Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (36071 Views)

Re: Strike - "JOHESU Is Selfish,they Dont Know What They Want" Must Read / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy / Federal Health Workers Under The Umbrella Of JOHESU Embark On Indefinite Trike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Mires: 9:14pm On Apr 18, 2018
JoannaSedley:

I barfed when I read your post. I am a graduate nurse like the lady you quoted and I attended anatomy, physiology, clinical chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology lectures with students of medicine, pharmacy, Med lab etc uptill 300 level.
I don't know the kind of muchroom backwater school you graduated from, where you, as a doctor cannot string together a readable sentence in English. So I'd like to remind you that next time when you argue with people, you'd better get your facts right.
If it took you eight years to graduate from medical school then you must be very dull, medicine is a six year course.

A kettle calling a pot black. Please, I don't want to laugh this night. It's a known fact that health workers in all totality including medical Drs can hardly write correct and constructive English. Nigerian trained health workers who want to be paid a million naira before they can deliver quack services to patients.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ultron12345: 9:15pm On Apr 18, 2018
Glitzcaret:
@ogalnnocent
Its pride that is killing the some black nations....
I currently practice in the U.S and doctors don't have this backward mentality (superior to other health professionals).
It a shame that Nigerian train doctors lack respect for others.
I deal with facts so name any civilized nation that behave like you guys.
and who told u doctors don't respect others. In civilized nations, do nurses, lab scientists and co insult and hate on doctors the way their Nigerian counterparts do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Sterope(f): 9:15pm On Apr 18, 2018
@OP, it is better you ask questions than assume. Have you asked the health professionals what the roles and responsibilities of consultant nurses and the rest would be? I do not think they would include that of a doctor or a consultant doctor. That can never happen. Medical doctors do not need to get worked up.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by bornolowu(m): 9:16pm On Apr 18, 2018
naijaking1:

Big ignoramus, when you get your Pharm. D, come maybe I give you 1 year residency to become a clinical pharmacist. Then, and only then I can equate you to my second year surgical resident.
he is not even equal to a surgical resident..damn, stop giving him hope..lolz
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by JoannaSedley(f): 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2018
quatrevingtdix:

please always arm yourself with information before talking.
I have been an onlooker silently viewing this threads for days but couldnt stomach It any longer.
This advanced world have CMDs who is a doctor, always a doctor, then a board consisting of other people, which is headed by the CEO or board chairman [as is obtainable in nogeria[]..so its the same thing here too, the board or CEO os just an oversight function.
But the management is left to the CMD.
Quote your source.
Reference please.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by idu1(m): 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2018
Follygunners:

Imagine, dis one na ordinary 9ja nurse and go dey make noise like say she me qualified M.D. grin

Chai... Just imagine if she be M.D.

Listen and listen good. It took me ~+8yrs of progressive medical school and training (residency included). So, keep mum when real pple dey yan, abeg. angry angry

Thanks!

Who be this one?

How much is your salary?

3 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by HillsBlaze(m): 9:18pm On Apr 18, 2018
Follygunners:

Imagine, dis one na ordinary 9ja nurse and go dey make noise like say she me qualified M.D. grin

Chai... Just imagine if she be M.D.

Listen and listen good. It took me ~+8yrs of progressive medical school and training (residency included). So, keep mum when real pple dey yan, abeg. angry angry

Thanks!

Your reply smacks of ignorance and shows the need for you to go back to school and receive further training.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by JoannaSedley(f): 9:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
Mires:

A kettle calling a pot black. Please, I don't want to laugh this night. It's a known fact that health workers in all totality including medical Drs can hardly write correct and constructive English. Nigerian trained health workers who want to be paid a million naira before they can deliver quack services to patients.
You can laugh out loud. It is your night to shine. Doesn't bother me one bit.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by eleojo23: 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2018
bornolowu:
why not choose another title , must it be "consultant". they could use expert or whatever. It'inferiority complex if you ask me!!

Oh crap...so consultant is only reserved for doctors, right?

Where did this one come from?

