Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,519 members, 7,770,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:14 AM

7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad (18981 Views)

List Of Super Eagles Squad for Egypt Game / Emenike Rejects Invitation Back To The Super Eagles Squad / Vincent Enyeama's Wife Speaks Up On His Retirement From Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 2:57pm On May 18, 2010
who's this?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by naso2(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2010

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel), Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petah Tikva, Israel), and Bassey Akpan (Bayelsa United, Nigeria)

Defenders: Taye Taiwo (Olympique Marseille, France), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Onyekachi Apam (OG Nice, France), Joseph Yobo (Everton, England), Daniel Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands), Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria) and Terna Suswan (Lobi Stars, Nigeria)

Midfielders/Forwards: Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Victor Anichebe (Everton, England), Chinedu Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany), Nwankwo Kanu, John Utaka (Portsmouth, England), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany), Brown Ideye (FC Sochaux, France), Peter Utaka (Odense Boldklub, Denmark), Ikechukwu Uche (Real Zaragoza, Spain), Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain), Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England), Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England), Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia), Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France), Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)

e don complete?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 3:57pm On May 18, 2010
All the premiership players must go.
Kanu
Utaka
Etuhu
Aiyegbeni
Shittu
Yobo
Mikel

It is even strange that there are seven premiership players and we need to evacuate 7 players.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by chacha215(f): 4:03pm On May 18, 2010
Kanu,Yobo,Utaka n brother Peter,Keita,Ayaila and Yakubu should be dropped cos we re tired of their attitude when it comes 2 big stage. They are not the owners of super eagle or NFF.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by naso2(m): 4:04pm On May 18, 2010
hollandis:

Kanu
Utaka
Etuhu
Aiyegbeni
Shittu
Yobo
Mikel

It is even strange that there are seven premiership players and we need to evacuate 7 players.

This EPL hate campaign will do us no good. You are suggesting that we take 4 keepers to the WC becuase you hate the EPL grin sad

Anyways, there is just no way Mikel and ETUHU will not make that team.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 4:12pm On May 18, 2010
na_so:

This EPL hate campaign will do us no good. You are suggesting that we take 4 keepers to the WC becuase you hate the EPL grin sad

Anyways, there is just no way Mikel and ETUHU will not make that team.
na so ,were u banned ?
Mikel is injured and a back passer.

Etuhu is a backpasser and was dissapointed with his game against athletico madrid

How many bak passers una want sef?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by bones1(m): 4:13pm On May 18, 2010
Personally, I think the whole team and Nigeria's intention to participate in the world cup should be dropped. We can do much better things with the huge amount of money which will be expended on this football jamboree !
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by chacha215(f): 4:18pm On May 18, 2010
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad
« #66 on: Today at 03:57:02 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanu
Utaka
Etuhu
Aiyegbeni
Shittu
Yobo
Mikel

PLS,Hollandis,its unfair 4 etuhu n mikel 2 be dropped cos they played active roles in their various club.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 4:20pm On May 18, 2010
^^^How many games have Anichebe started? How many goals has he scored? What is the diff. between warming the bench in a decent team and starting in a below average team in a lesser league? I think i even prefer the later.

Perfect response.

What is the use of being in a big teams bench compared to playing regularly for a small team. Why not invite Aliyu Datti who once played for AC Milan bench, Haruna Babangida who played for Barcelona bench at least these teams are better than Everton bench where Anichebe rots

Yes there is. One plays in the EPL for a more than decent side - Everton, whilist the other plays in the French Ligue 1 for a bottom table side with no continental recognition.
One has a far better reputation based on the quality he has shown in some important matches whilist the other barely has a rep outside Switzerland.
One is more versatile and powerful than the other.

Must I continue? Do you need me to clarify who is who in each line?

Nigeria best squad ever was in USA 1994, How many of them played in EPL, or Serie A at that time? Most of them played in Belgium, Germany and France, some were even clubless.

Have you forgotten how Yekini of a second division side in Portugal disgraced the EPl based Efan Ekoku who was called best dribbler by some uninformed journalist?

Of all EPL players, I would keep Etuhu and Shittu. drop others and the 4th keeper
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by jalether(m): 4:26pm On May 18, 2010
Ayila yusuf

sani kaita

Etuhu angry what a waste pipe

Kanu

John utaka

anichebe
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 4:31pm On May 18, 2010
chacha215:

Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad
« #66 on: Today at 03:57:02 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanu
Utaka
Etuhu
Aiyegbeni
Shittu
Yobo
Mikel

PLS,Hollandis,its unfair 4 etuhu n mikel 2 be dropped cos they played active roles in their various club.

