Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

If U Play Insturment Let Meet - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If U Play Insturment Let Meet (2564 Views)

If U Fancied A Lady In Ur Church, Must U Inform D Pastor Before Approaching Her? / Read This If U Are A Nigerian / Jehovah Is Brutally Wicked, He Has No Mercy ! Do Not Open If U Have Hypertension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If U Play Insturment Let Meet by sholly4444(m): 6:20am On May 16, 2010
Let us knw if u'r are playing instrument,{i} what kind of instrument do u play{ii}which church do u play. I play drums at the apostolic church
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Nobody: 10:23am On May 16, 2010
Play keyboard very well&bass guitar&do sing as well. Lion of Judah.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by sholly4444(m): 5:36pm On May 16, 2010
If u no dey lie,guy u good o
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Jesus2: 8:59pm On May 17, 2010
What if i tell u i play all with the exception of talking drum&trumpet
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Bukydaniels(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2010
Well as for me i hit drums well.
And sing a little on Aria-ria .
But trying to develop my self well on Western gospels.
What do you all think?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Jesus2: 10:28pm On May 17, 2010
Go for u. All instrumentalists must have idea on all genres of music
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 2:07pm On May 18, 2010
Jesus2:

Go for u. All instrumentalists must have idea on all genres of music

Bach - 2 part inventions

Jazz, jazz jazz - it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing doowop doowop doowop doowop

Gospel - but churches should do more (£) to enable musicians to keep their career in the church otherwise secular music beckons.

Rock music - yeee haah! (although that sounds like country and western- but I like that too)

House music - gbi gbi gbi gbi ( so far it is not hard house or Techno then I love it - Deep house especially)

Juju

Fuji

HIghlife

Afrobeat - Anikulapo fa'gbo wo police station, ta lo tun le se?

Bata/ dundun/ and other deep deep forms of traditional music.

I love it all.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 18, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Bach - 2 part inventions

Jazz, jazz jazz - it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing doowop doowop doowop doowop

Gospel - but churches should do more (£) to enable musicians to keep their career in the church otherwise secular music beckons.

Rock music - yeee haah! (although that sounds like country and western- but I like that too)

House music - gbi gbi gbi gbi ( so far it is not hard house or Techno then I love it - Deep house especially)

Juju

Fuji

HIghlife

I love it all.

Yes i can tell u i have been playing very well sice 1998 and i av received no kobo from anyone
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 2:33pm On May 18, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Bach - 2 part inventions

Juju

Fuji

HIghlife

I love it all.

where is Soul music here? Hiphop? Reggae? Pastor your list is incomplete jare.

toba:

Play keyboard very well&bass guitar&do sing as well. Lion of Judah.
Wow, that's awesome Toba, very impressive. I play guitar, contemporary/reggae/soul style for the most part.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 18, 2010
JeSoul:

Wow, that's awesome Toba, very impressive. I play guitar, contemporary/reggae/soul style for the most part.

Wow u are the bomb. If u are in Nigeria we could form a band for NL. lol
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 2:41pm On May 18, 2010
toba:

Wow u are the bomb. If u are in Nigeria we could form a band for NL. lol
NL band lol, that'd be fun. Some guys in the music section were trying to make a NL mixtape.

Jesus2:

What if i tell u i play all with the exception of talking drum&trumpet
Wow, all? I salute you oh.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Jesus2: 3:01pm On May 18, 2010
JeSoul:

Wow, all? I salute you oh.
Yes i do minus talking drum and trumpet.

I made a request to u on pastor chris' thread up there
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by sholly4444(m): 10:11pm On May 18, 2010
Why do ppl colect money after playing any instrument? Secondly God's blessing and man blessing which is d best?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 18, 2010
sholly4444:

Why do ppl colect money after playing any instrument? Secondly God's blessing and man blessing which is d best?
the blessings of God maketh reaches without adding sorrows. The Gift of God is eternal life through christ Jesus. Every good&perfect gift comes from God.
12 yrs of play instrument in church&religious gathering having not collected one kobo.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by maedan(f): 10:27pm On May 18, 2010
toba:

the blessings of God maketh reaches without adding sorrows. The Gift of God is eternal life through christ Jesus. Every good&perfect gift comes from God.
12 yrs of play instrument in church&religious gathering having not collected one kobo.

That's very nice and noble, though I know most band players collect pay, even if they are members of the church. They even get hired to perform at member's weddings and parties. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it's cool that you don't, your reward is doubled I believe.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 8:46am On May 19, 2010
maedan:

That's very nice and noble, though I know most band players collect pay, even if they are members of the church. They even get hired to perform at member's weddings and parties. I'm not saying it's good or bad but it's cool that you don't, your reward is doubled I believe.
toba:

sholly4444:

Why do ppl colect money after playing any instrument? Secondly God's blessing and man blessing  which is d best?

You see, this is a big big bone of contention for me.  Many churches like to bamboozle musicians.  Jesus said freely you have received so freely you must give.  Yet all those career pastors are clearing the whole offering and they don't want to give musicians anything while they know that the musicians are suffering and don't have a penny. 
Yet they will admit that without the music 'the spirit does not come down'.  None of the vibes that people get in church will happen without the music, forget about the long backside sermon of the pastor.  People are mostly ministered to by the music.  In fact if you take away the sermon and just get people to come and praise worship the church will bubble just as much.  So why is the guy that is doing the least chopping all the money (despite the fact that Jesus has specifically told them that they should give for free) meanwhile the guys that the whole thing is based on (actually performing the ministry) are been sent home hungry. 