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by teflondoncuzo(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2018
Who ever write this Piece of thrash is a very big fool

3 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by zhyzhy: 9:21pm On Apr 18, 2018
It's been long I've heard someone speak the truth so eloquently. It's a pity we are in a country where cutting corners and militancy is the bane. Saner climes are using this opportunity to rob us of the few brilliant ones we have and of cause our leaders are not perturbed.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Sterope(f): 9:21pm On Apr 18, 2018
Apologies!

But you do know that the goal of most doctors is to become chief physicians/consultants or have their own hospitals.

Mobsync:

How do Hospital CEOs get to where they are?

In studying this list of “20 New Hospital CEOs to Know”, it seems that most of the CEOs have a couple things in common:

They served as COOs of hospitals before. COO, the Chief Operating Officer, delegates day to day operations and reports to the CEO, who is usually too busy to review production quotas and operations daily.

They held a Masters in Healthcare Administration, Business Administration or Nursing from an accredited university.

They held previous positions in strategic management, business and executive leadership. (Meaning medical expertise isn’t all CEOs need to have!)
They had about 15 or more years of experience in healthcare before they became the CEOs of major hospitals. (Patience is a must.)
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Amarabae(f): 9:21pm On Apr 18, 2018
eleojo23:

Oh crap...so consultant is only reserved for doctors, right?

Where did this one come from?
Lower your voice before they say that you are envying them. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by greenprince(m): 9:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
In my university it takes 6 years to get a degree as a Doctor of Medicine and 5 to get one as a Doctor of Pharmacy. Funny thing is, some medical students laugh at pharmacy students and actually believe they suffer more (especially concerning tighter schedules and more chemical courses than physiological or anatomical ones) I don't know how intense the training in Nigeria is, but as a doctor, I feel I should be less concerned with what a med lab scientist or nurse claims to be....... as long as I know full well what I'm doing and I can prove it, that should matter less.

Besides, medical students here only spend extra years hustling for residency et al, while pharmacy guys for instance start making all the cash and bagging PhDs real quick. In the long run though, overtaking is allowed grin

4 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by hairyman(m): 9:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
The mentality that prompted this post is one of the reasons discord keeps arising in the health sector. You mentioned the salaries of doctors in canada, that salary reflects the standard of living in that country. If you want to make 180mil annually, resign and get into business or move to Canada. Because in Nigeria, 180mil is a huge amount of money available only to the very wealthy. It is good also that your mentioned Canada, it is bad however that you chose to mention only Canadian points supporting your argument, you failed to mention that there are nurse surgeons for instance over there (infact a nurse surgeon was once US surgeon general, not a doctor!!!, there are consultant physiotherapists and other consultants. Remember that a Dr is addressed as such historically, only as a result of function, some sort of honorary title. Degree obtained after school is MBBS: Bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery. There is no doctor attached to that. Functional title can as well apply to a physiotherapist and very well so. A doctor might have a nurse to order around but not a nutritionist whose field he doesn't know, not a physiotherapist whose field he doesn't know either, not a Physiologist whose field he knows only off Guyton and no more.
That's all by the way, what problem does doctors have with what others want to earn,JOHESU embarked on strike partly because they want FG to honour agreements made in the past!!! Why should that bother doctors? I cannot wrap my head around that. Why should doctors attempt to dictate what others earn?!!! Why should there be a static ratio which the government must follow? If a nurse earns x then a doctor must earn 5x. That is ridiculous at best. It smacks of a pathological superiority complex in a system that should.work as a team.
Yes other professionals have a right to consultancy, if they demand for it by virtue of experience gained in a hospital, why not? Does a doctor not become a consultant equally by such experience in addition to passing some exams. If someone is versed enough in his field and is suitably qualified then he can be a consultant. It is not a challenge to doctors, it a title earned!!! As is obtainable in numerous other fields outside the health sector. Subjective ideas about value is great, it is however no deterrent. Concerning intra professional disagreements between RN and Bsc N etc, what has that got to do with anything.
Keep at your grade level 12 and don't tell a health worker to desist from asking the government for agreed emoluments for his grade level 8!!!

OgaInnocent:
I was prompted to script this piece when I read yesterday from the comment of certain moniker here called amarabae, that the problem the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) put themselves is being orchestrated by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA /Doctors) .
#(screenshot below) #

Inasmuch as the veracity of such claim by such an anonymous online user remains inconsequential, I still wish to educate the unsuspecting public on certain things of paramount and topical significance.

