Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,101 members, 7,807,308 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo (3343 Views)

Yorubas Are Moors / Study Shows Igbos & Yoruba Are 99.9% Genetically Similar / Yoruba Are 99% Genetically Identical To Igbos, Akan and Gaa-Adangbe - Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Rosskii: 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2018
Study Finds that Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo

Four of the major coastal ethnic groups of Western Africa: the Yoruba, Igbo, Akan and the Gaa-Adangbe are dissimilar at a glance and evidently geographic neighbours, but very closely related, when examined at the genetic level.

Several studies have been employed over the years, with findings showing genetic similarity between differing regional ethnic groups. One in particular, conducted by Adebowale Adeyemo, Guanjie Chen, Yuanxiu Chen, the National Human Genome Centre and Howard University, and Charles Rotimi of the University of Ibadan, provided results indicating the genetic similarities between the four major West African ethnic groups.

Their findings further showed surprising genetic variance within groups, but almost none across groups, similar to the closeness of human genetics across races, showing more range within than without.

According to this landmark study, there was a 99.9 percent within-population variance, the between-population variance was less than 0.1 percent. This means that Yorubas, Igbos, Gaa and Akan are 99.9 percent similar, while within each of the groups there are variations/differences between individuals as high as 99 percent i.e. One Igbo may be 99 percent genetically different from another Igbo person, or one Yoruba person to another.

It is important to remember that these groups were not initially split by national borders; prior to the European division of the continent, these ethnic peoples traded, migrated and wedded as the times permitted, allowing apparent regional and national mixtures that remain evident in modern day genetic analyses of some Yoruba and Igbo individuals....

Also worthy of note is the shared Volta-Niger root languages, Yoruba and Igbo languages belong to the same family (YEAI branch), showing the common start of the diverse languages spoken by these ethnicities.

Consequently, barring the inclusion of culture, ethnic affiliation and nationality, it could be said that the the Yorubas, the Igbos, the Akans and the Gaa-Adangbes are but ONE people spread over a wide area with different ways of life. Thus, discrediting any claim of a unique Yoruba “race” or a genetically insured Igbo ethnicity often employed by politicians and traditional rulers in rhetorics and propaganda messages.

A body does not fight itself. These kinds of research serve as a balm to the much divided heart of the ethnically-concerned West African, and to the African at large: one root, many branches; united by blood if not spirit.

http://venturesafrica.com/those-that-were-crushed-a-visual-commentary-on-nigerias-political-landscape-by-artist-muyiwa-akinwolere/
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by IdeyFindWife: 6:19pm On Apr 13, 2018
Where do they get these studies from anyway? From the other one the other day yarning fantastic fantasies about Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain being a descendant of prophet Muhammad tp this one now undecided

You're trying to start an e-war out here, right?

E-tribalists will have orgasms just designing you with jabs grin

It's loading.. just wait for it!
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Rosskii: 6:20pm On Apr 13, 2018
Ear

Etí (Yorùbá): Nti (Igbo)

Divination

Ifá (Yorùbá): Afa (Igbo)

House

Ilé (Yorùbá): Ulọ (Igbo)

Elephant

Erin (Yorùbá): Enyi (Igbo)

Barrenness

Agan (Yoruba): Aga (Igbo)

Nose

Imú (Yorùbá): Imi (Igbo)

Backyard

Abala (Yoruba): Mbala (Igbo)

Calabash

Igba (Yoruba): Agba (Igbo)

Mouth

Ẹnu (Yorùbá): Ọnu (Igbo)

Goat

Ewure (Yoruba): Ewu (Igbo)

Water

Omi (Yoruba): Mmiri (Igbo)

Thread

Owu (Yoruba): Owu (Igbo)

Fever

Iba (Yoruba): Iba (Igbo)

Masquerade

Egúngún (Yorùbá): Egwugwu (Igbo)

What?

Kini (Yoruba) : Gini (Igbo)

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Customer80: 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2018
We aren't related bro, we different people with different ideology and orientation

4 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by BankeSmalls(f): 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2018
I doubt that.

