Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem (888 Views)

Pastor Enoch Adeboye Is 81-Years-Old Today / Pastor Enoch Adeboye Is A Fraud - RCCG Member Declares / Bisi Alimi: "Pastor Adeboye Is Irresponsible And Vile" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by Demzlent(m): 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2018
Tithes:Pastor Adeboye is wrong but that is not the problem
Download
Download directly
pulse.ng Apr 19, 2018 8:58 AM
According to the UN in February 2018, Nigeria attained the undesired but inevitable position of the Poverty Capital of the world with 64% of the total population in poverty, a figure that translates to roughly 80 million people.

Pastor E A Adeboye (youtube.com)
Recently Pastor Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God in a viral video said ‘Anyone who is not paying his/her tithe is not going to heaven’. If that statement seems wrong to you at first glance, it’s because it is.
THE ENDLESS TITHE DEBATE
The debate on tithing has been going on for a while now ever since Daddy Freeze’s infamous attack on the doctrine last year during which he faced criticism from many Christians and personal attacks from church leaders. It’s quieted down for a while until this latest decree by Heaven’s gatekeeper. One can’t tell if it’s out of his desire to have the last word on the subject or it’s an effort to clip dwindling tithe revenue in his church.

During the heat of the debate in the past 6 months, many people have touched on the biblical standing of tithing, some have been right, some have been wrong. This latest outburst presents an opportunity to establish an objective and biblical position on tithing.

When it comes with dealing with criticism of established traditions and systems, it’s always best to first examine its original purpose and the doctrine of tithing isn’t exempted.

Like almost every controversial topic in Christianity, the origins of tithing can be traced to the Old Testament where God, through his servant Moses, declared unto the Children of Israel to pay tithes. These tithes were to be paid to the Levites, a group of people who in a prior decree had been banned from working and set aside to be servants and priests of God, (Numbers 18:21-26, Deut. 14:27-29). Tithes were also to be shared to the poor in the land of Israel. Simply put, tithing is a communist idea to feed and clothe those who were not allowed to work and those who did not have enough. A noble idea, I’d say.

Pastor Adeboye again replies freeze on tithes - "God was the one that convinced me to pay tithes"
Pastor Adeboye again replies freeze on tithes - "God was the one that convinced me to pay tithes" (YouTube)
So why the controversy? Well, Jesus came. Under the Old Testament, tithing, like taxes in modern society, was a law, but the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ abolished that law and a bunch of others. According to Romans 6:14-15, we are no longer under the law.

This new dispensation in our relationship with God made us all Levites (1 Pet. 2:9, Rev. 1:6, 20:6) as signified by the renting of the veil in the temple, giving us all access to God, a perk that used to be exclusive to people from the tribe of Levi. Simply put, the law that bounded Israelites to give to a select group of people does not concern us, as with other laws such as the keeping of a beard, stoning an adulterer to death or circumcision.

For those who insist Jesus’ sayings and parables on tithing were affirmation of the doctrine, they will do well to remember until the death and resurrection of Christ, He was a man living under the laws and custom of the Jewish nation. The dispensation of grace under which we fall under did not commence until his ascension into heaven.

The controversy on tithing is however symptomatic of deeper problems with Nigerian Christianity and we would be wise to direct our energy towards fixing them.

THE SUBVERSION OF CHRIST’S TEACHINGS
When the topic of tithing is raised, those who support or oppose the doctrine often find themselves having to criticize and defend Nigerian Christian leaders. So what if we agreed and kept tithing? Would it be such a terrible thing to do? After all we have full time Pastors who have chosen to dedicate their lives to tending the Lord’s flock. They still need to eat and feed. Their children need to go to school. We still have the poor in our midst who could use some of the funds gathered to enrich their lives and lift them from poverty. Would it be such a terrible idea if we all dropped 10% of our income to this noble cause? The answer, is no. The problem, however, is that’s not what tithes are being used for, at least not in its entirety.

