Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,750 members, 7,802,298 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92491 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 11:02am On Jun 15, 2018
@Lucas99 and @Godson201333
Please put an end to this unnecessary distraction. I'd have deleted it but I guess only the mods have that power. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by LUCAS99: 11:05am On Jun 15, 2018
theamerican:
@Lucas99 and @Godson201333
Please put an end to this unnecessary distraction. I'd have deleted it but I guess only the mods have that power. Thanks.

Ok, I will stop now.

Thanks.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 11:14am On Jun 15, 2018
LUCAS99:

Ok, I will stop now.

Thanks.

You're welcome, thank you too.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by LUCAS99: 11:18am On Jun 15, 2018
theamerican:

You're welcome, thank you too.

No problem.

Ima keep it moving from now on...
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by error4040: 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2018
MackyNaija:

I read through this post and the next one where you said 'you called me out' and I wondered what you are talking about..

You made too many assumptions and even after I stated I am not a rich kid, you choose to ignore that but rather form your own ideas.

As for spending $20,000 additional aside the grants, I would say - Who no go, no know.
What is keeping most prospective students back in Nigeria is the lack of knowledge which I have tried to impart into them.
People don't need as much as they think they do.

Someone here said earlier that 'bad is better than worse', please don't compare natural disasters to those that are man-made.

if I choose to sit my arse all day during the summer, that's my business don't start crying.
I volunteered for 2 days, spent some time on the beach and people are hating
cos I don't see any other reason why people like this post of yours.

Don't be quick to jump into conclusions, I have a summer mentorship program for the entire July where I would earn some pay.

About selling of birthright... What brought about this point cos I am confused.
at the bolded, some peeps are nothing but hypocrites bro. they won't plan thier life proper but would become monitoring spirits to others​ lifestyle the next thing they would be judgemental for fvcksake.

PIDGIN2 weldone o
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2018
error4040:
at the bolded, some peeps are nothing but hypocrites bro. they won't plan thier life proper but would become monitoring spirits to others​ lifestyle the next thing they would be judgemental for fvcksake.

PIDGIN2 weldone o
lol u still dey on top pidgin2 matter
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by error4040: 12:37pm On Jun 15, 2018
hammed71:
lol u still dey on top pidgin2 matter
. bro don't blame me grin blame the Witch!!! grin grin grin
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AndyCole16(m): 2:57pm On Jun 15, 2018
peacengine:

Baby, I'm live here in Naija buh av not come across SARS be4 cos I no de hang out anyhow for rong place, na yahoo niggas and cultist dem de worry. For you as a babe SARS shouldn't be ur concern unless ur boyfriend na area. How many people SARS don kill like dat? grin The way u are scared of SARS I'm beginning to suspect the nigga you left behind, must be updating you about his experience grin

Timesup234 is that you?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 3:14pm On Jun 15, 2018
grin
AndyCole16:
Timesup234 is that you?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by rs172(m): 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2018
hammed71:
grin

i think both are pidgin2
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2018
hammed71:
Why lucas dey tell us say e be us citizen.

I think that was unnecessary of him
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 5:07pm On Jun 15, 2018
LUCAS99:

Firstly, I don’t live around Harlem
Secondly, I don’t need you to pay for my Vacation.
I have more than enough money to take a Vacation with my Girlfriend
Besides who goes to Monaco for a Vacation?
I wouldn’t go even if it was free.
Most people go to Jamaica, Paris & London.
Did you say people don't go to Monaco for holidays
Are you from oshogbo grin
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2018
I want to migrate to Dublin Ireland can any one help me with the nessesary informations please!!
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 15, 2018
Nigeria still does not have stable electricity in the 21st century. That's a major setback and the worst thing to happen to this country imo.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2018
Ugosample:

Did you say people don't go to Monaco for holidays

Are you from oshogbo grin
Some people just like to argue unnecessarily. Is Monaco that a popular vacation city? How many people have you known to have gone there?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by freudianslip(m): 10:45pm On Jun 15, 2018
LUCAS99:

Abeg which one is toborgee?

I might have to try it sometime...
na one soup like that o. E make sense sha.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 4:34am On Jun 16, 2018
hammed71:
Why lucas dey tell us say e be us citizen.