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2018
May the curse of Amadioha be with all the generations of all who participated in this study.

6 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Rosskii: 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2018
Customer80:
We aren't related bro, we different people with different ideology and orientation

That's as dumb as saying that South Koreans and North Koreans are ''not related'' because one is capitalist and liberal while the other is communist and conservative.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Customer80: 6:32pm On Apr 13, 2018
Rosskii:

That's as dumb as saying that South Koreans and North Koreans are ''not related'' because one is capitalist and liberal while the other is communist and conservative.
wrong scenario bro, Igbo and Yoruba are not related, we are just different in all shades

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by nkwuocha: 6:33pm On Apr 13, 2018
This is the part where I say "May God forbid "

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by mercyville: 6:46pm On Apr 13, 2018
Research not accurate.Yoruba built empire,Igbos were slaves... even to the Ijaw minority..
Yoruba were never naked,Igbos were still learning how to wear clothes until 1921.
Igbos are cannibals,Yorubas detest cannibals.
White people are rushing and begging to marry Yoruba because of their neatness and attractiveness but they are running from Igbo.
Igbos do not always have their bath for seven days,they always say it is their culture,Yorubas detest that kind of horrible culture.
Igbos drink funeral wate,they claim it is their culture,what horrible culture! but Yorubas drink clean,pure and treated water.
Yorubas are mostly saints,Igbos are naturally criminals.
Igbos are known for skull mining in readiness for their reknown skull eating,Yorubas detest this culture.
Yorubas developed their big SW,Igbos cannot develop their tiny brown roofed,red mudded SE aka Igbo land.
Igbos have a peculiar distinct stinking,smelly,dirty fragrance that only a strong perfume can minimise but Yoruba are distinctly perfumed,reason white people easily fall in love with Yorubas.
Igbos have snail line-like marks called ichi meant for the lily livered only while Yoruba have warrior marks meant only for the warriors.
Igbos are generally weaklings,Yorubas are generally warriors.Ask Ojukugrin
Taaarh..you this Igbo amala sorry amaka grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Tohzara(m): 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2018
I wish all this hate will just go away. It's absolutely irrational.

Thanks for this, Rosskii.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Strikethem: 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2018
This op self. Related ko,
Yorubas don't wake their parents with sliding kick.

Yorubas don't eat human flesh.

Yorubas don't kill their parents for ritual purpose.

Yorubas don't carry drugs and face firing squads if Indonesia.

Yorubas don't live in the bush.

Yorubas don't have victim mentality.

Yorubas don't have the L and R factors like ragos and lent(rent).

Yorubas don't do baby factory business.

Yoruba don't sell children just to buy akpu.

Yorubas don't eat food that smells from afar.

Yorubas don't eat laterine soup that looks like sick people watery poo.

Yorubas don't have body odour.

Yoruba women don't have yamleg.

Yorubas don't beat chest and at the end run away from battle.

Yoruba don't shout when things do not favour them.

Yorubas don't drink human urine.

Yorubas don't live their father's land in tattered and claiming to develop USA, Indonesia, India and ragos.

Yorubas don't post another man's house and claim it as his own of which they sleep in one 4 by 4 shops.

So you see we can't be related to these people that own the trait above.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by davidnazee: 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2018
I believe this research. Yoruba and Igbo are same people... useless people.

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by blacq2009(m): 8:17pm On Apr 13, 2018
The Akan and ga adangbe of present day Ghana?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by HigherEd: 4:31pm On Apr 17, 2018
Lalasticlala come and see o. This thread go reach like ten pages grin

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by HigherEd: 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2018
Rosskii:
Ear

Etí (Yorùbá): Nti (Igbo)

Divination

Ifá (Yorùbá): Afa (Igbo)

House

Ilé (Yorùbá): Ulọ (Igbo)

Elephant

Erin (Yorùbá): Enyi (Igbo)

Barrenness

Agan (Yoruba): Aga (Igbo)

Nose

Imú (Yorùbá): Imi (Igbo)

Backyard

Abala (Yoruba): Mbala (Igbo)

Calabash

Igba (Yoruba): Agba (Igbo)

Mouth

Ẹnu (Yorùbá): Ọnu (Igbo)

Goat

Ewure (Yoruba): Ewu (Igbo)

Water

Omi (Yoruba): Mmiri (Igbo)

Thread

Owu (Yoruba): Owu (Igbo)

Fever

Iba (Yoruba): Iba (Igbo)

Masquerade

Egúngún (Yorùbá): Egwugwu (Igbo)

What?