During Christ’s time on earth, a lot of his time were spent simply doing two things; preaching the gospel and fixing the people’s problems. From using his powers to provide food to the hungry, to becoming a one-man health care system to activism; fighting for the weak and downtrodden, Jesus dedicated his life to affecting people’s lives positively, spiritually and materially. When He was about to depart, He commanded his disciples and followers to go on and do the same. The disciples’ practice of Christ’s teachings earned them the title of Christians in Antioch, the biblical origin of the Christian religion.

Today's church in Nigeria – Rich Pastors, poor members
Today's church in Nigeria – Rich Pastors, poor members (VozAfric)
Pentecostalism in Nigeria, the leading Christian denomination in the country, has over 50 million members out of a combined Christian population of 86.5 million people according to the 2017 yearbook of International Religions. According to the UN, 80 million Nigerians are living in moderate to extreme poverty, meaning if you were to draw the venn diagram of poor people in Nigeria and Christians in Nigeria, there will be a sizable intersection of both groups.

Why the large intersection? That might be because our Christian leaders today have completely neglected the practice of Christ’s teachings. From Pastor Adeboye, Heaven’s self-appointed admission officer, to Oyedepo to Oyakhilome or Ashimolowo, the doctrine of Christ has been subverted into a get rich scheme. Between these listed charlatans and a few other popular members of their elite group of ‘Christian leaders’, they are worth over $300 million. The bulk of their members however are poor, shrinking middle class people.

Pentecostalism, established biblically by the apostles, catered to the spiritual and material needs of the believers; the church was a safe haven from the oppression of the law. This was a benefit Apostle Peter himself enjoyed but the same cannot be said for modern Pentecostalism and its leaders.

Spiritually, the message is no longer encouraging and instilling Christ’s morality into members. It’s about the message of wishing death on imaginary enemies and the doctrine of prosperity. Materially, through the con that is the prosperity gospel, more is collected from ignorant members who like new converts in the days of the Apostles, fully trust these Pastors with their lives.

If one were being nitpicky, one might ask why a man of God needs a private jet or a bulletproof car or to own the largest church building that could cost up to billions of naira to build when the focus can be better channeled towards using their platform and influence to better the lives of the multitudes that they claim to shepherd.

One of Nigeria’s leading cause of stagnation and poverty is our low Human Development Index (HDI), a composite statistic of a country’s life expectancy, education and per capita income. The sheer size of the church and the influence of our religious leaders suggests the church can make a strong positive impact on any and all of these factors.

On life expectancy, the revenue (an unofficial report once claimed it’s as high as N1 billion/week) of Nigerian Pentecostal churches is enough to provide quality health clinics in every community that their branches are in. When it comes to education, what we find is a system where our failed government is more open to providing education to the poor compared to church-owned schools where majority of members cannot afford to send their wards to these schools even though their offerings and tithes were significant capital in building them.

These popular members of their elite group of ‘Christian leaders’, they are worth over $300 million.
These popular members of their elite group of ‘Christian leaders’, they are worth over $300 million. (naijachurchnews)
In a country where the banking sector operates solely on the provision of collateral to give out significant loans to entrepreneurs, Nigerian churches are in a unique position due to their extensive amount of assets and revenue flow to take loans and establish factories and businesses that create value while decreasing unemployment, increasing our per capita income in the process.

But they are doing none of this, certainly not in a manner that justifies the large amount of revenue they clamor for every Sunday. What we find is a culture of offensive lifestyle in the face of overbearing poverty. Empty declarations of ‘God will bless you’ when they have the resources to meet their impoverished members at the point of their need.

This would probably be a fair pill to swallow for those who haven’t drank their Kool-Aid and have retained a degree of independent thinking if these so called Christian leaders didn’t cozy up with politicians whose continued actions and inactions created the staggering level of poverty in the country in the first place.

There is a Yoruba adage that says ‘orisa bi o le gba mi, se mi bo shey ba mi’, meaning if you can’t save me, leave me as I am. If Nigerian church leaders fail at upholding the doctrine they claim to believe in, the least they could do is not be in bed with the corrupt politicians who fail at their given mandate and speak truth to power.

