Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92630 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Subomi007: 10:16am On Jun 17, 2018
theamerican:

Lol, the moving back concept is really baffling. Someone's talking about moving back with 30-60 million Naira ($100k-200k). That's a lot of money. How many people can save 60m Naira in Nigeria? How many?

People have failed abroad, people have also been fooled into moving back home thinking it'd be easier. In the end, they lost their way and their only saving grace was that they could realize their mistake and flee Nigeria again lol.

A functioning system is a functioning system! It's complete ignorance to compare Nigeria to a such countries. There are still places in Lagos where you can't drive to. You have to park your car somewhere and walk or else... you'll spend your next salary fixing your car.

I'm not against anyone wanting to move back. As long as they do it for their own reasons without saying untrue things, we're cool. Not even 2m Naira a month can make me move back to Nigeria. I can't deal with stupidity anymore[color=#990000][/color].

ahahah...i do pray to also get out of stupidity....

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 10:27am On Jun 17, 2018
Bergoglio:

After that two years of work permit what happens to me then can i still remain there or will i be sent back?

If you can secure a good job after that the co will file for you. U will need total of 7 straight yrs living there to get permanent residence
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 12:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
theamerican:

Lol, the moving back concept is really baffling. Someone's talking about moving back with 30-60 million Naira ($100k-200k). That's a lot of money. How many people can save 60m Naira in Nigeria? How many?

People have failed abroad, people have also been fooled into moving back home thinking it'd be easier. In the end, they lost their way and their only saving grace was that they could realize their mistake and flee Nigeria again lol.

A functioning system is a functioning system! It's complete ignorance to compare Nigeria to a such countries. There are still places in Lagos where you can't drive to. You have to park your car somewhere and walk or else... you'll spend your next salary fixing your car.

I'm not against anyone wanting to move back. As long as they do it for their own reasons without saying untrue things, we're cool. Not even 2m Naira a month can make me move back to Nigeria. I can't deal with stupidity anymore.
My cousin from my mother's side moved back to Nigeria from the West, since his arrival, he has not been able to find his feet, he came back with several professional certifications and cash to setup a business, everything went down the drain, as I post this article, he is leaving finally back to the West and he has vowed never ever to step his foot in Nigeria, l don't blame him, Nigeria is beyond redemption, those who have ears should hear, if you are not as rich as Dangote, Otedola and all the useless criminal politicians that have stolen generational wealth in Nigeria, don't dream of coming back to this dead country called Nigeria, , those who want to be patriotic can continue but for me, Nigeria is a useless shithole jungle fit only for pigs to live, nonsense grin

21 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Tunmise100(m): 1:24pm On Jun 17, 2018
AngelicBeing:
My cousin from my mother's side moved back to Nigeria from the West, since his arrival, he has not been able to find his feet, he came back with several professional certifications and cash to setup a business, everything went down the drain, as I post this article, he is leaving finally back to the West and he has vowed never ever to step his foot in Nigeria, l don't blame him, Nigeria is beyond redemption, those who have ears should hear, if you are not as rich as Dangote, Otedola and all the useless criminal politicians that have stolen generational wealth in Nigeria, don't dream of coming back to this dead country called Nigeria, , those who want to be patriotic can continue but for me, Nigeria is a useless shithole jungle fit only for pigs to live, nonsense grin

"HE THAT HATH AN EAR LET HIM HEAR WHAT WE HAVE BEEN SAYING". SHITHOLE COUNTRY INDEED, TRUMP WAS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 17, 2018
Too many likely losers on this thread. Smh. Even if someone stays in the village, he should be able to make it. That's what education gives you.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ojolfc(m): 3:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
Hmmmm
One of my friend got injured yesterday while watching Nigeria match.
Lamentably, everything in Nigeria is porous. Imagine common world cup is very hard for an average Nigerian to sit at the comfort of his house and watch freely without huge subscription.Whereas a small country like Ghana,the reverse is the case,where they have a plethora of television channels showing them for free.Yet we are fighting corruption but provision of basic amenities for the poor masses to enjoy the dividends of the so-called democracy remains an uphill task. It is really pathetic.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 7:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
peacengine:

Your cousin is a fooool.
No, he is actually a wise man because he has all it takes to go back to the West, he has his personal building in Nigeria, he has his foreign passport, he has certifications in various disciplines and he will be absorbed back in the West, you are the greatest fool because you are defending a useless country that is dead and beyond redemption, , you are stock in hell in Nigeria and have no hope of a better tomorrow,
My cousin can fly out to more than 100 countries without visa, now buzz off my mentions, I will not dignify you with another response, nonsense shocked

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 7:37pm On Jun 17, 2018
Tunmise100:

"HE THAT HATH AN EAR LET HIM HEAR WHAT WE HAVE BEEN SAYING". SHITHOLE COUNTRY INDEED, TRUMP WAS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.
Nigeria is a useless country, a country where members of the National Assembly collected billions of naira in bribes before they passed the budget according the former minister of finance Ngozi iweala, Nigeria is beyond redemption and should be auctioned off on eBay to richer western nations to buy, useless country that has crippled the destiny of its citizens grin

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Grupo(m): 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2018
peacengine:

Your cousin is a fooool.