Kini (Yoruba) : Gini (Igbo)
I'm Yoruba and I love Igbos and I'm sure there are numerous Igbo's who also love Yorubas. I hope one day we can rise above hate and see our differences as beautiful diversity and not a reason to castigate one another.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Munzy14(m): 9:20pm On May 23, 2018
E war loading....
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by SouthEastFacts: 8:57pm On May 28, 2018
mercyville:
Research not accurate.Yoruba built empire,Igbos were slaves... even to the Ijaw minority..
Yoruba were never naked,Igbos were still learning how to wear clothes until 1921.
Igbos are cannibals,Yorubas detest cannibals.
White people are rushing and begging to marry Yoruba because of their neatness and attractiveness but they are running from Igbo.
Igbos do not always have their bath for seven days,they always say it is their culture,Yorubas detest that kind of horrible culture.
Igbos drink funeral wate,they claim it is their culture,what horrible culture! but Yorubas drink clean,pure and treated water.
Yorubas are mostly saints,Igbos are naturally criminals.
Igbos are known for skull mining in readiness for their reknown skull eating,Yorubas detest this culture.
Yorubas developed their big SW,Igbos cannot develop their tiny brown roofed,red mudded SE aka Igbo land.
Igbos have a peculiar distinct stinking,smelly,dirty fragrance that only a strong perfume can minimise but Yoruba are distinctly perfumed,reason white people easily fall in love with Yorubas.
Igbos have snail line-like marks called ichi meant for the lily livered only while Yoruba have warrior marks meant only for the warriors.
Igbos are generally weaklings,Yorubas are generally warriors.Ask Ojukugrin
Taaarh..you this Igbo amala sorry amaka grin
Paranoia just made you to define the yoruba race. The funniest thing is that you don't even know the name of your tribe, you are answering a name the Hausas gave to you. Tell me the original name of your people and I would start taking you fools serious.
#Slaves

3 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by SlayerForever: 7:52pm On May 29, 2018
You know politics is power and power is a like a two edged sword. I have been around the Igbo,Yoruba and the Akans of Ghana. If you're very intuitive you'll pick up similarities across board in looks and language. The language part is almost freakish because the 3 languages asides the similar sounding words and intonation share very similar word arrangement,I mean,look at the Igbo-Igala-Yoruba cluster for example. It feels like one language that grows more and more dissimilar as the distance increases from a set point. I'm thinking Akan is the language at the furthest end in this instance. How I think this came to be. Before the coming of Eri,Oduduwa et al,the land wasn't empty. A great prehistoric people,probably ONE race or closely related different races,lived across the area known as SE and SW Nigeria,Togo,Ghana and probably to the east into the Cameroons. They looked alike(most likely very dark I must say). The language would have showed growing variance as one moved further along but ultimately it would have been of one origin. Due to the similarities I reckon this was what the landscape looked like before history began with the coming of Eri,Oduduwa et al and the narrative changed forever.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by romme2u: 1:59am On May 31, 2018
shocked

