south south too. Kudos to the hard working farmers there. I just love my friends there. They are wonderful set of people.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Charis2: 9:56pm On May 04, 2018
How can i contact you privately to consult for us in our commercial farm located in lekki Lagos?
fluentinfor:
1.33 CASE STUDY: VETRA, A Failed Vegetable Farm

Vetra Farm was a farm I managed in south west. This farm was a failure, and I felt I could save it. Looking at it from human angle, I should. However, farming has made me realise that we do not live in ONLY a physical world. Please, I am not here to argue with anyone if you agree with me or not.

How can I explain a situation I was looking for a good land, and I saw a beautiful piece but I was told the owner will never release it? I wanted to even pay five times its value, and still couldn't buy it. I found info about him and realized he is an elderly traditionalist. I decided to approach him but I had another agenda. I wanted the land but I approached him for his service of providing herbs. Herbs for farmers, hermorrhoid, bla bla bla. grin But all na "wash". Na just to penetrate. I was shocked when I entered his sitting room with what I saw. I cannot even describe it here. Na so baba came out. He listened to the kind of herbs I wanted. When he opened his mouth, I was surprised. Not only did he knew my intention, but he started telling me private things about me which I never discussed with anyone there. To the extent, he asked me to verify some things. I battled with it for a week, but when I eventually called some elderly members of my family, it was 100% correct. Na so, I opened my mouth. I used some of the secrets he shared with on the land I was having little challenges and it worked perfectly. I remember vividly. He said, "son, you do not need my land".

I have had many other stories from my colleagues too and these experiences have made my science and logic approach a bit more flexible. A big lesson I have learned is PRAYER is the KEY.

Ask, and it will be given; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened for you. While I use my little knowledge to explore, I have learned to seek help from people who are more experienced. One big truth is that at every stage in our lives, there is someone who is more experienced, and it will do us well to find that person. Humility makes it possible to always want to learn no matter who we are.

Back to Petra. I started working with some people on this land without finding out the history of the land. I should have not used the land because I saw some signals that it was a hard land but I felt I could make it better easily. But I realise later that the cost of ammending it will be too much.

Another issue i just noticed on the farm was that my partners and I never seemed to agree with ourselves on what to do. They just kept saying yes to what they wanted to say yes to. But on vital areas which we needed to use new equipment, they opted for used products which I was against. The cost of running those equipment was just too much. I believe they realized later that it was a bad move. In addition, workers just kept rebelling and were stealing our fruits to make extra cash for themselves.

I could have continued there but i experienced "Force Majuere" which made me close the farm. I just had to. My greatest surprise was the final day I was getting out of the farm, an elderly man met me, and called me again. After a brief chat, the man said "Why do all our children feel they know all, and they do not consult knowledgeable people? Education you had in school is different from working on farms in this part of the world. Son, learn to dine with the elders. You shouldn't have used this land piece." I thanked the man who told me the main reason bitterness, violence, misunderstanding were happening during the period the farm was opened. I counted our loss which was over 4.5 million naira and I moved on.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 9:25am On May 05, 2018
Charis2:
How can i contact you privately to consult for us in our commercial farm located in lekki Lagos?

Presently, I cannot. We have a huge project ahead with foreign partnership. I am not always around. And I do not see myself doing such in the nearest future. Enough work in my own organisation.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 05, 2018
2.0 Indoor Farming

This section should attract veggie lovers who have spaces in their living rooms, kitchen, bedroom, etc for cultivating vegetable.

Also, we will talk about optics briefly. This is a kind of greenhouse, but we will discuss cultivating some kind of veggie in your house. We will discuss in details hydroponics and aquaponics. We will see how aquarium can be used to grow good fruits in the living room. Well, I am a private person, and I would have loved to share the picture of my living room. Hmmmm. I will not. grin

Do you realise you can grow apple, orange, guava, etc. In your living room? Yeah! We will talk about it.

Without sunglight, there cannot be photosynthesis. So, how can plants get light in a covered area. Yeah! Outdoor high and low tunnels are covered with transparent plastic which allows light to pass through it. But the roof of our homes are already covered. Hmmm.

