Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,991 members, 7,799,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

How To Pick A Language For That Next Project - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Pick A Language For That Next Project (1526 Views)

Nodejs Is A Language Not A Runtime. / Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development / What Made You Pick Interest In Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by seunthomas: 4:17pm On Apr 06, 2018
I am going to be writing a series on how to pick a language for that next project.

Most times the wrong programming language or stack may mean we spend more time on a project than necessary.

So how really do you pick your stack for that next project.

Please note i will only continue this thread if i see interest.

1 Like

Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by vickzdvipe(m): 4:24pm On Apr 06, 2018
I'm still a learner sir, but be rest assured, you've got my attention 101 percent! So please continue.
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Wryhder: 7:06pm On Apr 06, 2018
In my case, I only know a handful of languages and I'm working my way up to a major project.
I get your point about picking the right stack, but there are programmers who swear by one language and consider themselves programmers in just that language.
I don't see any reason to constrain myself to any one language or stack because I believe one gets to pick up new ways of thinking that way, but I also don't see any reason to nitpick people's decisions.
However, I am not yet a 'professional' software dev and only have little experience managing a project; other than time, what other reasons should prompt a person to consider a different stack? I can understand time limitations if I have to deliver a product to a client, but if I didn't have to consider time?
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2018
Wryhder:
In my case, I only know a handful of languages and I'm working my way up to a major project.
I get your point about picking the right stack, but there are programmers who swear by one language and consider themselves programmers in just that language.
I don't see any reason to constrain myself to any one language or stack because I believe one gets to pick up new ways of thinking that way, but I also don't see any reason to nitpick people's decisions.
However, I am not yet a 'professional' software dev and only have little experience managing a project; other than time, what other reasons should prompt a person to consider a different stack? I can understand time limitations if I have to deliver a product to a client, but if I didn't have to consider time?
Sire, there goes a saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"
No one is saying you shouldn't explore other branches buh have a very firm ground in a language and make it your base

1 Like

Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by romme2u: 10:54pm On Apr 06, 2018
smiley
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by 4kings: 12:48pm On Apr 07, 2018
seunthomas:
I am going to be writing a series on how to pick a language for that next project.

Most times the wrong programming language or stack may mean we spend more time on a project than necessary.

So how really do you pick your stack for that next project.

Please note i will only continue this thread if i see interest.
Where art thou?
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 07, 2018
wane01:

Sire, there goes a saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"
No one is saying you shouldn't explore other branches buh have a very firm ground in a language and make it your base

In such case it is why it's good to pick a general programming language e.g Java there are so many things you can do with ease in a Java Application than PHP e.g Scheduled Task rather than Cron Jobs and Threads or if it's even a Console App Java handles that too or Desktop. Java or C#
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 7:49pm On Apr 07, 2018
pcguru1:

In such case it is why it's good to pick a general programming language e.g Java there are so many things you can do with ease in a Java Application than PHP e.g Scheduled Task rather than Cron Jobs and Threads or if it's even a Console App Java handles that too or Desktop. Java or C#
Nice buh starting from our school days we have always know java to be a "Brain knocker and a verbose language" especially uncle SE
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 07, 2018
wane01:

Nice buh starting from our school days we have always know java to be a "Brain knocker and a verbose language" especially uncle SE

Lol funny enough I prefer a more verbose language I started with C++ ( I still don't know it) then C# before PHP I hate language that are not expressive enough but Java is kinda over verbose luckily Java 8/10 is taking care of things, my current company has made me like Java a lot .
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2018
pcguru1:

Lol funny enough I prefer a more verbose language I started with C++ ( I still don't know it) then C# before PHP I hate language that are not expressive enough but Java is kinda over verbose luckily Java 8/10 is taking care of things, my current company has made me like Java a lot .
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 8:25pm On Apr 07, 2018
pcguru1:

Your workspace forced you to like it you meant?
I also did java in the beginning infact i started as a M.A.D buh switched to python and kept on with java's spring framework
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 07, 2018
wane01:

Your workspace forced you to like it you meant?
I also did java in the beginning infact i started as a M.A.D buh switched to python and kept on with java's spring framework

