Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (28606 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by kokomilala(m): 7:00pm On Apr 10, 2018
@chiedozie198000, were you too timid to mention Soyinka's name? His works don't need to feature in that list. There are far better writers than Achebe and Soyinka whose works didn't make that list.
If you wanna brag about achievements, then Soyinka comes top. He was the first black man, African to win the coveted Nobel Prize. That distinction belongs to him and his name is forever written in the sky. No amount of hate or vitriol would rob him of it. So, deal with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Edge1(m): 7:12pm On Apr 10, 2018
moscobabs:
I prefer Alawiye and Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmola. just because oyinbo dont know the beauty of Yoruba language

OK, we have seen you.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 10, 2018
moscobabs:
I prefer Alawiye and Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmola. just because oyinbo dont know the beauty of Yoruba language

Well, you can start a campaign that will help Alawiye and Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmola make the list of the 100 greatest books ever written.

Your people have a steep war chest so printing 120 million copies in 57 languages will be easy peasy.

Anu mpama.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by 8stargeneral: 7:19pm On Apr 10, 2018
Amazing,great job from d legend.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by MissRaine69(f): 7:25pm On Apr 10, 2018
If he only knew how much they have fallen even further apart he would be greatly saddened.

One of my top 15 books that I hold dear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by ebby9z(m): 7:26pm On Apr 10, 2018
moscobabs:
That second book you mentioned is the best Nigerian book I ever read. It's too underrated

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by rose54321: 7:28pm On Apr 10, 2018
Honestly the book is Epic, started reading it again few months ago and I'm wowed. The proverbs, choice of words, and overall storyline.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by ruggedized1: 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2018
Anambra born Chinua Achebe. Great

4 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Born2Breed(f): 7:37pm On Apr 10, 2018
Himmler:

Okonkwo grin

Ebubuedike

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 10, 2018
manuel4real:
I have not read that book lipsrsealed

Then watch the movie.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by gustav25: 7:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
Bryan12:
please can you help a brother with a link on"arrow of god"?
send me a mail and I will send you the arrow of god
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2018
Lightening:

Wole Soyinka name no near that list sef, yet Afonjeezies keep comparing him with the great Achebe. Shoe dey get sizes. Mcheeew.

They know bro.

They just choose to fight it.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by gustav25: 7:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
ikechizoba:
l avoid reading that book again no matter how enticing it is,because up till now,l still can't deal with the death of Ikemefuna and the humiliation melted out to okonkwo and some elders when the white men arrested and detained them ,which drove him mad and he ended up committing suicide
achebe's illustration and use of words is so simple but breathtaking. His novels literally recreate themselves before you as you read

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by bikefab(m): 7:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
Great Umuahian
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Ikemefuna44: 7:51pm On Apr 10, 2018
koladebrainiac:
i LOVE THE Arrow of God more tho
I totally agree with you. Even Achebe subliminally admitted that 'Arrow of god' was his best.
Nevertheless, 'Things Fall Apart' was a masterpiece.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by flamingREED(m): 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2018
Have you watched 'six flying dragons', a
Korean historical traditional movie?

Then you've not seen a movie that beats what's in the books.

The suspense is unbelievable.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by gustav25: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2018
ruggedized1:
Anambra born Chinuw Achebe. Great
you are unwise
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by BlueScholar(m): 7:57pm On Apr 10, 2018
That's great! cheesy
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Throwback: 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

They know bro.

They just choose to fight it.

Why would a Nobel prize winner be compared with Chinua Achebe?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by benueguy(m): 8:07pm On Apr 10, 2018
Vinstel:

Justus Esiri, Dr Sid's father was also in that movie. They really captivated the whole nation back then
pls what's the name of the movie?
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by tayoccu(m): 8:11pm On Apr 10, 2018
and somehow The Silmarillion didn't make the list?

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by bellville: 8:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
Things Fall Apart is a great piece of literary work. Check my siggy for things fall apart and other classics.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Eteriayaoba(f): 8:22pm On Apr 10, 2018
Ah!

When The Arrow of God is No longer at ease, Things fall apart!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2018
Throwback:

Why would a Nobel prize winner be compared with Chinua Achebe?

Isn't a Nobel price receiver on literature supposed be outclass his rivals wen their literary works are graded/Compared? cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by grandstar(m): 8:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
The book deserves to be there!

The book is a masterpiece. A phenomenal read. It is in a class of it's own.

By diversion, "To Kill A Mocking Bird" is written in an uncommon way and therefore deserves to be there.

Learnt it sold over 50m copies. Only book the writer ever wrote

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Whyke141: 8:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
The beauty of this book can't be overemphasized. Truly it dreserves this treatment.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Olatara(f): 8:49pm On Apr 10, 2018
gustav25:
send me a mail and I will send you the arrow of god
Me too. plSsssss
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Mariangeles(f): 8:53pm On Apr 10, 2018
HeyCorleone:
I started reading the book when I was 7. Didn't quite follow thru but I'm sure I finished it before age 9. Still it's one of the best books I've ever read. Even at that young age I still managed to grasp the picture Achebe was painting. Why? Because he wrote it in simple English. Man pictures of that book still live in my heart. I want to get a copy to read now that I'm much older.

That was when Nigerian writers used to really think. Not these days. "Last Days of Forcados High". A recent disaster.

The book na trash!
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Mariangeles(f): 8:54pm On Apr 10, 2018
philoedu:
It really deserved it, in particular the character of okonkwo with tragic end.
It's not about how it ended though...
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by grandstar(m): 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
To those who continue to make fun of Wole Soyinka and put him down, they fail to discern the difference between the 2.

Chinua Achebe is a master storyteller

Wole Shoyinka on the other hand is a wordsmith. His mastery of the English langauage is phenomenal and out of this world.

Who else world refer to Ahmad Sani Yarima, ex governor of Zamfara state as a cross-border paedophile?

I don't know what mesmerised Nigerians the more whether it was the annulling of the 1993 election by Babangida or Shoyinka's reference to them as "A powerful cabal"?

I doff my head for the man

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
HeyCorleone:
I started reading the book when I was 7. Didn't quite follow thru but I'm sure I finished it before age 9. Still it's one of the best books I've ever read. Even at that young age I still managed to grasp the picture Achebe was painting. Why? Because he wrote it in simple English. Man pictures of that book still live in my heart. I want to get a copy to read now that I'm much older.

That was when Nigerian writers used to really think. Not these days. "Last Days of Forcados High". A recent disaster.

Gbam! I read that disaster of a book too! I think it was for either of my lil sister's waec or jamb. (I read anything I can lay my hands on). Disaster is an understatement. The book would've corrupted some young minds too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A New Year Logical Question! Logical Answers Pls! / Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.