Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please (30442 Views)

My Married Sister Wants to be a liability to us / My Sister Wants To Quit Her Young Marriage. / She Married An Old Fashioned Man, Kindly Advise Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 7:56pm On Apr 07, 2018
Her husband is vehemently against having a court marriage with her, They did church marriage and reception but no court,

He keeps refusing and saying he doesn't see the need because he isn't travelling abroad soon and so does not see the importance.

Please what is the usefulness of court marriage for her as a wife and him as the husband? I want to know how to advise her in convincing the husband.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Taiwo20(m): 8:16pm On Apr 07, 2018
they both have trust issues.....and people should stop think they can hold people done with court marriage or any type of marriage for that matter..

Concentrate on better thing biko

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 10:18pm On Apr 07, 2018
Taiwo20:
they both have trust issues.....and people should stop think they can hold people done with court marriage or any type of marriage for that matter..

Concentrate on better thing biko

I should concentrate on better things? My sisters welfare no be better thing?

159 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by blank(f): 1:22am On Apr 08, 2018
What Church? If they gave her certificate that has Federal Republic of Nigeria and is very long, that's the same certificate as the court gives. She should take it to the nearest marriage registry and register a copy. The End.

174 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by id4sho(m): 8:29am On Apr 08, 2018
This two sister Intentions is already known

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by grafixdon: 10:03am On Apr 08, 2018
This's how people put asunder to marriage. They'll begin to put pressure on this man and he'll start thinking there's another motive for the court marriage. Let him be. Court marriage does not guarantee your happiness in the marriage. Your marriage is still very young, don't cause problem in your marriage. Think woman, think.

108 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:37am On Apr 08, 2018
the important question IS: why is that so important to your sister?! what more is she hoping to get (thats she isnt getting) from the next marriage?

you could have better helped your sister by telling her to enjoy her marriage instead of poisoning it.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 11:08am On Apr 08, 2018
MrBrownJay1:
the important question IS: why is that so important to your sister?! what more is she hoping to get (thats she isnt getting) from the next marriage?

you could have better helped your sister by telling her to enjoy her marriage instead of poisoning it.
grafixdon:
This's how people put asunder to marriage. They'll begin to put pressure on this man and he'll start thinking there's another motive for the court marriage. Let him be. Court marriage does not guarantee your happiness in the marriage. Your marriage is still very young, don't cause problem in your marriage. Think woman, think.

She said she can be forcibly thrown out and her children taken from her if she is not protected by the law. She isn't doing it for money.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:18pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

She said she can be forcibly thrown out and her children taken from her if she is not protected by the law. She isn't doing it for money.

but of course, its not about money (it never is. right?). sadly any man with any bit of money should protect his WEALTH before even thinking of protecting his children, because you know what? a man without money CANNOT protect and/or cater for the wellbeing of his damn children.

btw if that is her state of mind, then she has NO BUSINESS being married.... and should be single for the rest of her damn life. the man already said he aint gonna marry her so she has only 2 options.... divorce or accept his wishes. the choice is all hers.

65 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 1:40pm On Apr 08, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

but of course, its not about money (it never is. right?). sadly any man with any bit of money should protect his WEALTH before even thinking of protecting his children, because you know what? a man without money CANNOT protect and/or cater for the wellbeing of his damn children.

btw if that is her state of mind, then she has NO BUSINESS being married.... and should be single for the rest of her damn life. the man already said he aint gonna marry her so she has only 2 options.... divorce or accept his wishes. the choice is all hers.

Divorce or accept his wishes only?
No other option?

What about persuasion and discussion?
Nigerian in laws have a way of intruding into other family members marriages and they can persuade the man to chase her out and seize her children.
I don't get why many Nairaland men have a strong anti women mentality.
And by the way it truly isn't about money. Not to brag but our dad worked in SPDC for over 30years and amassed millions of naira and cats and properties for his children. We can all sit down comfortably for the rest of our lives without working, we have enough. And my parents sponsored their wedding because he was still a struggling up coming young man. I can assure you she does not want his money.
He doesn't have a quarter of what she has.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by sisisioge: 1:48pm On Apr 08, 2018
She's his wife by the customary law already. The only thing lacking now is that he's permitted to marry another wife if he pleases. The court marriage forbids that, it even prescribed jail term for him if he tries it.

