Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? (12376 Views)

Olawale Oluwo: Tinubu Vs Ambode - What Really Happened - Ex-Commissioner Reveals / If You Were Ambode, What Will You Do? / Tinubu Vs Ambode:What may happen if Gov. A. Ambode loses the primary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by mikolo80: 9:44pm On Apr 17, 2018
solutionist:
One thing I would do if I were in Ambode’s shoes is this.

I would build jetties around Lagos in order to take advantage of the Inland Waterways. The inland waterways mode of transport has a great potential to decongest the roads.

Building jetties and acquiring ferries does not cost anything close to how much other mass transit transport infrastructure cost.

Building jetties is far cheaper than building Light trains, Cable cars or even building roads.

If I were in Ambode’s position, I will collaborate with the National Inland Watersway of Nigeria to build several jetties at Marina, Ikorodu, Lekki, Epe, Apapa, Oworoshoki, Ajah, Badagry, etc.

I will then invite the private sector to participate by bringing in ferries. These ferries must conform to the maximum safety standards.

This system will also create thousands of jobs. And I will establish a state agency that will be saddled with the responsibility of monitoring and managing the traffic on the waterways.

If this can be achieved, millions of commuters will be taken off the roads. And Lagosians won’t be wasting valuable man-hours in traffic.

My 2 Kobo.

water doesnt reach ikeja
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by mikolo80: 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2018
Earthbound:
How do you solve traffic problems with in a state whose size is 3,577 km2 with about 25-30 million people?

do what serious cities did

Even the world's smartest minds will have a tough time with this.
smart minds have solved it
it is political minds that refuse

The only solution is for the government to develop other states to decongest Lagos for us. How? The solution is simple. Create a new law to rotate the nation's capital every 25 years and see magic happen.

lagos has not beeen fct for 30 years

I'd advocate for tube stations in the metropolis, along with WIDER road networks. Whoever planned this city had poor foresight.
you will actually go underground in nigerian built tube
brave but not smart
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Festacbreed(m): 9:56pm On Apr 17, 2018
[size=8pt][/size][quote author=Man2utd post=66787513]Take danfo off the road, provide more intelligent traffic light.[/quote
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by mikolo80: 10:13pm On Apr 17, 2018
fatymore:
Build more bridges.. Expand the existing roads... laying more emphasis on the use of waterways and railways...

Making efficient use of traffic light.. Or using technology more...

Lastly taking lastma and all those Agberos away from road..but I doubt if government can take Agberos away cos they also have their own share out of the daily money..
bridge from whereb to where
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Eagba(m): 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2018
Concession all major roads and make the companies handling the concessions to take of traffic by installing human and vehicles recognition cameras that's connected to computers that will automatically penalise you for traffic violations like wrong parking etc, from your access cards.
Ban agberos.
the toll on the access cards will be in kobo bt violations will carry weigher debits
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Eagba(m): 11:35pm On Apr 17, 2018
Concession all major roads and make the companies handling the concessions to take care of traffic by installing human and vehicles recognition cameras that's connected to computers that will automatically penalise you for traffic violations like wrong parking etc, from your access cards.
the toll on the access cards will be in kobo bt violations will carry weigher debits.
2 Build light rails.
3 Ban agberos.
4 Establish transport regulatories agent that regulate the ppp companies.
Effect
If your roads are congested or not beautiful enough, ppl will drive/ride on the roads of
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by fatymore(f): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2018
mikolo80:
bridge from whereb to where
my house to your house.. cry
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Reptyle(m): 8:58am On Apr 18, 2018
autojosh:
Lagos state is not famous for the best traffic experiences. Unarguably, the traffic situation in the state is what makes the state the most stressful place to reside in Nigeria.

However, the current administration has so far demonstrated an impressive resolve to ameliorate the suffering of the residents brought about by the most horrendous road traffic experiences.

Gov. Akinwumi Ambode has constructed and reconstructed several road transport infrastructure in Lagos. For instance, He has built several many roads, Bridges and Flyovers. He has also constructed lay numerous bys and slip roads.

The Governor has also built and commissioned some ultra-modern bus tops and bus terminals. Hundreds of BRT buses have been acquired. Many more buses are still being acquired.

In addition, he has sanitized many once notorious bus-stops.

Despite all these, Lagosians still groan over the horrific traffic experience.

It goes without saying: a lot more needs to be done to ease the mass transit in Lagos state.

