Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,938 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

"Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court (27235 Views)

Saraki: EFCC Wants To Seize My Ilorin Home / Xenophobia: Ekweremadu Tells FG To Suspend Diplomatic Ties With South Africa / Obasanjo: "Buhari Planning To Frame Me Up & To Seize My International Passport" (2) (3) (4)

"Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
Breaking: Why FG can’t seize my assets in Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai, Ekweremadu tells court

…says Obno-Obla led presidential panel illegal

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri

ABUJA – The Deputy Senate President, Mr. Ike Ekweremadu, on Tuesday, challenged the powers of the Federal High Court in Abuja to grant interim ownership of his 22 properties to the Federal Government.

Ekweremadu, via a motion he filed through his lead counsel, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN, maintained that under the 1999 Constitution, as amended, the high court, lacked the jurisdiction to entertain and exercise judicial powers in matter related to, connected with and arising from the Code of Conduct and Declaration of Assets.

It will be recalled that FG had in an ex-parte motion marked FHC/ABJ/CS/284/2018, applied for an interim order temporarily attaching/forfeiting Ekweremadu’s properties to it, pending the conclusion of further inquiry/investigation by the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property and/or possible arraignment of the Respondent.

Nine of the properties FG asked the court to freeze because they were not declared by the embattled lawmaker, are in Abuja; two of them in London, the United Kingdom; eight in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates; and three in Florida, the United States.

FG predicated the motion on section 330 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, section 8 of the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provisions) Act, section 44 (2) (K) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.

However, Ekweremadu, in his counter-motion, told the court that the Chief Okoi Obono-Oblah led Special Presidential Investigation Panel that is moving to seize his properties for the government “is an illegal body”, saying it was not created under any law made by the National Assembly.

“The so called Special Panel was never Gazetted in any publication in the Federal Government of Nigeria Gazette. The President and Commander-in-Chief never inaugurated any panel anytime and anywhere in Nigeria”, he argued.

He contended that the Panel lacked the locus standi, competence and legal vires to receive complaints, investigate and initiate legal proceedings in matters connected with assets he declared to the Code of Conduct Bureau in 2007 and 2015.

“The Constitution of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) has laid down a set of guidelines for the behaviour of public officers. It is known as the Code of Conduct, which is contained in the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution.

“The Code of Conduct Bureau is an institution created by the Constitution and charged with ensuring compliance with the Code; whilst the Code of Conduct Tribunal is responsible for enforcing it.

“It is important to invite the court’s attention to the fact that the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provision) Act, CAP R4, LFN, 2004 gives jurisdiction to the Federal High Court under Section 2(2)b which is not only inconsistent with the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act but inconsistent with section 251 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which did not include code of conduct matters under the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court
We refer to Trade Bank Plc vs Lagos Island Local Govt (2003) supra.

“My Lord, we submit that the constitution has already provided for the body to undertake this investigation and prosecution of offences related to and connected with asset declaration. It has done so and we are therefore bound to observe it under the doctrine of covering the field.

“This sole panel has no power to receive complaints, investigate and initiate criminal proceedings against the respondent concerning issues of Assets by a public officer.

“We submit that the Federal High Court is a special court with limited jurisdiction as contained in Section 251 of the 1999 Constitution.

“Violating the Code of Conduct for Public Officers is not one of the matters in respect of which jurisdiction has been conferred on the Federal High Court under Section 251 of the Constitution.

“We urge the Court to dismiss the Ex-parte application filed in the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria”.

While refuting allegation that he did not declare all his assets, Ekweremadu, in a nine paragraphed affidavit deposed to by one John Amoke, alleged that contents of a Will he lodged at the Probate Registry of the High Court of Justice of Enugu State, was tampered with and unlawfully altered by retired Chief Judge of the state, Justice Innocent Azubike Umezulike.

He said the Obono-Oblah led Panel never notified him of its investigation of petition the retired CJ filed against him based on his distorted Will, saying he was never at any time, queried by the CCB concerning any discrepancy in assets he declared before it.

Consequently, Ekweremadu, prayed the court to dismiss FG’s ex-parte motion for being incompetent.

