Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (154822 Views)

Remove Thermostat From New Car / Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Nobody: 1:07am On Apr 21, 2015
sandunruki:
I have Corolla AE100 96auto. I found that Thermostat was removed by previous mechanic. 3 years im driving without thermostat. Most of the times temperature meter readings below the half line. After long drive it reach to the half level.

I live in Sri Lanka and my mechanic instruct me to install new thermostat. Now its always at the half line of the temperature meter. But i found some Radiator leakage and went for radiator mechanic. He advise me to remove the Thermostat valve immediately. He said its not needed the country like us.

So i told this incident to my USA friend Handawala and he instruct me to keep the thermostat and find a good Radiator guy.

I surf this thread and learn lots of things about Thermostat. Thanx all for your valuable comments.

Even if you leave in Alaska or Australia, your engine needs a thermostat.

The job of a thermostat is to regulate water through the cooling system. It opens and closes base don temperature.

There are different thermostats with different temperatures settings available in the market place for most cars. On my Austin I can go from a 160 degree thermo to 210 degree based on how my engine is tuned.

But you need a thermo in the system.

Hope you're enjoying Sri Lanka, you should share some pictures of the car scene out there.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by MIB1(m): 1:54am On Apr 21, 2015
CityNG:

Even if you leave in Alaska or Australia, your engine needs a thermostat.

The job of a thermostat is to regulate water through the cooling system. It opens and closes base don temperature.

There are different thermostats with different temperatures settings available in the market place for most cars. On my Austin I can go from a 160 degree thermo to 210 degree based on how my engine is tuned.

But you need a thermo in the system.

Hope you're enjoying Sri Lanka, you should share some pictures of the car scene out there.

please what's the best thermostat temp rating for Nigeria.. Thanks
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Nobody: 2:50am On Apr 21, 2015
MIB1:

I frankly don't know unless I do research but I think you should do that because you know you car and it's specs.

I can tell you that our SUV that was shipped in from SoCal has the same thermostat and it hasn't missed a beat.

Nigeria is not that much different from most climates which has summer temperatures.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by MIB1(m): 7:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
CityNG:

I frankly don't know unless I do research but I think you should do that because you know you car and it's specs.

I can tell you that our SUV that was shipped in from SoCal has the same thermostat and it hasn't missed a beat.

Nigeria is not that much different from most climates which has summer temperatures.

A useless kazeem took out mine without telling me when he was replacing a bad radiator on the car. So I need to get another , its a 2003 optima i4
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by stephcruse(m): 1:00am On Apr 23, 2015
Pls carry out cooling test, and test your thermostat if is still good,if is bad change it.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by FlyboyZee: 6:57am On Apr 23, 2015
kennethse:
Dear Nlander, I live in the caribbean and I was advised by my machinic to remove my thermostst because of the climate, he says thermostats were designed only for temperate countries.
Tell your mechanic to go remove the thermostat in his fridge, pressing iron or A/C at home. If he objects, ask him: Why not? That's how I handle thermostat-removal-advising-mechanics. It works perfectly all the time. After then, I now explain to them that almost every cooling system uses a thermostat to regulate it's cooling activities. The thermostat is a regulator and not the cooling device itself.

Please, do remember to check your water pump too as you carry out other advices that have been given above..
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by FlyboyZee: 7:01am On Apr 23, 2015
ladiesluv4:
I just changed my engine ( Toyota Camry 2001v6) and since it has been overheating. My mechanic already removed the thermostat when he fixed the engine. I have washed the radiator, changed the radiator cap but still the same. When it overheats the temp gauge wild have gone beyond the half mark, the coolant reservoir would have gone pass the max limit, even filling the container and boiling seriously. Pls need expert advise. Thanks
Have you checked the water pump to see if it is working?
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by JhaayYoung: 11:14pm On Apr 25, 2015
Please where do I buy a thermostat. All this Kazeem around see me like a too know when I tell them I want to get a thermostat and fix it back, my radiator is double celled. Please is there a recommended thermostat for a double cell radiator?
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by oNj(m): 10:48am On May 05, 2015
Just discovered my radiator fan runs non-stop... 2009 Corolla.
How / where can I get it refitted please (in Abj)
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by lukaino(m): 1:09pm On May 05, 2015
Thank you very much for this enlightenment. i experienced overheating on my chevrolet Optra three months back. The solution which kazeem preferred was to connect the connection of the fans to run directly. i have been having series of issues which i now know results from that connection. I am going back to them to have that connection reversed back to factory setting. Ignorance is a very bad thing.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Macmilla(m): 5:22pm On May 15, 2015
FlyboyZee:

