Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds (21917 Views)

Nigerian Woman Marks 15 Years Since She Survived Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos) / 94-Year-Old Nigerian Woman, Alakija, A Sickle Cell Patient (Photos) / Enwerem Uju: Sickle Cell Mom Tells Her Story, Reveals How She Defiled All Odds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Teniola2000: 2:18am On Apr 04, 2018
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6925671_img20180404020245620_jpega5566b63889d578c4a19cb691bcbf5a5

@JoelsBlog Media

A 93-year-old Nigerian woman who has Sickle Cell anaemia has granted an interview in which she spoke about her life, living with sickle cell, marriage, childbirth and surviving against the odds.

Alhaja Ashiata Abike Onikoyi nee Laguda will be 94 years old this October and she lives a full life though she has the dreaded SS genotype.

Alhaja Laguda, as she is popularly called, said during an interview with The Nation, that she stopped having Sickle Cell attacks since she turned 40, though her genotype remains same.

"Doctors see me and wonder what a miracle I am.," the nonagenarian said.

She recalled that being sickly was tougher at the time she was growing up because nobody knew about sickle cell anaemia.

She was always sick to the point that in a whole year, she may attend school only about three months of the entire annual school calendar while she spent the other months sick and at home. She was given all sorts of concoctions to cure her illness due to the ignorance surrounding the ailment.

“I was taken to the hospital; then they still brought all sorts of concoction from the Igbo tribe, from Yoruba people and from Hausa part of the country, because it was a very serious sickness. I just took everything that they gave me. They would cut me on every part of my body but I gave myself to them because I wanted to live.”

When the illness attacked her hands, she recalled that she would not be able to use them for anything – not even to eat. When it attacked her legs, she would not be able to walk, and whenever she was at home, she must be by the fire-side, to keep her warm.

“They called me abiku and several other names, but thank God things have changed today. Also, the government is doing everything within its power to enlighten the people about the disease.”

She said her father pampered her because he feared he could lose her at any moment. So he mostly kept her away from school.

She said: "If he didn’t die, I probably wouldn’t have been educated because he said I should be left at home, so that they can watch over me every time.

“He insisted that because of my nature, no teacher should beat me. He would say I should be left at home even when I was not having any attacks; but when he died I had no choice because my mum insisted I went to school. That, in a nutshell, was how it became possible for me to go to school.”

She added: "If I went to school and it was going to rain, they would bring a car to pick me, because the rain must not touch me. I must not go out in the cold, I must not step on wet ground; I couldn’t even stay where there was a fan, let alone in a cold weather.

"But all that is gone now. Since I clocked forty, I have not had any attacks."

Alhaja later wanted to go to England for Secretariat Studies but concerned persons advised her mother against it because they thought the cold weather will not be conducive to her health. She stood her grounds and travelled and there she got better care because they understood her illness.

Alhaja Laguda later married, more than once, and had children. The first man she married was her medical doctor, Dr. Alakija.

He was married at the time but loved her and understood her condition so he also married her and came to her rescue when at Queen's College, Lagos, she was expected to be involved in certain activities that were too tasking for her health.

She had two children with her first husband before his death. Then she remarried and had more kids. When asked how many husbands she had, she replied, “I had many husbands o!”
She said all the men she married knew she was sickly but they didn’t care because in those days, not everyone knew about sickle cell anaemia.
“They loved me so, and married me so,” she explained

She had four of her children before travelling out of Nigeria and said childbirth was pretty easy for her. But the delivery of her last child was not so easy and she thought she would die.

She recalled: “I remember when I had my last child, I told the doctor that I would die that day but he said no, that I would not die. He and other doctors on duty were on ground, telling me that they were weighing the blood I was losing and they gave me the best treatment. In fact, at lunch time I was up and doing; I even had lunch with the doctors.”

Alhaja Laguda has remained strong all her life and even continued doing herlaundryy herself up until the age of 90 when she suffered a fall and began to take things slow. She attributes her long and healthy life to praying and trying as much as possible to lead a normal life.

She said: "What gave me the strength is God because I am a prayer warrior. I prayed, I fasted regularly and I have visited the holy land (Mecca) thirteen times, to serve my God and ask him for what I want.”

As regards nourishment, Alhaja Laguda said she doesn't avoid any foods and eats everything.
She said: “I eat everything that people eat. This morning I had bread and egg. I don’t have any don’ts at all. I eat sugar also.

“I eat dates a lot also because they are from Mecca and they are very good fruits.”

She said she does a lot of exercising and believes walking is the best form of exercise.
She said:,

“Before I fell, I used to walk from my house here in Ilasamaja, Lagos to Mushin and Oshodi market as a form of exercise because I believe walking is the best exercise one can engage in. I walked like that until I was 90 when I fell and had to stop.”

Prior to her fall, Alhaja Laguda used to go to hospitals to talk to people living with Sickle Cell anaemia, lecture them, and encourage them. She called on parents with children suffering from sickle cell anaemia to take care of the children very well, feed them well and show them lots of love.

“This will make it easier for them to live with the disease. When it is cold, keep them warm; don’t keep them at home because they are always sick; let them go to school, it is very important,” she said.

