Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,574 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience (30881 Views)

Black Friday At Shoprite: Nigerians Struggle To Buy Goods / This Nigerian Man And His Friends Slept At Shoprite In Lagos / Coldstone Creamery Is Trying To Cover Up A Theft At Their Lekki Outlet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by mattiecute(f): 9:09pm On Apr 11, 2018
folakemigeh:
You should have told her softly or joking rather than rushing back with a fiery and frowning face asking for your 73 Naira as if thats the end of the world.

Truly she's wrong by not admitting that she owes you a change and she doesn't have it

Guys like you will go through the list of the food items one by one and ask for correct change from Wifey
E tire me oo
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by stagger: 9:16pm On Apr 11, 2018
phemmyfour:
Stingy guy....how much is N73

Stp encouraging theft. In Shoprite Osu-Accra, they always give change to the last pesewa.Stealing is just in our culture and people like you are helping to promote it. Let the attendant give the correct change and allow the customer to either let it go or take it, not to inflate the costs to pilfer from customers.

Stop it!

5 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by hayjayman(m): 9:19pm On Apr 11, 2018
afrikanns:

You. must be a dim wit for supporting that robbery attitude of her/ him. Bird of the feather. shame

Woe betide you!! You think you can just pick up anybody online and practise your choice of words on such persons?!! Can you see me one on one and call me a dimwit, and I won't smash your head with a Coca-Cola bottle?!!... Where in my post did I support her..? . Olodo,... That's why dey fail waec at first attempt.. Omo neco
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by bejeria101(m): 9:21pm On Apr 11, 2018
cchiagom:

I also experienced ​it at shoprite Apo, Abuja
Same here! I Don dey suspect that place.

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by ifyalways(f): 9:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
Afam4eva:

Their stealing for SA no get mate. I was transiting through Oliver Tambo enroute Mauritius and i as i rode the escalator downstairs, a black airport worker squeezed through and i wondered where he was hurrying to that he couldnt just wait for the escalator to take him down. It was when they called my flight that i started looking for my phone inside my boxers and where i did not keep it. That guy fapped by phone in a very professional manner,
Black south Africans I fear like boko boys although most times its the Zimbs. I escaped a life threatening situation in the hands of them boys once, those ones that play drums and dance at traffic lights. Fortunately, my daughter is done schooling there and I have no reason to near SA again.

Ajo obodo.

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by cchiagom(f): 10:51pm On Apr 11, 2018
Pusyiter:
MY DEAR! eh APO to me is the worst. Everytime I go there, they will never have change. And the ladies would be smiling nonsense smile at you and giving you a blinked eye as if I careless?
The next time I go there, I will show dem my colour embarassed

You can check out H-medix I just switched over to them
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by DSDLIVEREPORT: 11:12pm On Apr 11, 2018
hayjayman:
Guy, you Bleep up... So you can exhibit the "keep-the-change" while you shop in a mall.. That you had to take time to post this and discourage people willing to give..... Na wa for u.... The fact is most people know about the issue, but just ignore... It's everywhere even in Mcdonalds

Stealing is Stealing either by trick or overtly. U don't help youths build their great future when u help them into culture like your analysis.
Ohun ti ko da o da

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Sagay212: 11:26pm On Apr 11, 2018
oyetpel:

You lack sense, e be like say that's your sister dey thief for her checkout point.

Olodo...go and learn how to put simple words together to form sentences. Bush boy...it's people like you that go to shoprite to buy 2 pieces of indomie. iti!
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 1:29am On Apr 12, 2018
Tonimordred:
Dats d handwrk of poverty cos if u r dat rich u wnt go 2ru d invoice....blackman brain

Actually very very rich people go through such lists
Thew founder of IKEA used to fly first class
Warren Buffet has been living in the same house for decades
By your definition, they must be poor!

3 Likes

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 1:38am On Apr 12, 2018
LUCKIE2014:

Confrontation in order to correct behavior is good, I am not disputing that in this scenario but what I find funny is coming to a social media platform to not just only talk about it, but shaming the individual and the company where the person works.

Talking about such experience shaping the mindset of the individual who is obviously an adult to go into a bigger theft is disputable because such individual's mindset at that age is already shaped, he/she is just waiting for a bigger opportunity to commit the bigger theft therefore no amount of confrontation can effect such behavior

Public shaming, which you discourage, should serve as a deterrent to such mindset
Nigerians are usually more unruly in Nigeria than in other countries because they know they will not get away with such conduct over there

LUCKIE2014:

If we are strongly determined to change the mindset of individuals in this country for the better, then whatsoever values or morals we want to instill, have to come from the position of political power whereby in government, you strategically make and enforce laws that will shape the family, educational and other aspect of the society to directly affect and change the mindset and behavior of the larger population.