Have you checked the water pump to see if it is working?
Please how do I check the pump? A DIY procedure will be appreciated.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by auhanson(m): 12:36am On May 17, 2015
aeu1:
^^Ikenna & co, thanks for your interest. Please assist me. Where can I buy a good thermostat for 1999 Toyota Corolla. Can you find a place in Abuja or elsewhere cos here in Uyo, I dont know where to get it. Kindly respond

Come to Ikoku in Port Harcourt and get your thermostat
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by auhanson(m): 1:31pm On May 17, 2015
MIB1:

Based on the rating of your engine, for Benzs and Bmws is between 60 to 80 degrees. Predominantly folks don't go below 71 and 87 degrees thermostat here, except, you are looking for trouble. I think same goes for the Jap mobiles, else i stand to be corrected.

If you use 71 to 80 degrees thermo here, you are perfectly in order, you would never experience overheating nor run your engine rich nor burn top gasket.

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by auhanson(m): 1:42pm On May 17, 2015
Macmilla:

Please how do I check the pump? A DIY procedure will be appreciated.

Start your engine cold and check your Your water pump by listening and observing it attentively to make sure it spins freely with no lateral motion or grinding noises[b][/b]
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Macmilla(m): 2:05pm On May 17, 2015
auhanson:

Start your engine cold and check your Your water pump by listening and observing it attentively to make sure it spins freely with no lateral motion or grinding noises[b][/b]
I drive a honda accord 2001 4cyl. Where is the pump located?
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Originalsly: 2:31pm On May 17, 2015
Macmilla:

I drive a honda accord 2001 4cyl. Where is the pump located?
Go to You Tube. @Topic....why would Toyota or whichever go through added expense in cost and time and complication to add useless thermostats to the millions of cars they sell to hot weather regions? After all the years of research and production don't they know it's useless?....or they just want to dash something extra?...or make work for these mackanics? "My mehanic is smarter than Toyota"....I pity some people. Great job to those sharing knowledge to those with open minds. My addition to the "check list" is to check the hoses first.....may be blocked or too worn. Not a mechanic.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by honmusa(m): 3:24am On May 19, 2015
lukaino:
Thank you very much for this enlightenment. i experienced overheating on my chevrolet Optra three months back. The solution which kazeem preferred was to connect the connection of the fans to run directly. i have been having series of issues which i now know results from that connection. I am going back to them to have that connection reversed back to factory setting. Ignorance is a very bad thing.
call autologic @ 08061166316 to revert your fan connection to factory default.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Olaposij(m): 4:00am On May 19, 2015
auhanson:

Based on the rating of your engine, for Benzs and Bmws is between 60 to 80 degrees. Predominantly folks don't go below 71 and 85 degrees thermostat here, except, you are looking for trouble. I think same goes for the Jap mobiles, else i stand to be corrected.

If you use 71 to 80 degrees thermo here, you are perfectly in order, you would never experience overheating nor run your engine rich nor burn top gasket.

I drive a 2001 BMW 5 series.. Mechanic advises me to remove the thermostat and install a "71" degrees thermostat.. despite the fact that the car does not do overheating..
What is the usual "follow come" thermostat that comes with European Cars??
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by MIB1(m): 9:00pm On May 19, 2015
auhanson:

Based on the rating of your engine, for Benzs and Bmws is between 60 to 80 degrees. Predominantly folks don't go below 71 and 85 degrees thermostat here, except, you are looking for trouble. I think same goes for the Jap mobiles, else i stand to be corrected.