How is his cousin a fool? Please, explain!

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2018
Grupo:

Someone who cannot make it with capital from the west is a lazy person except if he is on a small savings (below $10,000) in Nigeria. Imagine with all his certification according to the poster, he is still a failure here.

He should go back to his familiar background and enjoy his old ways.

His type is the employee kind of person who enjoys working for people. He needs lecture from my hardworking Nigerian guys hitting it irrespective of their environment here in Nigeria.

NOTE that relocating should be more about comfort than making money. Someone with capital should make more money here, period.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 9:10pm On Jun 17, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Someone who cannot make it with capital from the west is a lazy person except if he is on a small savings (below $10,000) in Nigeria. Imagine with all his certification according to the poster, he is still a failure here.

His type is the employee kind of person who enjoys working for people. He needs lecture from my hardworking Nigerian guys hitting it irrespective of their environment here in Nigeria.

NOTE that relocating should be more about comfort than making money. Someone with capital should make more money here, period.
Shut up if you don't know what you are talking about, you don't know him neither do you know how much he brought into Nigeria, he is my cousin and I know how much he wasted in Nigeria, he is not really a failure because he came with a detailed plans to settle down, but the business environment in Nigeria was too toxic for him to operate from, a country where you give bribes to virtually everyone from the gateman to the highest civil servant before basic things can be approved, even without a job, his real Estate investment can feed you for the rest of your life, I will not talk more than this, he is not a failure but he came with a good intentions to live in a failed state, keep consoling yourself with patriotism and enjoy all the shithole it offers, shocked

15 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
AngelicBeing:

I understand. There are stories too about people who saved up to go live the life of comfort back in Nigeria but got a very hard reality check. The saving grace is some of them didn't burn bridges and were able to run back when things didn't work out. Your cousin is lucky to be able to run again.

As for me, the stupidity in Nigeria is the reason I'm never going to live there again. I can visit and spend time there because of family (Max I'll ever stay there is 10 days) but I'll never ever consider relocating no matter what. Look at the absolute nonsense people say on here all in the name of patriotism. Lmao!

12 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by drakeli: 9:44pm On Jun 17, 2018
AngelicBeing:
I know two people here in the US that moved back to Nigeria. By the time they finished all they acquired and the harsh economic reality of Nigeria thought them sense, they are back in the US now. Even one of them prefer driving Uber to start over again to staying in Nigeria. As for me o, I didn’t forget anything in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 9:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
theamerican:

I understand. There are stories too about people who saved up to go live the life of comfort back in Nigeria but got a very hard reality check. The saving grace is some of them didn't burn bridges and were able to run back when things didn't work out. Your cousin is lucky to be able to run again.

As for me, the stupidity in Nigeria is the reason I'm never going to live there again. I can visit and spend time there because of family (Max I'll ever stay there is 10 days) but I'll never ever consider relocating no matter what. Look at the absolute nonsense people say on here all in the name of patriotism. Lmao!
l agree with your position, once you live in paradise and you move to live in hell, you are either burnt or consumed permanently by the inferno, a fish cannot function properly on land, once you put a live fish on land it will die within hours, l agree with everything you posted on this thread, I, sometimes want to respond to few people on here but I feel that I am waiting my time because the sufferings in Nigeria has conditioned many posters to call white black and vice versa, at this stage, l will permanently ignore several posters on here because it is like pouring water on Zuma rock, my position about Nigeria remains the same and I will say it to the dead skeleton president of the jungle called Buhari, Nigeria is dead, rotten, useless, corrupt, and should be auctioned off completely or Western nations should come back and recolonize the jungle because it is 500 behind the rest of the world shocked

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2018
drakeli:
I know two people here in the US that moved back to Nigeria. By the time they finished all they acquired and the harsh economic reality of Nigeria thought them sense, they are back in the US now. Even one of them prefer driving Uber to start over again to staying in Nigeria. As for me o, I didn’t forget anything in Nigeria.
That is the truth, some dimwit will come and say the two people you are talking about are also failures Hahaha, I laugh in Dutch and Spanish, it is better to be a 7th class citizen in the West where you have the opportunity to become what you want via been smart and hardworking than to be a Nigerian where your dreams are truncated and you are told to keep praying to God, prayers does not make any changes to developing a country, Nigeria has been praying since 1960 and the country is becoming worse than hell daily, China, Singapore, Dubai, Kuwait, and several Western countries do not subscribe to too much prayers and their countries are working, Abeg leave matter, Nigeria is dead, Eod shocked

6 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 11:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
I'm not even bothered about the patriotic defenders. If they like it where they are, I wish them well. I post for the casual or unsure readers. Those who don't know what's on the other side. Those who only know what they see everyday in Nigeria and have no idea what an organized society looks like.

