Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Us Wants All Candidates To Contest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Wants All Candidates To Contest (2300 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: INEC Clears Underage Candidates To Contest Senate, House Of Reps / The Top 3 APC Presidential Candidates To Watch Out For! - CramJones exclusive! / Historical Video Documentaries Of 1st Republic Elections And All Candidates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 2:57pm On Mar 14, 2007
US wants all candidates to contest

The United States has asked the Nigerian government to allow as many candidates as possible to run in next month’s election as a practical demonstration of commitment to democratic principles and rule of law.

Reaction to comments by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Maurice Iwu, that Abia State Governor, Dr. Orji Kalu is cleared to run in the presidential election, the US State Department said the exercise should not be closed to anyone willing to contest.

"We have always maintained that Chief Kalu would make a great leader and it is undemocratic to ban anyone who desires to run for elective office unless disqualified by a court of competent jurisdiction," the State Department stated.

The U.S officials noted that the Abia State governor had put his life and businesses on the line in defence of democracy and should not have been included in the alleged list of banned officials.
"We hope that he and other candidates would be allowed to campaign unhindered by the government," the statement stated.

The administration also revealed that it had received a petition from Vice President Atiku Abubakar on fears that the election may have been programmed to fail.
White House sources said President George Bush has directed Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice to take up the matter with Nigerian officials. The administration had expressed concern over what it called growing violent expressions of political will ahead of next month’s elections. It said the development was capable of undermining the nation's future.

The State Department stated that violence at recent political rallies in parts of the country was ominous.
"Violent expressions of political will are unnecessary, unacceptable and illegal," the statement said, adding: "Electoral violence not only threatens the credibility of elections but also damages the legitimacy of democratic institutions by weakening two fundamental human rights; freedom of association and freedom of speech.

"Furthermore, with violence comes destruction of property and businesses, which negatively impacts, on the economic progress and development. Let us not also forget the human toll. Electoral violence affects everyone, families, communities and the entire nation."

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.sunnewsonline.com/"
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 3:07pm On Mar 14, 2007
I support this new development.

Instead of Federal government spending heavily on trying to stop presidential candidates from contesting, I think they should focus more on educating the voters (citizens of Nigeria) and empowering the voting process in order to boost an accurate election result.

The Issue of trying to stop candidates from contesting reminds me of a man in the MIRROR saga (RatRace) and lack of confidence in the voters and in the voting process.

To me, it is totally a sign of setback; instead of wasting time and energy on short cut resolution process, why not invest more on a long term resolution process (educating voters and improving voting process) that will benefit all?

I truly do not believe that stopping few folks from contesting will solve any of our probelms; it might even create more trouble for us.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Afam(m): 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2007
So, even if Lawrence Anini were alive and he insisted on contesting the presidential election he should be allowed to run abi?

Those of you who value what the US says about Nigeria more than what Nigerians say or think about Nigeria need serious help unless this is just a case of inferiority complex.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2007
@AFAM:
Posted by Afam:
Those of you who value what the US says about Nigeria more than what Nigerians say or think about Nigeria need serious help unless this is just a case of inferiority complex.

My man, don't blame us or United States; we've counted on these leaders for many years with nothing to show for it,  and furthermore when Mr. President and his VP find it very difficult to sort things out among themselves and focus on moving our country forward, what do you expect?

I rather welcome United States involvement at this point than waiting for our back to be against the wall, just like Liberia, Somali and others.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by toshmann(m): 11:28pm On Mar 14, 2007
I've said it many times in this forum.people should be careful whenever the US and their cronies start picking interest in our affairs. those guys are very selfish and will do anything to maitain their status.

wetin concern them for our business. we dey put hand for their politics?haba.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by donnymikky(m): 6:43am On Mar 15, 2007
U.S should stay away from Nigeria's affair and they should know that Nigeria is not IRAQ or IRAN
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by dayokanu(m): 8:30am On Mar 15, 2007
US again well is that not a shame that when we cant put our house in order everybody would teach us how to .
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by dblock(m): 12:34pm On Mar 15, 2007
[size=15pt]America must be crazy[/size], Tell me this is a joke, because I am outraged by this suggestion. Seems to me like America is still the same deal. They want political instabilty for Nigeria so that they can exploit the situation and benefit from it. They are doing it in Iraq, and they are trying to it now in Nigeria. America must be on drugs if they expect Nigeria to allow coorupt candidates to run. I will not oppose this, but if Nigeria must comply, then they must also allow corrupt people to run for their elction as a sign of their democracy. This is complete stupiddity. Nigeria is developing not stupid angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

God save us from the apprentices of the Devil!!!!!!!
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by dblock(m): 12:36pm On Mar 15, 2007
What kind of stupiduty is this

Seun please lock this thread, I am outraged angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by donnymikky(m): 1:20pm On Mar 15, 2007
seun please lock this thread!!!
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 2:05pm On Mar 15, 2007
Guys, I guess it is true that truth is difficult to deal with.