But e be citizen
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 4:41am On Jun 16, 2018
Bergoglio:
I want to migrate to Dublin Ireland can any one help me with the nessesary informations please!!

Nnah through school things.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 4:44am On Jun 16, 2018
LUCAS99:

Like I said before I’m not a Yahoo boy.

I’m a Business Man with a legitimate source of income

As it stands now, Jealousy will soon kill you.

Interested bro
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 16, 2018
An argument on relocating to Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzrYoxjIVps

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Tunmise100(m): 11:00am On Jun 16, 2018
EVEN ACTORS DEY COMPLAIN: Nollywood actor Yemi Solade is fed up of Nigeria and has cried out that he may start planning on relocating to another country with his family. Read his rant during an interview with Punchng.com below. Solade noted that although some of his Nollywood colleagues seem to be doing well for themselves, they may be into other things asides from acting. “For the first time in a long while, I gave up on Nigeria. I might decide to relocate to another country and this is what I always criticise my colleagues for. Nigeria is killing me. I have been so patriotic, but I think I have to face the reality now. I have a job that is not putting meals on my table the way it should and I don’t want my children to suffer. It is terrible if we continue to lose our best minds to other countries. I don’t want to have money like Femi Otedola; I don’t pray for it and I don’t need it at my age. All I need are the basic things in life, which I can use to take care of myself, my wife and my children. “I struggle to get good jobs; I have done my best. I should have left Nigeria 20 years ago, but I stayed to contribute my quota to its development. I am getting older; I am older than some of the governors in Nigeria and I cannot be running to them for survival. I cannot steal money like some people do and we all know that stealing is not good. I pay my bills with the pay I get from producers, but it is tiny. I am bleeding inwards right now and it is not good for my age. I have to begin to look elsewhere for survival. “I am a thoroughbred professional. I don’t know what my colleagues do, though I see most of them running after people in government. I cannot serve one or two senators who will probably give me a jeep or any other car. Anytime I want to travel, the senator takes care of my ticket also. But that is not my orientation. I don’t need to run to anyone when I have a job. There is no way anyone will tell me that an actor who drives a luxury car gets the money from acting. Inasmuch as I don’t want to go into details, we all know this. Once our profession is attractive, actors don’t need to struggle to pay their bills. I have been an actor for over four decades; so, if I ask for N2m for a role, is it too much? Wizkid and Davido only perform on stage for a few minutes and they attract millions of naira. I am happy for these young men, but it is not the case for actors who spend long hours on set. The Yoruba arm of the industry is not as lucrative as you think. For me, I just stick to the job and I depend on whatever I earn as an actor from producers. From the look of things, the few of us who started early in the industry are the ones suffering. I am happy for the likes of Odunlade Adekola, who came afterwards and they feel he is better. Since the younger people share the resources with each other, what do I do? I am not a producer and I don’t think there is anything wrong about that. Once a producer calls you and you demand a certain amount, they run away and bring in their untrained friends. The actors who are getting it right should tell us how they have been able to live very comfortable. I have people that I go to for one help or the other, but they trivialise it and I can’t be begging you because I want you to invest in a project. Once you go to them for assistance, they can ask you to link them up with one actress.” https://lailasnews.com/nigeria-is-killing-me-i-might- relocate-soon-yemi-solade-laments/

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 5:10pm On Jun 16, 2018
peacengine:

Please how can i go about it, where do i start?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 6:06pm On Jun 16, 2018
peacengine:

And what if i have some relatives over there, Can i go there through another means?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by sevule(m): 7:08pm On Jun 16, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Waoh...seeing people arguing back and forth from unnecessary comparison BTW countries and who made the best decision over the other.i ask if these people understand what it is to live and let live??.stay your lane and let me stay on mine,my success is not your success,everyone to his/her choice but don't rub yours on my face as being the better choice.
Now,when someone talk about how some RNs make $80k and above,have enough savings,buy houses and how they make over $400 as a cab driver over the weekend and the "how many" theory;(how many can buy a car in Nigeria,yet they drive around on car notes,how many can buy a house in Nigeria yet they are on mortgages and how many can save N30m in Nigeria yet they can't boast of $10k in their own personal account.),they even claim money is not everything .I laugh so hard at their hypocrisy and self deceptions....so finally and finally speaking it's all about the MONEY...hahaha...it's no longer about the sane society,the security,the system that works,the good infrastructures,no police harassment etc...hmmmm,I was taught there's reward in honestly,why can't these people be sincere enough to admit they took the plunge for economic reasons??.if the forex situations is like $1=N1,would they have made the move??.,