Let's look on the bright side, God forbid o, if you sis decides to leave him tomorrow, all she needs is to file at a customary court. Within reasonable amount of time and minimal spending, they become history.

No, he cannot throw her out of the house or take her kids from her. She's still covered by law.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

No other option?

Nigerian in laws have a way of intruding into other family members marriages and they can persuade the man to chase her out and seize her children.
And by the way it truly isn't about money. Not to brag but our dad worked in SPDC for over 30years and amassed millions of naira and cats and properties for his children. We can all sit down comfortably for the rest of our lives without working, we have enough. And my parents sponsored their wedding because he was still a struggling up coming young man. I can assure you she does not want his money.

you see, this above is the reason why so many women are MISERABLE in marriage, and also why so many marriages are failing. they communicate and this guy tells her exactly what he wants, while she says her mind, this man is vehemently (as you wrote) against marrying her in court, yet this woman thinks she can persuade him otherwise. lol! ok good luck, and make sure she doesnt end up dead like the many who played with fire and got burned by some demon they forced into court marriage.

31 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

you see, this above is the reason why so many women are MISERABLE in marriage, and also why so many marriages are failing. they communicate and this guy tells her exactly what he wants, while she says her mind, this man is vehemently (as you wrote) against marrying her in court, yet this woman thinks she can persuade him otherwise. lol! ok good luck, and make sure she doesnt end up dead like the many who played with fire and got burned by some demon they forced into court marriage.

Na wa oo grin

Oga marriage is all about unity and love. there should be compromise in marriage. If she tries to persuade him it's not bad. They are partners, not master and slave.
See you talking of death for this kain thing, it's not that serious biko.
The man isn't a demon, he is very easy going he just needs to convinced in a logical way.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

Na wa oo grin

Oga marriage is all about unity and love. there should be compromise in marriage. If she tries to persuade him it's not bad. They are partners, not master and slave.
The man isn't a demon, he is very easy going he just needs to convinced in a logical way.

sadly, thats "your" logical way, while it certainly aint his... there is no unity if someone is adamant that they dont want to do something, while the other is plotting to change that man's opinion. what about finding a man who reason and have the same opinion as her?! would that be too difficult? yes there should be compromise in marriage with people who are ready to compromise (not with those who are vehemently against an act). but hey, funny how you think only in one direction about such persuasion.

marriage shouldnt be a do or die affair... if they dont get along on such IMPORTANT matter, then let them part ways now instead of starting on the wrong foot.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Taiwo20(m): 3:09pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

I should concentrate on better things? My sisters welfare no be better thing?

They should concentrate on other things not you.There are people who have been married for years without court marriage.

11 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by eyinjuege: 3:53pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

No other option?

She shouldn't bother herself, and i'm not sure why she is stressing over it.
She also should look out for herself, and how she will continue to sustain herself and her chilren if anything happens to the marriage.
It even seems to protect her inheritance sef.
I personally dont think inheritances should be split between divorced couples, but that's just a personal opinion.
Anyway, as per looking for a way to persuade him, she shouldn't do any official change of name for work, passport, bank, documents etc. Let her continue to maintain her maiden name. I'm not sure she can even do that (change of name in her documents) if her marriage is not registered in the courts. That's an argument she can use. So for now, family members can call her mrs x, but officially she will still be bearing her father's name

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by baby124: 4:42pm On Apr 08, 2018
Why is he against court wedding? I don’t think it’s clear why he’s so against it.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by bukatyne(f): 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
baby124:
Why is he against court wedding? I don’t think it’s clear why he’s so against it.
Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by bukatyne(f): 5:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

sadly, thats "your" logical way, while it certainly aint his... there is no unity if someone is adamant that they dont want to do something, while the other is plotting to change that man's opinion. what about finding a man who reason and have the same opinion as her?! would that be too difficult? yes there should be compromise in marriage with people who are ready to compromise (not with those who are vehemently against an act). but hey, funny how you think only in one direction about such persuasion.

marriage shouldnt be a do or die affair... if they dont get along on such IMPORTANT matter, then let them part ways now instead of starting on the wrong foot.

They are already married

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:46pm On Apr 08, 2018
bukatyne:
They are already married

maybe someone should remind the wife that then?

