Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! (13474 Views)

A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour / The Amazing Wealth Of Ibori / Picture Of Ibori- The Ogidigbodigbo Of Africa In The Klink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 10:57am On May 13, 2010
I'm repulsed by the unwieldy deployment of maximum state force to effect Ibori's arrest! After storming his hometown with a combined team of Army, Airforce, Police, SSS, and EFCC to arrest him dead or alive, the government further unleashed the INTERPOL on the accused. What for? Did he commit mass murder or terrorism? If 'money laundering' is now such a heinous crime (or in fact, accustation), then: Why hasn't Erastus Akingbola been arrested in London where he is hiding? Why hasn't Peter Odili been hounded with the armed forces? What of the Haliburton crooks? What of OBJ, Andy Uba, IBB, etc. etc. etc. Indeed, El-Rufai and Ribadu were declared wanted by EFCC and Code of Conduct Bureau for almost three years on allegations of corruption. Pray: Why did our useless government not unleash the Interpol on them while they hid in the US and UK as fugitives. In Ibori's case now they are using NATO, INTERPOL, CIA, KGB, MOSSAD, &M16 to track him down dead or alive. Why the double-standards

I can smell a whiff of personal vendatta in Ibori's case. The whole brouhaha and maximum force applied in persecuting him alone does not make sense to me at all. Why kill an ant with a sledge-hammer? He is not the biggest thief in Nigeria. What is sauce for the goose should also be sauce for the gander. I refuse to join the shallow chorus of the bland and gullible masses in 'rejoicing' that Nigeria's 'Arch-Enemy' has been defeated. Lets do away with this ridiculous, uncoordinated and jaundiced pattern of fighting corruption.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On May 13, 2010
pro01:

I'm repulsed by the unwieldy deployment of maximum state force to effect Ibori's arrest! What for? Did he commit mass murder or terrorism? If 'money laundering' is now such a heinous crime, then: Why hasn't Erastus Akingbola been arrested in London where he is hiding? Why hasn't Peter Odili been arrested? What of the Haliburton crooks? What of OBJ, Andy Uba, IBB, etc. etc. etc. Indeed, El-Rufai and Ribadu were declared wanted by EFCC and Code of Conduct Bureau for almost three years on allegations of corruption. Pray: Why did our useless government not unleash the Interpol on them while they hid in the US and UK as fugitives. In Ibori's case now they are using NATO, INTERPOL, CIA, KGB, MOSSAD, &M16 to track him down dead or alive. Why the double-standards

I can smell a whiff of personal vendatta in Ibori's case. The whole brouhaha and maximum force applied in persecuting him alone does not make sense to me at all. Why kill an ant with a sledge-hammer? He is not the biggest thief in Nigeria. What is sauce for the goose should also be sauce for the gander. I refuse to join the shallow chorus of the bland and gullible masses in 'rejoicing' that Nigeria's 'Arch-Enemy' has been defeated. Lets do away with this ridiculous, uncoordinated and jaundiced pattern of fighting corruption.

You are an utter slowpoke!

A thief is a thief and stop defending him by talking crap about who has not been arrested. Ediot!
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 11:06am On May 13, 2010
^^^

what do you expect - a man with iboris resources is bound to have prostitutes on NL
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by ogb5(m): 11:10am On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

A thief is a thief and stop defending him by talking crap about who has not been arrested. Ediot!

By your analogy a petty thief should be given maximum punishment. afterall a thief is a thief. so the lynching and burning to death of GSM thieves on the streets of Lagos is justifiable.

Instead of being objective in your reply you quickly result to insults. what a shame.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by desgiezd(m): 11:18am On May 13, 2010
This issue is so dear to your heart that you are repeating the same post here. Its so surprising that even Ibori who has been a thief all his life still has some people supporting him. If you are so appalled by the maximum force deployed for his arrest, why didnt you advice him to turn himself in instead of running from the law.

Are you sure you are really intimate with the happenings in this country, I guess not, otherwise you wouldnt be talking of arresting Odili.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 11:37am On May 13, 2010
ogb5:

By your analogy a petty thief should be given maximum punishment. afterall a thief is a thief. so the lynching and burning to death of GSM thieves on the streets of Lagos is justifiable.

Instead of being objective in your reply you quickly result to insults. what a shame.

Are you engaging your brain?

Where did you see maximum punishment in my statement? How did you arrive at the conclusion I think people should be lynched and burn for stealing mobiles?

