Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation (8146 Views)

Thugs Invasion: Sagay Blames Saraki For Missing Mace / Benue: Buhari Queries Police IG, Demands Full Report Of Police Operations / Dino Melaye: Senate Summons Abu Vc To Appear Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:46am On Apr 20, 2018
...Wants explanation on collapse of security day gang attacked parliament

...How plot to impeach Saraki, Ekweremadu was foiled

Fred Itua; Molly Kilete, Abuja

The Senate has summoned the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr. Ibrahim Idris and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Mr. Daura Lawal to appear before it to explain Wednesday’s securiy lapses in the National Assembly.

The head of the two security outfits are expected to appear and brief senators on the state of investigation on the invasion and the snatching of the mace, the senate’s symbol of authority.

Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, who made the disclosure after a closed-door session, yesterday, described the invasion as “a very sad testimony, a derogation, and total smear on our democracy and nation.”

Ekweremadu declared: “We believe that there should be consequence for bad behaviour. We swore to uphold the laws of the Federal Republic and the principles of democracy. It still beats the imagination of Nigerians and the civilised world that the attackers passed through the several security checks and barriers into the National Assembly and the inner recesses of this chamber and also escaped with the mace into the thing air despite the well-known fortified surroundings of this parliament.

“Therefore, we hold that it will be a detour to the state of nature where life was lawless and brutish if what happened yesterday is allowed to go unpunished or to be swept under the carpet. It will never happen. We will get to the roots of the matter.

“We call on the Inspector General of Police and Director-General of the State Security Service to ensure that all those who plotted, aided, abated and executed this dastardly affront on our democracy and belittled Nigeria before the international community must be brought to book to serve as a deterrent to others. We will be inviting them next week to brief us on the state of the investigations.”

On Wednesday, at about 11.30am, five persons beat the security in the National Assembly and snatched the mace, while the day’s legislative business was ongoing.

Mulling the need for the National Assembly to have its own police, Ekweremadu said the current security architecture of the parliament was outside the control of lawmakers. He also recalled how what played out on Wednesday had been playing out in many state Houses of Assembly across the country.

“This incident has also brought to the fore the case many of us have always made for a decentrlaised police system. Ordinarily, a big institution like the National Assembly should have its own police, apart from the Sergeants-at-Arm. However, the security of this parliament is fully outside the control of the National Assembly. Instructively, the same gangterism that was witnessed here yesterday has been recorded in various State Houses of Assembly,” he said.

Meanwhile, the IGP, Idris, has returned the stolen mace to the senate. The IGP who was represented by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of Operations, Mr. Habila Joshak, handed over the mace to the Clerk to the National Assembly, Mohammed Sani Omolori.

Ekweremadu acknowledged receipt of the mace on the floor of the Senate.

The Police Force Headquarters in Abuja said the mace was recovered at a flyover before the Abuja City Gate.

Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, ASP Aremu Adeniran, said in a statement that a patriotic passer-by saw it and alerted the Police.

The statement read: “Sequel to the invasion of the Senate Chambers of the National Assembly by some suspected thugs who disrupted the senate plenary session and carted away the mace, IGP Ibrahim K. Idris immediately instituted a high-powered police Investigation and Intelligence Team coordinated by the IGP Monitoring Unit of the Force and further directed a total lock-down of the Federal Capital Territory with intense surveillance patrol and thorough stop and search operations at various police check-points with a view to arresting perpetrators and possible recovery of the stolen mace.

“The police teams engaged in massive raids of identified criminal spots/flashpoints, stop and search operations, visibility and confidence building patrols, intelligence gathering, which forced the suspected miscreants to abandon the mace at a point under the flyover before the City Gate, where a patriotic passer-by saw it and alerted the Police.

“While a discreet investigation into the incident is still ongoing to arrest and bring the perpetrators to justice, the Nigeria Police Force appreciates the spirited members of the public, most especially motorists within Abuja metropolis for their support, cooperation and timely information during the rigorous stop and search operations for the recovery of the mace.”

Meanwhile, Daily Sun has reliably gathered that the invasion and snatching of the mace was a fallout of a meeting held by some lawmakers at the residence of a ranking senator from North Central in Abuja on Tuesday night.

A senator who is familiar with what transpired explained how the news of the plot came to Ekweremadu few minutes after the senate commenced its session.

“What played out on Wednesday didn’t come as a surprise. The only difference is that it happened too suddenly and we didn’t have the needed time to counter them. But I am glad that their plot didn’t work out in the end.

“On Tuesday night in Abuja, there was a meeting held by some senators. At that meeting, they agreed on how to effect a leadership change in the senate, with support from some state actors. But we didn’t know about this until we were already in session on Wednesday.

“If you noticed, some senators who attended the meeting were all present on the floor of the Senate that day. These are the same senators who hardly attend proceedings. But because they had a plan, they all attended plenary.