Forget Mikel backpasserpaspasser passer passer passer  obi the greatest backpasser of all time.

I am judging Etuhu based on his UEFA cup final exploits.The guy is a backpasser and I HATE BACKPASSERS  kiss to u chacha

@ jalether thank you jare,e be like say u know etuhu wella.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Akosbaba(m): 6:17pm On May 18, 2010
@post,on point.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by mojojojo(m): 3:39am On May 19, 2010
Bassey Akpan
Terna Suswan
Yusuf Ayila
Brown Ideye
Haruna Lukman
John Utaka
Adeleye
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by naso2(m): 8:34am On May 19, 2010
hollandis:

na so ,were u banned ?
Mikel is injured and a back passer.

Etuhu is a backpasser and was dissapointed with his game against athletico madrid

How many bak passers una want sef?

I was not banned.thanx

Mikel has resumed training, so forget the injury talk. Mikel has never been a backpasser in the SE.

Yes he does that in chelsea, but some off us need to watch the chelsea backline carefully. Peter cech is about the most engaged keeper in terms of backpass. These passes do not come from Mikel.They come from either Alex or Terry, sometimes i get pissed off when terry does that expecially when he is not under any pressure from an attacker, but maybe that is the best way they know how to organise the backline.

Mikel is and will be a relevant part of the SE for a long time to come. He is surely the first midfielder i will pick,Haruna comes next because of his age which will help the teams mobility greatly.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 9:22am On May 19, 2010
These are the 7 players I feel should be dropped.

1. Bassey Akpan. . . .Least experienced of all the goalkeepers.

2. Nwankwo Kanu. . .Expired and is clearly a dead & rotten log of wood. He shouldn't even be on the 30 man-list as far as I'm concerned.

3. Rabiu Afolabi. . .Difficult choice but I've got my defence locked down between Adeleye, Shittu, Yobo, Apam/ Odiah, Suswan, /Taiwo, Echiejile/

4. Brown Ideye. . .Sorry ehn. Better luck next time. What I remember of your U-21 exploits ain't enough to convince me you deserve a seat on the plane to SA. Try out with the Olympic team, please.

5. Yusuf Ayila. . .Difficult choice between Ayila & Etuhu as both are piss poor and sorry excuses for Defensive Midfielders. However Etuhu gets a seat on a plane to SA cos he plays in a more competitive league, for a higher profile club, has played more regularly this season and is our highest profile Defensive Midfielder. 

6.Yakubu Aiyegbeni. . .Simply Pathetic! I'm short of adjectives to describe how BAD he is.

7. John Utaka. . . Sorry but your brother is better. Besides you've lost form and ain't the Utaka we knew in 2002-2006.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by Olliloo: 9:35am On May 19, 2010
I dont care who mad d list bt d mst effective problm is dat we lak a propa midfielda. Som1 lik rabiu ibra shld b listd and drp kaita and ayila.kanu is beta off an old leg 4 d list
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 4:10pm On May 19, 2010
These are the 7 players I feel should be dropped.

1. Bassey Akpan. . . .Least experienced of all the goalkeepers.

2. Nwankwo Kanu. . .Expired and is clearly a dead & rotten log of wood. He shouldn't even be on the 30 man-list as far as I'm concerned.

3. Rabiu Afolabi. . .Difficult choice but I've got my defence locked down between Adeleye, Shittu, Yobo, Apam/ Odiah, Suswan, /Taiwo, Echiejile/

4. Brown Ideye. . .Sorry ehn. Better luck next time. What I remember of your U-21 exploits ain't enough to convince me you deserve a seat on the plane to SA. Try out with the Olympic team, please.

5. Yusuf Ayila. . .Difficult choice between Ayila & Etuhu as both are piss poor and sorry excuses for Defensive Midfielders. However Etuhu gets a seat on a plane to SA cos he plays in a more competitive league, for a higher profile club, has played more regularly this season and is our highest profile Defensive Midfielder.

6.Yakubu Aiyegbeni. . .Simply Pathetic! I'm short of adjectives to describe how BAD he is.

7. John Utaka. . . Sorry but your brother is better. Besides you've lost form and ain't the Utaka we knew in 2002-2006.

I agree with your list except the ones in bold. Replace them with Yobo, Anichebe any other useless one.