Before I continue, I thought it worthwhile to introduce myself, so that you take cognizance of my biases, if any. I am NOT a medical doctor, at least for now, thus, suffer not yourself in trying to tag this as "espirit des corps" game.

Now, it is no longer news that JoHESu is on strike for reasons bordering on salary and hospital hierarchy.
The news is here:
... https://www.nairaland.com/4456282/federal-health-workers-under-umbrella/3#66805229

ON SALARY:

I wouldn't comment on that because that is the business of the the govt. But let it be on record that if someone should complain of salary, it is the doctors. Nigerian Doctors cannot talk in the presence of their colleagues practicing abroad. They are the most underpaid persons with relation to the value offered. You can imagine the amount Canadian doctors are paid that made them to protest last time. An average consultant doctor in canada receives about 500,000 (about 180 million naira) dollars yearly. A consultant in nigeria is struggling with 10million naira yearly. Hence the reason 90% of Nigerian doctors are jetting out of the country, with many on the way out also. Even the few that are staying, are doing so, due to some supplementation coming from private practice. Otherwise, with the rate at which other countries are ready to issue visa to doctors, Nigeria may soon run out of doctors.
The truth is everyone needs a salary increase because cost of goods have increased, starting from teachers. However, the issue of salary still remains their business with the govt, but note that if your salary is increased to that of a doctor, the doctors will seek their own increase. It is natural to act that way.

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

I heard they want to be given consultant nurse, consultant physiotherapist, consultant Med Lab Scientist etc.

People need to understand something. The hospital is structured in such a way that every treatment /instruction must be directed from the Consultant Physician or Consultant Surgeon. No patient receives anything in the hospital unless the doctor says so. The reason is not far-fetched. It is in the best interest of the patient, so that he/she is not malhandled. Imagine when we introduce a consultant nurse, a doctor will give his own instructions and the nurse will also like to execute his own consultancy expertise by giving his own instructions, at the end, the patient, is at the receiving end. The practice is that the doctor is and must be the head of the patient management team.

Most nurses are clamoring for consultancy because of the knowledge they acquire by virtue of working in hospital for years. They feel they can now challenge the doctor.

I will give an analogy: In Catholic church, we have the parish priest, we have the catechist. By virtue of working at the alter for about 10years, the catechist can comfortably celebrate the mass. Infact he can even celebrate more than the priest if given opportunity. He can also be more prayerful than the priest. But no matter the condition, the catechist can never celebrate mass or be equated to the priest simply because he can do what the priest can do if given the opportunity. There is formal way of becoming a priest, and it is open to everyone, thus, if the catechist wishes to be celebrating mass, he should simply enroll into the seminary, and boom, he becomes a priest. That is the formality.

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

There are two types of nurses, we have those that attended school of nursing(Registered Nurse. RN). we also have those that are studying nursing in university (B. Sc). The truth is that the BSc holders are paid far higher than the RN holders. Why is it so? In terms of work, I need not tell you that, the RN holders are the ones that do the major suffering in the hospital, and JOHESu will not harmonize their salaries so that all nurses are paid parallel amount. But they want to be paid what doctors (mbbs) are paid. That's hypocrisy.

Medical Laboratory Scientists vs Medical Laboratory Technology

The way Medical lab scientist (Bsc) discriminate against the Med lab technologist (HND) is another case study. You and I know that those polytechnic guys are more practical oriented and cannot be equated with university counterparts. But yet, the Bsc holders still lord it over the HND holders. They claim superiority over them, and yet want equality with doctors. Another hypocrisy.

Med Lab Scientist vs Microbiologist.

I happened to study microbiology in my first degree. As a microbiologist, you cannot have a lab on your own. You must work under a med lab Scientist. Even when the knowledge base is the same among the two disciplines.

Last time on Facebook I saw some graduates of med lab from ABSU hanging stethoscope on their neck, calling themselves diagnostic doctors. Thats so laughable. And that has been the delusion that has been making them think they are equal with doctors. That you can see bacteria in urine in the lab does not make you diagnose a patient of infection. A doctor makes 95% of the diagnosis from history and physical examination, just right in the consultation room. The lab tests are to confirm diagnosis and also check for the other systems that the patient may not be complaining of. Also every med lab Scientist works under a Consultant Chemical pathologist, consultant micro biologist, consultant Histopathologist, or Consultant hematologist as the case may be.

