Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July (4646 Views)

Facebook Owner Meta Plans To Create Twitter Rival / 6 Tips For Continuous Content Ideas On Social Media / Bloggers Using HTTP Will Regret It From July 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nanabaffour(m): 7:38am On Apr 13, 2018
Uganda plans to slap a new tax on social media users from July to raise revenue, which human rights activists denounced as another attempt by President Yoweri Museveni to stifle freedom of expression and quash dissent to his 32-year-rule.
The move is unlikely to go down well in a country where more than 40 percent of people use the internet. Data costs in Africa are already among the world’s highest, according to digital advocacy group World Wide Web Foundation.

Finance Minister Matia Kasaija told Reuters in a phone interview that the tax will charge each mobile phone subscriber using platforms such as WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook 200 Ugandan shillings ($0.027) per day. He dismissed concerns it could limit people’s use of the internet.

“We’re looking for money to maintain the security of the country and extend electricity so that you people can enjoy more of social media, more often, more frequently,” he said.
Human rights activists begged to differ, and some took to social media to criticise the proposal.

“It’s part of a wider attempt to curtail freedoms of expression,” Rosebell Kagumire, a human rights activist and blogger, said.

Of Uganda’s 41 million people, 23.6 million are mobile phone subscribers and 17 million use the internet.

Kasaija said the proposal, to be included in the budget for fiscal 2018/19 starting in July, had been sent to parliament this week for review after the cabinet approved it.
The government blocked access to Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp during the last general election in 2016, a move used by other entrenched rulers in Africa in response to grassroots movements against them.

Among other governments in East Africa moving to regulate internet use, Tanzania introduced a law last month requiring any citizen operating a blog or website to pay an annual licence fee of 1 million Tanzanian shillings ($440). ($1 = 3,690 Ugandan shillings, 2,261 Tanzanian shillings) (Additional reporting and writing by Omar Mohammed Editing by Maggie Fick and Hugh Lawson)

http://www.okaygh.com/uganda-plans-tax-social-media-use-july/
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by idrisolaide(m): 8:02am On Apr 13, 2018
Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently

Though Nothing Concern Me For The POST Because The Continent Named AFRICA is just full of shame.

Only in Africa Snake Swallow Millions
Only in Africa Monkey Cart Away Millions
Only in Africa Vigilant can stop SARS
Only in Africa police are proclaim to be your friends whereas they are Best of Evil you can have as one
Only in Africa Bail if Free, but you have to pay for Freedom
Only in Africa cow are more valuable than human
Only in Africa undertakers of the NORTH fund BH to kill its people all in the name of PROPAGANDA
Only in Africa BH can now advice northerners not to send girl child to school

Besides... Lemme comman Pack my bags and leave

6 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by eleojo23: 8:03am On Apr 13, 2018
Bubu be like...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by easyfem(m): 8:03am On Apr 13, 2018
As for me , I like that idea

Join bitclub advantage today and increase ur naira and bitcoin daily .... Check my signature for more details

1 Like

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Pchikaodili(m): 8:03am On Apr 13, 2018
OK
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by teebaxy(m): 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
That one no consign me , abeg is their any provision in our constitution Where a country can loan à leader from another country to type them....#Obama is jobless

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
WTF

1 Like

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by donestk(m): 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
Shittyhole

1 Like

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by lilfreezy: 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
I seriously regret been born in this continent of ours. It saddens me

8 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by chukkystar(m): 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
Most African leaders are useless

8 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by StPete: 8:04am On Apr 13, 2018
This is grossly insane

6 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nevamind: 8:05am On Apr 13, 2018
SH*THOLE

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by igbohausayoruba: 8:05am On Apr 13, 2018
Insane government

1 Like

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by akeentech(m): 8:07am On Apr 13, 2018
igbohausayoruba:
Insane government
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by DirewolfofStark(m): 8:11am On Apr 13, 2018
African leaders and stupidity. Whoever called Africa a shithole continent is some kind of a prophet.

3 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Cunninlinguist: 8:13am On Apr 13, 2018
teebaxy:
That one no consign me , abeg is their any provision in our constitution Where a country can loan à leader from another country to type them....#Obama is jobless
Obama's effort will be in vain.The people around him will see to that
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 13, 2018
grin
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by RZArecta2(m): 8:25am On Apr 13, 2018
The brain dead cretín Buhari will definitely like this idea grin

1 Like

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:28am On Apr 13, 2018
Nothing you won't hear in Africa
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 13, 2018
igbohausayoruba:
Insane government
like the one we have in Nigeria
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:49am On Apr 13, 2018
that's why African countries will continue to lag behind.....imagine the type of nonsense they can think of as part of development......so the social media is now their problem n fear........is 32 years not enough for one to be in power?yet you wnt to curtail the media with tax payment....

4 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nobody: 8:50am On Apr 13, 2018
SHITE.
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 13, 2018
Smh
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by MorataFC: 9:12am On Apr 13, 2018
We need it in Nigeria to checkmate those who post irrelevant topics and comments on social media
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by KillerBeauty(f): 9:17am On Apr 13, 2018
32 years in power My God

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by daannyy(m): 10:01am On Apr 13, 2018
Tax on the use of social media...Ovoko!!! are they that poor
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Awoofawo(m): 11:04am On Apr 13, 2018
Orisirisi dey happen for Africa o! Upon say pesin struggled to buy phone and then load am with data....pesin go still pay tax to use am.....oga o!

Shebi dem son collect VAT before on phone purchase and data....... cheesy

If work dey for country, who go even find time dey go Social Media self.....useless leaders!
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by Awoofawo(m): 11:09am On Apr 13, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:
Nothing you won't hear in Africa
when one thought nothing new to see or hear, Africa always spring's a surprise!
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by RMAsuquo(m): 11:38am On Apr 13, 2018
Tax on use of Social Media ....!

All is well.. ...long live Africa
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by pedrilo: 6:49pm On Apr 13, 2018
KillerBeauty:
32 years in power My God
the man has bn ruling uganda two years b4 I was born. Holy Moses!
Re: Uganda Plans Tax On Social Media Use From July by sparkle10(m): 9:22pm On Apr 13, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naijaloaded .com Has Been redeemed / If You Answer This IQ Test, Then You Can Be A Web Developer & A Genius / Opera Mobile News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.