“In that meeting, they plotted that Omo-Agege will forcefully come into the chamber. And that actually happened. As soon as those hoodlums struck and left with the mace, the plotters were thinking that the Senate was going to adjourn out of fear and close the chamber for the day.

“If that had happened, they would have taken over the Senate. They had planned that as soon as the Senate was deserted, they would reconvene with the mace. Even when they are in the minority, they would removed the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ekweremadu and replace them with loyalists of the president.

“What I think happened was that Omo-Agege was betrayed. We disappointed them. We refused to fight or abandon the senate for anyone and that stopped their plan for now. I know they are still meeting and they will not give up as long as they see Saraki and Ekweremadu as enemies of President Muhammadu Buhari.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/senate-summons-dss-dg-igp/

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by KidsNEXTdoor: 6:57am On Apr 20, 2018
The presidency has a hand in this show of shame
It's glaring for all to see that Buhari is anti democratic

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by LibertyRep: 7:03am On Apr 20, 2018
The IGP and DSS boss should have approached the court immediately the incident happened and seek for order restraining the Senate from inviting them. grin grin

I'm certain one of these judges will be more willing to grant the request sharply.

*Maybe that isn't part of the plot**

What if the invitees are unable to give a convincing defence? The worst the Senate can do is to recommend their sack which PMB won't accede to.

... and the unending bickering continues
What a nation!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Paperwhite(m): 7:20am On Apr 20, 2018
The presidency,APC and security agencies all have a hand in this show of infamy.No doubt about it.

6 Likes

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Bishop4bella(m): 7:30am On Apr 20, 2018
Nigeria security is zero and I'm sure the truth of the matter will be swept under carpet.

Another drama loading

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Donpresh95(m): 10:08am On Apr 20, 2018
Toothless fools that can't do anything rather than summoning .

I KNOW THEY ARE TRYING TO LOOK HARD WORKING IN THE EYES OF THE GULLIBLE ONES.

IF REALLY SENATE HAS POWER AS THEY CLAIM, WHY CAN'T THEY CHANGE ELECTION TIMETABLE, WHAT DID THEY DO WHEN ALI SHERIFF PROVED STUBBORN. THE MENACE WAS TAKING BECAUSE THE SENATOR KNOW THAT NOTHING WILL HAPPEN AT THE END.

NIGERIA POLITICS IS A JOKE. I PITY PEOPLE THAT KILL AND DIE FOR THIS USELESS GOVERNMENT MAY BRAIN FALL ON THEM

3 Likes

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by inoki247: 10:09am On Apr 20, 2018
who don read am. am only seeing maize
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by graphicsgal3000(f): 10:11am On Apr 20, 2018
smiley
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Thickcok01: 10:12am On Apr 20, 2018
Man pikin wan komot for hustle, anoda man dota dey front am wit Bleep.
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by obyback: 10:13am On Apr 20, 2018
Useless pple, they didn't see the need to summon anyone over the many lives lost at the Offa bank robbery. These animals only care about themselves, the earlier the scrapped the Senate the better for us all

2 Likes

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 20, 2018
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 20, 2018
This doesn't concern me. My problem right now, even we are "lazy" as youths to rule the country by 2019, we should be able to get our PVC's and send the mallam back to daura 2019. That statement too go pain me sha. It will never be well with that cow. cry

3 Likes

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by omowolewa: 10:15am On Apr 20, 2018
Please, Seun, how can I change my moniker to 'omo-agege'?
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by okolet(m): 10:19am On Apr 20, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Kazeem47(m): 10:19am On Apr 20, 2018
Both the security operatives and the officials there are aware of everything going on there.how can you allow somebody you dont know to pass through you and into the chamber and stole the mace?

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Rickyzagy: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2018
This film sweet oooo. Upon say their youth are lazy them na fraudsters. Ybs. Rituals
. I know British Queen is happy now

Thank God I'm a BIAFRA OUR SHIP IS SET TO SAIL

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Jabioro: 10:21am On Apr 20, 2018
Croixxx1731:
How come you are the only person advertising mtn sole promo on your special site,even the mtn,the brunt bearer is doing that..you' re scammer
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by cosmatika(m): 10:22am On Apr 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by yeyeboi(m): 10:23am On Apr 20, 2018
Useless senate , useless government

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by JideAmuGiaka: 10:28am On Apr 20, 2018
undecidedWhat played out on Wednesday didn’t come as a surprise. The only difference is that it happened too suddenly and we didn’t have the needed time to counter them. But I am glad that their plot didn’t work out in the end.

“On Tuesday night in Abuja, there was a meeting held by some senators. At that meeting, they agreed on how to effect a leadership change in the senate, with support from some state actors. But we didn’t know about this until we were already in session on Wednesday.