Meantime, FG, on Tuesday, argued that Ekweremadu lacked the right to be heard by the court since its application was brought ex-parte with the aim of preserving all the assets in issue.

FG’s lawyer, Mr. Bala Dakum who is from the chambers of Mr. Festus Keyamo, SAN, argued that the fact Ekweremadu got wind of motion to freeze his assets, did not grant him the entitlement to be heard.

More so, FG, via its own five-paragraphed affidavit that was deposed to by one Yohanna Shankuk, alleged that Ekweremandu has already sold some of the properties in question.

It said Ekweremadu’s motion was only “a delay tactics to frustrate the substance of this suit”, saying “there are reports that the Respondent is already hurriedly selling off the assets”.

FG said its motion was to stop the Respondent “from dissipating the assets in question whilst investigations are ongoing”.

Justice Binta Nyako subsequently fixed April 26 to determine whether or not Ekweremandu should be heard before the court could grant ex-parte orders with regards to the assets in dispute.

Assets FG wants the court to freeze over Ekweremadu’s alleged failure to declare them, are located at No. 11, Evans Enwerem Street, Apo Legislative Quarters, Apo, Abuja, Plot 2633 Kyami, Abuja, Housing Estate (Plot 1106 CRD, Cadastral Zone 07-07, Lugbe, Abuja, Plot 2782 Asokoro Extension, Abuja, Houses at Citi Park Estate, Gwagwalada, Abuja, Plot 1474 Cadastral Zone BD6, Mabushi, Abuja, Congress Court, Abuja, Flat 1, Block D25, Athletics Street, (24th Street) Games Village, Abuja and Plot 66, 64 Crescent, Gwarimpa Estate, Abuja.

Those in London are Flat 4 Varsity Court, Harmer Street, WIH 4NW, London, 52 Ayleston Avenue, NW6 7AB, London.

Other properties in Dubai and USA are; Room 1903, The Address Hotel, Downtown Dubai, The Address Boulevard, 3901, Dubai, 2 Flats of Burij Side Boulevard (the signature), Dubai, Emirate Gardens Apartment No. EGG1/1/114, Dubai, Emirate Gardens Apartment No. EGG1/115, Dubai, Apartment No. DFB/12/B 1204, Park Towers, Dubai, Flat 3604, MAG214, Dubai and Villa No 148, Maeen 1, The Lakes Emirates Hills, Dubai.

As well as 4507 Stella Street, Bellavida Estate Kissime, Florida, USA, 2747 Club Cortile Circle, Kissime, Florida, USA and 2763 Club Cortile Circle, Kissime, Florida, USA.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/04/breaking-fg-cant-seize-assets-nigeria-us-uk-dubai-ekweremadu-tells-court/

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by BankeSmalls(f): 6:14pm On Apr 10, 2018
The senate President, Ike Ekweremadu?

I stopped reading at this point and knew it was the usual Lagos-Ibadan junk journalism trying to use propaganda to add Saraki properties to the amiable and capable Ekweremadu. You will fail as usual.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by aleeyus(m): 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2018
What do you have nonsense?

by the way

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by veacea: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
I will read this thing later
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by aminho(m): 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
hmm so he is not even denying

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by HeyCorleone(m): 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2018
Look at the assets belonging to one man. It's funny.

You can't try such an Japan or China or any of those Asian countries that have a good economy and quality standard of living. It's only in Africa where the people are oppressed that they are oppressed the more.

Shame.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by jeroba1(m): 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2018
k
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by naijjaman(m): 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2018

Nigerian politicians and their creepy mentality.

Federal Government can seize any property acquired illegally all over the world.

I pray that yours will not be the last they will seize if you fail to explain how you got them.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Sarang(f): 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2018
smiley smiley

Please see my signature
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2018
What was Ekweremadu doing before joining politics? Where did he get the money to acquire those properties across the globe?