And there is a technology you can use for your closet or store where you go during the day only where you can use Sunlight as real light in it. I have seen quite many offices in north America and Europe where offices reduce the cost of electricity by using Sunlight. I am not talking about solar panel, inverters or bla bla bla stuff. I.am talking about using real Sunlight. And I have seen this tevhnology in the simplest form used in under developed countries. I will post pictures, videos, etc to drive home my points.

Keto- diet is rampant now. I can bet you that if you install a simple set up of this kind, you can always produce peppermint inside your living room or bedroom.

Many set ups in this category came to lime light after many cities lift ban on marijuana. Many indoor growers of "weed" are in the US. Infact, they are over too many in Holland angry

Finally, I may post a financial cost of constructing a profitable structure like this.

Follow me as I launch you into the world of mordern Agriculture.

1 Like

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 05, 2018
2.1 Bonsai - Grow trees in small pots
You use one of these to beautify your living room. This is the power of grafting. Attached pictures are: orange, apple, and mango trees.

1 Like

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 06, 2018
2.2 Liter of Light
In 2002, someone thought deeply and came up with a way of getting approximately 60watts bulb without electricity. I was so impressed with his work the day I first read about it, and I have got many tasks solved with this simple idea. He is Alfredo Moser , a Brazilian mechanic and inventor. He is known for his Moser lamp.

The lamp is made of 1.5 liters of plastic soda bottles filled with water, and a bottle cap quantity of bleach is added to prevent algea developing in it. The bottle is mounted on roofs and sealed. You "gat" 60watts bulb. This technology is being used in Phillipines, Brazil, Bangladesh,Kenya, etc. Watch the video attached.

Questions.
1. What can I do with this simple technology?
2. What is the relationship between this technology and Agriculture?

For more info:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liter_of_Light

http://www.instructables.com/id/Off-the-Grid-Lighting-Solution-LED-Moser-Light-Evo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Fpsw_yYPg&gl=NG&hl=en-GB

1 Like

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 8:56am On May 07, 2018
2.3. Light Tube

Sun pipes are used in developed countries, but I know it is needed more in developing countries.

These tubes are installed on roofs, and they transmit light inside without transfering heat inside. So amazing. This is an advance Moser Light.

Just start thinking what you can do under a covered roof. Moser light and Light Tubes provide a means to give plants under covered roof. Remember that growing inside eliminates over 95% infection.

I really appreciate bringing inside sunlight when I started my tissue culture laboratory. I got a very good light tube and it is great. It has the same effect as direct sunlight. Very strong and healthy plants can be grown with one of these.

I am just sad that majority readers cannot afford these simple technology. In fact, many will not even think in this direction because the aim is to use N20,000 to cultivate 1 ha of land. angry Anyway, I believe Africans in diaspora visit nairaland too. A beg, it is not only cutlasses and hoes people use back home. That you see expired techniques on nairaland pages, does not mean we are very far behind. If you want to invest, just search well for a brilliant team. The same way you find latest editions of vehicles in Nigeria, is the same way you will find brilliant advance tevhnology in all areas in Nigeria. Just search well.

Maybe this section does not make sense or attract the low start up cost guy, but I am sure it will change how investors think about farming here. Even at micro- scale, you can be highly effective, and make it profitable.

If you know about tissue culture, you will appreciate light tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9jncUzOL8I

1 Like

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 3:14am On May 10, 2018
2.4 Grow Light

Tissue Culture is an area I am so deeply into. My personal laboratory is superb, and I am proud of it. I research so much, and I just love it.

I read about a young man saying medicine is all in all, and I just laughed. To me, it is micro- biology first, thenafter, other stuff. Biology is the basis, and will ever be the main thing. Think of it - Biologists make more break-throughs. They find cure to most ailments. Do not get me wrong, medicine is nice, but I respect biologists more. I just feel over 98% doctors will never innovate. They learn procedures and do them, again, and all over again. While biologists innovates everytime they get into their laboratories. Exceptional doctors are the thinkers.

We have seen how chemistry is vital to Agriculture, physics and optics, biology/chemistry and micropropagation. Interesting.

I am not going into the details but still on optics - some argue blue - red spectrum is what plants need. Further research was carried out, and it was shown that plants grown in full sun seem tougher than those grown in red- blue, which seem thin and tall. Interesting observation.