Thanks a lot , one more Q pls, which of the hoses should I remove to install the thermo, is it the one that goes into the upper part of the radiator or the one that goes into the lower part??...
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by emperoracro(m): 2:53pm On May 30, 2015
I hate dealing with Nigerian Mechanics, in short most Artisans in Nigeria behave like illiterates, and they can argue!
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by kemkol(f): 3:10pm On May 30, 2015
Hmmmm I don't know where to start
Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this, may God enrich you greatly.
I have a Volkswagen LT 28 I just purchased recently (Tokunbo), My mechanic removed the thermostat, after about two months, I went for full servicing, that's when the problem started, my bus now consumes 4 Litre of engine oil within 400km, and consumes close to a litre of diesel in one km. When I called d mec who serviced it, he said I sud change d brand of engine oil I was using from Golden super to Sea horse, which I did, and still the problem remained, jus last week he advised me to ring the engine, and another much said I should change d engine!
So with all this issues I started making research about this conditions, I found out that
1) The removal of thermostat could have triggered the engine running at uncontrolled temperature, and that can make d engine oil dry up
2) The grade of engine oil am using den was SAE 40 which is light, that I Should be using 20W50 which is thicker
So I got an engine oil 20W50 and poured it into d engine, the vehicle has covered close to 300km now and no engine oil lost!
Have called my much to come and refix my thermostat, after that I will clean d radiator.
pls am I on the right track?
and pls while cleaning the radiator, do I have to remove d coolant fluid inside? if yes, where can I get another cool and fluid?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by empron(m): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2015
Siena:
Removing the thermostat from any car isn't a good idea. It simply masks an underlying issue. Have the system pressure tested - an overheating engine could be caused by a myriad of problems - blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head / block, thermostat stuck in the shut position, a clogged radiator, inoperative cooling fan or even the wrong fuel / spark plug grade.

Removing the thermostat will simply make the engine over cool, which is bad. It will increase fuel consumption, as the engine CTS (coolant temperature sensor) will assume the engine's not up to normal operating temperature, and simply inject more fuel in. This will cause premature engine wear, as the excess fuel will wash the oil from the cylinder bores (bore wash).

Get your car checked by a competent engineer, and I don't mean the masquerades by the roadside, who don't know one end of a spanner from the other. Best of luck.
nice one
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by chinebu(m): 8:44am On Aug 02, 2015
My brothers, removing the thermostat might not be the best thing to do but it worked for me. I lived outside Nigeria and I bought a car which two of my friends also bought and sent to Nigeria for use.
My two friends happens to send their own to Nigeria first before I sent mine. Their brothers collected the cars from lagos enroute to the east.
The two vehicles did not get to Onitsha on their own. The cars were towed half way into the journey why?
The top cylinders surrendered to overheating and one of the car was severely damaged that made him to change the engine.

Now when I finally brought mine to Naija, my friends advised me to remove the thermostat because it is the cause of their problems in the first place and so I did remove my thermostat.

I drove the car to the east without any issues at all. I have travelled through and fro the east several times with this car without issues.

It has been up to three years now and this car is still in Percy working condition and that is why I said it worked for me. My friends have since abandoned their own car since because one issue or the other which always arise ad a result of this thermostat problem.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 03, 2015
chinebu:
My brothers, removing the thermostat might not be the best thing to do but it worked for me. I lived outside Nigeria and I bought a car which two of my friends also bought and sent to Nigeria for use.
My two friends happens to send their own to Nigeria first before I sent mine. Their brothers collected the cars from lagos enroute to the east.
The two vehicles did not get to Onitsha on their own. The cars were towed half way into the journey why?
The top cylinders surrendered to overheating and one of the car was severely damaged that made him to change the engine.

Now when I finally brought mine to Naija, my friends advised me to remove the thermostat because it is the cause of their problems in the first place and so I did remove my thermostat.

I drove the car to the east without any issues at all. I have travelled through and fro the east several times with this car without issues.

It has been up to three years now and this car is still in Percy working condition and that is why I said it worked for me. My friends have since abandoned their own car since because one issue or the other which always arise ad a result of this thermostat problem.

Congrats it seemed to work for you, your ultimate decision which is placed above the decision of the experts who had designed hundreds of cars over the decade who still designed your car.
Any Kazeem planning to remove my thermostat should be ready for a long tough legal battle.
I've driven my cars and in fact its my old Carina ii which was tropicallized that experienced over heating. My subsequent and current cars don't experience such. In fact, I've driven my former truck an Infiniti QX4 up north east Nigeria and back at speeds in excess of 170km/he in very terribly hot dry dusty environment and even had to do some offroading (bad roads along Gombe -Yola roads in those days) yet it never overheated for once and its thermostat was intact, Fan was fasctory, Radiator 1 Cell. Abegi make I hear word for this thermostat delete syndrome.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by DorlanEyes: 5:53pm On May 10, 2017
Hi everyone, am pretty new in here.
i have gone through the thread and i quite appreciate the contributions.