If your leaders continue to run to United States with our affairs to report each other's imperfection like little boys, what do you expect?

Problem here is the fact that we refuse to identify, address and resolve the obvious problem (Nigerian retarded leaders), instead we are pointing finger and blaming United States.
Give me a break, guys!

Do you know that if you don't give you kids home training, it gives an outsider opportunity to train them for you?.

Stop bashing United States for our leaders' flaws and let's get it together.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Afam(m): 2:16pm On Mar 15, 2007
@BigB1,

To be honest with you, you have a problem, you assume your position is the right one and others are missing the point.

From the responses on this thread it is very obvious that your support for such nonsense call by the US is in the minority and infact an insult to Nigeria and Nigerians.

I wonder how you believe that Nigeria is blessed with retarded leaders yet you have the guts to ask for IBB to be given another chance after plunging this country into the most dangerous form of corruption by institutionalizing it.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by 4Play(m): 2:27pm On Mar 15, 2007
This thread is a farce for the simple reason that it is based on a story that is untrue.Did he say that the State Dept said that Orji Uzor Kalu will make a great leader? grin

I can't believe people were responding to this thread as if the underlying story was true
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 2:43pm On Mar 15, 2007
This is not about IBB, it is about the safety of the innocent citizens from being the election casualties and the future of our nation from not becoming another Liberia.
I will rather welcome United States involvement at this point before things become insuppressible.

And nobody is supporting Kalu
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Mamajama(m): 3:00pm On Mar 15, 2007
WE don't need USA, we have Police and Military personnel dispatch this people to strategic locations and they can curb violent at all level. What are our ARM forces for? put this personnel to use. and we can have a successful election. IBB used to use Mobile police and Soldiers to block roads when he was Military president. they can still come out and do their jobs.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by ugodaniel(m): 3:56pm On Mar 15, 2007
Is it not the electorates that decides who wins after all. So, let the people decide out of the pack. Allowing someone to contest doesnt necessarily mean they've won, or does it?
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 3:59pm On Mar 15, 2007
It is amazing to me that people in general refuse to see behind the big wall.
I guess, it is a great talent to be able to forcast the obvious mess ahead of the coming election; but for some people, it's not a big deal.

Totally unbelievable!
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Afam(m): 4:09pm On Mar 15, 2007
No, on the contrary people have refused to be teleguided by you.

It is either you are the only sensible person here or that you are the one completely missing the point, try to figure out which scenario fits you well.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 4:25pm On Mar 15, 2007
Afam:

I'm not sure how long I will take this aggressive pushing coming from you; believe me, I'm trying my best not to be too emotionally attached, the way I used to be.
But brother, you need to simmer down and re-focus your energy and time on applying sensible premise to disable this new development.

After all, I wasn't the one running up and down to United States to expose all our incredible leaders' dirty laundries.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2007
Posted by ugodaniel
Is it not the electorates that decides who wins after all. So, let the people decide out of the pack. Allowing someone to contest doesnt necessarily mean they've won, or does it?

I totally agree with you

The Issue of trying to stop candidates from contesting reminds me of a man in the MIRROR saga (RatRace) and lack of confidence in the voters and in the voting process.

To me, it is totally a sign of setback; instead of wasting time and energy on short cut resolution process, why not invest more on a long term resolution process (educating voters and improving voting process) that will benefit all?

I truly do not believe that stopping few folks from contesting will solve any of our probelms; it might even create more trouble for us.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 4:38pm On Mar 15, 2007
Moreover, read my posting and also study what is currently going on in Nigeria before you judge me.

The problem here is the fact that people are allowing the past and hate for some people to block them from seeing the truth and the obvious solution.
This is also called Nigerian sentimentality; believe me, it will never never be beneficial to anyone.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 4:43pm On Mar 15, 2007
This is not a game of hide and see; Believe me, whenever anyone makes sense or displays reasonable point, I'm the first to acknowledge it. It is not a big deal to me, it's all about finding a better strategy to move our lovely country forward.

