Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin (11383 Views)

Lizard Scare In Unilorin : Students And Lecturers Run For Their Lives / Big Cobra Killed In Unilorin’s Female Hostel, After Months Of Cohabitation / Evans, JAMB Snake & Jacob Zuma Featured In UNILORIN's Criminology Exam Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Tourshaw: 9:48am On Mar 29, 2018
Barely some days ago, an article surfaced online, particularly on Nairaland about the prolonged semester which the writer termed as incompetence and an act of negligence on the part of the school administration. When I read the article, I was completely disappointed because the writer was sheerly inconclusive in his judgement and raised issues that are even not associated with the topic of his discussion.

The article, I expected should criticize the university management constructively and reveal the foul plays he felt were the reasons for this unusual prolong of a semester in the university. The article sounds really weird to the extent one would say the writer is only a saboteur who is not pleased with the smooth running of the calendar in the school or just an embryo blogger who is hungry of traffic.

Yes! I am a student in the university but I refused to be blindfolded by the inconclusive conclusions in the article. And after thorough research, I found 10 things which I think are strongly connected to the unusual holdup in the semester.

1. 7-month: the current semester which is the first semester is now unusually seven month old from September. The semester is normally supposed to have ended late January and or early February.

2. Change of leadership: The University just changed its leadership and the new vice chancellor, Prof Suleiman Abdulkareem Age was inaugurated on October 15, 2017. Of course, having a new leader may bring about introduction of new things into the systems during transition. This can also be associated with the delay in the semester activities.

3. School calendar design: in all its versions and revisions, the university usually designs an academic calendar for a current and a subsequent session. This implies that if for instances, as we are in 2017/2018 session now, the academic calendar for the session is the concluding of the previous session, the full activities of the current session and the beginning of the next session. This is to tell you that the university really has a distinct academic plan.

4. Admission delay: Unlike what happens where institutions are the ones that give admission to students; this is not the case again. JAMB now does that through their CAPS, Central Admission Processing Scheme. The admission was delayed to the extent that till January the university is still admitting new students through JAMB. Now, should the school now disregard the new students and take to its academic calendar? No! They put the new students and injured their calendar causing the extension of the calendar.

5. School fees extension: another thing that really led to this prolonged semester is also the leniency on the part of the students. Every time on class pages, the students union under the leadership of Mr Adebisi Ridwan always begged the university to extend the deadline times without number. Deadlines upon deadlines and extensions upon extensions to the extent that the payment which was supposed to end in December ended in February just because the school wanted to be lenient to the students. How was that the fault of the university?

6. Examination date extension: When the examination timetables for different faculties were released, the uproar of students about the inconveniences of students about them reached the school management through the union again. And because the school has an authority that listens and considers its students, it shifted it a little to make it convenient for students.

7. NASU strike: the non academic staff union of the university commenced an indefinite industrial action since 4th December 2018 and it just ended a week or two ago. During the period of the strike action, the academic staffs of the school were saddled with hectic responsibilities in order to cover up the absence of the non academic staff. This was also one of the reasons for the injured calendar.

8. JAMB exam: The provisional timetable of 100L and 200L students for exam would have started immediately but it had to be postponed because of JAMB exam that was scheduled to hold in the school. This also contributed to the injuries of the timetable.

9. Skill acquisition: This course which is usually offered in 300L first semester was redefined to be more practical oriented by asking the students to go for various training outside of their various courses of study. The vocational training was time-consuming and that was why the date its exam was also extended.

10. Miscellaneous: There are a good number of reasonable situations and scenarios that can actually lead to this type of problem even apart from the aforementioned ones.

Having read this, you will agree that there is no way all these will happen to an institution in a single semester and it won’t affect its calendar. The truth of the matter is there is no way you will stay outside and judge the inside fairly. If you don’t know a thing about something, it is better not to write anything about it. Unilorin still maintains the uninterrupted calendar it is always known for.

Source:
http://www.seetopten.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-prolonged-first-semester-in-unilorin/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by christejames(m): 10:12am On Mar 29, 2018
The rejoinder ended up corroborating the initial post. Your points are not that heavy to lead to such prolongation...

