Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,536 members, 7,801,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience (30864 Views)

Black Friday At Shoprite: Nigerians Struggle To Buy Goods / This Nigerian Man And His Friends Slept At Shoprite In Lagos / Coldstone Creamery Is Trying To Cover Up A Theft At Their Lekki Outlet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2018
Elparaiso:

So he should accept that he will be cheated?

Nigeria is a country where crooks are defended and people who call out thieves are shouted down

3 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Bamz(m): 5:17pm On Apr 11, 2018
zicoraads:
Lol.

Most times, I don't even check my invoice. Although OP is not wrong to have insisted on the right thing. To each his own.

I love your comment. Very balanced view.

2 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by runsgirl: 5:18pm On Apr 11, 2018
Seems some people here are in support of the cashier by saying the OP should have overlooked.

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by maasoap(m): 5:18pm On Apr 11, 2018
slex:
Dear poster, a lot of us know this but we choose to ignore or dash the change. Uber riders do this the most.

but all the same how much be the change you wan collect sef.

folakemigeh:

Truly she's wrong by not admitting that she owes you a change and she doesn't have it

Guys like you will go through the list of the food items one by one and ask for correct change from Wifey[/b]

hayjayman:
Guy, you Bleep up... So you can exhibit the "keep-the-change" while you shop in a mall.. That you had to take time to post this and discourage people willing to give..... Na wa for u.... The fact is most people know about the issue, but just ignore... It's everywhere even in Mcdonalds

You all missed one thing in this case: honesty.
It should be like this: Oga your change remains N77 but we don't have smaller denominations. Then, let the customer decides what he wants to do with that change.

5 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2018
slex:
Dear poster, a lot of us know this but we choose to ignore or dash the change. Uber riders do this the most.

I don't want to call you stingy but there some amounts not worth the stress. I can buy fuel of #5000 and the meter reads #5009 so are you saying I should now be yabbed or stopped by the pump attendant because of #9?

In your own case the shoprite person would have just told you #2150 instead of #2200 but all the same how much be the change you wan collect sef.

Stingy? What does that mean?
She tried to suppress N73. Will Shoprite allow me pay N427 for a item going for N500? but they are not stingy?
Did the shop attendant tell the shopper? No

This is not a matter of leaving change, this bare-faced STEALING!

Fuel attendants under dispense, we accept it
Passengers don't want to pay conductors
conductors don't want to give change to passengers

Corrupt country from head to toe

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by slex(m): 5:24pm On Apr 11, 2018
maasoap:

You all missed one thing in this case: honesty.
It should be like this: Oga your change remains N77 but we don't have smaller denominations. Then, let the customer decides what he wants to do with that change.

At all boss, I stated it earlier that a lot of us know this but choose to ignore. Someone like me most times once the cashier is doing her thing I will always look at her till once she says the amount payable. I just look at the amount showing Vs amount said by the cashier or attendant after all that's what the customer side of the display on the till is suppose to do for us.
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2018
runsgirl:
Seems some people here are in support of the cashier by saying the OP should have overlooked.

A lot of Nigerians see corruption only when politicians are involved
Shunting, cheating in exams, padding bills on official trips, suppressing receipts are all acceptable and admirable actions of sharp and smart people provided they are not politicians

You will see even threads where yahoo boys exchange ideas and give leads
Crooked country

5 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pos transaction. End of story.
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:29pm On Apr 11, 2018
slex:

At all boss, I stated it earlier that a lot of us know this but choose to ignore. Someone like me most times once the cashier is doing her thing I will always look at her till once she says the amount payable. I just look at the amount showing Vs amount said by the cashier or attendant after all that's what the customer side of the display on the till is suppose to do for us.

But did the attendant tender the change?
If we assume that the display on the customer side is supposed to tell the customer the exact amount, why did she not offer the change
because she knows a lot of the customers don't look at it
Infact a lot of them will say how much?

Honesty requires that the attendant should give the shopper his/her change

Afterall petrol attendants cheat us although we keep our eyes on the pump reading

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2018
oyb:
Pos transaction. End of story.

They will tell us "no network"
Or you are charged and the slip shows "transaction declined" and you now start following up with the bank for reversal of the debit
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2018
hayjayman:
Guy, you Bleep up... So you can exhibit the "keep-the-change" while you shop in a mall.. That you had to take time to post this and discourage people willing to give..... Na wa for u.... The fact is most people know about the issue, but just ignore... It's everywhere even in Mcdonalds
the way you ignore 77 naira is how you ignore 777billion when the cashier becomes a politician

5 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2018
folakemigeh:
You should have told her softly or joking rather than rushing back with a fiery and frowning face asking for your 73 Naira as if thats the end of the world.

she shud have made noise till the manager comes and fires her
from 73 naira she will graduate into armed robbery or worse 77billion looting as a politician

Truly she's wrong by not admitting that she owes you a change and she doesn't have it

Guys like you will go through the list of the food items one by one and ask for correct change from Wifey
a fool and his money are soon parted

3 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:34pm On Apr 11, 2018
zicoraads:
Lol.

Most times, I don't even check my invoice. Although OP is not wrong to have insisted on the right thing. To each his own.
too much money
abeg come dash me moni
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by ifyalways(f): 5:34pm On Apr 11, 2018
Something similar happened to me @ Sandton mall, SA, early this year. A hand bag I neither saw, touched nor carried was added to my bill, checked out and I paid. Noticed at the shop door, went right back in and the girl claimed it was a mistake. I got my refund and lots of apologies.

