Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,796 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque (2693 Views)

Updates on Ramadhaan Crescent (1436ah/2015ce) / 'Salat Man' Is Symbol Of Resistance For Muslims In Ethiopia / The Eagle That Characterizes The Nigerian Coat-of-arms Is A Symbol Of Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 9:59am On May 15, 2010
The crescent is now often used to symbolize the Islamic faith. However, I learnt from studies (Being a seeker, I study. I’m not just another run-of-the-mill simpletons who waits on nairaland to be feed some islamophobic half-truth crap by the likes of Frosbel, Jesus., Toba, Davidylan etc. Get it!) that the crescent was not a symbol used for Islam by Muhammad, (as the Islamic religion claims it forbids all images, as opposed to the way that the cross symbolizes Christianity, the menorah was a commonly-occurring symbol of Judaism, etc.).

Not to argue, but, why is it such a prominent Islamic symbol. why on the tops of mosques everywhere in the world? I would have thought that at some time some Muslim would have rejected the symbol. I mean no disrespect, I just don't understand it.

Frankly bro, I have not heard or caught wind of the slightest concern over this among Muslims to change it.
Is it just blindly accepted by Muslims of today as their symbol of faith or what, ?

P.S.  Objective/informed, not emotional response please!
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Dimka76(m): 10:46am On May 15, 2010
Hmmmm, deep, I like, oya Moslems over to you,
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Jaideyone(m): 3:22pm On May 17, 2010
They've all been brain washed. fustrated retards and suicide bombers. Lol
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Jaideyone(m): 3:23pm On May 17, 2010
They've all been brain washed. fustrated retards and suicide bombers. Lol
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 10:36pm On May 17, 2010
@Jaidey-one et al

First thing first, Let me state it clearly that the objective of this thread is not to win a cheap debates or an attempt at ridicule but rather a genuine attempt to gain an objective understanding of the religion.
People fear what they don't understand. - Andrew Smith

I am not here to vilify the religion but rather to check out the facts as oppose to rumour & hearsay.
“The opinions of ten thousand men are of no value, if none of them know anything about the subject.”
Aurelius

Given the disposition of your post (aspersions, sweeping generalization etc.), it goes without saying, that your approach to this discussion is dissipative and hence will not help in achieving the aforementioned objective.
“No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately." Michel de Montaigne

Where is the love?
“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.”  Coretta Scott King

Think about it.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by auwal87(m): 11:44am On May 18, 2010
Source

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Osman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five pillars of Islam, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and as you will see on the following page, it is still not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today.

For hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people's minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically had no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon. It is certainly not in uniform use among Muslims.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by chakula: 2:05pm On May 18, 2010
The moon and star is sometimes considered a symbol of Islam because it was a symbol of the Turkish dynasty that controlled much of the Islamic world for several centuries.

No created object is a symbol of Islam. Prophet Muhammad's (God bless him and grant him peace) flag was a plain green rectangle.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 21, 2010
@Muslims,

From the response can I infer that the Crescent & star symbol used in Islam/mosques is:

-essentially a pagan icon. which has somehow been accepted.

-has no place in the religion of the Muslims.

Then how does this reality compare with the Islamic creed on innovation and pagan influence?

Can Muslims kindly explain with with evidence.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 10:14am On May 29, 2010
The Crescent icon Represent the prophet NOAH's ARK AND THEN COUPLED WITH D "STAR" which stands for the "FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM" thus, when u believe in the 5 pillars of islam definately u re 1 in d Ark of noah and destined to land safely after the long journey of life.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by teeyad: 1:10am On Jun 14, 2010
@AIRDIG>
why do countries have flags, why do companies have badges, why do some tribes have tribal marks, can i guess, IDENTITY, for adminstrative purposes, have u ever asked why Saudi Arabia has a flag with the swords and the Kalimatu Shahadah on it(would we call that an innovation worthy of retribution) , for God's sake "identity"
you have just been told how the symbol came about these guys were building an empire with muslim majority why wont they have a badge for administrative purposes, why are u looking for talk where there is none, its just like saying hey Nigeria why do you have the coat of arms.