No matter how much we celebrate the commissioning of new bus terminals and bus stops, the state still craves for far more effective transport infrastructure and policies.

So, if you were in Gov. Ambode’s shoes, what 2 strategic transport infrastructure or policy would you introduce to significantly improve mass transit in Lagos state?

Kindly drop your comment in the comments section.

Hey! You never know, the Governor might be reading this!

#AmbodeChallenge

Source

https://autojosh.com/if-you-were-ambode-what-2-things-would-you-do-to-improve-the-traffic-situations-in-lagos/

In the short term, I would set up a taskforce to urgently fix all roads to encourage freer flow of traffic. Fix potholes, clear obstacles like road side markets, unapproved bus stops, unapproved security checkpoints, parked trailers and broken down or abandoned vehicles, etc.

In the medium term, I would fast track the development of public transport infrastructure like the ongoing light train project, and enhance existing facilities like the BRT system. The existence of these efficient systems will encourage more city dwellers to leave their cars at home and take public transport thus reducing the numbers of cars making the daily commute to and from work. It will also encourage more Lagosians to move to the suburbs thus depopulating the city center.

In the long term, I would explore opportunities for the state to partner with the private sector to set up a sustainable system of water transportation. Lagos State is one of the few coastal cities I know that seem to be doing nothing to draw value from the natural resources it is blessed with. Successive governments have failed in this regard and for the life of me, I do not understand why.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Manus17(m): 11:52am On Apr 18, 2018
solutionist:
One thing I would do if I were in Ambode’s shoes is this.

I would build jetties around Lagos in order to take advantage of the Inland Waterways. The inland waterways mode of transport has a great potential to decongest the roads.

Building jetties and acquiring ferries does not cost anything close to how much other mass transit transport infrastructure cost.

Building jetties is far cheaper than building Light trains, Cable cars or even building roads.

If I were in Ambode’s position, I will collaborate with the National Inland Watersway of Nigeria to build several jetties at Marina, Ikorodu, Lekki, Epe, Apapa, Oworoshoki, Ajah, Badagry, etc.

I will then invite the private sector to participate by bringing in ferries. These ferries must conform to the maximum safety standards.

This system will also create thousands of jobs. And I will establish a state agency that will be saddled with the responsibility of monitoring and managing the traffic on the waterways.

If this can be achieved, millions of commuters will be taken off the roads. And Lagosians won’t be wasting valuable man-hours in traffic.

My 2 Kobo.

Good day Dear Solutionist,
thank you for this response.

Justst to let you know there's an agency responsible for managing, administration and regulation of Lagos inland waterways called Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA).

We already have jetties at these locations you mentioned and all our ferries are up to maximum safety standards.

Just to let you know Gov. Ambode is working on it.

for any other enquiry, please
call 0809012977 or 08090129888

Thank you.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by sprints1: 1:05pm On Apr 18, 2018
PrecisionFx:

From where do u bring ur statistics from?

Shanghai population is 24 million m their landmass is over 6000 sqkm, that's double of Lagos land mass.

Tokyo population is 9 million. Their lnd mass is just over 2,000 sqkm
get ur facts right Tokyo's population is 30 million and above though statistics says its big but I still believe Shanghai is more overpopulated than Tokyo's... forget land mass...ibeju lekki to epe is still vacant big land mass
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 18, 2018
sprints1:
get ur facts right Tokyo's population is 30 million and above though statistics says its big but I still believe Shanghai is more overpopulated than Tokyo's... forget land mass...ibeju lekki to epe is still vacant big land mass

U have to go to CNN n BBC to prove that.

As for now, Shanghai is the most populated city in the world.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by mikolo80: 5:48pm On Apr 18, 2018
fatymore:
my house to your house.. cry
didn't think it thru did you
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by sprints1: 12:41am On Apr 19, 2018
PrecisionFx:

U have to go to CNN n BBC to prove that.

As for now, Shanghai is the most populated city in the world.
u didn't read my statement well I said its more populated than Tokyo...very congested madly congested
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 19, 2018
sprints1:
u didn't read my statement well I said its more populated than Tokyo...very congested madly congested

Shanghai is 24 million.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra Election: PDP Mobilises Nigerians Over Seized Case Files / Jeremiah Useni: June 12 Was More Credible Than 2019 Presidential Election / CBN: Enaira Will Make Government Be Able To Send Payments To Citizens Directly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.