Thenafter, full spectrum grow light started making way into the world of indoor growing.

Marijuana growers in nations which allow it have really developed indoor growing. cheesy

Questions for thought:
1. Is green color shade net the best for covering greenhouses?

2. Black or White shade net? Lol!

3. When should full spectrum grow light be used? Which areas are selected spectrum used? Can you identify selected spectrums for selected tasks which do better job than full spectrum?

Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Emmafly(m): 9:12pm On May 11, 2018
fluentinfor:
2.2 Liter of Light
In 2002, someone thought deeply and came up with a way of getting approximately 60watts bulb without electricity. I was so impressed with his work the day I first read about it, and I have got many tasks solved with this simple idea. He is Alfredo Moser , a Brazilian mechanic and inventor. He is known for his Moser lamp.

The lamp is made of 1.5 liters of plastic soda bottles filled with water, and a bottle cap quantity of bleach is added to prevent algea developing in it. The bottle is mounted on roofs and sealed. You "gat" 60watts bulb. This technology is being used in Phillipines, Brazil, Bangladesh,Kenya, etc. Watch the video attached.

Questions.
1. What can I do with this simple technology?
2. What is the relationship between this technology and Agriculture?

For more info:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liter_of_Light

http://www.instructables.com/id/Off-the-Grid-Lighting-Solution-LED-Moser-Light-Evo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Fpsw_yYPg&gl=NG&hl=en-GB
dear sir, kindly advise me on where to get potassium, calcium, micro nutrients for application to my cucumbers. thanks for all your write up's on this section.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 12, 2018
FAQ
15. Almost all small scale farms collapse. Many farmers have turned to training projects to make income. Is farming really profitable?

My response:
You are absolutely right. Micro scale farms around are in trouble. The truth is that 99.9% of success posts you see on nairaland are fake. They are not making profit. In real life, most small scales farmers are not making profits.

I have made cucumber financial figures on this farm, and I know they are correct. On paper, it looks so profitable, but in real life, it is a different story. Why?

Talk to all the farmers and you find out that the issue of workers is their main headache. You are working with a poor man in mind and poor in financial matters, what do you think you will achieve? Your workers look miserable to your farm, and you think you can bring out millions, I am sorry. You are a fool believing poor workers can make you rich when they are not slaves.

Talk to most farmers, their language is cutting down the cost of production, and you think you will make it using their method. The man who advised you to cut down your cost of production, is he successful? You are listening to failed farmers and you think you will make it big.

You are partnering with farmers. Have you asked yourself why the farmers agree to partner with you? If they can make millions, why are they not making the millions for themselves? You are funny. So, you do not know the real naija man? He is making money, and you think he will work for you?

99.9% of my readers are just reading. They are still going to farm to listen to failures. Why? They want to cut down cost of production too. Eveyone aims at becoming Dangote, but none wants to invest heavily like him.

Small scale businesses do not work in Nigeria. Do you know how many offers to come manage their farms I get daily? Why should I? I do not need that kind of offer again. I am not going to even advise farms I know the owners will start cutting down operational cost, and employ miserable workers. Never!

If you are reading, and you do not have at least 5 million naira to invest well, you are likely to fail. The other factor is getting a good team.

A farm where the managers are paid well as if they work in banks has got higher success probability. Farming is a business which needs professionals. If you like listen. If you like go and waste your pension fund. Na you sabi. In fact, farming is not meant for you if you have just lost your job, if you are a worker and looking for "farm for me and give me profit", and if you are looking for 1,000% ROI, stay away from farming investments. May be you can be successful with NaijaBet, Forex trading or Crypto-Currency Trading.

I might write about my personal experience with collecting investment from people. It is a funny experience, and a real bitter truth. I will never take one kobo from anyone again in my life to manage a micro scale farm. Never and never. And I am going to advise you. Do not give anyone who ask you to join one stupid cluster group investment farming. You will lose your money stupidly. They write beautiful proposal, excellent figures, but I am sorry for your hard earned currency.