The Way OUT

The truth is that, there should not be the need for all these fracas if everyone remains to his job description and prescription. There is already a job description for doctors, nurses, med lab Scientists etc. If you are not comfortable with the job you do, you can switch and follow the formality laid out for that profession. There shouldn't be need for being a nurse and wanting to do the job of a doctor, or being a doctor and wanting to do the job of a nurse.
A doctor needs a nurse, a nurse needs a doctor, a med lab Scientist needs a doctor and vice versa.

In addition to that, every job has a salary scale, most times the salary does not justify the work they do, but only justifies the time and process it took to get there. The people that take the highest salaries in Nigeria are the people that do nothing. They only go to offices to enjoy the AC and go home at the end of the day. When the month ends, they collect millions. Its unfortunate society has made it that way. Let us have a rethink, and be human. Everyone needs salary increase, starting from teachers to doctors to JOHESU (except our senators ***winks***). The problem is getting it right at the electoral polls.

sscripturas@gmail.com

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by quatrevingtdix: 9:23pm On Apr 18, 2018
I have been an onlooker silently viewing this threads for days but couldnt stomach It any longer.
This advanced world have CMDs who is a doctor, always a doctor, then a board consisting of other people, which is headed by the CEO or board chairman [as is obtainable in nogeria[]..so its the same thing here too, the board or CEO os just an oversight function.

And finally of the other health sector workers ever though of and ever wanted harmony, whats the purpose of a "joint health.. .[JOHESU]" without doctors, is that not ironic.. "joint".
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by DatIjebuBoi: 9:25pm On Apr 18, 2018
[quote author=Mobsync post=66830214]

That statement tells a lot about the kind of doctors we have in this country.

You do not want to be discriminated against yet you have no qualms with discriminating against other medical personnel. You do not want them to head your departments, yet you want to head their departments, the hospital and the entire medical sector.

The hospitals of the advanced nations you guys are always whining about fleeing to are headed by a CEO, who is usually a nurse or an administrator grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue The CEO is never a doctor.

Please educate yourself and stop being backward. Spending 8 years in school does not necessarily mean that you are enlightened. http://www.healthcareadministration.com/becoming-a-hospital-ceo/

So according to you Doctors should never
become CEO of hospital abi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Glitzcaret: 9:26pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:

Point of correction. Doctors can disrespect other health professionals because they are not their rivals. But if there is disrespect by nigerian doctors to JOHESU, it is simply reactionary due to their (JOHESU) continued challenge of the doctors. Imagine a graduate of medical laboratory science hanging stethoscope on his neck and saying he is a diagnostic doctor. Can u imagine that? Does that happen in your civilized setting?

In Nigeria, every one working in the hospital is answering a doctor. Doctors can't just fold hand and watch them. So any action by the doctors is reactionary. Otherwise, what does a doctor gain by victimizing a nurse who has done him no wrong. But when a nurse starts claiming he /she can do what d doctors can do...I wonder!! My brother, just reason that.
As I said it is local champion that is disturbing you, lack of exposure.
×everybody can be a doctor but not a medical doctor
×stethoscope and scrub can be used by all health personel ....it useful to all bro ...in fact I attached pics as evidence
×We are colleagues not rival so you must respect your colleagues

6 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 18, 2018
if you want the benefits of being a doctor, go to medical school. most of these johesu guys are in the end also rans who could not become doctors and who somehow feel entitled to the same benefits. its the nigerian way.

hairyman:
The mentality that prompted this post is one of the reasons discord keeps arising in the health sector. You mentioned the salaries of doctors in canada, that salary reflects the standard of living in that country. If you want to make 180mil annually, resign and get into business or move to Canada.

be very careful what you wish for. doctors are leaving the country in droves. and if the trend continues, local treatment will only be available to the wealthy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ultron12345: 9:28pm On Apr 18, 2018
JoannaSedley:

