Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site (15491 Views)

Governor Wike Constructs Iron To Block Boundary Between Rivers & Abia / Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday / Buhari, Tinubu, Others Arrived Osun State To Flag Off Presidential Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by OEPHIUS(m): 1:29pm On Apr 20, 2018
..Sets to recruit 1000 youths

The Enugu State government yesterday took a major step towards protecting and exploiting the Iron smelting site discovered at Otobo Ugwudinoke, Lejja, Nsukka Local Government Area of the state.

Briefing newsmen after a presentation made to the State Executive Council by an Associate Professor in Department of Archaeology, University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), Dr. Pamela Eze-Uzomaka, the Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Hon. Rita Mbah disclosed that the Lejja Iron smelting site is “one of the oldest in the world, which dates back to about 2000 BC”.

Hon. Mbah stated the Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi administration is passionate, committed and delighted at the revelation made by Dr. Eze-Uzomaka, who she said has been carrying out research on the site.

The Culture and Tourism Commissioner announced that the council has in a quick response to the presentation, set up a 3-man committee that would visit the site and devise the best means of protecting it “as a world heritage centre”.

She added that the state government intends to construct the road leading the site to be able to exploit its natural contents as “a tourism site and money spinning venture”, stressing that a lot of other benefits are accruable from it.

Also speaking, the Associate Professor told newsmen that she was at the EXCO meeting with her team to brief the state government on the outcome of their findings, saying that they “were able to get over 40 nationals from about 18 countries of the world to come and help us excavate Lejja site”.

Dr. Eze-Uzomaka disclosed that one of their findings was “radio carbon dates”, which according to her places the Lejja as one of the oldest Iron smelting sites in the world.

“This discovery means that Enugu State has one of the oldest iron smelting sites in the world and this site is being visited by so many countries of the world. I have travelled to some parts of the world, giving lectures about these sites and yet our people do not know about what they have.

“So we have come here to tell the Government of Enugu State that we have something here in Enugu State worth protecting, because people are coming from all over the world to visit this site.

While appreciating the commitment of Gov. Ugwuanyi’s administration towards the project, she also called for the collaboration of the state government with the National Commission for Museum and Monument and the Tourism board for the protection of the area as a world recognized tourism site.

Similarly, the Commissioner for Environment, Amb. Fidel Ayogu, also told newsmen that the council approved the rehabilitation of the popular Murtala Muhammed Park - a triangular piece of land at New Market, Enugu - to beautify, preserve and make it a standard recreational venture that will be a centre of attraction for those entering into the city of Enugu through Milliken Hill or New Market road.

The Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ogbuagu Anikwe, stated that the council was updated by the Coordinator of Enugu Clean Team Project in respect of the ongoing engagement exercise of 1000 youths to clean up the state, disclosing that before long “Enugu will become if not the cleanest state in Nigeria”.

Mr. Anikwe added that the council approved funds for the upgrade of the Enugu State Emergency Call Centre for greater service to the people especially in time of emergency.

He equally told newsmen that the council approved funds for the renovation of the dilapidated building where the Enugu State Archives was relocated for effective service delivery.

http://thepunditng.com/enugu-state-protect-exploit-2000-year-old-iron-smelting-site/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Damian077: 1:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
I am very glad to read this news
Front page admin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by DrHighchief(m): 9:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by busky101(m): 9:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
Who e epp

1 Like

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by NaijaFutbol: 9:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
Obodo oma

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by holuwajaytee(m): 9:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
Second to comment
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Mabpaine(m): 9:28pm On Apr 20, 2018
Yea! High time all our southern states leaders start being creative. From South west to South South to South East. Northerners have the laziest set of leaders. All they want is to chop like Baboon, while others work. I pray this day, that all leaders (past n present) that did not n are not doing their jobs which they are being elected for buh enjoyed the benefits thereof will die a terrible n shameful death along wiv their families. High time we start cursing cos thats the power we have. By the time Millions of curses are rained on them on social media everyday and they keep seeing them, one of those curses will work someday like it did on Abacha

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by NwaNimo1(m): 9:29pm On Apr 20, 2018
Nsukka.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by gsainttrinity(m): 9:29pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ok
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by dreamwords: 9:30pm On Apr 20, 2018
Good

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by naijjaman(m): 9:30pm On Apr 20, 2018
ok
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 20, 2018
Igbos and indeed some Africans at large had been civilized since years unknown.

