Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m (8793 Views)

Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition / HELP!!! Is There Anything I Can Sue MTN For? / Get 1gb For #100 On Mtn For Free (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by semid4lyfe(m): 4:16pm On May 15, 2010
Treasure hunt: Subscriber Sues MTN, Demands N210m
By Mike Odiegwu, Calabar
Saturday, 15 May 2010

A subscriber in Calabar, Cross River State, Mr. Obi Osaje, has dragged one of the leading Global System for Mobile telephone providers, MTN Nigeria Communications Limited, to court over the company‘s treasure hunt competition.

The subscriber, among other things, is asking MTN to pay him N210m as damages.

Already, a Calabar High Court has fixed May 19, 2010 to begin hearing on the suit which borders on allegation that the company violated the rules of its concluded treasure hunt competition.

Osaje, who participated in the competition, is asking the court to declare him the winner and to order MTN to pay him damages for tort of deceit.

Specifically, the plaintiff in the suit is ”claiming the sum of N10m only being the grand prize for the competition” and ”another sum of N200m only being damages in aggravated terms for the tort of deceit, psychological trauma, worries and anxiety the claimant was exposed to.”

He is also seeking a ”declaration that the action of the defendant, its agents, servants and workmen in throwing open the MTN treasure hunt competition, an intellectual exercise, only to turn around after the end of the duration of contest to adopt other methods such as lucky dip approach; and in refusing to publish the phone numbers and scores of the competitors including the claimant herein.”

MTN had in October 2008, made open and published to members of the public a very enticing competition called ”MTN Treasure Hunt” which made its debut as an intellectual exercise for an opportunity to win prizes through entry to a premium rate short code 77777.

The competition was said to have been premised on strong assurances that the participant with the overall highest score at the end of the game would win the grand prize of N10m while those with daily and weekly highest scores would win daily and weekly cash prizes respectively.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005152571829
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by inze(m): 4:44pm On May 15, 2010
na wa oo, everybodi wan sue . . .

Hon.sule, where u dey na, come make we cook-up something to sue emptyN sef, probably for not compensating me for using over 10GB on mobile in a month . . . .
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 15, 2010
lol. . .make we sue nepa,we dey pay bills and we nor dey see light
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by semid4lyfe(m): 6:25pm On May 15, 2010
Me wan sue emptyN for the poor quality and lack of durability of their sim cards. . . grin grin. In the last I year, I've had 3 sim card registration failures (on the same sim. . .imagine doing a welcome back for a welcome back sim, lol). In fact, the most recent was last week Friday and I just went to the E-center to do a welcome back today. I've had my Zain and Etisalat sims for like forever and I've never experienced such with the sims. I'm beginning to think emptyN deliberately lowered the quality of their sim cards so they can have people do welcome back, lol.

On a serious note, me thinks the guy was greedy & gullible AND put too much stock in the promo but still, he has a good case. Why should emptyN shift the goalpost in the middle of the match. .? or was it stated in the said promo that the rules could be changed at any time?
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by temmytanny(m): 6:48pm On May 15, 2010
i think its good to sue companies like that so that they can learn not to deceive us again.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by waleski(m): 7:11pm On May 15, 2010
our judicial system wil frustrate d guy
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by aieromon(m): 7:41pm On May 15, 2010
This is what you get when you want to be an overnight millionaire.Only God knows how much of his life's savings he put into the stupid game.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Woke4all(m): 7:51pm On May 15, 2010
waleski:

For sure.

9ja na 9ja the one wey dey vex me pass na zain naira rain promo.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by eldee(m): 8:09pm On May 15, 2010
If he gets that 210mill, I'll sue him for 200 mill for the tortuous act of causing shock and psychological harm I went through after seeing the story. grin grin
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by segzicres(m): 8:19pm On May 15, 2010
dunno if he has a case but good one- they will sit up now.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Akosbaba(m): 8:37pm On May 15, 2010
Trauma ko trauma ni.na to find case sue service provider,no be today mobile operators don dey chop masses money
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by DeepSoul(f): 9:09pm On May 15, 2010
As long as it MTN, sue!!
Blorry armu robbers with their yeye Fastlink! angry angry angry

And while we are at it, sue Nigerian Police too!
For causing unnecessary traffic because of N20 N100 angry
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Acidosis(m): 9:12pm On May 15, 2010
emptyN in collaboration with some idiotic lawyers will frustrate this man.
I can't imagine a single man fighting the biggest network in Nigeria.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by semid4lyfe(m): 9:14pm On May 15, 2010
Make una nor blame the guy too much o. . .shebi na person like am hammer $1M for etisalat promo grin grin
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by toluxa1(m): 9:16pm On May 15, 2010
waleski:

From the story, I dont think the guy is an 'ordinary' guy o. He might be a Layer or something. Not just anybody can stand up and sue MTN for 210M.

semid4lyfe:

On a serious note, me thinks the guy was greedy & gullible AND put too much stock in the promo

I dont understand what you mean by these as I see nowhere in the report where it states that he invested alot of money in the promo. He played it but doesnt mean he 'put too much stock' in it.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by honsule(m): 9:25pm On May 15, 2010
inze:

na wa oo, everybodi wan sue . . .