hmmm interesting

HigherEd:
Lalasticlala come and see o. This thread go reach like ten pages grin

more like 30 plus.............let the war begin
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by oooduancalmdown: 11:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
[s]
SlayerForever:
You know politics is power and power is a like a two edged sword. I have been around the Igbo,Yoruba and the Akans of Ghana. If you're very intuitive you'll pick up similarities across board in looks and language. The language part is almost freakish because the 3 languages asides the similar sounding words and intonation share very similar word arrangement,I mean,look at the Igbo-Igala-Yoruba cluster for example. It feels like one language that grows more and more dissimilar as the distance increases from a set point. I'm thinking Akan is the language at the furthest end in this instance. How I think this came to be. Before the coming of Eri,Oduduwa et al,the land wasn't empty. A great prehistoric people,probably ONE race or closely related different races,lived across the area known as SE and SW Nigeria,Togo,Ghana and probably to the east into the Cameroons. They looked alike(most likely very dark I must say). The language would have showed growing variance as one moved further along but ultimately it would have been of one origin. Due to the similarities I reckon this was what the landscape looked like before history began with the coming of Eri,Oduduwa et al and the narrative changed forever.
[/s]
I am Yoruba and I don't share any similarity with IBO people. We don't even look alike. I can differentiate an IBO from Yoruba by just looking at their face.

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by SlayerForever: 11:07pm On Jun 01, 2018
[s]
oooduancalmdown:

I am Yoruba and I don't share any similarity with IBO people. We don't even look alike. I can differentiate an IBO from Yoruba by just looking at their face.
[/s]

Cool. Now F off.

2 Likes

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by oooduancalmdown: 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2018
SlayerForever:

Cool. Now F off.
Flat-head, I just told you the truth

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by eddy1977(m): 3:48am On Jun 05, 2018
Peace please.

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by OlaoChi: 9:47pm On Jun 05, 2018
SlayerForever:
you are right the sub-race starts from the west with the Akan and ends at the east with the igbos.

But this separation didn't start with eri or Odùduwà but long before them.
Also both Eri and Odùduwà are local to this region.
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by SlayerForever: 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
OlaoChi:
you are right the sub-race starts from the west with the Akan and ends at the east with the igbos.

But this separation didn't start with eri or Odùduwà but long before them.
Also both Eri and Odùduwà are local to this region.

Okay. On your first point: Great.

However,on the second,I'm not so sure. I'm inclined to believe it was ONE people at a much more earlier prehistoric period. I felt history changed when the Eri,Oduduwa et al came into the picture but it may be earlier as you posited,meaning something else brought a split/divergence in their combined history.

On the third,Eri is?! Okay.
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by Restroom: 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
Now I see why these two major ethnic group have an unnatural craving for money rituals...and go the same length to acquire quick wealth even though it means shedding blooding...

From the ritual killing nature of these two tribes, I can agree with studies above!

They have the same base instincts!
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by OlaoChi: 11:13pm On Jun 06, 2018
SlayerForever:

Okay. On your first point: Great.

However,on the second,I'm not so sure. I'm inclined to believe it was ONE people at a much more earlier prehistoric period. I felt history changed when the Eri,Oduduwa et al came into the picture but it may be earlier as you posited,meaning something else brought a split/divergence in their combined history.

On the third,Eri is?! Okay.
. It is definitely earlier. In fact the igala and the Yoruba were the last to split but that was far earlier than Odùduwà. Odùduwà is not a cultural figure but a political figure over an already existing cultural community. I think Orunmila is more cultural.
Eri to igbos is both cultural and political but still after the split

Anyway what do I know, I'm just expressing my opinion
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by SlayerForever: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2018
OlaoChi:
. It is definitely earlier. In fact the igala and the Yoruba were the last to split but that was far earlier than Odùduwà. Odùduwà is not a cultural figure but a political figure over an already existing cultural community. I think Orunmila is more cultural.
Eri to igbos is both cultural and political but still after the split

Anyway what do I know, I'm just expressing my opinion

You did sound like you were speaking on authority.

Well,it's all cool and interesting to me.
Re: Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo by OlaoChi: 11:48pm On Jun 06, 2018
SlayerForever:

You did sound like you were speaking on authority.

Well,it's all cool and interesting to me.
. Well I was speaking based on what I've researched so far.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn Igbo (or Yoruba) / Why Do People Change Their Names? / EXPLOSIVE: Lagos Is Not Yoruba Land, Says Oba Of Lagos, Oba Akiolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.