Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC (18637 Views)

List Of NUC Accredited Courses In University Of Uyo / Son Of Nuc executive secretary Graduate From Uk Univeraity / Irresponsibility Of University Portal Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 5:49pm On Apr 03, 2018
Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of National Universities Commission

Covenant University today has become the epitome of religious oppression, mockery and is proof of how terrible the Nigerian educational space can get if not well regulated.

Today we witnessed possibly hundreds of the so called "Kings and Queens of Hebron" having their hair scrapped to humiliate and shame them for not bringing bibles to Church. Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.

It saddens me that an institution with so much potential to become one of Africa's best universities has decided to go this path of oppression and senselessness and the National Universities Commission is complicit in allowing this evil happen unchecked, by failing to protect the rights of Nigerian students or creating regulations preventing them from oppressing students.

The irresponsibility of NUC not only shows in their lack of desire to protect students of private universities but even students of public universities who have also been subjected to ridiculous treatments in their universities

As a nation we've failed our people in the public education system and we are equally failing our people in the private educational system. We've failed to check the educational activities of our religious organizations not minding the oppression and sometimes, indoctrination that happens silently in those organizations. We've made higher education an all comers affair without putting in regulations binding church or islamic universities from doing just as they like. I hope we would not wake up someday to realise an entire segment of the population of the country indoctrinated thanks to our nonchalance.

It is time for NUC to do better by creating a comprehensive guideline for Private universities which would prevent students from being forced to go to chapel or mosques, attend prayers or unofficial meetings and equally scrutinize the handbooks of all universities making sure it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of students.

For purpose of emphasis and clarity there is no section of Covenant University's handbook of 2013-2017 where it is written that students hair can be scrapped with an unsterilized equipment because students refused to bring bibles to church.

This is also a wakeup call to students of Covenant university to challenge Covenant over their non constitutional behavior in a federal high court over the public health risks they were subjected to by Covenant University. By HigherEd

Lalasticlala pls help move to fp

25 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by CodeTemplar: 5:52pm On Apr 03, 2018
How does shaving of hair relate to bible? I will wait for more info as this sound too good to be true.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 5:59pm On Apr 03, 2018
CodeTemplar:
How does shaving of hair relate to bible?
I will wait for more info as this sound too good to be true.
I have seen the video myself. This time around Covenant would be taught an important lesson. I know someone has forwarded the video to Webometrics, Times Higher and the international red cross and so they can exclude Covenant from subsequent rankings as protest for this kind of behavior. The President of Webometrics just confirmed an hour ago that he received such video though he recommended the students get "local authorities" involved.

Covenant offers excellent academic education but we must call out every nonsensical behaviour in the school.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SammieJayh(m): 7:44pm On Apr 03, 2018
On seeing this news today, I was indifferent at first.

But on a second thought, I feel this is wrong on a whole lot of levels. Out of 100+ students, a few will definitely have some form of hair infection or a transmittable disease(HIV, hepatitis, tinea captis, keloid, bumps), so this is bad health wise and I'm already scared of applying to CU because I won't take this under any circumstance.

But it all boils down to the lawless country we live in.
I remember my days in Nigerian Navy Secondary School and how the hair of defaulters were designed with scissors...I know for sure that my cousins still face the same insult in that school till now...(and yes, the school goes unchecked; because 'it's a military school'). This same unhealthy and ridiculous treatment still continues in so many schools all over Nigeria.

I stand with Covenant University, but not today...

14 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 8:11pm On Apr 03, 2018
SammieJayh:

But on a second thought, I feel this is wrong on a whole lot of levels. Out of 100+ students, a few will definitely have some form of hair infection or a transmittable disease(HIV, hepatitis, tinea captis, keloid, bumps), so this is bad health wise and I'm already scared of applying to CU because I won't take this under any circumstance.

I remember my days in Nigerian Navy Secondary School and how the hair of defaulters were designed with scissors...I know for sure that my cousins still face the same insult in that school till now...(and yes, the school goes unchecked; because 'it's a military school'). This same unhealthy and ridiculous treatment still continues in so many schools all over Nigeria.

Thank you. I'm sure they are already feeling the tweetstorm though.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 03, 2018
SammieJayh:

I'm convinced there are a lot of other inhumane acts being committed by the school every day but would never see the light of the day. Knowing this is because it affects a large number of the students' populace.

I think if CU would continue in this grand commando style, It needs to enforce a complete clamp down on social media access and activities by her students, else, CU may be sitting on a huge keg of gun powder.