P.S.... I was pulled over earlier today by the cops only to ask for my ID and who owns the car I was driving ,I equally asked if he would like to know who owns the blazer i was on.I guess my offense was that an African man was seen driving a convertible.if that is not intimidation and racially induced discrimination,then the likes of op and co should educate me.

People like you are one of the reasons that Nigeria is the unwholesome mess that it currently is! How can Nigeria change if we keep insisting that Nigeria is heaven on earth?

With reference to the bolded part of your post, you are indeed hypocritical and entitled. You are screaming racial discrimination because a cop only asked you for your ID, then to make matters worse you gave him attitude. Why didn't you just give him the ID? Are you aware that cops also stop white people to ask for their IDs? Weren't you taught basic respect as a child? Or is it because you are in the States that you think you should not respect authority?

For heavens sake if you go to Nigeria and drive in Lagos you will be stopped by police at least once a week. Will you call that discrimination? Even worse when you are stopped by Nigerian police, they will demand for bribe. Has any American cop ever asked for a bribe when he stopped you?

Last time I was in Nigeria, Ojuelegba bus stop to be specific I was stopped by a cop because I was carrying my backpack!! He then demanded to see my phone and the contents of my laptop. I told him he had no right to search my laptop as he had no search warrant. Has any American cop EVER stopped you on the road and demanded to see your laptop??

My advice to you is to be thankful for where you are and stop this inane pissing contest about whether Nigeria is better than America. I love my country but the honest truth is Nigeria is a jungle where nothing works. My prayer is that this would change in our lifetime. However pretending that Nigeria is an awesome country is NOT the way to bring about the change that the country DESPERATELY needs!

27 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 8:30pm On Jun 16, 2018
Bergoglio:

And what if i have some relatives over there, Can i go there through another means?

If you gain admission into PGD or masters u get work perm for 2 yrs. For marriage I don't kno buh every country will allow access to spouse of citizen
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ojolfc(m): 12:40am On Jun 17, 2018
This has simply gone beyond ranting or advice, it is now about the truth. Even the Bible said it "If you don't like where you find yourself, MOVE!! " "any man who can't feed his household is like an infidel" (O.Y.O) which means you should strive/endeavor/seek/venture to make it --at least to feed your family/household.
Look at the Mexicans , from January to December, a Mexican can illegaly entire and get deported 12 times from the US , still him go still do Xmas for US that year, cheesy grin why !Why!
At least we seek legal entery.....
We have to tell ourselves the truth...
If you are of good status to apply for a US visa and you decide to stay back by any which way legal, weigh your options.....but I tell you, US is often better or any other country of your choice ( in the western world). Now, let's say you have saved up 1m+ in Nigeria to invest... how long did it take to save it?
how many more years do you need to save up in order to do the necessary things in our homeland ...
Building a house for example,
buying a car..
If you nor marry na Wahala ..
If you marry ..Baby food!!
wife's start up capital...
Which business apart from food stuffs moves in Nija?
Can we invest in it?
is it doable?
Does any business move at all these days??
What if I get fired?
What if I'm not paid?
What if my boss dies?
Sickness nkooo (God forbid ).
how bad can it possible get in Nigeria before it finally get's better.?
Can it ever get better.....
WHAT IS THE GUARANTEE for THE FUTURE OF OUR OFFSPRING .... embarassed
Can I EVER do the necessary here.. undecided
..and so on.......
After all the above . I think the truth would surface.

10 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 5:06am On Jun 17, 2018
peacengine:

If you gain admission into PGD or masters u get work perm for 2 yrs. For marriage I don't kno buh every country will allow access to spouse of citizen

After that two years of work permit what happens to me then can i still remain there or will i be sent back?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 5:08am On Jun 17, 2018
sevule:

People like you are one of the reasons that Nigeria is the unwholesome mess that it currently is! How can Nigeria change if we keep insisting that Nigeria is heaven on earth?