Remove all EPL players. No team has won the world cup with that much EPL players. Tell me any country that has won the world cup with more than 1-2 EPL players in their starting 11. Most winners dont even have any EPL player
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by chic2pimp(m): 4:55pm On May 19, 2010
dayokanu:

I agree with your list except the ones in bold. Replace them with Yobo, Anichebe any other useless one.

Remove all EPL players. No team has won the world cup with that much EPL players. Tell me any country that has won the world cup with more than 1-2 EPL players in their starting 11. Most winners dont even have any EPL player
Funnily enough that was the same arguement I had with my friends.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On May 19, 2010
An example the best Nigerian team ever in 1994 didnt have any EPL based player.

Think about the Senegalese team that took the world by storm in 2002 they didnt have any EPL player, the moment all their big players Diouf, Diao, Diop, Henry camara, Aliou Cisse etc went to the EPL, they couldnt even qualify for mundial.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 9:49pm On May 19, 2010
dayokanu:

Think about the Senegalese team that took the world by storm in 2002 they didnt have any EPL player, the moment all their big players Diouf, Diao, Diop, Henry camara, Aliou Cisse etc went to the EPL, they couldnt even qualify for mundial.

[size=28pt]WORD!!!!!!!!!![/size]

THE EPL IS WACK
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 10:26pm On May 19, 2010
It takes a hollow and uninformed person to support the EPL.

In the world Arsenal fans are known to be the most retarded, uninformed and most idiotic set of fans
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by hollandis(f): 10:35pm On May 19, 2010
I just hope half of the EPL invitees will be dropped or all
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 11:41pm On May 19, 2010
Any coach who knows what he is doing shouldnt have invited Kanu, Yobo, Anichebe and Utaka in the first place, Why not invite Patience Avre and Mercy Akide too?
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 1:18am On May 20, 2010
lol, wetin dem epl do una? grin
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by mamagee3(f): 1:55am On May 20, 2010
They all should be dropped, they're bunch of clowns. grin
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by semid4lyfe(m): 7:11am On May 20, 2010
dayokanu:

How I wish all our 23 players could come from the German league grin grin
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by honeric01(m): 3:10pm On May 20, 2010
semid4lyfe:

How I wish all our 23 players could come from the German league grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On May 20, 2010
How I wish all our 23 players could come from the German league

If majority of our team are based in Germany, Then we would get success like the German team at Italia 90 or even reach the finals or third place like the German team of 2002 and 2006
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by bishoprccg(m): 5:34pm On May 20, 2010
What i Know about EPL players, is that they are grossly over rated.
That is why Portsmouth has gone into administration with their huge wage bill.
Imagine Utaka been paid an outrageous wage when he can't deliver!
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 5:53pm On May 20, 2010
What is Kanu Nwankwo still doing here? Why is Nigeria using recycled players. I strongly believe we have lots of "young", strong and vibrant players that haven't been discovered yet. They should scout for those ones, rather than going with the same old, over publicised names. Kanu, aiyegbeni, Yobo and all those old names need to fade.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by opsydudu(m): 9:31pm On May 20, 2010
@honeric01 & dayokanu,

Well let me remind you of France 98 where France world the world cup with how many EPL players? I guess you didn't watch that one.

France also lost out to Italy in the last world cup to how many EPL players in their team? Figure that out yourself.

EPL is the best, just watch out! This world cup will bring out the best in every player representing EPL in their various countries.
Re: 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad by dayokanu(m): 11:08pm On May 20, 2010
^^ If you dont know let no me inform you.

In France squad of 1998 Petit of Arsenal, Lebouef of Chelsea, Vieira of Arsenal and Bermanrd Lama of West ham were the EPL players.

Bernanrd Lama was 3rd keeper and didnt see a single minute of action.

Patrick Vieira was avery useless player and a substitute who was considered not good enough. He only started one game which was the meaningless 3rd group game vs Denmark when they rested all their regulars.

Frank Lebouef was another back up player. A sub at best he only plays when the major starters like Dessailly and Blanc were suspended. he started the final for this reason. The other game he started was the meaningless 3rd group game.

Emmanuel Petit was the closest the EPL had to astarter and he was in and out of the team, mainly coming in as a second half substitute.

If you remove the meaningless 3rd group games, Lizarazu played more minutes that the combination of all EPL players

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yaya Toure Is BBC African Footballer For 2013 / Karibe Ojigwe: Ex-Super Eagles footballer Nominated Commissioner In Abia State / Nigeria's Likely Opponents In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.