Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,551 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:21 PM

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (34177 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 4:22pm On Apr 03, 2018
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

And I PAY MONTHLY FOR OUR BOREHOLE WATER oo

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by sirusX(m): 4:28pm On Apr 03, 2018
What was written in the agreement you signed before renting the apartment?

I believe that's the binding contract that determines who does that

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
What ^ he said.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 5:02pm On Apr 03, 2018
sirusX:
What was written in the agreement you signed before renting the apartment?

I believe that's the binding contract that determines who does that
I'll check it when I get home.

MODIFIED: Every flat pays 500 Naira each monthly . There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each), when I asked I was told the 500 Naira is for water maintenance so why then should I contribute 2,500 Naira again.

Note: we use post paid meter and we have regular electricity, in fact power goes off for just 30 mins in a week so the N500 is not for fueling any generator or for prepaid meter

4 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by chinebu(m): 5:18pm On Apr 03, 2018
Why not insist That Landlord must pay for your electricity bills aswell.
You are Even lucky theres borehole in the HOUSE where you live. What if theres none wont you source for Water elsewhere with your money probably. So why is it so jard for you to accept That its your responsibility to contribute abd fix the sumor used in pumping yhe Water That you always use in your flat. Shm things some Nigerians do. Tomorrow when you become Landlord and maybe collected 250000as rent in your flat then you will keep the money for repairing the tenants sumor and transformer and maybe their children school fees so That in the end you will use up all their rent in fixing utility bills for them and you go empty handed ok. I rest My case

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by prestige2013: 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2018
Who are those using the water? If the landlord stays in the same compound both should share the bill.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by creedencity(m): 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2018
if your landlord ain't living in d same compound with you, bro contribute, it's you people's usage that caused it, except it is otherwise stated in the agreement.
if u he is, he should also contribute.
my thought though

14 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by tolu4you: 6:02pm On Apr 03, 2018
Give me your bank account details so i can pay for you........ You better pay before your landlord give you quit notice.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by LKO(m): 6:18pm On Apr 03, 2018
rayblings:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

When your septic tank get filled tomorrow, you would also insist that the landlord should bear the cost of evacuation himself. Some tenants are troublesome. Assuming your landlord don't stay in the same compound with you, you would go drag him to come fix the water pump machine? I now see why it is fashionable these days not to share your premises with tenants. Build your small house and stay in peace, then build a house elsewhere to rent out and managed by agents to avoid tenants problem,

We bought a new water pump in my compound just last month and we the three tenants paid four thousand naira each while the landlord paid a slightly higher amount, there was no quarrel.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Okoyeebos: 6:58pm On Apr 03, 2018
rayblings:

You are to pay for repairing the damaged pumping machine.

If you can't pay, keep fetching water from the well or pack your load and leave the landlord's house.

26 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 03, 2018
rayblings:

see u shame to urself ...house build with millions ur chicken change rent

11 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by deafeyez: 8:13pm On Apr 03, 2018
rayblings:

Do you pay for the water? If yes, don't pay and or pay and the landlord should calculate the amount you paid to equivalent the month.

7 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 8:19pm On Apr 03, 2018
deafeyez:

Do you pay for the water? If yes, don't pay and or pay and the landlord should calculate the amount you paid to equivalent the month.
yes I pay for water every month.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 8:20pm On Apr 03, 2018
chinebu:
Why not insist That Landlord must pay for your electricity bills aswell.
You are Even lucky theres borehole in the HOUSE where you live. What if theres none wont you source for Water elsewhere with your money probably. So why is it so jard for you to accept That its your responsibility to contribute abd fix the sumor used in pumping yhe Water That you always use in your flat. Shm things some Nigerians do. Tomorrow when you become Landlord and maybe collected 250000as rent in your flat then you will keep the money for repairing the tenants sumor and transformer and maybe their children school fees so That in the end you will use up all their rent in fixing utility bills for them and you go empty handed ok. I rest My case
I pay monthly for our borehole water o. Lalasticlala what's ur view on this
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by STEKENT: 9:04pm On Apr 03, 2018
Why is it difficult for igbo people to develop people house. I will never rent my apartment to igbo. Oversabi and troublesome is the motto.