My experience about "farm for me" is really bitter. Till date, I regret doing it. And I was pushed into it because I felt I could reach out to many interested people via it. Honestly, I should have stayed with my farms I was doing at the time. You will be shocked. I am not someone who hides his challenges and failures. I have had mine too. You will be shocked if I decide I to write about them.

If you are going to look for investors, think BIG. Do it like a real business. As a farmer, raise your bar high. Know your job very well, and go for the best. Your real investors are not on nairaland, but are there in the real world. They are very big people. If you can build a business that can get board of directors, then, you are in the game. Not the kind of come invest in castor, come do plantain, cassava is selling well and you should come make 200% ROI. You will cry at the end of the day.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 12, 2018
Emmafly:

dear sir, kindly advise me on where to get potassium, calcium, micro nutrients for application to my cucumbers. thanks for all your write up's on this section.

Check the first post on this thread and contact me. I will link you up with sellers who will give you excellent prices. If you are in certain parts of Lagos or Ogun, they might even bring them to your farm or house without collecting money for transport.

However, I am interested in your farm management program. Most farmers destroy their land with potassium, calcium, nutrients etc. If you want to discuss this too, we can.

My time will soon be up and I will close all activities in this area. My next FAQ is deep. Hmmmm
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Emmafly(m): 2:17pm On May 14, 2018
fluentinfor:

Check the first post on this thread and contact me. I will link you up with sellers who will give you excellent prices. If you are in certain parts of Lagos or Ogun, they might even bring them to your farm or house without collecting money for transport.

However, I am interested in your farm management program. Most farmers destroy their land with potassium, calcium, nutrients etc. If you want to discuss this too, we can.

My time will soon be up and I will close all activities in this area. My next FAQ is deep. Hmmmm

thank you Sir. I have sent a message on telegram.
I am just managing a garden of 1 acre with about 200 grams seed averaging 5k seedlings above in first pilot. though things are happening very fast but I am really trying my best with a team of 2 staff at the moment. the last seeds planted is now 5 days abt 2500 seeds. while the first is 2 weeks. staking preparation has started today for the first set. fertilizer has been applied on the first set. weeds are growing very fast. just noticed deers foot prints. have eaten abt 30 cukes. doing a deer spray to repel them. my biggest issue. hope am on track sir. have also applied insecticide and fungicide on the first set. will apply on the later set after the rain today.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 14, 2018
Emmafly:

thank you Sir. I have sent a message on telegram.
I am just managing a garden of 1 acre with about 200 grams seed averaging 5k seedlings above in first pilot. though things are happening very fast but I am really trying my best with a team of 2 staff at the moment. the last seeds planted is now 5 days abt 2500 seeds. while the first is 2 weeks. staking preparation has started today for the first set. fertilizer has been applied on the first set. weeds are growing very fast. just noticed deers foot prints. have eaten abt 30 cukes. doing a deer spray to repel them. my biggest issue. hope am on track sir. have also applied insecticide and fungicide on the first set. will apply on the later set after the rain today.

Received. Deer? Deer repellant spray. Wish you can talk more about that. 2 staff member to manage 1 acre cucumber farm. You may need casual workers. It is obvious how you prepared your soil is poor. You need to manage pest and diseases well.

Well, i will see what we can do, but I do not like doing this kind of task. I prefer to monitor from soil preparation to first harvest, and I leave you with the rest.

I do not just spray. I have special nutrients I use.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by yeman1(m): 5:43pm On May 14, 2018
oladitan2000:
Can youJASsupplyoDXthis: App Developers Needed For A Project
Please visitKW8the linkWcCin the imageo9Fbelow.
hq2gYg eyeview qGhBx0 eniorisha uupgFt yeman1 9OGisj fluentinfor 2yfHUs nannyo

I am. not an app developer. thanks
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Emmafly(m): 8:31pm On May 17, 2018
fluentinfor:

Received. Deer? Deer repellant spray. Wish you can talk more about that. 2 staff member to manage 1 acre cucumber farm. You may need casual workers. It is obvious how you prepared your soil is poor. You need to manage pest and diseases well.

Well, i will see what we can do, but I do not like doing this kind of task. I prefer to monitor from soil preparation to first harvest, and I leave you with the rest.