I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry and i notice the water level in the radiator usually goes down while the level in the reservoir increases beyond the normal level. Lately, i have to check the water level before driving out. Please note that no leakages have been noted in the radiator. The thermostat hasn't been removed and the radiator is single cell.

Mechanic 1 said i should change the single cell radiator to double cell;
Mechanic 2 said i should change the radiator cap;
Mechanic 3 said the top gasket is flat and should be changed

I will appreciate some advice around it as i'm not a fan of trial and error.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On May 10, 2017
DorlanEyes:
Hi everyone, am pretty new in here.
i have gone through the thread and i quite appreciate the contributions.

I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry and i notice the water level in the radiator usually goes down while the level in the reservoir increases beyond the normal level. Lately, i have to check the water level before driving out. Please note that no leakages have been noted in the radiator. The thermostat hasn't been removed and the radiator is single cell.

Mechanic 1 said i should change the single cell radiator to double cell;
Mechanic 2 said i should change the radiator cap;
Mechanic 3 said the top gasket is flat and should be changed

I will appreciate some advice around it as i'm not a fan of trial and error.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses
Try Mechanic two but replace with a brand new one, try that for a month if no change, go do clear test to see if option 3 is what you need but never ever try option one in fact that mechanic 1 should be locked up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by pufframmy: 10:49pm On May 10, 2017
those this apply for golf 3

i have same problem
honmusa:

call autologic @ 08061166316 to revert your fan connection to factory default.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by popplm(m): 8:34am On May 11, 2017
My avensis 2003 sluggish to move when the engine is hot even when i try to accelerate it stall sometimes and i notice this started after its thermostat removed and fan put to direct operation by my kazeem. Pls can the removed thermostat caused it and if yes how do i get my thermostat fixed back. I am from osun state.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by erico2k2(m): 12:06pm On May 11, 2017
popplm:
My avensis 2003 sluggish to move when the engine is hot even when i try to accelerate it stall sometimes and i notice this started after its thermostat removed and fan put to direct operation by my kazeem. Pls can the removed thermostat caused it and if yes how do i get my thermostat fixed back. I am from osun state.
Take it to a new technician and reverse all that was done.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by honmusa(m): 6:37pm On May 11, 2017
popplm:
contact Opeyemi @ 07033583271.he is in ife ,he will help you connect your fan to default and thermostat as well.
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by popplm(m): 7:32pm On May 11, 2017
honmusa:

contact Opeyemi @ 07033583271.he is in ife ,he will help you connect your fan to default and thermostat as well.
thanks I will call him as I am also in Ife
Re: Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? by almsofgold: 8:15pm On May 12, 2017
kemkol:
Hmmmm I don't know where to start
Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this, may God enrich you greatly.
I have a Volkswagen LT 28 I just purchased recently (Tokunbo), My mechanic removed the thermostat, after about two months, I went for full servicing, that's when the problem started, my bus now consumes 4 Litre of engine oil within 400km, and consumes close to a litre of diesel in one km. When I called d mec who serviced it, he said I sud change d brand of engine oil I was using from Golden super to Sea horse, which I did, and still the problem remained, jus last week he advised me to ring the engine, and another much said I should change d engine!
So with all this issues I started making research about this conditions, I found out that
1) The removal of thermostat could have triggered the engine running at uncontrolled temperature, and that can make d engine oil dry up
2) The grade of engine oil am using den was SAE 40 which is light, that I Should be using 20W50 which is thicker
So I got an engine oil 20W50 and poured it into d engine, the vehicle has covered close to 300km now and no engine oil lost!
Have called my much to come and refix my thermostat, after that I will clean d radiator.
pls am I on the right track?
and pls while cleaning the radiator, do I have to remove d coolant fluid inside? if yes, where can I get another cool and fluid?
Thanks
I also drive an Lt 28 truck. the main idea of removing the thermostat is to make the truck problematic, so that you can be going back to remedy a problem caused by them. they're satanic people. the last engine I replaced had the thermostat removed.i really shouted at the wicked mechanic to replace it cause I know the consequences

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thread For Toyota Users And Lovers / Honda Vs Toyota: Which Is Better? (Office Total War) / Olu Okeowo N2 Billion Garage: 6 Rolls Royce, 4 Phantoms, 2 Ghosts, 1 Bentley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.