She said she hopes to leave this earth soon, adding: “I want to go but God has not killed me, so I have no choice but live.”

News by Joelsblog:
https://joelsblog.com.ng/93yrs-old-nigerian-sickle-cell-anaemia-survivor-shares-her-story-on-how-she-over-came-her-sickness/

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 04, 2018
wow...... 93 year-old.

.some are not up to this b4 dying and they are also without sickle cell.

truly it is AGAINST ALL ODDS

GOD IS GREAT ..

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Nobody: 3:41am On Apr 04, 2018
I read thru the story. God is still in d business of doing what only him can do. If he likes a 6 pack hefty strong-looking healthy person may die at 40 after a brief illness while a sickly person after several grievious illnesses will live till 93yrs and still counting. He dumbfounds doctors.

The Best a man can do is ask that God puts him on his favoured side because if you're asking why is life fair to some and unfair to others, you'll be wasting your time.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by timilehing(m): 4:13am On Apr 04, 2018
1 in a million exception! Wonder

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by VanNistelrooy24: 4:19am On Apr 04, 2018
She said she hopes to leave this earth soon, adding: “I want to go but God has not killed me, so I have no choice but live.”

Mama sef grin

Maybe her god is Sango.

God is indeed the greatest physician.

5 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Yewandequeen(f): 4:31am On Apr 04, 2018
Nothing is impossible afterall.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Supernatural28(m): 4:49am On Apr 04, 2018
God is good

4 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Sunbellar: 5:00am On Apr 04, 2018
Interesting!
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Dyt(f): 5:01am On Apr 04, 2018
God in His full awesomeness

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by eliwa47(m): 5:13am On Apr 04, 2018
What else can i say? alhaja laguda have recieved mercy n grace!

4 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by haryorbarmie83(m): 5:15am On Apr 04, 2018
May your days be long. Wonderful you are baba God.

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by papi22(m): 5:28am On Apr 04, 2018
Wonderful..
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by shankara7: 5:40am On Apr 04, 2018
Nice but it's not strange.
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by abescom: 5:42am On Apr 04, 2018
Okay
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Pavore9: 5:46am On Apr 04, 2018
Inspiring.

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by dayleke: 5:50am On Apr 04, 2018
Na baba God o....

It is well
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Culin(f): 6:10am On Apr 04, 2018
Gloria come see this smiley
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by aniweta12(m): 6:15am On Apr 04, 2018
God is great.
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by mayormick(m): 6:26am On Apr 04, 2018
This really inspires me, av had dat if u get to certain age u will overcome sickle cell but av not had or see one b4, mama will be d first. Will always use this to encourage the sickle cell patients I know.

2 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by supereagle(m): 6:30am On Apr 04, 2018
This should circulate well in the social media. Hope for the sticklers. God really gives live.
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by sulemanalex(m): 6:30am On Apr 04, 2018
Great Miracle
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by mictima(m): 6:33am On Apr 04, 2018
God, I want this too...
Amen.

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by twilliamx(m): 6:34am On Apr 04, 2018
This mama na butter woman ooo.

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:39am On Apr 04, 2018
shankara7:
Nice but it's not strange.
eleriibu

2 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by Antina(f): 6:47am On Apr 04, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:
I read thru the story. God is still in d business of doing what only him can do. If he likes a 6 pack hefty strong-looking healthy person may die at 40 after a brief illness while a sickly person after several grievious illnesses will live till 93yrs and still counting. He dumbfounds doctors.

The Best a man can do is ask that God puts him on his favoured side because if you're asking why is life fair to some and unfair to others, you'll be wasting your time.

Exactly!!

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by mhisbliss(f): 6:55am On Apr 04, 2018
wao I'm just amazed, did i just read that she also schooled in England with thier cold weather? She's a miracle

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by EagleScribes: 6:58am On Apr 04, 2018
Inspiration to others

It is all about the attitude and care received to take care of the situation. Her diet, lifestyle and use of supporting supplements

My heart reaches out to other warriors wherever they may be. Stay strong and use the right items to move on

1 Like

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by ultron12345: 7:01am On Apr 04, 2018
All glory, honour and Praise be to the almighty medical doctors whose knowledge kept her this long.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by fratermathy(m): 7:15am On Apr 04, 2018
I used to know a sickler then when I was in secondary school. He always looked weak, frail, smallish and pale. However, he is from a wealthy family and was well pampered. He's still kicking strong today.

I remember that no teacher dared to flog or scold him then. In fact, he alone had the immunity to come late to school (as late as 11am). They also never failed him smiley.

He later went to a private university before I lost touch with him.

My heart goes out to all those with sickle cell. This woman is a good inspiration to them.

5 Likes

Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by JhyMedex: 7:16am On Apr 04, 2018
Wow..impressive!!..wen most don't go past adolescence..She shld b carefully studied...Mayb implementing her lifestyle by oda sickle cell patients may help prolong their life expectancy...
Re: 93yrs Old Nigerian Sickle Cell Lady, Narrates How She Survived Against All Odds by selab: 7:17am On Apr 04, 2018
God is awesome! Unquestionable God you 're! !

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Help A Baby With Epilepsy? / Vivien Otu's Kidnap: Doctors Protest In Calabar - Pictures / How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.