I barfed when I read your post. I am a graduate nurse like the lady you quoted and I attended anatomy, physiology, clinical chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology lectures with students of medicine, pharmacy, Med lab etc uptill 300 level.
I don't know the kind of muchroom backwater school you graduated from, where you, as a doctor cannot string together a readable sentence in English. So I'd like to remind you that next time when you argue with people, you'd better get your facts right.
If it took you eight years to graduate from medical school then you must be very dull, medicine is a six year course.
you attended all Anatomy, physiology classes with medical students? OK, manageable, but the anatomy and physiology exams you wrote and the ones medical students wrote, are they of the same standard. You might attend classes together (which isn't true most of the time as medical students usually have special classes to cover up more complex and detailed work which others don't need, u might not know of this cos the classes are for only them), but what you are expected to know in those courses is less then 40% of what medical students are expected to know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by bornolowu(m): 9:28pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:
I was prompted to script this piece when I read yesterday from the comment of certain moniker here called amarabae, that the problem the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) put themselves is being orchestrated by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA /Doctors) .
#(screenshot below) #

Inasmuch as the veracity of such claim by such an anonymous online user remains inconsequential, I still wish to educate the unsuspecting public on certain things of paramount and topical significance.

Before I continue, I thought it worthwhile to introduce myself, so that you take cognizance of my biases, if any. I am NOT a medical doctor, at least for now, thus, suffer not yourself in trying to tag this as "espirit des corps" game.

Now, it is no longer news that JoHESu is on strike for reasons bordering on salary and hospital hierarchy.
The news is here:
... https://www.nairaland.com/4456282/federal-health-workers-under-umbrella/3#66805229

ON SALARY:

I wouldn't comment on that because that is the business of the the govt. But let it be on record that if someone should complain of salary, it is the doctors. Nigerian Doctors cannot talk in the presence of their colleagues practicing abroad. They are the most underpaid persons with relation to the value offered. You can imagine the amount Canadian doctors are paid that made them to protest last time. An average consultant doctor in canada receives about 500,000 (about 180 million naira) dollars yearly. A consultant in nigeria is struggling with 10million naira yearly. Hence the reason 90% of Nigerian doctors are jetting out of the country, with many on the way out also. Even the few that are staying, are doing so, due to some supplementation coming from private practice. Otherwise, with the rate at which other countries are ready to issue visa to doctors, Nigeria may soon run out of doctors.
The truth is everyone needs a salary increase because cost of goods have increased, starting from teachers. However, the issue of salary still remains their business with the govt, but note that if your salary is increased to that of a doctor, the doctors will seek their own increase. It is natural to act that way.

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

I heard they want to be given consultant nurse, consultant physiotherapist, consultant Med Lab Scientist etc.

People need to understand something. The hospital is structured in such a way that every treatment /instruction must be directed from the Consultant Physician or Consultant Surgeon. No patient receives anything in the hospital unless the doctor says so. The reason is not far-fetched. It is in the best interest of the patient, so that he/she is not malhandled. Imagine when we introduce a consultant nurse, a doctor will give his own instructions and the nurse will also like to execute his own consultancy expertise by giving his own instructions, at the end, the patient, is at the receiving end. The practice is that the doctor is and must be the head of the patient management team.

Most nurses are clamoring for consultancy because of the knowledge they acquire by virtue of working in hospital for years. They feel they can now challenge the doctor.

I will give an analogy: In Catholic church, we have the parish priest, we have the catechist. By virtue of working at the alter for about 10years, the catechist can comfortably celebrate the mass. Infact he can even celebrate more than the priest if given opportunity. He can also be more prayerful than the priest. But no matter the condition, the catechist can never celebrate mass or be equated to the priest simply because he can do what the priest can do if given the opportunity. There is formal way of becoming a priest, and it is open to everyone, thus, if the catechist wishes to be celebrating mass, he should simply enroll into the seminary, and boom, he becomes a priest. That is the formality.

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

There are two types of nurses, we have those that attended school of nursing(Registered Nurse. RN). we also have those that are studying nursing in university (B. Sc). The truth is that the BSc holders are paid far higher than the RN holders. Why is it so? In terms of work, I need not tell you that, the RN holders are the ones that do the major suffering in the hospital, and JOHESu will not harmonize their salaries so that all nurses are paid parallel amount. But they want to be paid what doctors (mbbs) are paid. That's hypocrisy.

