Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,849 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:27 AM

Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths (1424 Views)

. / How To Post Video Links And Pics To Nairaland? / Keywords In Urls And File Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by DualCore1: 8:02pm On May 15, 2010
Making a mess of structuring your website is the one sure-fire way to cause future stress. If you have files, pages and folders dotted all around your 'Public HTML' folder, as your website grows, it will become increasingly unmanageable and linking pages and files such as CSS, Javascript or PHP can cause a real headache.

Get full details about this from CorrosiveOnline

Then you can come back here and lets do some talking about this.
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 15, 2010
The stuff is ok. But i will say, if you are doing a simple, like say 10 webpage site. That is very much ok.

However, my pattern is very much different from that. I usually make use of only one index.php and everything links
from there. So i might use
home=index.php?page=home
about=index.php?page=about
Now, i can do some tweaks to the .htaccess file to make those links i showed just now render as:
home.html
about.html
In a dynamic pattern.

Now, if the site is rather large, like a 200 page site. You might want to create folders with descriptive name.

mysite.com/news/recent
mysite.com/news/archives
mysite.com/news/archives/nigeria
mysite.com/news/archives/nigeria/lagos

I hope i have made some sense here
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by DualCore1: 1:39am On May 16, 2010
Now I use the same pattern as you too (i think that's what the site was referring to as "php includes"wink but can you explain that .htaccess rewrite process?

*dhtml:

I hope i have made some sense here
Well, you always make sense here (except for the times when your brain derails and you start chasing a babe I am chasing here) so stop hoping things you post make sense. They do tongue
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by Nobody: 6:11am On May 16, 2010
The technique for that .htaccess is what all them drupal and joomla use atimes. As in you can actually make your joomla site use links like
login.html, register.html instead of all them ?com=users&this=that. . .
This technique is called url rewriting. And it has to do with your .htaccess file.

Warning, for some offline servers such as wamp, the url engine of apache is switched off. In that case, you need to open the apache's
httpd.conf and uncomment the line that says:
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
to that it becomes like this:
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

Please check this site for url rewriting:
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/sitemanagement/urlrewriting.html

Url rewriting can be manual or programmatic. I have used it to create pretty urls twice.
I mean, for instance that, i can use that .htaccess for instance to say, if you visit nairaland.com/dhtml
that the browser will load this very page = and that is not redirecting.
It is a similar technique to what facebook uses to do their pages such as facebook.com/diltony or myspace.com/yourname

It is a very old technique, i suspect as old as the apache server too.

DC, please contact me via mail asap. There is a life-threatening emmergency to be resolved.
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by DualCore1: 6:51am On May 16, 2010
Thanks for the info. Will read up on the resources provided and get back if I hit a wall.
Got you IMs at about 2am when I woke up.
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by Nobody: 6:54am On May 16, 2010
Come back to yim before i leave, i am just preparing to leave now. There is something else that just came up shortly this morning, still related to our previous discussions.
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by DualCore1: 7:03am On May 16, 2010
My primary internet connection has failed. I am trynna use a dodgy connection that just wont get Pidgin to connect. Cant even do emails. Give me some 5 mins.
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by c7(m): 8:30am On May 16, 2010
@dc and *dhtml,
the two links are very helpful, keep it up!
Re: Website Folder Structure, Links And File Paths by Nobody: 11:55am On May 16, 2010
thx

(1) (Reply)

Login Scripts Works Locally But Not Online. / Web Designer Urgently Needed For Immediate Employment / Profitarena: Join, Learn And Profits (earn)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.