Igbo Amaka

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Buhari2019: 9:33pm On Apr 20, 2018
To? Future tense.
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by scholes0(m): 9:35pm On Apr 20, 2018
These people have sites that predates the earliest existence of jews as a people , but serious complex issues have destroyed all their sense of self worth.

They now want to be jews by force.

16 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by agadez007(m): 9:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
scholes0:
These people have sites that predates the earliest existence of jews as a people , but serious complex issues have destroyed all their sense of self worth.

only a group of people,not all Igbos please
Especially me,I hate that Jew history like madt,an uncle almost dis-uncled me because of that

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by crackerspub: 9:45pm On Apr 20, 2018
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by engrchykae(m): 9:49pm On Apr 20, 2018
givan:
Igbos and indeed some Africans at large had been civilized since years unknown.

Igbo Amaka
did you ever doubt that igbos have reached sophisticated civilization eons ago?
Its only a civilized people that will have a highly democratic structure where the powers of state are shared between the chief priest(religious),the igwe(executive) and the legislative(nzes and ozos)igwe's cabinet.
No standing army to avoid abuse of power by the ochiogha but in times of war,able bodied citizens volunteer to defend their collective interest because every igbo is a property owner at least in form of lands.
Our democracy surpassed that of the Greeks and what America claims to have.
Did i mention that every family have land which is the instrument of production and hence economic power is shared among indigenes.
NO WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD CAN YOU FIND A PEOPLE AS THE IGBOS.
ITS EITHER THE EMIR OWNS THE LANDS AND RENTS IT TO HIS NOBLES OR THE OBA OWNS THE MAJOR LANDS OR THE RULERS OF EUROPE ESPECIALLY BRITAIN OWNS THE LAND AND RENT IT OUT TO FAVORED KNIGHTS AND NOBLES AS WHO MAKE RETURNS TO THE RULER AND GIVE THE EXPLOITED LOCALS WHO FARM HIS LANDS JUST WHAT WILL BARELY SUSTAIN THEM TO BE ALIVE AND WORK HIS FARM.
THAT'S WHY THE WEST BELIEVED THAT WE ARE A THREAT TO HER MAJESTY'S PROJECT NIGERIA

53 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by KingRabota: 9:49pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ain't that something! I used to think that the Nok culture were earliest smelters of iron ,and now look at this.
I wish more interest is focused on our archaeological heritage, because I'm still wondering why no dinosaur fossils or bones have been found in Nigeria .
I'm very happy with this recent trend.
proudly a Super Lion !

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by crestedaguiyi: 9:50pm On Apr 20, 2018
how where they smelting the iron pls
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by KingRabota: 9:58pm On Apr 20, 2018
crestedaguiyi:
The rocks in the area most probably contain very high iron ore content this would be crushed n heated in a crucible. The pure iron would have been invaluable. Spear Tips, hoes, cutlasses, ornaments ,etc.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
scholes0:

These people have sites that predate...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:10pm On Apr 20, 2018
Nigeria destroyed our individual identity.

Just imagine, even before Lugard's race was ever thought of

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by victorioushands: 10:16pm On Apr 20, 2018
scholes0:

You are obviously bereft of common sense.

SHM. What a shame!

Who told you 2000 years was older than the Jews as a people?

Your hatred for the Igbo is hereditary, baseless and useless. It's obviously eating you up.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by wtfcoded: 10:22pm On Apr 20, 2018
Igbo nation was once a country of its own.
Not zoogeria!! angry
Ghana,Cameroon, n other neighbouring country were so lucky they didn't fall under lugardian rule.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2018
scholes0:

https://books.google.com.ng/books/about/Jewish_Identity_Among_the_Igbo_of_Nigeri.html?id=D7O6oAEACAAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Apart from so many books n articles written by various renouned Anthropologists around the world about the igbos being Hebrews, I have a proof that supersedes them all.

My great grandfather n my grandfather told us that we are Hebrews. I don't doubt them because they never used televisions, radio or internet in their entire lives.......And yet without any connection to the outside world, They told us that we are Bible Hebrews.

The knowledge they passed to us is more valid than any other information online or offline.