There is actually no justification at all for this barbaric act.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 9:32pm On Apr 03, 2018
writerights:

I'm convinced there are a lot of other inhumane acts being committed by the school every day but would never see the light of the day. Knowing this is because it affects a large number of the students' populace.

I think if CU would continue in this grand commando style, It needs to enforce a complete clamp down on social media access and activities by her students, else, CU may be sitting on a huge keg of gun powder.

There is actually no justification at all for this barbaric act.
Let Dangote finish his school first then that keg of gunpowder would be like an IED. They should try clamping social media - do you think anyone would go? Because you would have to drag with chains to a university where social media is prohibited.

5 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SpoiltVirgin: 9:52pm On Apr 03, 2018
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 03, 2018
HigherEd:

Let Dangote finish his school first then that keg of gunpowder would be like an IED. They should try clamping social media - do you think anyone would go? Because you would have to drag with chains to a university where social media is prohibited.

This particular one got on your nerve HigherEd.

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by HigherEd: 1:26am On Apr 04, 2018
writerights:

This particular one got on your nerve HigherEd.
I just think that our brand of Christianity in Nigeria is very loveless and strange. And I am beginning to see and get tired of it myself.

The privileges and goodwill the early missionaries enjoyed due to their selflessness and love is being eroded today by several misdeeds of the Nigerian church. That lack of self regulation has put members constantly on defense either trying to defend the pastors, schools or the church as a whole.

I remembered how one of my friends who had to drop out of Covenant for academic reasons promised not to go to church again, since according to him all the services he has attended compulsorily in CU was going to compensate for a life of no more church. He left for Canada to continue schooling. But I doubt the guy has ever stepped into church ever since...

Covenant is not the first Christian school so they should calm down abeg. Yonsei is one of the three most reputable universities in South Korea and is a Christian university but the school focuses on sharing, community service and volunteering... How about CU starts focusing on love and tolerance too, because Christianity without love is unrecognizable.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Onechancearmy(m): 8:03am On Apr 04, 2018
grin
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Throwback: 8:05am On Apr 04, 2018
Is Nigeria still a republic?

Is there human rights in Nigeria?

Covenant University is a reflection of a broken system where those in authority do not know the limits of their power and the fundamental rights of the citizenry.

That a university will forcefully enforce a haircut as punishment for whatever offence, is the reason why Nigerians have never been raised to speak up against tyranny.

Covenant University has helped to raise a lot of stammerers in Nigeria, who are too scared, subdued and unable to demand to be treated with dignity by the authority.

A nation of people who bow before their oppressors - their fellow man.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Famocious(m): 8:05am On Apr 04, 2018
Nothing will happen to them..unfortunately

We are in a lawless country where certain individuals are simply above the law..

Imagine using unsterilized clipper to cut over hundreds of student's hair not minding if some of them get infected with blood borne viruses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by idrisolaide(m): 8:06am On Apr 04, 2018
Really ?

I kept on wondering what our Educational Sector is getting into.

Covenant University is far different from Winners Chapel, So religious sentiment is suppose to be put aside.

Also, after seeing the video and pictures, i am left with one question which is, Is there Any FORM of Hairstyle the school is mandating all its students to stick to?

1 Like

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kingreign(m): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:
This is not going anywhere. They did not force you to apply to Covenant University
I owe you a beer

8 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by ultron12345: 8:07am On Apr 04, 2018
The school has rules, and those rules should be obeyed. Anyone that isnt okay with those rules wasn't forced to apply.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:07am On Apr 04, 2018
Advanced secondary school everywhere undecided

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by SBG04: 8:08am On Apr 04, 2018
I don't think the NUC is responsible for setting moral or character standards in universities. Their responsibility is to set academic standards and curriculum standards. If any University is found to be abusing its students, such student should report to the board of the University or sue the school to court like its done in civilised countries. Leave the NUC alone to maintain academic standards.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 04, 2018
Too bad, very bad
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by chloedogie(m): 8:09am On Apr 04, 2018
The students that preferred covenant to other schools knew what they signed up for.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Turks: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2018
CU in hell.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by yomalex(m): 8:12am On Apr 04, 2018
hmm
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Angelawhite(m): 8:12am On Apr 04, 2018
After paying the humongous fees, your basic rights are still deprived you.

University is not just not just an academic ground. It is also a place for social learning. A socially balanced being is not the person who is restricted to only the 'good' side of social life, but the person who is learned to choose the good side, not because it is the only option, but because it is the best choice.