your arguement will be meaningful if only u can link the crescent and star with ancient paganism, i won't mind seeing the facts,

please stop making conjectures i can see you are already making up your opinion.

find out more about islam and i pray your heart appreciates God in his Oneness.

thanks

peace to you
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Cohomology: 1:49pm On Jun 15, 2010
AIRDIG:

@Muslims,

From the response can I infer that the Crescent & star symbol used in Islam/mosques is:

Then how does this reality compare with the Islamic creed on innovation and pagan influence?

Interesting question.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by nopuqeater: 1:01pm On Jun 17, 2010
@Airbag: « #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05 PM »
@Muslims,

You can infer anything you want. But the reality is in Quran which Sunnah and Hadith explain. I can aso now infer that cross is purely a paganic symbolism, or hatred for Jesus since you love what he died on so much. I am using your idea of belief, though I disagree with the association of star and crescent to Islam, and I do not believe that Jesus died on the cross.

I am going to concur with you, since it is not found in any part of the Quran and any act of the prophet (AS), or his companions (RA) after him, or the next generation or the next after that (ra).

When Islam present a symbol, it was always a white clothing. No instriptions. No nothing (Anything). Saudi Arabia, though am not personally enthused with them, but they do not have star and crescent in their flag. PAkistan which is a country formed solely on religion is not carrying star and crescent.

With all the above, it is very clear that you can simply say that flag may not be wrong for each society or movement, but the flag of Islam is simple white cloth. Hence anything other than pure white cloth is an innovation, and to me it is unaccepted for islam, but may be allowable for individual society. I have seen many masajid that does not have miniret. I have seen many which its miniret does not carrry star and crescent, or anything. Masjid is not less a masjid if it does not carry them, or even a miniret, or even designed initially purposely for the later usage. Masjid is a simple room designated for three things; salah, reading of Quran, remebering of Allah. This is from hadith addressing the man who urinated in the masjid.

incidentally, turkey which her kalifate brought star and crescent, was the last place we had kalifate, her regime brought hordes of Jews to Palestine, beginning the disaster of today in Palestine.
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by e36991: 9:26am On Jun 20, 2010
AIRDIG:

The crescent is now often used to symbolize the Islamic faith. However, I learnt from studies (Being a seeker, I study. I’m not just another run-of-the-mill simpletons who waits on nairaland to be feed some islamophobic half-truth crap by the likes of Frosbel, Jesus., Toba, Davidylan etc. Get it!) that the crescent was not a symbol used for Islam by Muhammad, (as the Islamic religion claims it forbids all images, as opposed to the way that the cross symbolizes Christianity, the menorah was a commonly-occurring symbol of Judaism, etc.).

Not to argue, but, why is it such a prominent Islamic symbol. why on the tops of mosques everywhere in the world? I would have thought that at some time some Muslim would have rejected the symbol. I mean no disrespect, I just don't understand it.

Frankly bro, I have not heard or caught wind of the slightest concern over this among Muslims to change it.
Is it just blindly accepted by Muslims of today as their symbol of faith or what, ?

P.S.  Objective/informed, not emotional response please!

@AIRDIG

Already asked . . .

Always do a search first on topics or subject before opening up a new thread

Why Does The Crescent Moon Symbol Sit On Top Of Mosques? « on: September 07, 2009, 10:43 PM »

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-320549.0.html
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2010
Thanks 4 d link. Moderator can delete this thread for duplication of subject matter

Further discussion continues on
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by PurestBoy(m): 2:48pm On Jun 21, 2010
Why can't moslems answer questions without Wikipedia??
Re: Why Is The Crescent Used A Symbol Of Islam/mosque by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2010
AIRDIG:

Further discussion continues on

(1) (Reply)

*~Tbaba1234 Voted Islam For Muslims Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations / You / Who Are The Salaf?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.