We are a Hebrew bloodline, We don't care if u believe it or not. It's who we are.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Ofodirinwa: 10:35pm On Apr 20, 2018
victorioushands:

SHM. What a shame!

Your hatred for the Igbo is hereditary, baseless and useless. It's obviously eating you up.
the site is 4000 not 2000 years old
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Ojiofor: 10:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:

https://books.google.com.ng/books/about/Jewish_Identity_Among_the_Igbo_of_Nigeri.html?id=D7O6oAEACAAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Apart from so many books n articles written by various renouned Anthropologists around the world about the igbos being Hebrews, I have a proof that supersedes them all.

My great grandfather n my grandfather told us that we are Hebrews. I don't doubt them because they never used televisions, radio or internet in their entire lives.......And yet without any connection to the outside world, They told us that we are Bible Hebrews.

valid than any other iThe knowledge they passed to us is more nformation online or offline.

We are a Hebrew bloodline, We don't care if u believe it or not. It's who we are.

I hope your family participated in last year DNA text carried out on fake jews like you by a Jewish org?

1 Like

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by YourNemesis: 10:53pm On Apr 20, 2018
victorioushands:

SHM. What a shame!

You are obviously the foolish one here.

2,000 years BCE is not 2000 years but 4,018 years ago.

This one that doesn't even have common sense, wants to bout with someone.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ojiofor:

I hope your family participated in last year DNA text carried out on fake jews like you by a Jewish org?

A reply I gave gave person that replied a shiit similar to dis ur shiit grin.

Oya take am.

Apart from so many books n articles written by various renounced Anthropologists around the world about the igbos being Hebrews, I have a proof that supersedes them all.

My great grandfather n my grandfather told us that we are Hebrews. I don't doubt them because they never used televisions, radio or internet in their entire lives.......And yet without any connection to the outside world, They lived n died in a village n yet they told us that we are Hebrews.

The knowledge they passed to us is more valid than any other information online or offline.

I don't give a fukkin cunt about the opinion of white useless caucasian European tribe called the Khozars about my hebrew bloodline. Yes, the core Jews in Israel today are white skinned people, They are simply people who practice Judaism as a religion, thus called Jews (Not Hebrews or Israelites). If u want to know who they are, get a copy of this book - "The international jews" by Henry Ford n clear ur doubts n confusion.

The bible Hebrews weren't whites, whites aren't found in the middle east. Its a fact that bible Hebrews were blacks.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by ndubueze92(m): 11:07pm On Apr 20, 2018
crestedaguiyi:
The built furnaces most notably, a shaft furnace with woods or charcoal layered with the hematite and lit to a temp of 1500 degrees to extract the bloom. Those black heaps on the pics are called Slag. Impurities from the iron smelted.
Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by musicwriter(m): 11:08pm On Apr 20, 2018
Life as we know it began in Africa, and if you dig up the entire African continent, you'll see civilizations older than 1 million years.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu State To Protect And Exploit 2000-year-old Iron Smelting Site by Ojiofor: 11:14pm On Apr 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:

A reply I gave gave person that replied a shiit similar to dis ur shiit grin.

Oya take am.

Apart from so many books n articles written by various renounced Anthropologists around the world about the igbos being Hebrews, I have a proof that supersedes them all.

My great grandfather n my grandfather told us that we are Hebrews. I don't doubt them because they never used televisions, radio or internet in their entire lives.......And yet without any connection to the outside world, They lived n died in a village n yet they told us that we are Hebrews.

I don't give a fukkin cunt about the opinion of white useless caucasian European tribe called the Khozars about my hebrew bloodline. Yes, the core Jews in Israel today are white skinned people, They are simply people who practice Judaism as a religion, thus called Jews (Not Hebrews or Israelites). If u want to know who they are, get a copy of this book - "The international jews" by Henry Ford n clear ur doubts n confusion.

The bible Hebrews weren't whites, whites aren't found in the middle east. Its a fact that bible Hebrews were blacks.

It's a simple question and you are here quoting google.Jew man grin.
If you haven't done DNA text to confirm your Jewishness I will pay for you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ngige: NSITF Mismanaged ₦48 Billion, Awarded ₦4.448 Billion Contract In One Day / Demolished Buildings Not Approved By Government – Lagos / Nine Months After Subsidy Removal, Where Are The Palliatives As Promised?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.