Come on, let's keep it real and tell it as it is.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Afam(m): 5:05pm On Mar 15, 2007
@BigB1,

You cannot advocate for us to tell it as it is and at the same time take offence when people tell it as it is.

Your positions lack any reasonable premise; allow the US to dictate to us what they want: allow anyone that wants to run for election run.

What manner of thinking is that.

Call it whatever you want but for you to constantly promote ideas that are insulting to Nigeria and Nigerians and expect not to be responded to is another wonder.

From IBB is the best man to become president to agreeing with anything the US says that is anti OBJ it is the same, playing games with the sensibilities of Nigeria and trying to sound as if you want a better Nigeria.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by McKren(m): 5:19pm On Mar 15, 2007
All of you making noise, if you all believe in the power of the electorates why did we not allow amendments of third term bill in the hope that we will vote OBJ out at the polls

The truth is that Atiku should lick his wounds, Atiku and OBJ are going simple. Nigerians obviously want something new come May 29.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 5:21pm On Mar 15, 2007
AFAM:

PLEASE FORGET OBJ, IBB, ATIKU, BUHARI, KALU and others for a moment.

Let me ask you couple of questions.
1. Do you truly think we and our incredible leaders are capable of holding this election fraudlessly and peacefully?
2. How many innocent people have you calculated to lose their lives during this election process?
3. Can you truly blame United States from getting involved at this time?
4. With United States involvement, could you please identify what exactly we have to lose?
5. Can you truly count on our leaders/ federal government of Nigeria?
6. Do you really think Nigerian citizens in Nigeria are currently united?
7. And finally, as a great Nigerian citizen what are your recommendations?
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Afam(m): 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2007
@BigB1,

I do not have complete answers for you as regards your question but to suggest that the intervention of another country let alone the US is necessary is totally unacceptable.

Basically all the nations they have tried to internene in have become worse off and Nigeria does not need to go towards that path.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 7:13pm On Mar 15, 2007
AFAM

That is the whole issue right there, my man.
If you can be honest to yourself and answer these questions without any side attractions (OBJ, ATIKU and others), then my points will quickly become visible to you.

You should give the questions a shot!
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Mamajama(m): 7:23pm On Mar 15, 2007
DUDE we don't need USA the Nigerian society and the politicians that are using this thugs to victimize Innocent people are to blame for barbaric actions, we don't have Election or political thugs in USA, how can they monitor an idiot on the street with a cutlass that cant speak English? please stop saying we need USA
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by BigB11(m): 7:53pm On Mar 15, 2007
@MAMAJAMA:

It's not about what Big B1 is saying; instead, you should pay attention to the messages your leaders are sending to the whole world.

My position here is to look out for the innocent citizens, who are the potential election casualties and for the future of our nation.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by Mamajama(m): 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2007
innocent citizens that allowed themselves to be bought and used by this politicians. FELA SAID WHEN TROUBLE SLEEP YANGA GO WAKE AM, NA PALAVA HE GO GET

stay out of trouble and you have better chances of seeing tomorrow
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by buluti(m): 8:20pm On Mar 15, 2007
@ Big B1, i really find it hard to rationalise your point, the statement as posted leaves much to be desired, for the state department to consider Chief Kalu a good leader then they should keep their opinions any one should be able to read within the lines.

America the epitome of democracy have had their times and definately George Bush has no moral grounds of talking of a free and fair election considering how he got into the white house in the first place.

Keeping to topic whilst i appreciate the concerns of the US ie the effect of a troubled Nigeria to the region and world it is not in America's place to tell us what to do, we are a sovereign nation capable of taking decisions for ourselves.
Re: Us Wants All Candidates To Contest by McKren(m): 8:28pm On Mar 15, 2007
@BigB1

You simply have not told us how you and your US plan to avert any danger if there was going to be one. The most any country will want to do is to send election monitors who will stay only in expensive hotels in Abuja, Lagos and PH.
They will simply avoid the creeks of Okrika and mbiama in Niger-Delta, they will not even near the hills of Udi or Nsuka in Enugu let alone the deserts of Bodinga, Fika or Potiskum of the North.

What difference will they make?. There were international observers when Abel Goubadia conducted his charade it did not change anything. I believe there will still be international observers during this one but the manner in which you are calling USA to conduct our election sounds so suspicious.

Or do you want 20,000 troops deployed because naija wants to have election/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja: The Scottish View. / Boko Haram: One Year After, Can It Happen Again? / Going, Going, Gone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.