Hon.sule, where u dey na, come make we cook-up something to sue emptyN sef, probably for not compensating me for using over 10GB on mobile in a month . . . .

grin grin grin grin grin. I dey kampe.I will soon serve them with writ of summons for their inability to provide 3G,and poor Network service in Bwari,Nigerian Law skol contrary to this statement "MTN’s overriding mission is to be a catalyst for Nigeria’s economic growth and development, helping to unleash Nigeria’s strong developmental potential not only through the provision of world class communications but also through innovative and sustainable corporate social responsibility initiatives."
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by icon2: 9:39pm On May 15, 2010
? ? cheesy 210m dats a huge sum. Bros me, rem me if u win d case. I'l rem u in my prayers, But come 2 tink of it guy u dy STUPID 2 tk a promo dat serious.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Otinkpu: 9:43pm On May 15, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by honsule(m): 9:48pm On May 15, 2010
Deep Soul:

As long as it MTN, sue!!
Blorry armu robbers with their yeye Fastlink!  angry angry angry

And while we are at it, sue Nigerian Police too!
For causing unnecessary traffic because of N20 N100  angry

Many pple don't know their onions.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by semid4lyfe(m): 10:00pm On May 15, 2010
toluxa1:

From the story, I dont think the guy is an 'ordinary' guy o. He might be a Layer or something. Not just anybody can stand up and sue MTN for 210M.
True! Poor man nor dey sue for Naija. . .but make e nor be say im lawyer dey take style open office on top im head o. . . grin grin
toluxa1:

I dont understand what you mean by these as I see nowhere in the report where it states that he invested alot of money in the promo. He played it but doesnt mean he 'put too much stock' in it.
By stock, I mean he attached too much importance to it and not money. Anyway, me thinks he must have spent some substantial amount of money playing the yeye game for him to resort to this course of action. . .Shey u never see people wey come on top Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and talk se dem don spend over 50K before getting on the hotseat? I mean. . .it's senseless for him to sue if all he spent playing the yeye promo isn't much coz the legal expenses he'll incure from the case alone is going to be humongous.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by gidson12(m): 10:41pm On May 15, 2010
I'm watching
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 15, 2010
My brother was just complaining. . . Their technique was just too fraudulent! I guess they must have learned somethings from GSM scammers who send messages to people about promos and end up ripping them off!

I lost 100 naira to mTn, same goes for my bro. . . My mum just kept on sending the damn text message. . . I'm sure she must have spent 20k on that silly promo!

Omo. . . Me sef go sue mTn (Mobile Thieves in Naija) grin
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by oseiwe(m): 11:03pm On May 15, 2010
The guy go lose. MTN and our lawmakers na paddy paddy. Na land of bribery and corruption be dis.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Jibson999(m): 11:13pm On May 15, 2010
mtn ur best connection
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Amya(f): 11:22pm On May 15, 2010
It'd be really nice if the dude wins the case. It'd teach all those telecom operators to ease up on their fraudulent acts.

Methinks anybody who plays those gameshows need to have their heads checked.

How can anybody in this day and age fund million dollar vacation trips for an aging telecoms executive. . .how?
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by COOLDK(m): 11:31pm On May 15, 2010
Hey! What a gud idea, i go sue eMpTyNet 4 allown us to dey use Operamini 4 free on our fone.
2. i go sue dem 4 kipn people awake 4 EXTRAWAKE oh! sorry EXTRACOOL
3. Yes! Finaly 4 poor network. (gues i go make money oooo)
190 & PWEETY4ME where u dey?
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by mendax: 11:35pm On May 15, 2010
:-x
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by oge4real(f): 11:38pm On May 15, 2010
The man will just incure more expenses for himself.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by toluxa1(m): 11:41pm On May 15, 2010
I think GLO too should be sued. Infact na their own worst pass sef. Especially for that Win and . . . something promo (TEXT WIN TO 555).
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by jle(f): 11:53pm On May 15, 2010
dat treasure hunt, i no wan remember am at all. Na my money 4 school fees wey i take do am.Till now i neva get myself,na God go punish their papa and mama. And they stil get mind dey send me text for GO,another promo. dey don see mugu. Ndi ara
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by babaowo: 12:17am On May 16, 2010
i pray you win the case.because mtn will go
all length to give the chief judge and your own
lawyer like 5million naira each, while you waiting to
receive 210 million. my advice is if you
reduce your price to like 12 to 15million
maybe they can just have mercy on you.
Re: Treasure Hunt: Subscriber Sues Mtn For N210m by Tattooboy: 12:19am On May 16, 2010
MTN get Messi skills but i be Lucio the i know trip for em at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Do You Know That Fear Of Being Without Your Mobile Phone Is A Mental Illness? / NOKIA Come Back With NOKIA C1 See Specs And Pic / How Oppo Nigeria Turned Laycon Into Sales Boy In Computer Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.