16 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by aieromon(m): 1:48am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
I pay monthly for our borehole water o.

This is strange. If you really pay to have access to water in your apartment,then it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix the water pump as it is now a money generating business venture.
I also assume that the landlord sells water to outsiders as well.

Any money you pay towards the repair should be deducted from future monthly payments.

22 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by chinebu(m): 6:54am On Apr 04, 2018
If you pay him monthly for the Water then dont contribute anything because he is supposed to fix it since he charges money for Water simple
rayblings:
I pay monthly for our borehole water o. Lalasticlala what's ur view on this

13 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by chinebu(m): 6:56am On Apr 04, 2018
Any Landlord That charges his tenants monthly for borehole in his building should repent henceforth. You need deliverance

8 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by yeddy99: 7:38am On Apr 04, 2018
if you pay for water on a monthly basis,then the landlord should fix it. he is providing a utility and you are paying for it.why then charge you for fixing it? when i was in kano,we do not pay for water but we all,including the landlord,pay to fix the pumping machine whenever it develops a fault.it is analogous to what happens with regards to electricity supply.you pay monthly bills to nepa and they fix faults that cause disruptions to your supply.

13 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by LKO(m): 8:29am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
yes I pay for water every month.

What you probably pay for monthly is not water bill but the money is meant to assist the Landlord to offset his electricity bills since in most cases the water pump machine is connected to the Landlord's flat. What many Landlord now do is to connect the water pump machine to all flats in the compound so every flat in the compound takes responsibility in pumping water on a weekly basis.

7 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 10:20am On Apr 04, 2018
aieromon:

This is strange. If you really pay to have access to water in your apartment,then it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix the borehole as it is now a money generating business venture.
I also assume that the landlord sells water to outsiders as well.

Any money you pay towards the repair should be deducted from future monthly payments.
funnily enough, he gives water to outsiders for free. His house is the most expensive in the area so people living in his house are considered rich hence we should should solely take care of the expenses

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by aieromon(m): 10:27am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
funnily enough, he gives water to outsiders for free. His house is the most expensive in the area so people living in his house are considered rich hence we should should solely take care of the expenses

How much do you pay monthly to have access to water?

Do you make use of prepaid meters in the compound?
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 10:40am On Apr 04, 2018
aieromon:

How much do you pay monthly to have access to water?

Do you make use of prepaid meters in the compound?
500 Naira per flat. There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each)

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by aieromon(m): 10:46am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
500 Naira per flat. There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each)

Your compound is an estate and the Landlord is operating a mini water board.

Have you guys ever asked what the monthly payment is even meant for? I guess the money is used to offset the electricity bills at the end of the month then.

6 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Victorakats(m): 10:47am On Apr 04, 2018
Landlord
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by MorataFC: 10:48am On Apr 04, 2018
Hmnnn
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ipobarecriminals: 10:48am On Apr 04, 2018
undecided all of una.Abi nah only him dey use am
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by mu2sa2: 10:48am On Apr 04, 2018
Okoyeebos:

You are to pay for repairing the damaged pumping machine.

If you can't pay, keep fetching water from the well or pack your load and leave the landlord's house.
Point blank answer.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by adekhingz(m): 10:49am On Apr 04, 2018
Take. Go and pay.

6 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 10:50am On Apr 04, 2018
aieromon:

Your compound is an estate and the Landlord is operating a mini water board.

Have you guys ever asked what the monthly payment is even meant for? I guess the money is used to offset the electricity bills at the end of the month then.
when I asked I was told its for maintenance so thats the reason why I do not want to pay the 2500 Naira

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by thundafire: 10:50am On Apr 04, 2018
Both if dey are all using the pump but if tenants use it alone dey got to fix it same as landlord

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Offpoint: 10:50am On Apr 04, 2018
Na landlord spoil am abi na una tenant spoil am? if you no contribute take repair am na dey landlord go suffer abi na una tenant? if landlord repair am come increase house rent you go come create another thread.

God give us common sense for a reaaon

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes Some Properties In Banana Island For Flouting Building Laws / 24 Escape Death As Two Buildings Collapse In Anambra (Photos) / 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.