Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! (3092 Views)

Chewing Sticks Are Better Than Toothbrushes - Dentist / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum / What Are The Benefits Of Chewing Bitter Kola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by Free(f): 4:06am On Mar 13, 2007
I love chewing ice.

Someone told me that it's either a sign of sexual frustration

Or Iron deficiency (which I do have) said my doctor
even though i payed no attntion to him when he told me cheesy

I haven't been taking my iron pills but now I will. grin cheesy cheesy
I also did some searches and found that its true!

So, I wanted to see if it's true. Do you enjoy chewing ice?
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by naijacutee(f): 7:18am On Mar 13, 2007
Uh-oh. . . embarassed Do you get tired very easily, Free? The problem with iron tablets is that they make you constipate!! embarassed So for a normal . . . . you'll have to take laxatives along with them but i think there is a limit to how long you can use laxatives for. . . I dunno, Any doctor in the house?
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by cuteass1(f): 1:40am On Mar 15, 2007
interesting topic, got a bit wiser hmm cheesy
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by kykiej(f): 8:30pm On Mar 26, 2007
nice topic,funny i've always loved chewin ice,every1 close to me who knew me well knew i liked to chew ice,and alot of them seemed to pick the habit grin
i knew it might have to do wiht iron deficiency esp since my periods were usually quite heavy.
anyways i guess i can say i got my retrospective diagnosis,basically i just started takin vitamins cos i felt like it,and noticed that i no longer have cravings for ice shocked,its so funny cos i chewed ice for years!anyways its not just ice that is associated with anemia,basically its eating stuff that are not nutritious,so if u have cravings for anythin thats not food,u could have iron deficiency.its called pica
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by jydagirl(f): 8:27am On Mar 27, 2007
I HAVE CHEWED ICE ALL MY LIFE.I STILL CHEWED SOME YDAY.I PURPOSELY RE-FILL THE ICE TRAY IN MY BOSSES FRIDGE JUST TO CHEW WHENEVER HE STEPS OUT OF THE OFFICE.I'M AN ADDICT.IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE ME AS MANY PPLE FIND THIS MY ADDICTION VERY STRANGE.I'M TOLD IT AFFECTS THE TEETH AS ONE AGES BUT EVEN IF IT'S TRUE (WHICH I DOUBT) I'LL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN I GET THERE.TO ALL ICE LOVERS "KEEP CHEWING ICE"! smiley
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by agnesoseka: 9:48am On Mar 27, 2007
lol
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by doubletree(f): 11:05pm On Mar 27, 2007
or pregnant. smiley
my sister kept crushing and chewing ice cubes during her 1st pregnancy
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by ajolayo(m): 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2007
Actually cravings for ice (its not necessarily ice, some it might be chalk etc) is called pica. It is a feature of iron deficiency anaemia. But some cravings are not necessarily due to iron deficiency anaemia. Some pregnant women (as someone rightly said) have abnormal cravings. Some crave for charcoal, some chalk, others some weird stuff.
But some cravings can be a sign of some worse problems. Some might be a sign of a psychiatric illness. Some people eat hair. There is also a condition of the brain called KLuver-Bucy syndrome - the person craves for food and sex. etc.

Let me stop boring you guys with a lot of medical jargons. The question was innocous.

Well we all have our cravings. I crave for orange juice and I am sure I am perfectly normal.
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by viee(f): 12:21pm On Mar 29, 2007
relieved!
nice to know some people also indulge in this not so good habit.i have tried over time to stop chewing ice but for where?
had anemia once.
then had to see a therapist to help my but just yersterday, i chewed ice.
when PHCN acts funny, guess d only thing i miss?
ICE! shocked
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by lizzy47(f): 1:50pm On Mar 29, 2007
too much of everything is bad so u guy should try and work on ur ice chewing cos it will definately affect u later

@viee
lol grin cheesy u're so funny well i miss see bulb light when PHCN misbehave
finally my sis does dis too everyone is talking to her but too sturborn to listen
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by wenase(f): 8:37pm On Mar 30, 2007
@ Free
Am anemic also and i chew about 8 cups of ice everyday.Iron Pills really and truly causes constipation, but taking the pills with dark chocolate can help move your bowels.
Re: Do You Enjoy Chewing Ice? You May Be Anemic! by TOYOSI20(f): 2:29am On Aug 30, 2009
Hmmm, . . .i chew on ice chips every chance i get, . . .and nah i ain't anemic, . . . undecided

(1) (Reply)

10 Home Remedies For Feminine Odor / 12 Set Of Cookware Cooking Pot At Micostar Mall / Secret Of A Good Looking Skin Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.