“If you noticed, some senators who attended the meeting were all present on the floor of the Senate that day. These are the same senators who hardly attend proceedings. But because they had a plan, they all attended plenary.

“In that meeting, they plotted that Omo-Agege will forcefully come into the chamber. And that actually happened. As soon as those hoodlums struck and left with the mace, the plotters were thinking that the Senate was going to adjourn out of fear and close the chamber for the day.

“If that had happened, they would have taken over the Senate. They had planned that as soon as the Senate was deserted, they would reconvene with the mace. Even when they are in the minority, they would removed the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ekweremadu and replace them with loyalists of the president.

“What I think happened was that Omo-Agege was betrayed. We disappointed them. We refused to fight or abandon the senate for anyone and that stopped their plan for now. I know they are still meeting and they will not give up as long as they see Saraki and Ekweremadu as enemies of President Muhammadu Buhari.”

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Kennyfancy(m): 10:33am On Apr 20, 2018
ok
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by rickyrex(m): 10:34am On Apr 20, 2018
LibertyRep:
The IGP and DSS boss should have approached the court immediately the incident happened and seek for order restraining the Senate from inviting them. grin grin

I'm certain one of these judges will be more willing to grant the request sharply.

*Maybe that isn't part of the plot**

What if the invitees are unable to give a convincing defence? The worst the Senate can do is to recommend their sack which PMB won't accede to.

... and the unending bickering continues
What a nation!
bros i employed you as a security agency to protect me and on the broad day light I got attacked freely without and storage or effort from you. Do you expect me to believe you were not bribed or influenced to allow such attack before your very eyes. Common bros make we reason am well nah. That shows the level of insurity in our nation. It a sign that where you are today is not save even if your house is beside an army barracks or nearest to a police station.

1 Like

Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by ZarahBuhari: 10:54am On Apr 20, 2018
From what I've been made to understand about this issue now that there seem not to CCTV around the premises.

From the video below, you could see that it was recorded with a phone camera. Compromised agencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoYb6ejJ0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtPUbj2SkY
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by sammieguze(m): 10:58am On Apr 20, 2018
radarada

selfish people.

Scores were killed in Offa, many more in Benue and other parts of the middle belt.
Have they summoned anybody?

Ordinary maze was stolen and now we won't know no peace.

How I wish all of them have been kidnapped or it was a terrorist attack.

I would have been grateful to the perpetrators
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by LibertyRep: 11:05am On Apr 20, 2018
rickyrex:
bros i employed you as a security agency to protect me and on the broad day light I got attacked freely without and storage or effort from you. Do you expect me to believe you were not bribed or influenced to allow such attack before your very eyes. Common bros make we reason am well nah. That shows the level of insurity in our nation. It a sign that where you are today is not save even if your house is beside an army barracks or nearest to a police station.

Bros u no get my gist o
The security agents are clearly complicit in the senate invasion saga. Heads suppose roll but as per say the script was likely written from above, nothing dey happen.

Make we reason am like this, after every every, wetin the Senate fit do the IGP and the DSS boss?
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by steveDpro: 11:41am On Apr 20, 2018
action film about to start watch out for part 1,2,3,4,5and 6
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by K2asure: 12:31pm On Apr 20, 2018
What happened at National Assembly shows that the power of this country is still with the executive, no matter gragra at senate floor they can still make them irrelevant meaning that they are not save too, if they want to play game we them. Why they pending electoral rearrangement they could have continue with it now yeye asofin
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by rickyrex(m): 12:50pm On Apr 20, 2018
LibertyRep:

Bros u no get my gist o
The security agents are clearly complicit in the senate invasion saga. Heads suppose roll but as per say the script was likely written from above, nothing dey happen.

Make we reason am like this, after every every, wetin the Senate fit do the IGP and the DSS boss?
well wetin make this thing dey pain me be say I be Nigerian if not wetin concern me. After all how much them dey pay.
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by adisababa1234: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2018
Senate chamber comprises set of fools and scavengers that are there to drain Nigerians of their resources and wealth but you fail to realise that what you fail to do because of greediness is now getting back at you.Dont be surprise that one day boko haram or gun men will invade the chamber and waste all of you.
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by wakeupafricanyo: 1:17pm On Apr 20, 2018
#getyouPVC

#votewise

DANKWAMBO IS THE ANSWER
Re: Thugs Invasion: Senate Summons DSS DG, Police IG; Demands For Explanation by Onyemabright(m): 1:49pm On Apr 20, 2018
KidsNEXTdoor:
The presidency has a hand in this show of shame
It's glaring for all to see that Buhari is anti democratic
You are a fool goat

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Issues Certificates Of Return To 40 Lagos House Of Assembly Members-elect / Dare Kadiri Drags Ogun Assembly To Court, Demands N1.5bn Damages / Jonathan Promises Free Trade-Zone For Southeast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.