2019 is fast approaching, their conventions and special services will soon be awash with politicians who have ‘come to seek the face of God’.

The debate on what the bible says on tithing can go on and on but none of it truly matters until we make sure the church returns to its position of being the safe haven for the downtrodden, to its place as a representation of Christ’s teachings.

Written by Seun Adelowokan

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by tungamaje: 2:45pm On Apr 20, 2018
The pastors are collecting from their poor sheep to enjoy their own paradise here on earth. The poor will be blessed if they give, else they will go to hell fire. I know a Deeper life friend who struggles to pay their school construction offerings but I know his children will never attend that school because he won't afford the fees.

2 Likes

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by budaatum: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2018
I know people who haven't paid last term's school fees for their children but don't miss their tithes!

1 Like

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by jeruzi(m): 4:00am On Apr 21, 2018
Are the non-Christian any better. Is it the fault of the Church that the muslims and other pagans who don't pay tithe have so many poor amongst them?
The question of What use a mega Church has is irrelevant.
Are the people who appears in large number to worship God to be left under the sun or under the rain, or in a poorly kept environment so that people like you can blame them for not taking caring for their members well being.

I do not support any minister of God living the Hollywood/Nollywood life.
The question is, the poverty in northern Nigeria amongst the large muslim population, is it because they paid tithe to the Church? Or the same problem is responsible for all of these things which have the same resemblance all over the world.
The world government has failed its people Greece was in a big mess some years ago, Russia economy needs help, north Korea is not buoyant.

The nations that are doing better are doing so because they have a responsible government who do not Keep the people's money in one private account somewhere. Otherwise, they wouldn't be any better.

They have a government who has foresight and knows when to diversify their economy. Take a look at the Arab countries going into technology, Iran, Dubai, they are the better for it. Africa on her part pumps borrowed money and aid into importing technology which they whites sell to us at a very high price.

I understand the doctrine called tithe. Nonbiblical doctrine should not be entertained, but the business of the Church is preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ, not looking at how to set up a company. The Church came to this because the world government failed.

Some of these pastors don't touch your tithe for their personal need. People give them gifts.
A good auditorium is for the people to be comfortable.
Let's watch what we say about men of God. We all will give account of our words and acts.
Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by paxonel(m): 6:25am On Apr 21, 2018
budaatum:
I know people who haven't paid last term's school fees for their children but don't miss their tithes!
if one must pay tithe, it should be the last thing he or she should think of, after settling all expenses especially school fees for the children.

Leftover money is what should be used for tithing and giving to the poor (assuming pastors were poor)
Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by OkCornel(m): 7:05am On Apr 21, 2018
budaatum:

They ought to be slapped one by one...

Funny enough...Tithing which was a Law meant for the Jews alone...was never paid monetarily as the Mosaic Law prescribed...it was via grain, wine and cattle...

Where these Pastorpreneurs got the inspiration to claim it's monetary in nature is what baffles me...

1 Like

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by hopefulLandlord: 7:12am On Apr 21, 2018
paxonel:
if one must pay tithe, it should be the last thing he or she should think of, after settling all expenses especially school fees for the children.

Leftover money is what should be used for tithing and giving to the poor (assuming pastors were poor)

This is one of the things Adeboye passionately preaches against lol

He'll say you should tithe first even if it means you have nothing left for upkeep as your faith would sustain you haha

1 Like

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by BluntBoy(m): 9:20am On Apr 21, 2018
jeruzi:
Are the non-Christian any better. Is it the fault of the Church that the muslims and other pagans who don't pay tithe have so many poor amongst them?
The question of What use a mega Church has is irrelevant.
Are the people who appears in large number to worship God to be left under the sun or under the rain, or in a poorly kept environment so that people like you can blame them for not taking caring for their members well being.