And you would wonder why I insult you?
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by IbroYaya: 11:40am On May 13, 2010
You have to understand  Ibori case is different . He has  a case in London and that is why he has to be extradited to UK. Maybe his arrest was  even the work of the Metropolitan Police.
Akingbola is in Uk, and has no case with the international community. The only case he has is with Nigerian government and he is fighting that in court. So he is not  arrested, because he is seen as someone on exile.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 12:34pm On May 13, 2010
I hate what is happening in Nigeria today? How much did Ibori steal, compared to what IBB, OBJ, Lucky, Andy Uba, etc stole, that will warrant this? I abhor corruption, but selective justice will never go unpunished, by GOD. Let there be a blanket corruption war in Nigeria. These thieves are just too much in Nigeria.

Anyway, there is no point jubilating. JAMES IBORI IS OUT ON BAIL IN DUBAI. He is a free man again!.

That is the latest!
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by monkeyleg: 12:48pm On May 13, 2010
People who defend Ibori really do not understand whats gone on in Delta state.

In Waffi lingo, I wish say I fit take hand touch am.

He is a bloody thief, and they should deal with him with absolutely no mercy.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

You're manifestly incapable of objective reasoning - either because of mental disability or mental indolence, or tragically, both. As such, I cannot dignify the incoherent spittle emanating from the mouth of a dim-wit like you with a response. Go for rehab.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by blunt1990: 1:18pm On May 13, 2010
@pro01
I rarely respond to political debates on NL due to the level of tribalism and insult in the subforum, but I need to point a few issues to you for further investigation. There are some events that require drastic measures and Ibori's case called for such.

I will advise to get some info from any high ranking military person for clarification because I can not mention them. I wish to be a little bit evasive and I advise you bear with me.

In February 2010, some men in Nigeria set out over N60billion to topple Yar Ardua's Govt
One man contributed over N40billion for the coup ( I am sure you all know who he is- Enemy of State)
CIA was one of the first to hear about the event and they quickly called IBB
IBB successfully stopped the coup at eleventh hour with the help of so many retired Generals including Gusau
Unfortunately over 60% of Senator and House of Reps members were out of Abuja while some were in hiding on the proposed dates for the coup
Obama was later informed of the development hence he sent some reps to discuss with IBB on issues of his return to maintain stability in Nigeria

IBB came out weeks later to tell us the painful truth which you and I hate to hear, that youth can not lead Nigeria, I wish people will understand what he meant by that statement.

Pls, I am not supporting IBB but we dont know what he did for Nigeria
Thanks
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 13, 2010
blunt1990:

@pro01
I rarely respond to political debates on NL due to the level of tribalism and insult in the subforum, but I need to point a few issues to you for further investigation. There are some events that require drastic measures and Ibori's case called for such.

I will advise to get some info from any high ranking military person for clarification because I can not mention them. I wish to be a little bit evasive and I advise you bear with me.

In February 2010, some men in Nigeria set out over N60billion to topple Yar Ardua's Govt
One man contributed over N40billion for the coup ( I am sure you all know who he is- Enemy of State)
IBB successfully stopped the coup at eleventh hour with the help of so many retired Generals including Gusau
Unfortunately over 60% of Senator and House of Reps members were out of Abuja while some were in hiding on the proposed dates for the coup
Obama was later informed of the development hence he sent some reps to discuss with IBB on issues of his return to maintain stability in Nigeria

IBB came out weeks later to tell us the painful truth which you and I hate to hear, that youth can not lead Nigeria, I wish people will understand what he meant by that statement.

Thanks

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 13, 2010
Ibro Yaya:

You have to understand  Ibori case is different . He has  a case in London and that is why he has to be extradited to UK. Maybe his arrest was  even the work of the Metropolitan Police.
Akingbola is in Uk, and has no case with the international community. The only case he has is with Nigerian government and he is fighting that in court. So he is not  arrested, because he is seen as someone on exile.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with you. There is very little material difference between Ibori's case and Erastus Akingbola's. They are both accused of money laundering. In fact Akingbola's case is worse - both in the actual amounts allegedly stolen, and the number of counts in the charges. Besides there was also a court ruling in Ibori's restraining the EFCC from arresting Ibori until the substantive suit is determined. When did it become fashionable to choose which court order to obey and which to disregard? Whether the case is in London or Abuja is irrelevant. The fact is this: the use of the INTERPOL and (possibly) the tool of extradition in the case of Ibori raises one's eyebrow. Why? Is he the only person accused of money laundering? It would interest you to know that extradition is often employed for individuals wanted for heinous crimes such as terrorism, murder, crimes against humanity, genocide, etc. Thats why it was used for characters like Charles Taylor, Augusto Pinochet and so on.

For the avoidance of doubt, I must emphasize that I do not hold brief for Ibori. But I insist that the high-handed deployment of the full majesty of the state and full instrument of international (law) intruments to hunt him down is an aberration to say the very least. There are countless bigger criminals here and abroad who have been ignored. Why the overly intense emphasis on one 'inconsequential' man? I abhor selectivity in punishment. It is obvious that there are broader political considerations in this absurd manhunt, that is precisely what nauseates me. Besides, isn't it ridiculous that the UK government is acting more catholic than the pope? The alleged crime was committed in Nigeria, so upon what basis do they want to massacre Ibori in London? How is that their problem?