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 11, 2018
BetaThings:

They will tell us "no network"
Or you are charged and the slip shows "transaction declined" and you now start following up with the bank for reversal of the debit

I do POS transactions all the time at shoprite with no issues
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by reservd(m): 5:39pm On Apr 11, 2018
folakemigeh:
You should have told her softly or joking rather than rushing back with a fiery and frowning face asking for your 73 Naira as if thats the end of the world.

Guys like you will go through the list of the food items one by one and ask for correct change from Wifey
Its peeps like u dt wl price items to d minimal frm poor petty traders but wil go to supermarkets and do bigboy

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pusyiter:
MY DEAR! eh APO to me is the worst. Everytime I go there, they will never have change. And the ladies would be smiling nonsense smile at you and giving you a blinked eye as if I careless?
The next time I go there, I will show dem my colour embarassed
What color ? Green or red
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2018
thoollz:

Hmm
Was there a refund? It isn't just shoprite, it happens everywhere. Na God go save us. Govt dey scam, our fellow people dey scam us too.
God will not save you if you don't speak up

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2018
mikolo80:

she shud have made noise till the manager comes and fires her
from 73 naira she will graduate into armed robbery or worse 77billion looting as a politician
a fool and his money are soon parted

Minimum wage is N18k
N73 from 10 customers is N730 and from 100 is N7,300.
They will lynch in Oshodi for less than that

Let us assume that she makes N2,000 daily from this which is from 100 customers fleeced of N20
In 10 days, she has made more than the minimum wage

And we say the country is corrupt
BTW - this is a variant of salami technique

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-salami-technique/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:45pm On Apr 11, 2018
phemmyfour:
Stingy guy....how much is N73
abeg come dash me 73 naira
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Pusyiter(m): 5:46pm On Apr 11, 2018
RED of course. LIVERPOOL FOR LIFE!! lol
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
What color ? Green or red
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by domwas2(m): 5:46pm On Apr 11, 2018
Some people don't care about it because it's nothing to them but the staffs forgets that for some even N20 is a mountain and can make a difference taking okada back home.

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
BetaThings:

Minimum wage is N18k
N73 from 10 customers is N730 and from 100 is N7,300.
They will lynch in Oshodi for less than that

Let us assume that she makes N2,000 daily from this which is from 100 customers fleeced of N20
In 10 days, she has made more than the minimum wage

And we say the country is corrupt
BTW - this is a variant of salami technique

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-salami-technique/
i know
it is the supporters you shud be mentionoing
cos now i know why we keep electing bad leaders with all these low iq individuals voting
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by reservd(m): 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
[quote author=zeestone99 post=66623506]

U v spoken well, and I love the example you used, I'm very sure he can't count the many excesses fuel attendant dashed him... Life is give and take, you win some you lose some. [/quot
So u beliv say those fuel station dispensing machines dey dispense correctly, u tink dem no Knw wetin dem dey do?
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:49pm On Apr 11, 2018
oyb:

I do POS transactions all the time at shoprite with no issues

Sorry Oyb, I don't do Shoprite
I hate them - they are just taking business away from our people. I have not seeb the value added by them
The bread from the bakery near me is far better than their oil-soaked bread

I am talking about the regular supermarkets in my neighborhood
Even petrol stations often have network issues - it is easy to pay exact amount with POS and not give anything
The petrol attendants don't like that
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Skepticus: 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2018
FortifiedCity:
angry

It might have been a genuine mistake. I don't think posting the pics and the company is right at this point until you experience it for the second time.

You just fired the attendant for this

I don't think it was a mistake.

I experienced the same at Shop Rite branch of Ota, Ogun State.

I payed 1700 for a bill of 1550.

The OP did the needful

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2018
mikolo80:
i know
it is the supporters you shud be mentionoing
cos now i know why we keep electing bad leaders with all these low iq individuals voting

I am buttressing your point
We are squarely on the same page

The way our youths reason is baffling

2 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pusyiter:
RED of course. LIVERPOOL FOR LIFE!! lol
Error
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by slex(m): 5:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
BetaThings:

Stingy? What does that mean?
She tried to suppress N73. Will Shoprite allow me pay N427 for a item going for N500? but they are not stingy?
Did the shop attendant tell the shopper? No

This is not a matter of leaving change, this bare-faced STEALING!

Fuel attendants under dispense, we accept it
Passengers don't want to pay conductors
conductors don't want to give change to passengers

Corrupt country from head to toe

No problem. I agree with you but also try to see it from your view. Boss of course shoprite won't allow you under pay because it's in not in the hands of the cashier to allow you under pay. It's shoprite but yet again we come back to what I said from the first page. We all know this but some of us choose to ignore. The word is CHOICE like the op chose NOT to ignore by creating a thread on NL.
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mikolo80: 5:53pm On Apr 11, 2018
cyberdurable:

Tip fire.... Oga over sabi is bad esp here in Nigeria...u and I knows that those workers are paid peanuts, and they used those small money at least for tfare and lunch.. Something's are left unsaid or beta ignored.. But OP even have to report back to form good Nigerian... Run a check on him.. He is one corrupt worker at workplace
if the salary is not enough they shud leave the work and enter farm
even bankers do it
abi they too are on minimum wage
a thief i a thief
until they graduate to plucking children eyes for money ritual bfor you take it serious abi
get money by any means necessary abi

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Acidosis(m): 5:54pm On Apr 11, 2018
hayjayman:

You are Nigeria's greatest problem.

2 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by slex(m): 5:54pm On Apr 11, 2018
The purpose of this thread was to sensitise the general public and I'm glad a lot of people have noticed this trend of 'change grabbing' for a while even for years so I conclude this thread has served its purpose.

Thank you poster
Thank you commentators lol.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan / How Much Is Petrol Selling For In Your Area? / Bill Gates Dab In New Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.