With reference to the bolded part of your post, you are indeed hypocritical and entitled. You are screaming racial discrimination because a cop only asked you for your ID, then to make matters worse you gave him attitude. Why didn't you just give him the ID? Are you aware that cops also stop white people to ask for their IDs? Weren't you taught basic respect as a child? Or is it because you are in the States that you think you should not respect authority?

For heavens sake if you go to Nigeria and drive in Lagos you will be stopped by police at least once a week. Will you call that discrimination? Even worse when you are stopped by Nigerian police, they will demand for bribe. Has any American cop ever asked for a bribe when he stopped you?

Last time I was in Nigeria, Ojuelegba bus stop to be specific I was stopped by a cop because I was carrying my backpack!! He then demanded to see my phone and the contents of my laptop. I told him he had no right to search my laptop as he had no search warrant. Has any American cop EVER stopped you on the road and demanded to see your laptop??

My advice to you is to be thankful for where you are and stop this inane pissing contest about whether Nigeria is better than America. I love my country but the honest truth is Nigeria is a jungle where nothing works. My prayer is that this would change in our lifetime. However pretending that Nigeria is an awesome country is NOT the way to bring about the change that the country DESPERATELY needs!

Double tragedy!!!!.LMAO!!!...Nigeria loosing and one idiot calling me out for busting their bubble.wtf...like seriously....I think I may have to go personal on this one now.
who is this hell of a guy trying to claim hero of Wakanda by calling me out with insult??.the load big pass you to carry.
Am sure you lack ability to comprehend simple english and I CHALLENGE you to quote or point out where I compared or rated Nigeria better than that of America in all my posts here or is it because I called you and your likes out who live a miserable fake,debt ridden with govt support lifestyles and come here to compare America to heaven where there's no sickness or death?.mine is to balance and counter your exaggerations where possible.it's obvious you were drunk when written this rebuttal.
So police stopping you abroad is "obeying constituted authority" but your likes call it a crime against humanity if same thing happens in nigeria.this is the height of hypocrisy.
Moreso,kindly show me in the statutes book where police can pull you over in traffic even when no traffic violations were committed.or are you too busy with your low paying jobs that you hadly pay attentoon to series of racial profiling happening every day here?,then it shows how dumb and stupid you are.
Yes,I am an African American for a reason,reason definitely different from yours and dont think all Nigerians are as poor as you and your likes who can't afford a dishwasher but instead slaving their destiny away abroad for.
Don't know why people won't mind their own business and respect individual decisions based on their realities.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Pasca07: 8:17am On Jun 17, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Double tragedy!!!!.LMAO!!!...Nigeria loosing and one idiot calling me out for busting their bubble.wtf...like seriously....I think I may have to go personal on this one now.
who is this hell of a guy trying to claim hero of Wakanda by calling me out with insult??.the load big pass you to carry.
Am sure you lack ability to comprehend simple english and I CHALLENGE you to quote or point out where I compared or rated Nigeria better than that of America in all my posts here or is it because I called you and your likes out who live a miserable fake,debt ridden with govt support lifestyles and come here to compare America to heaven where there's no sickness or death?.mine is to balance and counter your exaggerations where possible.it's obvious you were drunk when written this rebuttal.
So police stopping you abroad is "obeying constituted authority" but your likes call it a crime against humanity if same thing happens in nigeria.this is the height of hypocrisy.
Moreso,kindly show me in the statutes book where police can pull you over in traffic even when no traffic violations were committed.or are you too busy with your low paying jobs that you hadly pay attentoon to series of racial profiling happening every day here?,then it shows how dumb and stupid you are.
Yes,I am an African American for a reason,reason definitely different from yours and dont think all Nigerians are as poor as you and your likes who can't afford a dishwasher but instead slaving their destiny away abroad for.
Don't know why people won't mind their own business and respect individual decisions based on their realities.
hmmm let me ask you this question I need simple answer being an africa America can you denounce your US citizenship for Nigeria?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (38) (Reply)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.