I do not just spray. I have special nutrients I use.
you r right sir. soil preparation was poor. i will update pictures soon. very busy on the farm.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 19, 2018
I'm surprised many people are going into cucumber farming. And it is interesting that 90% of new messages I received recently are planning to cultivate cucumber.

Truly, this is the time cucumber price is going to start moving up. My spirit was lifted up because I wasn't reading from farmers who want to use N50,000 to cultivate 1 acre. Some of them have set aside N1 million naira for setting up 1 acre. Quite a reasonable start up amount. What I did was to go through their figures, and I advise them on how to go about it. Also, I cultured microbes for those who want it, and sent them some nutrients I know they are going to find hard to get. For those that really want to farm like a modern veggie guy, I congratulate you all.

I pray my readers have bountiful harvest.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by stocklot(m): 8:50am On May 20, 2018
The farmers must be nuts to spend 1 million on an acre of cucumber farm . 100% sure the farmer cannot recover the investment .

fluentinfor:
I'm surprised many people are going into cucumber farming. And it is interesting that 90% of new messages I received recently are planning to cultivate cucumber.

Truly, this is the time cucumber price is going to start moving up. My spirit was lifted up because I wasn't reading from farmers who want to use N50,000 to cultivate 1 acre. Some of them have set aside N1 million naira for setting up 1 acre. Quite a reasonable start up amount. What I did was to go through their figures, and I advise them on how to go about it. Also, I cultured microbes for those who want it, and sent them some nutrients I know they are going to find hard to get. For those that really want to farm like a modern veggie guy, I congratulate you all.

I pray my readers have bountiful harvest.
Re: Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 9:30am On May 20, 2018
stocklot:
The farmers must be nuts to spend 1 million on an acre of cucumber farm . 100% sure the farmer cannot recover the investment .

I guess you did not understand the post well. It is the start- up cost for their farm. Perhaps, you are more concerned about low set up and high operational cost of production, but they walk through the process with me. They realised that reasonable start up cost and low operational cost is far more rewarding. Even you choose the former, I do not think you are "nut".

1 million naira is just $2,700. Are you saying it is too much to set up 1 acre farm? Borehole, generator, land clearing, drip system, mulch, etc. Is it not the same business we are doing with farmers in north America? Tell a farmer there you are using $2,700 to set up 1 acre farm, and he will tell you how cheap it is. But we want to have 7 to 10 fruits per vine. Hmmmm!

Maybe you do not understand the post again. I have broken it down for you again. Personally, I can have a start up cost of N15 million on just one acre, and I may decide to start with cucumber. You do not need to say anyone is "nut". What you need to do is ask politely what the person is trying to achieve, maybe, you can learn from it. And if you are lucky, the fellow might tell you.

Like i have written earlier, I am not around to argue with anyone. Those who have been to farms understand certain things. I am sure you will understand more with this post.

How do I tell a 70- year old widow to handle Togo/Hausa/Benue/Cotonou boys on her cucumber farm? Gush! Cucumber itself is hard work. I do not do it so big like other crops these days. But I am amazed the number of people who are going into it. And seriously, 60% of the work are land tilling and trellies installation which are not hard if we use the right equipment. But most farmers improvise with bamboo and rope. Chai! Too much work! Too much suffering on farm. Back ache! Honestly, improvisation is suffering almost all the time. What if I give you the real way of doing cucumber, then what adjective would you have used? Crazy, mad, idiot, foolish, stupid, lol grin And going round 10,000 plants side dressing granules fertlizer every 7 to 10 days is suffering and smiling. grin But most do not agree with me. Their response is: i have workers. And I feel, they are not "nut". But I know that they are under producing.

My advice: try to search things deeply. I learned more from stupid people. Why? Stupid people just do not know how to explain, or implement ideas. But trust me, they are always with the fastest approach and best improvisation techniques. This is a top secret. Learn to engage foolish people in decent conversations and you will be full of knowledge. At the end, you might call yourself foolish too. grin

Finally, I build businesses and not just farms. I am more of long term than "sharp-sharp" things. The question is: when do you break through? How long can your business last?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Market And Marketing: The Farmers Headache / Nairaland's No.1 Rice Producer. 1,000 bags of rice. From now to March 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.