Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? (28547 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question, “Tell Me About Yourself.” / Urgent Tips On How To Answer The Interview "What Are You Bringing To The Table / How To Answer The "What Are Your Greatest Strengths?" Question In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Pamela96(f): 12:55pm On Apr 19, 2018

This question has been known to be used by many employers of labour since the beginning of industrialization and believe me, it's a very tricky question. A question that has no definite and qualified answer. A question that could cost you…your dream job.
A question that simplifies your worth, or at least what you think you are worth. Believe it or not, most recruiters asking this question already have an amount in mind to pay you. Though in some cases, they may genuinely ask this in a bid to see if they can afford you, especially if they know you are very qualified for a better position or job. Other times, it's just a test to see how ambitious you are. This is a very important question that you should deliberate on before giving out any definite answer since your well-being depends on it.

The good news?
They have probably already considered giving you the job and there's a higher chance you will get it if only you give a fair price. Most times, this could be just like every other negotiation you do when trying to strike a deal. However, if your answer should trigger any sign of pride or they should sense that you could be ungrateful, you could lose the job. As a matter of fact, to make things easier, you should already have an answer to this before coming for the interview but you should also be able to read the body language of your recruiter and together with the nature of your interview, you should be able to analyse and figure out the kind of answer they expect from you.

What does it really mean?
It could mean a lot of things including the fact that they may be trying to see how greedy you are. It means you should tell them your worth. You should give them a reason to work with you. Are your services affordable? I once had a friend who fell into this trap. The moment he was asked this question, he was convinced that he's gotten the job. He was convinced that they actually wanted him to choose his own salary package. Well, do I still need to say what happened next? The greedy side of him came to play. I mean, who would demand a smaller amount if given the chance of a better pay? He had to request as much as he could and actually had himself convinced that it was a good idea. Well, he got fired even before he could get the job. Do not be too sure that you will get the job because they may actually still have a list of candidates to choose from. Perhaps, who gets the job will depend on the answer you give to this question. Sometimes, even if you are worth it, the company may still reject your services if your pay scares them. At the same time, giving them a small figure wouldn't be a good idea either since this will make your services seem less valuable.

The best way to be prepared for it.
Have you held the same job position before? If yes, what was the salary structure of the company? Was the company larger or smaller compared to the one you currently applying for? A larger company will likely pay more compared to a small company. How about the industry? Companies in oil and gas will pay more than financial institutions. If your former employer was a billionaire in the oil and gas industry, please do not expect a product distribution company to pay you the same amount. Also, what position are you applying for? Is it a better position compared to your former workplace? If so, request a higher pay. Overall, you should be prepared for this by doing the necessary research about the company and making comparisons with your former employer. Simply finding out the salary structure of the company will go a long way in getting you through this simple but tricky question. Then again, you shouldn't forget to take your worth into consideration. Depending on your skills, professionalism, experience and educational qualifications, you should consider saying the amount people like you should earn.

When I ask this question, I expect you to give me an estimate of what people of your skillset are being paid in the industry. I probably already know this but would love to give you a say in your paycheck. This is because employees who chose their salary structure are less likely to revolt or request a raise anytime soon. People want to be heard or at least think they are in control. This could also be the reason you are being asked this question. If you had a previous job, simply stating the amount you were paid would do. Otherwise, you could just raise the pay a bit by adding your expenses (e.g transportation if you live far compared to your previous job) but whatever you add, you should be able to defend it with quality reasons and understand that the company has the final say.

What not to say.
Do not say you will be okay with whatever the company decides to pay you. People do this and though you may get the job, you are most likely going to be paid lesser than your actual worth. Who would want to spend N400k when they can pay N150k for the same service? Moreover, if you say this, some established corporations may still not employ you because that could make you look like a push-over or someone who cannot make up his own mind. It shows that you don't even know your worth and that you don't trust your abilities. Employers want people who would get the job done. They want people with a lot of zeal and motivation in life. They want people who are an added advantage to their team. If you don't even value yourself enough to negotiate a good pay, how then do you expect your employers to return take you seriously? People who accept anything that comes their way in life usually tend to sleep-walk through their duties. Employers wouldn't want you to neglect your duties because you feel underpaid. Sometimes you may just make a guess on the amount you think you should be paid and end up requesting a lower pay compared to what the employer had in mind and this can cost you more.