I disagree. Political power cannot easily defeat mindset when everyone is already a crook or have resigned themselves to the idea that corruption cannot be tamed
Nigerians usually threaten to punish any candidate that introduces painful but necessary reforms prior to election
Wait till early next year, no party dare ENFORCE tax payment before the election

LUCKIE2014:

However, confronting one individual or individuals as you posited, amongst a majority of similar mindset individuals in a population of 198million amounts to just wasting your time, sweat and saliva. Best is to just shrug and walk away as long as it doesn't affect your pocket or esteem.

A lot of youths are on social media. We need to highlight such behaviour to ensure people are wise to it and the perpetrators live in fear of being embarrassed now and then by the occasional vocal shopper
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 1:41am On Apr 12, 2018
stagger:

Stp encouraging theft. In Shoprite Osu-Accra, they always give change to the last pesewa.Stealing is just in our culture and people like you are helping to promote it. Let the attendant give the correct change and allow the customer to either let it go or take it, not to inflate the costs to pilfer from customers.

Stop it!

QED
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by toprealman: 5:57am On Apr 12, 2018
folakemigeh:
You should have told her softly or joking rather than rushing back with a fiery and frowning face asking for your 73 Naira as if thats the end of the world.

Truly she's wrong by not admitting that she owes you a change and she doesn't have it

Guys like you will go through the list of the food items one by one and ask for correct change from Wifey
You must know a thing most people don't. But checking the list Sha...
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Ugosample(m): 7:01am On Apr 12, 2018
It's a general problem.
The world is full of dishonesty
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Ugosample(m): 7:05am On Apr 12, 2018
domchike:
Hve had simillar experience at shoprite ONITSHA
Those ones there are crimnals

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Ugosample(m): 7:11am On Apr 12, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

Even the security guards at Apo are in on the scope. All sorts of paroles at customers' expense.

Always insist on collecting the official Shoprite parking tags from them before you drive in for your shopping. They intentionally omit to give it out allowing you to go do your shopping only to raise issues and false accusations to came you on your way out.
Poverty is making people mad and desperate in Nigeria.

your last statement is true, but not an excuse.

*in fela's voice*
Poverty dey Africa kpa kpa ra pa

But the way Nigerians show desperation in comparison with the others is not normal
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Acidosis(m): 7:25am On Apr 12, 2018
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Pusyiter(m): 7:51am On Apr 12, 2018
I tried there once but the road network aint funny. No where to park
cchiagom:

You can check out H-medix I just switched over to them
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Pusyiter(m): 7:53am On Apr 12, 2018
Thank God you know........we go invade your pitch. Football no be maths, lets see
BetaThings:

Which Liverpool?
Bayern will drown you in a pool of blood from your own punctured liver

You will walk alone then

Let me drop out before Anfield mob maul me
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Pusyiter(m): 7:55am On Apr 12, 2018
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by hahn(m): 9:02am On Apr 12, 2018
folakemigeh:

Sister. WHat he bought was not even up to 5k o. See as him dey para

Poor people and their mentality though. I am sure this guy has never left a tip in his life
undecided

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 9:17am On Apr 12, 2018
hahn:

Poor people and their mentality though. I am sure this guy has never left a tip in his life
undecided

Poor people, poor people etc

Very rich people don't even mock the poor
Warren Buffet, Bill Gates etc still relate to the poor - infact they have compassion for them
In Nigeria, it is disdain, contempt etc that is shown by even people who might have got rich through ways

It is not compulsory to tip. He has the right to spend his hard-earned money the way he likes

1 Like

Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 9:21am On Apr 12, 2018
Pusyiter:
Thank God you know........we go invade your pitch. Football no be maths, lets see

The final will not be paid at Anfield
If you try what you did with Man City again, Kiev Police will show that SARS people are angels

On 26 May, you will walk alone ie without the trophy

I am even grating you a berth in the final - incidentally I am not BM fan. I just like what their coach has done this year
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by adolphus08(m): 9:23am On Apr 12, 2018
folakemigeh:

Its called being meticulous and avoiding wastage by whoever is providing the money
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by calddon(m): 10:08am On Apr 12, 2018
hahn:

undecided
So anytime i step into a mart i must spend 5k n above 4 ur likes to ascertain my status, sorry i cant stand on ur scale. Tips r not imposed.
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Pusyiter(m): 10:18am On Apr 12, 2018
Lets meet in the field of Play. I no fit shout cheesy
BetaThings:

The final will not be paid at Anfield
If you try what you did with Man City again, Kiev Police will show that SARS people are angels

On 26 May, you will walk alone ie without the trophy

I am even grating you a berth in the final - incidentally I am not BM fan. I just like what their coach has done this year
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 12, 2018
BetaThings:

Public shaming, which you discourage, should serve as a deterrent to such mindset
Nigerians are usually more unruly in Nigeria than in other countries because they know they will not get away with such conduct over there

I disagree. Political power cannot easily defeat mindset when everyone is already a crook or have resigned themselves to the idea that corruption cannot be tamed
Nigerians usually threaten to punish any candidate that introduces painful but necessary reforms prior to election
Wait till early next year, no party dare ENFORCE tax payment before the election

A lot of youths are on social media. We need to highlight such behaviour to ensure people are wise to it and the perpetrators live in fear of being embarrassed now and then by the occasional vocal shopper

"We need to highlight such behaviour to ensure people are wise to it and the perpetrators live in fear of being embarrassed now and then by the occasional vocal shopper".

The above quote is the same reason why a lot of people tends to secretly admonish and justify jungle justice, with the ideology that it creates fear in the hearts of subsequent crime perpetrators. But using external forces to subdue internal intentions is not as effective as allowing motivations to do what is right as against what is wrong to come internally. This is what separates the behavior of the majority in advanced society from those in the third world.

Society with the right values will always do better than those with the wrong ones and politics have been defined as the authoritative allocation of value - David Easton (1965).
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by hahn(m): 10:42am On Apr 12, 2018
calddon:

So anytime i step into a mart i must spend 5k n above 4 ur likes to ascertain my status, sorry i cant stand on ur scale. Tips r not imposed.

Lol

Scale removed
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by hahn(m): 10:43am On Apr 12, 2018
BetaThings:

Poor people, poor people etc

Very rich people don't even mock the poor
Warren Buffet, Bill Gates etc still relate to the poor - infact they have compassion for them
In Nigeria, it is disdain, contempt etc that is shown by even people who might have got rich through ways

It is not compulsory to tip. He has the right to spend his hard-earned money the way he likes

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates actually live in a country where it is not polite to leave without dropping a tip

Your argument is already off point undecided
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 11:07am On Apr 12, 2018
LUCKIE2014:

"We need to highlight such behaviour to ensure people are wise to it and the perpetrators live in fear of being embarrassed now and then by the occasional vocal shopper".

The above quote is the same reason why a lot of people tends to secretly admonish and justify jungle justice, with the ideology that it creates fear in the hearts of subsequent crime perpetrators. But using external forces to subdue internal intentions is not as effective as allowing motivations to do what is right as against what is wrong to come internally. This is what separates the behavior of the majority in advanced society from those in the third world.
Society with the right values will always do better than those with the wrong ones and politics have been defined as the authoritative allocation of value - David Easton (1965).

Jungle justice - straw man argument
Jungle justice does not even prove guilt
It also administers punishment through a mob action which apart from not allowing the accused to state his own side may even be fatal

Now the slip shows that the shop attendant is guilty - proved
She admitted what she did - guilt doubly proved
Shaming on social media allows the player to defend herself

Jungle justice and public shaming on social media are 2 different things sir

There is intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation
That is why some people are described as self starter while some need some push
We know one is stronger than the other but we don't say we will wait until a criminal becomes intrinsically motivated to abandon crime before we act
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by BetaThings: 6:08pm On Apr 12, 2018
hahn:

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates actually live in a country where it is not polite to leave without dropping a tip

Your argument is already off point undecided

I see, so because it is not customary to tip, he must be forced to do it?
Should it not be the case that refusing to tip is not strange

Your argument is strange

You have the right to support petty thieves who believe keeping somebody's change by not disclosing it is a right
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by cchiagom(f): 8:02pm On Apr 12, 2018
Pusyiter:
I tried there once but the road network aint funny. No where to park

Yes that's true, not as spacious as shoprite
Re: Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience by hahn(m): 8:29am On Apr 13, 2018
BetaThings:

I see, so because it is not customary to tip, he must be forced to do it?
Should it not be the case that refusing to tip is not strange

Your argument is strange

You have the right to support petty thieves who believe keeping somebody's change by not disclosing it is a right

Calm down. Everyone makes mistakes

I shop at shop rite too and I still have coins from the change I get from them

The op was obviously not patient

You claim to be fair but you are basing your conclusion on only one account of the event

Continue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shoprite To Open Another Store In Ibadan / Dangote Refinery: Bailing Out The Unbailable - Investment Or Bailout? / Bill Gates Dab In New Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.