Medical Laboratory Scientists vs Medical Laboratory Technology

The way Medical lab scientist (Bsc) discriminate against the Med lab technologist (HND) is another case study. You and I know that those polytechnic guys are more practical oriented and cannot be equated with university counterparts. But yet, the Bsc holders still lord it over the HND holders. They claim superiority over them, and yet want equality with doctors. Another hypocrisy.

Med Lab Scientist vs Microbiologist.

I happened to study microbiology in my first degree. As a microbiologist, you cannot have a lab on your own. You must work under a med lab Scientist. Even when the knowledge base is the same among the two disciplines.

Last time on Facebook I saw some graduates of med lab from ABSU hanging stethoscope on their neck, calling themselves diagnostic doctors. Thats so laughable. And that has been the delusion that has been making them think they are equal with doctors. That you can see bacteria in urine in the lab does not make you diagnose a patient of infection. A doctor makes 95% of the diagnosis from history and physical examination, just right in the consultation room. The lab tests are to confirm diagnosis and also check for the other systems that the patient may not be complaining of. Also every med lab Scientist works under a Consultant Chemical pathologist, consultant micro biologist, consultant Histopathologist, or Consultant hematologist as the case may be.

The Way OUT

The truth is that, there should not be the need for all these fracas if everyone remains to his job description and prescription. There is already a job description for doctors, nurses, med lab Scientists etc. If you are not comfortable with the job you do, you can switch and follow the formality laid out for that profession. There shouldn't be need for being a nurse and wanting to do the job of a doctor, or being a doctor and wanting to do the job of a nurse.
A doctor needs a nurse, a nurse needs a doctor, a med lab Scientist needs a doctor and vice versa.

In addition to that, every job has a salary scale, most times the salary does not justify the work they do, but only justifies the time and process it took to get there. The people that take the highest salaries in Nigeria are the people that do nothing. They only go to offices to enjoy the AC and go home at the end of the day. When the month ends, they collect millions. Its unfortunate society has made it that way. Let us have a rethink, and be human. Everyone needs salary increase, starting from teachers to doctors to JOHESU (except our senators ***winks***). The problem is getting it right at the electoral polls.

sscripturas@gmail.com
thanks for the good write up.. this is the best period JOHESU has to achieve its demands.our current set of leaders are nothing to write home about. If JOHESU doesn't achieve its demands in this era of leaders, I doubt it will ever get the same salary as the doctor, because the salary of doctors and other health workers is not same in other parts of the world.... fight only a just course not the one that is senseless and baseless.... How many JOHESU members died of lassa or ebola, it has been majorly doctors yet, even the engineer with the generator and the record staff who may not even meet the patient wants to be paid same salary as the doctor.. its just senseless
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by eleojo23: 9:29pm On Apr 18, 2018
ultron12345:
and who told u doctors don't respect others. In civilized nations, do nurses, lab scientists and co insult and hate on doctors the way their Nigerian counterparts do

It is Nigerian doctors who created this toxic work environment with their immaturity...

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ultron12345: 9:30pm On Apr 18, 2018
Sterope:
Doctors cannot disrespect other health professional. If you are in the medical profession because you want to continue to be a bully, I hope you get what you deserve. Arrogant prick!

but health professionals can disrespect doctors abi.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Buffalowings3(m): 9:31pm On Apr 18, 2018
godisgreat4lyf:
Nigerian Doctors are local champion, none of Nigeria doctor have successfully carried out kidney transplant, yet they compare themselves to doctors in a civilized nation. Nurses sell more in civilized nation. Doctors has abandoned clinical practice to administration, while some people red hospital management, nobody is saying that doctors is head of medical team, but shouldnt suppress other professionals, other paramedics still want to grow in their own carrier. Nurses spend 7yrs in the University with nysc and internship inclusive likewise pharmacy, medical lab. Doctors spend 8yrs, just 1 yr different. Then entry point for doctors GL 13,pharmacy and medical lab 10,graduate nurses 8.when circular came nurses to be upgraded to 10,doctors will sit on it. In outside world, in US a nurse is the surgeon general. What johesu is asking is fairness, I feel this can be resolved by round table discussion, health sector can be better by absolute team work. My opinion.