Not forced, this will be long, so before working in my company I had worked with Java for J2ME Apps then I was in a startup Efiko and Java was a bad experience because J2ME was limited in resources so you had to play nice and ensure things were cool plus it was doing UI with Canvas (Nokia LWUIT) so it was depressing till i jumped to blackberry, I had used C# then but no one brought C# jobs to me, so It was mostly PHP i was doing for a long long time. I had never attempted developing web application with Java because it seemed too heavy on XML configuration, amount of resources used by those heavy containers so i stuck with PHP, but after working with Spring Boot for like 1 year plus, mehn Java is the shit so many things that comes natural with Java than PHP.

Spring Framework is the sh.it if i were to do PHP i will use Symfony since they copy Spring concepts. The Speed is mad as it's compiled and tons of libraries to use and quality of library. I had a task to do which was to move authentication to redis because we were running a multi instance application, Spring Data made things easier.
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 10:51pm On Apr 07, 2018
pcguru1:

Not forced, this will be long, so before working in my company I had worked with Java for J2ME Apps then I was in a startup Efiko and Java was a bad experience because J2ME was limited in resources so you had to play nice and ensure things were cool plus it was doing UI with Canvas (Nokia LWUIT) so it was depressing till i jumped to blackberry, I had used C# then but no one brought C# jobs to me, so It was mostly PHP i was doing for a long long time. I had never attempted developing web application with Java because it seemed too heavy on XML configuration, amount of resources used by those heavy containers so i stuck with PHP, but after working with Spring Boot for like 1 year plus, mehn Java is the shit so many things that comes natural with Java than PHP.

Spring Framework is the sh.it if i were to do PHP i will use Symfony since they copy Spring concepts. The Speed is mad as it's compiled and tons of libraries to use and quality of library. I had a task to do which was to move authentication to redis because we were running a multi instance application, Spring Data made things easier.
As we grow older in a career we advance more .. buh right from day one I never liked php even when I was running courses on server side stuffs I never liked it
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by nsien1(m): 8:56am On Apr 08, 2018
Carry on.
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 08, 2018
wane01:

As we grow older in a career we advance more .. buh right from day one I never liked php even when I was running courses on server side stuffs I never liked it

Yeah i now get why people hate PHP everytime it runs it bootstraps everything db connection, load libraries per request that is why php can never scale unless you invest heavily on caches. anyway sha i won't want to lie i'm not tied to a stack as much i prefer Java if a business in PHP comes with serious cash i will and ensure it's quality code.

1 Like

Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by Wryhder: 9:59pm On Apr 08, 2018
@seunthomas Did you forget this thread?
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by wane01(m): 11:54pm On Apr 08, 2018
pcguru1:

Yeah i now get why people hate PHP everytime it runs it bootstraps everything db connection, load libraries per request that is why php can never scale unless you invest heavily on caches. anyway sha i won't want to lie i'm not tied to a stack as much i prefer Java if a business in PHP comes with serious cash i will and ensure it's quality code.
Yea at times just the feeling of accomplishing something i tagged to be impossible moves me to put ma self tight corner ..
So I try to make some personal projects on different technologies in my spare time so as not to mess up someone's work ....
Some peeps still find joy in PHP anyway buh as for me it ain't my line
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by seunthomas: 4:33pm On Apr 09, 2018
Will continue the thread tommorrow. Stay tuned.
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by seunthomas: 9:15pm On Apr 10, 2018
One of the most important thing to consider when picking a language for a new project is your level of proficiency in that language or framework. Though its ok to learn on the job, your ability to succeed or fail in the project depends on how well you understand the language or framework.

Is it a new language or framework that is not battle tested by the community of developers? If it is, i strongly recommend you dont try to use it for a production project.
Can you point to 1 or 2 working applications or sites using this framework or technology?
Re: How To Pick A Language For That Next Project by afonja112: 11:20am On Nov 05, 2018
Wryhder:
@seunthomas Did you forget this thread?
ding

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Downsides Of Being A Programmer / Why Aren't Nigerians Taking Advantage Of Messaging Apps That Dont Need Internet? / Hw Can Someone Create A Video Streaming Map in java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.