Ibori's arrest would have zero impact on our lives, and also on the war on corruption. If we do not institutionalize this so-called war on corruption, then we are wasting our time.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 1:39pm On May 13, 2010
pro01:

You're manifestly incapable of objective reasoning - either because of mental disability or mental indolence, or tragically, both. As such, I cannot dignify the incoherent spittle emanating from the mouth of a dim-wit like you with a response. Go for rehab.

You are slowpoke. Stop postulating moronic opinions. Shut up and just read if you can not make sense.

blunt1990:

@pro01

Thanks

Nigeria is just awash with rumours.

Do you have any facts?
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by sayso: 1:46pm On May 13, 2010
an what has your present governor done compared to Ibori?

1 Like

Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by monkeyleg: 1:48pm On May 13, 2010
@blunt1990,

Well, I am not sure what infor you are privy to, but if what you are saying is true, lets not forget at the said time we did not have a goverment in place, so not quite sure what they would have toppled.

On Ibb,

So it was alleged that he stopped a potential coup, and that then entitles him to contest the next election and brandish the youths "Not Capable of Ruling" Lets not forget that Ibori does not represent the ordinary intelligent youth, and by the way Nigerians should stop allowing themselves  be held hostage by the thoughts and fear of a millitary coup. lets not forget that the state of the country may not make it that easy for a millitary coup to be successful.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 13, 2010
@blunt1990

I cannot accord much (legal) weight to your 'revelation', especially as it relates to the instant case. If as you wildly claim, and as I can sensibly infer, the "enemy of the state" marshalled a colossal war-chest of N40b to topple the Yar'Adua government (which he was an influential part of), then why can't the government let the whole world know that he is wanted for treasonable felony? In that case it will be justified for the Nigerian Government to deploy all its instruments of coercion to hunt down him and his supposed conspirators. Being that nobody has accused him of such a serious crime against the state, I insist that the extent of force used in persecuting him is extremely unwarranted for the money laundering for which he has been so accused.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

You are slowpoke. Stop postulating moronic opinions. Shut up and just read if you can not make sense.

Nigeria is just awash with rumours.

Do you have any facts?

totally unnecessary
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 13, 2010
The arrest of Ibori shouldn't be viewed by many as a final solution to money laundering or other financial crime in the region and Nigeria. The EFCC should investigate him thoroughly and allow law to take its real course, not by making any attempt to victimize him from political angle. He should be made o answer necessary questions. He should not be subjected to political victimization and psychological torture. Again all similar offenses should be treated in the same vein; otherwise, EFCC will be creating a problem in this region of the country
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 3:04pm On May 13, 2010
Ibori is out on bail. He was left off the hook few hours ago.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 13, 2010
Our-turn:

Ibori is out on bail. He was left off the hook few hours ago.

keep deceiving yourself - you think its naija type bail cheesy cheesy

lets see your hero try to pull a fast one - its even the middle east he's at - if hes not careful na for dubai he go get 40 lashes for assaulting officers of the peace or some such cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Ourturn(m): 3:24pm On May 13, 2010
oyb:

keep deceiving yourself - you think its naija type bail cheesy cheesy

lets see your hero try to pull a fast one - its even the middle east he's at - if hes not careful na for dubai he go get 40 lashes for assaulting officers of the peace or some such cheesy cheesy cheesy

As you read this, Ibori is in house now in Dubai. You can bet anything you have and I will do same. Tommorow, you will read on all papers, when I am giving it to you now, and direct. I was the one who posted the first thread on Ibori, when they went to Oghara to arrest him, and he drove a small car by himself, and left his house unnoticed. Even his mistress/wife was still sleeping when he drove out, she just woke up later to hear that, he is in an undisclosed location. Nairaland immediately deleted it some few minutes after, and same the next I posted. The next day, all the Newspapers flooded their tabloids with it. Even when people were just reading it, Ibori was hiding in a mansion in Warri, before they later arranged his going to Cameroon with a private jet already waiting. The rest is history now.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by monkeyleg: 4:31pm On May 13, 2010
@ Our-Turn,

Since you know so much about this your towns man, please help us catch him. He is a big thief, and must be caught.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 4:37pm On May 13, 2010
adusol:

totally unnecessary

For someone to come here and defend some arsehole that stole billions that will lead to millions of people living in slums that are not salubrious, like the ones we saw on BBC, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

Only God knows how many people will live a miserable life from age 1 to 45 (which is the average age Nigerians die) because of the arseholes loot.