8 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Dapromzy333(m): 10:12am On Mar 29, 2018
OK.. angryOK..
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by HeWrites(m): 10:14am On Mar 29, 2018
Advanced Secondary School

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Sabadon(m): 10:14am On Mar 29, 2018
uniilorin used to b d fastest I pray dey maintain it
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 29, 2018
gcitxutxutciycv. Tycho xdtxr ctccx
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by superior1: 10:15am On Mar 29, 2018
It all boils down to Nepotism, when leaders (VCs) are selected based on religion, tribe etc and not merit, the result is what is now obtainable in Unilorin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by kushma(m): 10:16am On Mar 29, 2018
Absu naa eight months here ooo. Some People still have exams till April.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by HigherEd: 10:18am On Mar 29, 2018
All excuses emanating from inefficiency and nonchalance. People should not use jamb as an excuse. Did Covenant, Kwasu not do jamb? How come Kwasu matriculated 100level students of 2017/2018 session in november 2017. How come covenant matriculated students at October 2017. Is it not the same jamb regulation that governs Kwasu that governs Unilorin

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by skales67(m): 10:21am On Mar 29, 2018
HeWrites:
Advanced Secondary School

I tell you! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by jupiterz: 10:21am On Mar 29, 2018
register
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 29, 2018
better by far indeed
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by mamapidgin: 10:25am On Mar 29, 2018
Better by far

For those of us who are alumni of the institution who finished more than 15yrs ago, The news we hear from outside about the institution on daily bases always make us proud

Unilorin grads are very unique in every spare of life you find them!!!

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by mu2sa2: 10:28am On Mar 29, 2018
Man- made problems that could have been avoided.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 29, 2018
Ok
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Jacktheripper: 10:34am On Mar 29, 2018
Earn more bitcoin via my signature
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by holuwamurewa(m): 11:24am On Mar 29, 2018
All na story I bloody hate unilorin at this point everything just stupid it's all down to poor planning finish!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Halivy(m): 12:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
HigherEd:
All excuses emanating from inefficiency and nonchalance. People should not use jamb as an excuse. Did Covenant, Kwasu not do jamb? How come Kwasu matriculated 100level students of 2017/2018 session in november 2017. How come covenant matriculated students at October 2017. Is it not the same jamb regulation that governs Kwasu that governs Unilorin
undecided
HigherEd:
Can't you read? The writer did not only use the new admission policy of Jamb as an excuse for delay as it was put among many other reasons. Moreover, you can't compare the large volume of students admitted by UNILORIN to that of Kwasu and Convenant

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by HigherEd: 1:16pm On Mar 29, 2018
Halivy:
undecided
Can't you read? The writer did not only use the new admission policy of Jamb as an excuse for delay as it was put among many other reasons. Moreover, you can't compare the large volume of students admitted by UNILORIN to that of Kwasu and Convenant

What has volume got to do with anything. All you need to do is tabulate(with system) all your candidates and use a system to rank them by jamb and post jamb score. Apply waec criterion and other senate approved criteria and you have your system generated list. But no corruption would not let that work. All I'm saying is jamb is not to blame for anything. About 7 universities matriculated last year and were able to sort out all their caps issues. The remaining excuses are simply vain.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by tobyemmanuel(m): 3:58pm On Mar 29, 2018
mamapidgin:
Better by far

For those of us who are alumni of the institution who finished more than 15yrs ago, The news we hear from outside about the institution on daily bases always make us proud

Unilorin grads are very unique in every [b] spare[\b] of life you find them!!!

You mean spare parts?
Unique indeed!
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Dsimple: 4:23pm On Mar 29, 2018
unilorin may be "better by far" but the school is far from reality Ajonbadi (2015)

only kwasu graduates or students can relate to this.

kwasu!!!!!!!
The world class university, the pace setter, the university for community development......

My Alma Mata
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Oyindaberry(f): 4:25pm On Mar 29, 2018
That doesn't mean that they won't still round off the session by June.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Dsimple: 4:33pm On Mar 29, 2018
Oyindaberry:
That doesn't mean that they won't still round off the session by June.

kwasu will round up by May, it is the only school in Nigeria that you will know your graduating day in your first day in school.
No ASUU strike, no SSANU strike, in fact, a four year course will be completed in 3 years 8 months, and most importantly, you will be mobilized for NYSC within weeks of graduation.
for example, I completed my degree in there in the month of May, convocation in June, NYSC in November
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 29, 2018
Sabadon:
uniilorin used to b d fastest I pray dey maintain it

No. It is was not the fastest. You should say among the school you know rather.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by erenax: 5:32pm On Mar 29, 2018
Tourshaw:
Barely some days ago, an article surfaced online, particularly on Nairaland about the prolonged semester which the writer termed as incompetence and an act of negligence on the part of the school administration. When I read the article, I was completely disappointed because the writer was sheerly inconclusive in his judgement and raised issues that are even not associated with the topic of his discussion.

The article, I expected should criticize the university management constructively and reveal the foul plays he felt were the reasons for this unusual prolong of a semester in the university. The article sounds really weird to the extent one would say the writer is only a saboteur who is not pleased with the smooth running of the calendar in the school or just an embryo blogger who is hungry of traffic.