A place where masquerades still flog people with canes for not giving them money lmao! In 2018!!!

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 11:52pm On Jun 17, 2018
Another good read...

ZUBY77:
Departure Port, MM International Lagos.

Straight to immigration checkpoint, i was directed to one old man in particular whom they said handles the FIFA FAN ID Travellers. The moment i was directed to him, i knew something was fishy.

He brought out one list of names and threw it in front of me.
"Is your name on this list?" he fired.
I smiled. "What list is that Sir?"

"Are you asking me a question on top of the one i asked you? His face changed. Silly uneducated rogues and Small time criminals. Taking criminal advantage of whatever position they found themselves.

" If your name is not here, you are not going to Russia. All the money you spent will be a waste".

A look at the top of the list and I saw Super Eagles Supporters Club.

"But sir, this is the list of government sponsored supporters club. I am not one of them, i am sponsoring myself to Russia to support my country. So if you stop me from crossing here, the appropriate authorties will know about this". I said.

"Are you threatening me?" he asked.
I looked up at him, "It is a shame if you see it that way, but i dont care. I am still in Nigeria, so i am not stranded yet".

"Just find us something and go your way". He said.
Other people were behind me and they knew i was not going to let anyone jump ahead. Some of them were going ro Russia too. I would have normally given these rogues some money and continue but i wanted to give voice to the younger people behind me. I was sure some of them struggled to buy flight ticket ro Russia. Atleast they needed to know the forged list was thrash.

Well, i opened my small hand bag and brought out 5000 naira, handed it to the old man and said, "I am just giving you this as help. Stop this stealing you people do here at the airport".

I was eventually stamped off to go to Russia. But before then, there was the custom too, the NDLEA and one other group who all saw when i paid immigration. They all believed it was their right to be paid too. And this happens everyday in a country we believe would become good in the near future. It was just a shame.

I'm sure it would have cost them nothing to make him miss his flight if he refused to bribe. Smh!
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 12:04am On Jun 18, 2018
Grupo:

Cousin with advanced Western certificates and money came to establish business without success, moved back and swore not to return haha that dude is a numbskull. He set up the business without planning and focus. He should blame his thick skull for failure. When uneducated Asians and Arabs are successful in operating multimillion businesses he failed. He can't even defend his certificates. Look, the day I feared Indians was when a friend in India paid me to conduct market research for him before he will establish his business here. Took my girl to a water front restaurant today owned by a Jamaican. Ordinary coconut water, natural coconut is N1000. Foreigners trooping there as if he's manufacturing special drink. I was looking for the guy to pick his brains small I was not lucky to see him.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 12:15am On Jun 18, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

NOTE that relocating should be more about comfort than making money. Someone with capital should make more money here, period
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by sevule(m): 12:33am On Jun 18, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Double tragedy!!!!.LMAO!!!...Nigeria loosing and one idiot calling me out for busting their bubble.wtf...like seriously....I think I may have to go personal on this one now.
who is this hell of a guy trying to claim hero of Wakanda by calling me out with insult??.the load big pass you to carry.
Am sure you lack ability to comprehend simple english and I CHALLENGE you to quote or point out where I compared or rated Nigeria better than that of America in all my posts here or is it because I called you and your likes out who live a miserable fake,debt ridden with govt support lifestyles and come here to compare America to heaven where there's no sickness or death?.mine is to balance and counter your exaggerations where possible.it's obvious you were drunk when written this rebuttal.
So police stopping you abroad is "obeying constituted authority" but your likes call it a crime against humanity if same thing happens in nigeria.this is the height of hypocrisy.
Moreso,kindly show me in the statutes book where police can pull you over in traffic even when no traffic violations were committed.or are you too busy with your low paying jobs that you hadly pay attentoon to series of racial profiling happening every day here?,then it shows how dumb and stupid you are.
Yes,I am an African American for a reason,reason definitely different from yours and dont think all Nigerians are as poor as you and your likes who can't afford a dishwasher but instead slaving their destiny away abroad for.
Don't know why people won't mind their own business and respect individual decisions based on their realities.

You spew insults and hatred because I rightly called you out. You resort to insults because you have nothing concrete to say. I will not follow you down that road but I will stick to the facts. It is strange that you see yourself as an African American but yet you champion Nigeria's cause. Which one are you, Nigerian or African American? I am proudly Nigerian and will never identify as African American because that is not who I am. You have already lost your Nigerian identity by identifying as African American so your arguments are moot.