If he's found to be corrupt, he should face the music biko. angry

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by NigPatriot(m): 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2018
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Daviddson(m): 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2018
Can't we Nigerian youth - a million of us - mass on National Assembly one day and descend on it with anger by burning it down? I'm sure even if police were there they'll be surprised by the massive crowd that they'll just stand aloof whilst blaze brings down the edifice. That'll just be a first phase.
Then...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
Until there is a violent revolution no hope for nigeria

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by danielnike: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
hmmm
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
With the small family that he has, why acquire so many properties

17 Likes 1 Share

Nigeria, UK, Dubai, and US... Only one man !!!

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Sluvist(m): 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
Those thieves at it again, so peoples are no more ashamed of trying to defend their loot at all cost in nigeria.

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Timagex(m): 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
Some people just get mouth for this naija area!! Baba na u o grin

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by SoNature(m): 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2018
22 houses in a country where 70% of her population are not sure of 3-square meal?

Indeed, the heart of man is full of evil.

Do these politicians ever think of eternity?

Is the Bible Mr. Ekweremadu reads different from mine

And broke youths will be defending them embarassed

Smh

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by sincerlyyo(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2018
Hmm,
He's not denying that he didn't declare them, he's saying that the process is flawed.
Thief

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by cosmatika(m): 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
shocked Ekweremmadu is a thief, Fashola is a bigger thief, Amechi is d biggest thief. Dear Vegetable Buhari, pls probe and deal with these men in descending order and we'll consider ur 2nd tenure bid

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by faithfull18(f): 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
Take a look at my signature..
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by castrol180(m): 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
...this man has stashed away Nigeria wealth at high magnitude.

Ina man

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by ficons: 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2018

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by yankison(m): 8:07pm On Apr 10, 2018
Shut up there ,stupid man . Where have you seen any politician in a saner country having assets in Nigeria .. stupid bunch

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Germannig: 8:08pm On Apr 10, 2018
It's time to call a spade one: if Ekweremadu is corrupt he should face the law. But what about other corrupt leaders including Obasanjo, Tinubu Saraki, and Buhari himself? I support that criminals face justice regardless of their ethnicity and status, but I do not support selective justice. If Ekweremadu decamps to APC today, would he still be prosecuted persecuted?

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by noble71(m): 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2018
Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by Marxist001(m): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2018
Terminator1234g:
Greatest fellow Nigerians, President Muhammadu Buhari have put up the mandate to us to make Nigeria great again by declaring his intention for second term.
This man means we'll for Nigerians,
He entered office in 2015:
1. And since 2016,boko-haram became handicap to attack and other terrorist groups like ipob are now exterminated and their leader dead somewhere.
2. And now Looters are afraid of the name Nigeria.
3. And all is set for the payment of 5000 to all Nigerian youths.
4. And now bag of rice that was N22000 is N5000.
5. And now though dollar is high, it decreasing rate shows that in the next quarter of the year, 000.01 naira will be equal to 1 dollar and perhaps people have never been this rich in other regime compare to our great PMB regime.
6. Millions of employment everyday as those who were even sack are now getting more better jobs.
7. No strikes in our tertiary institutions again.
8. Great infrastructures now showing up every now and then both in the SS, SE, NE, NW, NC, SW... Just name it.
9. Improvement in public health care that even the president son and family are now attended to medically in Nigeria.
10. Nigeria is now written with integrity all overseas the world that if we can extend PMB tenure to 2023 and even add more years, a permanent seat in the UN is sure for us.
11. Industry are now working that we can now see self-driven cars on our highways.

Let support this man of change forever.
#ISaiBaba #ISaiChange
Written by an educated elite...

na God go punish u

Re: "Why FG Can’t Seize My Assets In Nigeria, US, UK, Dubai"- Ekweremadu Tells Court by ZombiePUNISHER: 8:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
Ekweremadu is a thief
He must receive the thief treatment

When PDP was in power who in APC did they harass like this... Nobody... Tinubu and co were free men

Apc please deal with this thief
22 properties... One person sad

Fayose Doubts Pdp’s Ability To Win Osun / Herdsmen Killed Over 756 In Two Years Under Jonathan – Presidency / Aragorn Femi Fani-Kayode 3rd Birthday Party Photos