Imagine a keyboard that predicts every word you're about to type and stops you halfway from typing if you're about to make a mistake in the spelling and consequently suggests inputs the right spellings for you. The keyboard does not even give you a chance to make mistakes and does not allow you to appreciate and learn from it.

Students should be given a chance to learn from mistakes and not to learn 'perfections'

8 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Mofe72: 8:13am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:

I have seen the video myself. This time around Covenant would be taught an important lesson. I know someone has forwarded the video to Webometrics, Times Higher and the international red cross and so they can exclude Covenant from subsequent rankings as protest for this kind of behavior. The President of Webometrics just confirmed an hour ago that he received such video though he recommended the students get "local authorities" involved.

Covenant offers excellent academic education but we must call out every nonsensical behaviour in the school.

Lmao! See all this talk didn’t start today. Nothing will happen
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by kullozone(m): 8:15am On Apr 04, 2018
SpoiltVirgin:

It's not going anywhere because you'll stop it abi?
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Mofe72: 8:15am On Apr 04, 2018
When lecturers in IMSU, UNIOSUN & UNILAG flogged students y’all didn’t say anything. Yen yen yen
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 04, 2018
X
Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Exciton(m): 8:16am On Apr 04, 2018
I thought HigherEd was a hardcore CU fan. I guess I had a wrong opinion about you. You're just a person who cares about our education. Continue the good work.

13 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by eodavids(m): 8:17am On Apr 04, 2018
HigherEd:
Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of National Universities Commission

Covenant University today has become the epitome of religious oppression, mockery and is proof of how terrible the Nigerian educational space can get if not well regulated.

Today we witnessed possibly hundreds of the so called "Kings and Queens of Hebron" having their hair scrapped to humiliate and shame them for not bringing bibles to Church. Worse still, is that the instrument used in scrapping the hair of possibly hundreds of students was not safe as they use it on students after students without visibly sterilizing it.

It saddens me that an institution with so much potential to become one of Africa's best universities has decided to go this path of oppression and senselessness and the National Universities Commission is complicit in allowing this evil happen unchecked, by failing to protect the rights of Nigerian students or creating regulations preventing them from oppressing students.

The irresponsibility of NUC not only shows in their lack of desire to protect students of private universities but even students of public universities who have also been subjected to ridiculous treatments in their universities

As a nation we've failed our people in the public education system and we are equally failing our people in the private educational system. We've failed to check the educational activities of our religious organizations not minding the oppression and sometimes, indoctrination that happens silently in those organizations. We've made higher education an all comers affair without putting in regulations binding church or islamic universities from doing just as they like. I hope we would not wake up someday to realise an entire segment of the population of the country indoctrinated thanks to our nonchalance.

It is time for NUC to do better by creating a comprehensive guideline for Private universities which would prevent students from being forced to go to chapel or mosques, attend prayers or unofficial meetings and equally scrutinize the handbooks of all universities making sure it doesn't violate the constitutional rights of students.

For purpose of emphasis and clarity there is no section of Covenant University's handbook of 2013-2017 where it is written that students hair can be scrapped with an unsterilized equipment because students refused to bring bibles to church.

This is also a wakeup call to students of Covenant university to challenge Covenant over their non constitutional behavior in a federal high court over the public health risks they were subjected to by Covenant University. By HigherEd

Lalasticlala pls help move to fp

Op, I take exception to your position on this matter.

Covenant University is today known for its quality of education, infrastructure and standard. That being the case; BUT DO NOT FORGET THAT COVENNANT UNIVERSITY IS A DREAM, VISSION AND MISSION OF CERTAIN WELL MEANING INDIVIDUALS.

IF THE MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLE THE INSTITUTION IS INCULCATING IN THEIR STUDENTS ARE PART OT THEIR VISSION AND MISSION; THEN MY POSITION IS THAT THEY SHOULD FIRE ON.

WE MUST NOT ALWAYS RUN INSTITUTIONS OF LEARNING WITH LOOSE AND LAX MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES.

KUDOS TO COVENNANT!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by Bifrost: 8:18am On Apr 04, 2018
Is there anywhere in CU's student handbook where it is forbidden to keep a neatly groomed Afro?

What am I saying? How is the length of one's hair an index of one's spirituality or intelligence?

So, this also means someone with natural dreadlocks can't attend Covenant University?

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University's Track Record Of Abuse And The Irresponsibility Of NUC by naijjaman(m): 8:24am On Apr 04, 2018
This is sad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kaitlin Akwada Becomes Godfrey Okoye Uni VC For 24 Hours After 5.0 Final CGPA / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose / Covenant University Tops In Research Endeavors Among World Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.