Moreso,kindly show me in the statutes book where police can pull you over in traffic even when no traffic violations were committed
You will do yourself a favor to consult an actual lawyer and not get your facts about law from TV shows. A cop is allowed to pull you over for 'reasonable suspicion' even when no traffic violations were committed. A cop however has no right to search your car without a warrant but he can pull you over.

So police stopping you abroad is "obeying constituted authority" but your likes call it a crime against humanity if same thing happens in nigeria.
When I am in Nigeria, I have absolutely no problems stopping for a policeman. I do have problems with a policeman asking me for a bribe and I stated as much if you bothered to read my post before rushing to insult me. Also I have a problem with a policeman searching my phone and laptop without a court order because it is illegal.

If you answer this post please be an adult and respond without insults.

17 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 3:27am On Jun 18, 2018
sevule:

You spew insults and hatred because I rightly called you out. You resort to insults because you have nothing concrete to say. I will not follow you down that road but I will stick to the facts. It is strange that you see yourself as an African American but yet you champion Nigeria's cause. Which one are you, Nigerian or African American? I am proudly Nigerian and will never identify as African American because that is not who I am. You have already lost your Nigerian identity by identifying as African American so your arguments are moot.

You will do yourself a favor to consult an actual lawyer and not get your facts about law from TV shows. A cop is allowed to pull you over for 'reasonable suspicion' even when no traffic violations were committed. A cop however has no right to search your car without a warrant but he can pull you over.

When I am in Nigeria, I have absolutely no problems stopping for a policeman. I do have problems with a policeman asking me for a bribe and I stated as much if you bothered to read my post before rushing to insult me. Also I have a problem with a policeman searching my phone and laptop without a court order because it is illegal.

If you answer this post please be an adult and respond without insults.

This is a very intelligent comment. Every part of it. The U.S is a country of laws, the cops like you said can pull you over for probable cause. A cop has no obligation to tell anyone why they're being pulled over and the law states that when you're pulled over, you must present license, insurance and registration upon request. It is standard.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Tunmise100(m): 7:35am On Jun 18, 2018
theamerican:
Another good read...

I'm sure it would have cost them nothing to make him miss his flight if he refused to bribe. Smh!

They don't damn care. If he refuses to pay, he should not be suprised if they raise a false accusation against him.

Someone i know experienced the same thing and before he could say "JACK.ROBISON" they have started raising false accusations. Why will you be travelling with two passport, ehn ehn so u are part of those people who are doing yahoo abi, fraud. Mind you, his former passport will expire in less than 6 months, that was why he got a new one. Until he said baba take he was there stranded.

I SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN: NIGERIA IS A SHITHOLE

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by reDazey(f): 9:01am On Jun 18, 2018
Nigerian- Americans are considered one of the most successful immigrants in the US. I bet they would never had attained such heights if they were in Nigeria. Check out the link below.

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the-most-successful-ethnic-group-in-the-us-may-surprise-you/86885?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_name=Organic

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 9:37am On Jun 18, 2018
Hello guys please if we are to compare America and Germany/ireland which one do you think is the best place for Nigeria immigrants
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 9:59am On Jun 18, 2018
Bergoglio:
Hello guys please if we are to compare America and Germany/ireland which one do you think is the best place for Nigeria immigrants
If I am in your shoes, I will take the US as number one, US number 2, Ireland number 3, Germany is good but language might likely be a barrier to you if you are not fluent in German language, that does not mean you can't survive but it is better to be where English is the medium of communication, America and Ireland are fantastic places expecially if you go via the school route, after that, you can adjust your status legally and live your life to the fullest, good luck as you take a giant step to flee from hell fire to the paradise ahead of yougrin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Bergoglio(m): 10:09am On Jun 18, 2018
AngelicBeing:
If I am in your shoes, I will take the US as number one, US number 2, Ireland number 3, Germany is good but language might likely be a barrier to you if you are not fluent in German language, that does not mean you can't survive but it is better to be where English is the medium of communication, America and Ireland are fantastic places expecially if you go via the school route, after that, you can adjust your status legally and live your life to the fullest, good luck as you take a giant step to flee from hell fire to the paradise ahead of yougrin
Thank you very much, i think i will go with Ireland cause i have some relatives there but talking about the school am already in school here in Nigeria am in 100level in UNN, should i finish the remaining three years here and then travel to Dublin for masters or should i abandone this one year in UNN
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Tunmise100(m): 12:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
Bergoglio:

Thank you very much, i think i will go with Ireland cause i have some relatives there but talking about the school am already in school here in Nigeria am in 100level in UNN, should i finish the remaining three years here and then travel to Dublin for masters or should i abandone this one year in UNN

I don't think it is a decision any one can help you make. It's left to you to think deep and weigh your decisions in the light of the present facts and realities. GOODLUCK

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Activedreamer: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Hahahaha. You dey vex o!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (38) (Reply)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.