Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,800 members, 7,806,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Python ....what Does Biopython Entails - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python ....what Does Biopython Entails (1073 Views)

Pls What Does It Entails in developing Crypto Exchange Platform / Node VS Python - What's the Best Backend Tech for Beginner & Intermediate Devs? / What Does It Entail To Be A Back-end Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by amulet: 9:49am On Mar 31, 2018
Good day Beautiful people, i am a web developer, who is well conversant with php, laravel,wordpress, mysql, html, css, bootstrap and javascript. Now i am about to venture into python most especially biopython but first of all i would like to really understand what biopython is all about?
Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by Snwokenk: 2:24pm On Mar 31, 2018
according to Biopython.org website:
Introduction
Biopython is a set of freely available tools for biological computation written in Python by an international team of developers.
Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by 4kings: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2018
amulet:
Good day Beautiful people, i am a web developer, who is well conversant with php, laravel,wordpress, mysql, html, css, bootstrap and javascript. Now i am about to venture into python most especially biopython but first of all i would like to really understand what biopython is all about?
It's about BioInformatics using python.
Though not every Bioinformatics research can be carried out with that library but it will give you a good start if you choose that.

Are you a student of Bioinformatics or do you work/study in a related field?
Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by amulet: 4:29pm On Mar 31, 2018
About to venture into similar field ....thanks for the reply
Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by amulet: 4:35pm On Mar 31, 2018
So with biopython one can begin to write algorithms right
Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by 4kings: 4:56pm On Mar 31, 2018
amulet:
So with biopython one can begin to write algorithms right
Hmm, it depends on what algorithm you talking about.
I haven't used biopython library before.

Last year i worked on a gene expression data for Plasmodium Falciparum(Malaria) network in Covenant University Bioinformatics research lab. Basically writing an algorithm to determine a specific relationship between species, products and reactants(Metabolic reactions), in order to identify "weak genes" for a further testing in the lab.

You could PM me and i would send you the dataset.

So for this data i just used pure python to figure the weak genes based on a tree search algorithm.

Another was comparing Plasmodium Falciparum and Human gene expression to determine degree of interaction based on clustering algoirthms(machine learning)

So depending on what you want to figure out from the data you could use different appraoches(tree search algorithms, machine learning and so on) which might not need BioPython, especially with the popular Cancer prediction dataset and biological datasets online.

From what i understand Biopython can be used for studying gene sequences and other intricate properties of different biological data most of which i have not done before so i can't really help you out as much.

It can also be used for reading specific biological data format which is also cool, mine was a markup file(SBML) so i extracted details i needed with normal python code, which thinking of it now Biopython would probably have made it smoother and the visualisation of result was done using Monalisa software(also used for biological data and supports SBML).

Do share your perfomance with us here, i'm also interested in Bioinformatics. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Python ....what Does Biopython Entails by wane01(m): 10:31pm On Mar 31, 2018
your skill set shows you're a web developer and you don't have much knowledge about the python language ....
I think you first need to state what you want to do with Biopython and you're also gonna need some extra knowledge of datasets and co

(1) (Reply)

Intermediate Fullstack Developer (N150,000-N250,000) Lagos / Envato Free Source Codes / Job Offer Available With Reasonable Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.