Don't be ignorant

Talk about what you know sad

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4089648/
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Sterope(f): 9:33pm On Apr 18, 2018
Health profesaionals cannot disrespect doctors. Why should either side disrespect one another?

I countered your ill-thought reason.

ultron12345:
but health professionals can disrespect doctors abi.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Zoken: 9:33pm On Apr 18, 2018
Abeg, does the value of doctors' salary reduce if other health workers' salary is increased? Or do they stop being consultants if others are? I don't see how improving the welfare of a set of people by fg becomes
a nightmare for another set of ppl.
Na wah for this kind mentality ooo.

7 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by AZeD1(m): 9:33pm On Apr 18, 2018
eleojo23:
I think we need to start having hospital CEO's who are not medical doctors but who studied healthcare management or other health discipline instead of allowing Medical doctors to do the job.

There will be more sanity in the system.

The CEO's should be investment bankers or people who know how to raise money and also know that excellent service delivery would bring in more money.

On the other hand, I saw what the JOHESU members are striking for and in my opinion, all of them should be fired.
Over the years, Nigerian unions have been "passing their boundaries".

Imagine telling your employer to raise the retirement age? Are they (JOHESU) going to fund it? Same thing with "hiring more professionals"
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Mobsync(m): 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2018
quatrevingtdix:

I know what I wrote up there.

Everywhere, the role of a CEO is an oversight function. He coordinates other departments under him to achieve a goal.

In the case of foreign hospitals, the CEO coordinates other departments as you rightfully suggested. He is also the head of management and runs the hospital with the aid of the Chief Operating Officer.

The CMD has nothing to do with management. He is only in charge of the doctors in the hospital. And yes, he goes to the ward and surgery because he is considered a doctor and not an administrator.

Foreign hospitals have an executive management board headed by the CEO with the CMO/CMD (Chief Medical Officer) and CNO (Chief Nursing Officer) as members alongside other chiefs.

Here in Nigeria, the office of the CEO has been merged with that of the CMD just to satisfy the greed of doctors.

At the end of the day, the doctor can no longer perform his basic task since he has been bogged down by administrative duties he shouldn't have been doing in the first instance.

If I may ask, with the exception of private hospitals, how many doctors here in Nigerian hospitals still go to the wards after becoming CMD?

None, I must say. They wouldn't even have the time if they wanted to.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Buffalowings3(m): 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2018
This johesu sef
Everyday na strike
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Follygunners: 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2018
JoannaSedley:

Really?
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Follygunners: 9:37pm On Apr 18, 2018
HillsBlaze:

Your reply smacks of ignorance and shows the need for you to go back to school and receive further training.

JoannaSedley:

HillsBlaze(m): Quote Post

idu1(m): Quote Post

Who be this one?

How much is your salary?

I hear all of una... No qualms I guess... undecided lipsrsealed angry sad

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Sterope(f): 9:38pm On Apr 18, 2018
You are beginning to get ahead oof d yourself

You qupted a source of just one country and you consider it fact around the world? What are you on? FYI, there are countries who appoint doctors as CEOs or business administrators.

Mobsync:

I know what I wrote up there.

Everywhere, the role of a CEO is an oversight function. He coordinates other departments under him to achieve a goal.

In the case of foreign hospitals, the CEO coordinates other departments as you rightfully suggested. He is also the head of management and runs the hospital with the aid of the Chief Operating Officer.

The CMD has nothing to do with management. He is only in charge of the doctors in the hospital. And yes, he goes to the ward and surgery because he is considered a doctor and not an administrator.

Foreign hospitals have an executive management board headed by the CEO with the CMO/CMD (Chief Medical Officer) and CNO (Chief Nursing Officer) as members alongside other chiefs.

Here in Nigeria, the office of the CEO has been merged with that of the CMD just to satisfy the greed of doctors.

At the end of the day, the doctor can no longer perform his basic task since he has been bogged down by administrative duties he shouldn't have been doing in the first instance.

If I may ask, with the exception of private hospitals, how many doctors here in Nigerian hospitals still go to the wards after becoming CMD?

None, I must say. They wouldn't even have the time if they wanted to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Drugs That Can Make One Last In Bed / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Bola Ahmed Tinubu Health Centre (Photos) / Lady Commits Suicide After Losing Her 5-Year Old Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.