And all this foool can say is, they must arrest someone else first. Anuofia!
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

For someone to come here and defend some arsehole that stole billions that will lead to millions of people living in slums that are not salubrious, like the ones we saw on BBC, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

Only God knows how many people will live a miserable life from age 1 to 45 (which is the average age Nigerians die) because of the arseholes loot.

defending him is baseless but selective or vindictive justice justice is unaccepted.imo,all thievies are thievies.no one is sacred than the other.why would ibori be a suspect when peter odili will be regarded as a saint.let efcc go after all of them and send them to where they belong. selective persecution to settle poliltical scores is totally unaccepted
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by monkeyleg: 4:47pm On May 13, 2010
@Sagamite,

Please dont mind that Our-turn, we will gradually unearth him as either Ibori's lover or Boyfriend. What was he doing in Ibori's room early in the morning when he sneeked our of Oghara?

Ibori is a big thief and Thank God they have finally caught him.

Lives have been lost because of him, loads of people I know died from treatable illnesses cos there was no money to treat them, or the facilities were not there. IBORI is responsilbe for those deaths. HE has blood on his hands.

Lets not forget that for one who great responsibility and resources are given to, much is expected. IBORI FAILED, In Waffi lingo, e carry agbekpo.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Sagamite(m): 4:50pm On May 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

defending him is baseless but selective or vindictive justice justice is unaccepted.imo,all thievies are thievies.no one is sacred than the other.why would ibori be a suspect when peter odili will be regarded as a saint.let efcc go after all of them and send them to where they belong. selective persecution to settle poliltical scores is totally unaccepted

Selective justice might be wrong but I WILL NEVER defend an obvious thief.

I will only call for the arrest of the rest.

SELECTIVE JUSTICE against AN OBVIOUS CROOK to settle political scores is FINE BY ME.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

Selective justice might be wrong but I WILL NEVER defend an obvious thief.

I will only call for the arrest of the rest.

SELECTIVE JUSTICE against AN OBVIOUS CROOK to settle political scores is FINE BY ME.
i hope the rest of them would also be punish since there are enough evidence against them already.i also would propose an indepedent efcc that wont be hindered to perform its duties by presidential orders and a special court to prosecute corrupt public officers.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Crownvilla(m): 6:18pm On May 13, 2010
@pro01

Peter Odili is a free man because he obtained a perpetual court injunction restraining anybody and everybody from arresting him and/or charging him to court. In effect, he has everlating immunity and is above the law until the injunction is overturned.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 13, 2010
Sagamite:

your reckless use of words is baffling! You must be an incurable i.m.becile that is incabable of comprehension. Can you read? I doubt that. If you could, you'd have identified the exceedingly OBJECTIVE points i raised. . .which weren't about defending anybody. It's people like you that give Nigerian graduates a bad name. You cant read, you cant analyse, you can't comprehend, yet you'd claim to be educated. Maybe its a deeper problem. Maybe imbecility and crass tomfoolery runs in your genes. While I cannot pity your forebears, I certainly pity your (future) offspring. Cretin.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 13, 2010
Crownvilla:

@pro01

Peter Odili is a free man because he obtained a perpetual court injunction restraining anybody and everybody from arresting him and/or charging him to court. In effect, he has everlating immunity and is above the law until the injunction is overturned.

Thats exactly my point. Because Odili's wife is a serving justice at the Appeal Court it was easy for him to extract a kangaroo court order that is not even worth the paper it is printed on; now the man is freely enjoying his loot at his Abuja mansion. But my worry is that the government/EFCC 'chose' to obey that strange court order, while also 'choosing' to disobey that of Ibori's case. It may also interest you to know that there is a subsisting (albeit kangaroo) court order temporarily restraining the government and its agencies from arresting Ibori. The EFCC conveniently chose to 'overlook' this order even though it upholds that of Odili. Big question is WHY Why the selective justice? Why the double standards? In the peculiar case of Ibori, why the haste? Why the desperation? Why the unnecessary use of maximum combined federal forces & international instruments to hound this man? Critical thinkers would easily see that there is more to this bizarre drama than meets the eye. This whole thing is a throw back to the Obasanjo years when the dictator used the EFCC (sometimes in cohort with UK Met police) to hound, intimidate, and selectively persecute political enemies - all in the name of fighting corruption.
Re: In Defence Of Ibori: The Maximum Force Is Uncalled For! by bkbabe97: 7:21pm On May 13, 2010
@Pro01: As much as I would hate to agree with Sagamite, I've read so much about this Ibori dude in the last two hrs and I'll just love to say this: YOU, MY DEAR, ARE NOTHING BUT A slowpoke!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Diezani Refund 90 Billion Cnn Comfirm / Atiku: Tinubu Jostled To Be VP On Muslim-Muslim Ticket To Buhari / Declare Your Spouse, Children’s Assets, CSO Tells Tinubu, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.