If you want to request for a pay below the salary structure of the company for your position, you should state that your pay will be subjected to an increase as you are only trying to show them how valuable you are before demanding the industry standard pay. Let them know you love challenges and don't mind starting small. However, they will have to give you a raise after a few months. You need to project some confidence when saying any of these. Let them know you aren't cheap but please, ensure you aren't. It will be completely ridiculous to request a huge pay for a small job especially if you are less qualified for the position or lack the proper skill-set. If you are moving from a big company to a smaller institution, requesting a bigger pay would be justifiable since they know you could be valuable to them. But it could be very risky to request a bigger pay when moving to a big corporation from a smaller company. It could be realistic since they can afford it but please do not expect a bigger pay just because of the size of a company. If anything, you may be seen as an opportunist and that is not a good omen in a work environment. Simply put, senior staffs wouldn't want to bring in someone to take outrank them.

What is the best answer?
What then should you say? You should first of all, figure out the monthly expenses that this job will cost you (assuming it doesn't come with allowances for such), review your experience and level of qualification for the job (do you have a good track record of successful wins in your previous jobs?), consider the size of the company (can they afford your services?), also take note of how impressed your interviewer is with you (do they feel lucky to have you?). With these, you should be able to give a good range of what you expect to be paid depending on the proposed salary structure of the company. That is why you should always research each company you apply to work with. Knowing some insider things about them could literally prove how committed you are in being a part of their team. And knowing how much previous staffs in the position you are applying for were paid, is a good step to negotiating your pay depending on your level of experience.

Reply them with full confidence on your recommended pay rate. And during the course of your negotiations, if asked why you think you deserve such a paycheck, you should be able to sell yourself completely on how valuable you will be to their team. This will work best if you have some experience in such a job or if you have an outstanding track record and a great success rate in completing astonishing projects. Just don't demand an outrageous some or a low pay. Ensure your paycheck request is within the industry standard or a bit above it. If I was being paid N190k in my previous workplace, I have a good track record and this is a better job, I would request to be paid up to N250k while being open to further negotiations.

Overall, people with a broad level of experience and qualification are in a better position to demand a higher pay compared to fresh graduates with no experience. However, do not go short-charging yourself. If possible, demand for the industry standard salary of people of your profession within your location. This doesn't mean you could go demanding for an unrealistic pay. Doctors in America could earn more compared to doctors in Nigeria. Give your figure based on your profession, location, company size, previous pay, experience, qualification, expenses and the salary structure of the company. Nevertheless, the job you apply for, shouldn't necessarily depend on the pay. There are several other ways to make the money you need while doing what you love. Just make sure you have the passion for the job since your productivity depends on it. This is to say, you should go for the work you actually enjoy doing regardless of the pay and if the pay is less, simply create another income stream. With the above tips, I believe I have outlined the major points you need to consider when choosing an answer to this question during your next employment opportunity. However, your inputs are highly welcomed here.

Source: See Ghavoch for links and more

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Meetleader: 10:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
All these long Grammer still did not address the issue...

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Pamela96(f): 3:55am On Apr 20, 2018
Meetleader:
There's no definite answer as it depends on a lot of factors. This is to help you know how best to tackle the question.
Note: The article was originally written by Latii Brayllot who is currently the CEO of Slourish
Learn how to setup a profitable membership website here https://www.ghavoch.com/setup

8 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by tstx(m): 7:41am On Apr 20, 2018
Everybody is now an expert....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by manforgu: 7:42am On Apr 20, 2018
Gud
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Flexherbal(m): 7:42am On Apr 20, 2018
Noted !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Benjom(m): 7:42am On Apr 20, 2018
That's alright
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by JARUSHUB: 7:43am On Apr 20, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by qanda: 7:43am On Apr 20, 2018
Tell me about your salary expectation

To be invited for a Job interview is a BIG OPPORTUNITY to land your DREAM Job. Make the opportunity COUNT by preparing adequately for Job Interviews. Download most asked Interview Questions and Suggested/Sample Answers from Q and A App (FREE DOWNLOAD)

This is a tricky zone. This interview question put you on your toes. Providing a fitting answer can make you land the job.
Ensure to research the salary scale for the position you’re applying for. This will help you negotiate more confidently.

Never bring up salary issues at Interviews. If the interviewer brings it up, you have to be smart with your response.

If you know the exact amount, do not mention that figure to the interview panel. Give them the bracket or range.
If the organization pays N100,000 for the position you wish to occupy, tell the recruiters you’re looking at a salary between N100,000 and N150,000.

You could also respond with:
“The current industry rate for this position ranges from N90,000 to N150,000 per month. Although I’m not certain how your salary compare to this, my salary expectation is within this range”.

Download most asked Interview Questions and Suggested/Sample Answers from Q and A App (FREE DOWNLOAD)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Worldbest281: 7:45am On Apr 20, 2018
OK
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by fosachens: 7:46am On Apr 20, 2018
click here for more actionable business tips

https://www.fiverr.com/emmanuelwrites/develop
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by ddjay: 7:48am On Apr 20, 2018
Meetleader:
Ha!!! Oga pls kneel down there, hands up and close your eyes quickly

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Nevamind: 7:48am On Apr 20, 2018
Hmm
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Christafarian(m): 7:49am On Apr 20, 2018
Who else went straight to the part titled, WHAT IS THE BEST ANSWER?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by oyetunder(m): 7:49am On Apr 20, 2018
Pay me my Salary...simple. In this dispensation that Naija youths are ready to work for free just to keep their hands busy and prove Buhari wrong.