14 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Prognose: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

Na wa oo grin

If marriage is about unity and love as you wrote above your sister should trust him, respect his opinion and let things be.

Don't give him the idea that the court marriage is for an ulterior motive e.g she doesn't trust him or his family.

Don't poison the marriage.

32 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Orchid45: 7:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
Since she is flush with cash, she could splurge on a family abroad vacation all expenses paid by her. A legal proof of marriage will be required for the visa processing. This might be her best bet.

She should only do that after she is convinced her husband has forgotten about the issue, and she is still desperate for it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 10:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
sisisioge:
She's his wife by the customary law already. The only thing lacking now is that he's permitted to marry another wife if he pleases. The court marriage forbids that, it even prescribed jail term for him if he tries it.

Let's look on the bright side, God forbid o, if you sis decides to leave him tomorrow, all she needs is to file at a customary court. Within reasonable amount of time and minimal spending, they become history.

No, he cannot throw her out of the house or take her kids from her. She's still covered by law.

@bold, phew, are you for real? That would be such a relief for her if I tell her. Fear of losing her children is the only reason she is pushing for court marriage.
Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 10:22pm On Apr 08, 2018
Orchid45:
Since she is flush with cash, she could splurge on a family abroad vacation all expenses paid by her. A legal proof of marriage will be required for the visa processing. This might be her best bet.

She should only do that after she is convinced her husband has forgotten about the issue, and she is still desperate for it.

grin

This is a crafty but smart idea.

6 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
baby124:

Personally I think he wants to keep his option of getting a second wife open. Am just guessing though since the guy is from a polygamy family.

15 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by baby124: 10:53pm On Apr 08, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:

Personally I think he wants to keep his option of getting a second wife open. Am just guessing though since the guy is from a polygamy family.
Did your sister have the discussion of polygamy with him before marriage? Is she ok with polygamy? If she’s not then this is her chance to run away. Divorce after court wedding is more expensive, time consuming and tedious than divorce if traditional marriage or religious rites. If she cannot deal with or agree to a second wife then she should walk away from the sham.

14 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 08, 2018
She doesn't trust him not to kick her out, not to take her kids, not to take a second wife.... what is the point of this union?

I wouldn't marry someone that I need to protect myself from so I have no advise other than LEAVE.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 11:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
Halfpenny:
She doesn't trust him not to kick her out, not to take her kids, not to take a second wife.... what is the point of this union?

I wouldn't marry someone that I need to protect myself from so I have no advise other than LEAVE.

People change. The monogamous man of today could be polygamous tomorrow.

20 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Chaclaitmilk(m): 11:26pm On Apr 08, 2018
baby124:

Did your sister have the discussion of polygamy with him before marriage? Is she ok with polygamy? If she’s not then this is her chance to run away. Divorce after court wedding is more expensive, time consuming and tedious than divorce if traditional marriage or religious rites. If she cannot deal with or agree to a second wife then she should walk away from the sham.

Hmm. OK.

I don't know if they discussed it. I will ask

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 09, 2018
blank:
What Church? If they gave her certificate that has Federal Republic of Nigeria and is very long, that's the same certificate as the court gives. She should take it to the nearest marriage registry and register a copy. The End.

Please ma, The End of What? cheesy
Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by blank(f): 4:12am On Apr 09, 2018
cruchenutii:

Please ma, The End of What? cheesy

End of the unnecessary drama. I had a cousin who went to Church for her wedding and was still insisting they did court. I tried to explain to her but she no hear. Eventually, they went to the court and those ones said that they already had the record as the church had dropped a copy. Unnecessary drama.

18 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:10am On Apr 09, 2018
Chaclaitmilk:
@bold, phew, are you for real? That would be such a relief for her if I tell her. Fear of losing her children is the only reason she is pushing for court marriage.

fear of losing her children is more important to her than the fear of losing her husband?!?!?! this woman has misplaced priorities.
but hey, pls do enlighten us by telling us HOW a woman (supposedly richer than her husband) can lose her damn children?!

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

“I Married My Boyfriend Who Infected Me With HIV Because I Love Him” —woman Says / What Is Wrong With This Photo? / Woman Advertises Cheating Husband On Newspaper In Kenya (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.