I do not support any minister of God living the Hollywood/Nollywood life.
The question is, the poverty in northern Nigeria amongst the large muslim population, is it because they paid tithe to the Church? Or the same problem is responsible for all of these things which have the same resemblance all over the world.
The world government has failed its people Greece was in a big mess some years ago, Russia economy needs help, north Korea is not buoyant.

The nations that are doing better are doing so because they have a responsible government who do not Keep the people's money in one private account somewhere. Otherwise, they wouldn't be any better.

They have a government who has foresight and knows when to diversify their economy. Take a look at the Arab countries going into technology, Iran, Dubai, they are the better for it. Africa on her part pumps borrowed money and aid into importing technology which they whites sell to us at a very high price.

I understand the doctrine called tithe. Nonbiblical doctrine should not be entertained, but the business of the Church is preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ, not looking at how to set up a company. The Church came to this because the world government failed.

Some of these pastors don't touch your tithe for their personal need. People give them gifts.
A good auditorium is for the people to be comfortable.
Let's watch what we say about men of God. We all will give account of our words and acts.

Nawa for you o. What is your business with Muslims and pagans when the thread is basically about Christians So, you want to use the poverty in the North to justify the disparity between rich pastors and their largely poor flocks

Supposing you even want to desperately draw Muslims and pagans into this purely Christian matter, you should at least provide the name of an imam who is so wealthy at the expense of his "flock". Or, you should at least try to draw a parallel between the teachings of Christ and the practices in the North.

It is people like you that would steal and not want to be criticized because some other people are stealing too. Always looking for excuses to make for their inadequacies.

2 Likes

Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by paxonel(m): 10:22am On Apr 21, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

This is one of the things Adeboye passionately preaches against lol

He'll say you should tithe first even if it means you have nothing left for upkeep as your faith would sustain you haha
ignoring the scripture that says faith without works is dead? grin grin

This babalawo sori, baba adeboye sef grin
Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by jeruzi(m): 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2018
BluntBoy:

Nawa for you o. What is your business with Muslims and pagans when the thread is basically about Christians So, you want to use the poverty in the North to justify the disparity between rich pastors and their largely poor flocks

Supposing you even want to desperately draw Muslims and pagans into this purely Christian matter, you should at least provide the name of an imam who is so wealthy at the expense of his "flock". Or, you should at least try to draw a parallel between the teachings of Christ and the practices in the North.

It is people like you that would steal and not want to be criticized because some other people are stealing too. Always looking for excuses to make for their inadequacies.

I do not think you carefully read and analysed what I wrote.
Did you read what he wrote about the population of poor people in Nigeria and that of the Christians?
Nigeria contains muslim and pagans, so when considering population of the poor, they should be considered.

When you blame for the poor state of the nation and the populace, the Alfas and herbalist (spiritualits) should be blamed too. At least not all poor people are Christians.

You are wrong about me and my opinion.

Where did you see me throw support for what is wrong.
Analyse things critically before you condemn.
Re: Adeboye Is Wrong But That Is Not The Problem by BluntBoy(m): 5:49am On Apr 22, 2018
jeruzi:

I do not think you carefully read and analysed what I wrote.
Did you read what he wrote about the population of poor people in Nigeria and that of the Christians?
Nigeria contains muslim and pagans, so when considering population of the poor, they should be considered.

When you blame for the poor state of the nation and the populace, the Alfas and herbalist (spiritualits) should be blamed too. At least not all poor people are Christians.

You are wrong about me and my opinion.

Where did you see me throw support for what is wrong.
Analyse things critically before you condemn.

And I insist that there are no excuses here. We have three pastors in the Forbes list of five richest pastors in the world. How many imams are listed anywhere on the Forbes billionaire list? And true, it might appear like there is poverty in the North, but the average Northerner is not poor. They tend to live very modest, hence the impression of poverty.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Bible Say About Homosexuality? / Post Your Dreams Or Questions About Magick And Spiritual Work Here. / What Could Be Crueler Than A God Who

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.