Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

The 1st Emir In Yorubaland Was A Coup - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 1st Emir In Yorubaland Was A Coup (491 Views)

PHOTOS: Chinese Rail Engineer, Kong Tao Becomes Emir In Nigeria / Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan: I Am The Leader Of All Obas In Yorubaland / How Can These People Stop This Boy From Becoming Emir In Iwoland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 1st Emir In Yorubaland Was A Coup by azeez4islam(m): 5:32am On Apr 02, 2018
According to a history of Afonja (in Ilorin) that I read and saw the movie many years ago. There was a local war preparation between the Afonja and another neighbouring village, the warrior wants to conquer the other by all means that he hire northerner mercenaries to fight his own tribe. He hired them and they triumph in the battle, they sang song-of-victory back home, upon reaching the aafin, the hired warriors seiged the aafin (palace), ousted the oba and installed their own person afterall they were the ones who won the war.

It was a coup, they took over power with strenght, the Yorubas, scared and unwillingly submitted to the powerful soilders and warrior. That was how we have the first Emir in the Yoruba culture. (I stand to be corrected on this history)

Now, these recent Obas that changed to 'turban' for EMIRs as against our own 'ADE' for OBAs willingly, befuddled me because it has a bad history and it seems they (the oba) are mixing their Islam with our own culture and if this pace continues, there would be confusion for the next generation.

Or could it be Politics and not religion as perceived, the southWest obaship is more or less a mere title now, many weigh little or no power, some of their immediate subjects don't even regard them by according the expected homage to the Obas, this is saddening, it wasn't like that in the past.

From the controversial book of 'Awujale of Ijebu', I read that when Babangida wanted to Annul the 1994 election of M.K.O Abiola, it was the Kings that were soughted, at that period the Awujale was away in oversea, a private carrier was sent by government to bring him home. That is to imply that their seat were highly respected that he was sent for. The kings were told of the decision to Annul the election before Babaginda went to media

Another book to buttress how our kings used to be important is MY WATCH by Obasanjo: I learnt from the book that when he (Obasanjo) was transferred to the southWest from North as the Military Commander a popular resistance-group to the government back then the AGBEKOYAs (farmer resist oppression) was becoming so strong and giving the state govt serious trouble, it was a Yoruba Oba that was consulted and he tactically helped the Nigerian Army solve the issue.

Now, this era, The kings are not included in decision making or at least sought for their input and opinion on delicate matters, rather they are invited to social gatherings and parties.

Personally, I hate the fact that the Kings are under the governor of their states, that means if a 35 year old becomes governor, he decides for our old-aged kings, he installs and upgrade whoever he deem fit, just like governor Ahmed of Kwara state upgraded his small village king to 1st-Class status.

Our heritage is sweet! Our Lineage should be preserved!
How can we reclaim the lost glory of our kings? Is it even possible at all!

(1) (Reply)

Dna Tests In Nigeria !!! / Nwafor Orizu: Crook, Convict Turned Senate President / White Wedding, Is It Compulsory In Isoko?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.