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by rezzy: 7:50am On Apr 20, 2018
Nice post

I remember I told my interviewers 60k after weighing the school structure, the man laughed and said even him doesn't collect 60k, he gave me his number to call him if I'm okay with 25k. After I calculated transport 5k and their 7 o clock resumption, I didn't even bother to call.

Got out from the office, others wanted to know how much I told them, kai, they laughed at me, and said the school doesn't pay up to 30k na. This is a school that collect 90k for tuition fee.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by xtivin(m): 7:50am On Apr 20, 2018
No need being diplomatic in this kind of question, just state your worth with boldness and courage.Nigeria firms are indirectly putting people in slavery because they know people are scared to loose the opportunity. Be firm with your answer and be considerate also so as not to be tag over ambitious.

5 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by omoadeleye(m): 7:54am On Apr 20, 2018
Meetleader:

yeah, i came to check the answer but all is just ephitsles

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by onward4life(m): 7:55am On Apr 20, 2018
Worldbest281:
am not even gonna lie life don tire me as I no get money.... I don't even understand my life again, no way through, doubting my future

Watch what you say!! Bro your enemies understands you better when you complain..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by isaacprinz(m): 7:57am On Apr 20, 2018
abeg this write up is too lengthy. today is my birthday all I need from you friends is likes.

21 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by DavidEsq(m): 7:59am On Apr 20, 2018
Pamela96:

there's no definite answer as it depends on a lot of factors. This is to help you know how best to tackle the question.
My brother, most of our youths don't like to reason between the lines. A science student wld tell u that turning off a kerosene stove, with the wicks fully raised poses no health threat. Yet he wld score a high mark in organic chemistry, which clearly points out the danger in turning off a stove as earlier described.

1 Like

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by ybalogs(m): 7:59am On Apr 20, 2018
The day i will never forget in life was the day my Dad was in the sitting room, I was outside. He called me to help him bring his shoes from his room. I brought the shoe and asked him where I should keep it. Dad said I should keep it on his head. Brothers and sisters, as an obedient child, I kept the shoes on his head. The only thing I remember after placing the shoes on his head is that the earth became void and without form. Everywhere was dark and it felt like Genesis chapter 1:1&2 all over again. �
TGIF

10 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Donpresh95(m): 7:59am On Apr 20, 2018
All this lengthy write ups the vex person. Hit the nail make we know what to say

2 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by talk2emma: 8:00am On Apr 20, 2018
Long talk just tell them to pay you what c ronaldo is been paid
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by babyfaceafrica: 8:03am On Apr 20, 2018
No right way abeg
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 20, 2018
Thanks
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by don4real18(m): 8:13am On Apr 20, 2018
Calculate your annual transportation expense
Calculate your annual feeding expense
Calculate likely utility bills expense
Calculate your annual rent
Calculate the least amount you will want to save per year
Add them together and divide by 3
Your monthly salary shouldn't be less than that
But this is Nigeria where anything goes... Even Dangote shortchanges people

3 Likes

Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by don4real18(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2018
.jj
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by don4real18(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2018
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Vokians(m): 8:17am On Apr 20, 2018
Nice. But how do you answer the question when a company start with the trick of telling you "you known we are facing economic recession and our company have been affected greatly, so how much do we pay you"?
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by Endosteed(m): 8:18am On Apr 20, 2018
Haba we neeed to read a book again
Re: The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? by stpat1(m): 8:25am On Apr 20, 2018
The best way to answer is just to have done a little research on the general pay in the industry for the position.
After that, just go a little higher. That question can only be difficult for to answer is you are a newbie that did not do any research.
If you go too low because you don't want to lose the job, it might appear that you might not know much about the position.
If you go too high, they will begin to wonder if you are serious of just kidding.

If a position is a particular industry is an average of #250,000. You can tell them to pay you #300,000. Its not ways too high and it shows you are ready to add extra value. They may decide to negotiate.

If you were receiving #250,000 at your last place of work, then with your experience it won't be a bad option to request for 300,000 in as much as you can convince then that you are the right person for the job.

Even before they asked you, they already know the range so not putting a figure on it simply shows you are not confident on what you can offer.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Gave Me A New Job In This Recession Period After Losing My Banking Job / Royal Mills & Foods Limited Massive Graduate Trainee Recruitment / Nigeria Customs Service Recruitment 2019 – Final List Of Successful Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.