Yes! I am a student in the university but I refused to be blindfolded by the inconclusive conclusions in the article. And after thorough research, I found 10 things which I think are strongly connected to the unusual holdup in the semester.

1. 7-month: the current semester which is the first semester is now unusually seven month old from September. The semester is normally supposed to have ended late January and or early February.

2. Change of leadership: The University just changed its leadership and the new vice chancellor, Prof Suleiman Abdulkareem Age was inaugurated on October 15, 2017. Of course, having a new leader may bring about introduction of new things into the systems during transition. This can also be associated with the delay in the semester activities.

3. School calendar design: in all its versions and revisions, the university usually designs an academic calendar for a current and a subsequent session. This implies that if for instances, as we are in 2017/2018 session now, the academic calendar for the session is the concluding of the previous session, the full activities of the current session and the beginning of the next session. This is to tell you that the university really has a distinct academic plan.

4. Admission delay: Unlike what happens where institutions are the ones that give admission to students; this is not the case again. JAMB now does that through their CAPS, Central Admission Processing Scheme. The admission was delayed to the extent that till January the university is still admitting new students through JAMB. Now, should the school now disregard the new students and take to its academic calendar? No! They put the new students and injured their calendar causing the extension of the calendar.

5. School fees extension: another thing that really led to this prolonged semester is also the leniency on the part of the students. Every time on class pages, the students union under the leadership of Mr Adebisi Ridwan always begged the university to extend the deadline times without number. Deadlines upon deadlines and extensions upon extensions to the extent that the payment which was supposed to end in December ended in February just because the school wanted to be lenient to the students. How was that the fault of the university?

6. Examination date extension: When the examination timetables for different faculties were released, the uproar of students about the inconveniences of students about them reached the school management through the union again. And because the school has an authority that listens and considers its students, it shifted it a little to make it convenient for students.

7. NASU strike: the non academic staff union of the university commenced an indefinite industrial action since 4th December 2018 and it just ended a week or two ago. During the period of the strike action, the academic staffs of the school were saddled with hectic responsibilities in order to cover up the absence of the non academic staff. This was also one of the reasons for the injured calendar.

8. JAMB exam: The provisional timetable of 100L and 200L students for exam would have started immediately but it had to be postponed because of JAMB exam that was scheduled to hold in the school. This also contributed to the injuries of the timetable.

9. Skill acquisition: This course which is usually offered in 300L first semester was redefined to be more practical oriented by asking the students to go for various training outside of their various courses of study. The vocational training was time-consuming and that was why the date its exam was also extended.

10. Miscellaneous: There are a good number of reasonable situations and scenarios that can actually lead to this type of problem even apart from the aforementioned ones.

Having read this, you will agree that there is no way all these will happen to an institution in a single semester and it won’t affect its calendar. The truth of the matter is there is no way you will stay outside and judge the inside fairly. If you don’t know a thing about something, it is better not to write anything about it. Unilorin still maintains the uninterrupted calendar it is always known for.

Source:
http://www.seetopten.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-prolonged-first-semester-in-unilorin/

I thought unilorin don't do strike
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Hardeybohwarley(m): 5:35pm On Mar 29, 2018
Dsimple:

kwasu will round up by May, it is the only school in Nigeria that you will know your graduating day in your first day in school.
No ASUU strike, no SSANU strike, in fact, a four year course will be completed in 3 years 8 months, and most importantly, you will be mobilized for NYSC within weeks of graduation.
for example, I completed my degree in there in the month of May, convocation in June, NYSC in November

Baba Unilorin does that too, I already filled 2018 as my graduation year when I was submitting my documents in 2015,so say another one. Because this year looks rough doesn't mean only KWASU holds the "Graduation Key".

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by CodeTemplar: 5:39pm On Mar 29, 2018
Halivy:
undecided

Since when has number of grads become a measure of quality? In fact number of grad goes with undergraduate population and with the poor facility/equipment huge number of student reduces learning standard among others. You argued against yourself.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Tourshaw: 7:18pm On Mar 29, 2018
erenax:

I thought unilorin don't do strike

Yes, for more than 15 years now, the University has been on an uninterrupted academic calendar.
Re: 10 Things You Need To Know About The Prolonged First Semester In Unilorin by Tourshaw: 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2018
KWASU students saying the school is better than Unilorin with these comments is a clear indication of the wrong configuration of their mentality. The only thing the students brags is the speed. Lol.... KWASU is not even close to Unilorin in anything.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ganduje Employs Dahuru Abdulhamid Idris, Blind Teacher / Help -the Nigeria Police And ASCON / UNIBEN Matriculates 12,241 Students Out Of 50,555 For 2020/21 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.