Then the worst part, when the guys want to go and play secular music to make money the church hierarchy start to frown on it. 
I even know guys that are blackmailed by their church because the church helped to get them their visa into the country.  It is like slave trade.  It is bad, shameful, unchristianly.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 9:03am On May 19, 2010
JeSoul:

where is Soul music here? Hiphop? Reggae? Pastor your list is incomplete jare.

Soul music is very powerful. And Blues too. But really Soul music is just gospel music with different kinda lyrics. It was Ray Charles and Sam Cooke that started that. They would take the Gospel tunes and just change the lyrics to sex and love.
My all time favourite Soul singers are Sam Cooke, Donny Hathaway, and Marvin Gaye. Marvin dominated my mind for a very long period of my life. Shame I couldn't sing like him cos there was nothing I would have liked better in this world.
I'm slowly getting into the soul/disco from the 80's again but to be honest after the 80's there isn't much that I like in soul music. Maybe the debut album from D'angelo and a couple of other artists here and there.

Reggae? I like Roots reggae. A lot of the stuff from the 70s and also the dub too. The earlier ska too.

. . . but HipHop? kai! not my scene at all. I like a few artists every now and again, but generally I avoid hiphop music. I can appreciate the high standard of their productions, artists like Dr. Dre, Timbaland etc but the lyrically content (and not just because of the rude language) leaves me cold. One can use foul language and still be artistic with it, but I don't really get the artistry in much of hip hop.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 9:07am On May 19, 2010
sholly4444:

Because playing an instrument is a craft, and to develop your craft to a professional standard requires hours of dedication that leave you with no time to do anything else. Soooooo, as you need to eat and pay your rent etc, it follows that you ought to be paid for the time you've put into developing your craft.

As for your second question . . . you should ask that of your local pastors.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 9:11am On May 19, 2010
Jesus2:

Yes i do minus talking drum and trumpet.

Jesus, my man, I need someone to play Sitar for me and banjo, for a gig. Could you handle it?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Enigma(m): 9:35am On May 19, 2010
Ukelele?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by PastorAIO: 9:49am On May 19, 2010
Goje?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Enigma(m): 9:54am On May 19, 2010
Agidigbo or Ogidigbo?

smiley
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by maedan(f): 8:56pm On May 19, 2010
Lol @ "ukulele". Hey, @ topic, I play the shekere passably tongue cheesy. Okay, no I don't grin. But I envy guitar players, pianist, drummers (esp drummers!!). Seeing them jamming in church and I feel utterly jealous! Big ups you people.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Joagbaje(m): 11:36am On May 20, 2010
i Play, Keboards, talking drum, bass,lead guitar. conga, drum set. I just got a trumpet i'm learning now my mouth dey pain me.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Ganjaseed: 12:14pm On May 20, 2010
I play drums. Currently playing with a reggae band in my city (Deventer in Holland) not very good with rhythm guitar though but can play the normal cords.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 2:57pm On May 20, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Soul music is very powerful. And Blues too. But really Soul music is just gospel music with different kinda lyrics. It was Ray Charles and Sam Cooke that started that. They would take the Gospel tunes and just change the lyrics to intimacy and love.
My all time favourite Soul singers are Sam Cooke, Donny Hathaway, and Marvin Gaye. Marvin dominated my mind for a very long period of my life. Shame I couldn't sing like him cos there was nothing I would have liked better in this world.
I'm slowly getting into the soul/disco from the 80's again but to be honest after the 80's there isn't much that I like in soul music. Maybe the debut album from D'angelo and a couple of other artists here and there.
    There's a point I agree with. Much of soul today is honestly boring, especially the Neo-soul spin off. But here and there, there are a few gems. Joss Stone, Heather Headley - not sure if you know them, IndiaArie, are some of my new skool favs. I still jam along to Al Green, Gladys Knight etc quite often. Mainstream gospel really bores me. It sounds like the same song over and over again. Barely any artistry going on behind the hoopla.

Reggae? I like Roots reggae. A lot of the stuff from the 70s and also the dub too. The earlier ska too.
I'm similar. Not really into dancehall reggae - those SeanPaul types. But the roots and ska are cool.

. . . but HipHop? kai! not my scene at all. I like a few artists every now and again, but generally I avoid hiphop music. I can appreciate the high standard of their productions, artists like Dr. Dre, Timbaland etc but the lyrically content (and not just because of the rude language) leaves me cold. One can use foul language and still be artistic with it, but I don't really get the artistry in much of hip hop.
Lol, trust me, I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't do mainstream hiphop, for the most part, its all junk. But men, there's a ton of artistry that goes in hiphop oh! Besides the production on the track - there's the writing style, the delivery, the wit, the storytelling, the ability to keep the listener interested etc Unfortunately artists that excel in these areas are few and far btw.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 2:58pm On May 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

i Play, Keboards, talking drum, bass,lead guitar. conga, drum set. I just got a trumpet i'm learning now my mouth dey pain me.
Wow, all that? I gbadun you! lol.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by donnie(m): 4:07pm On May 20, 2010
@toba,
May God reward you abundatly.
@ Joeagbaje
Abeg you go teach me only one o. . . bass guiter! plssss, or how much grin

I think instrumentalists who are christians should be free to define what it is they really want.

This skill that you have. . . is it it for hire or simply to glorify God? Be clear about what you want and go for it.

Many of you have opted for the lower blesssings because of shortsightedness or should I say, greed.

I mean someoine will play in a wakekeeping on thurday,  burial on friday. . . club later at night and on saturday and then church on sunday. Habba!
I mean. . . what meaneth this? You are either a christian or not. That is why I am not against those who are clear about their being 'for hire'.
It is the same with gospel artists these days. They ask for money first!

I remember some foreign artisits were invited for a Christ Embassy crusade years ago and they requested for money first. pastor Chris was dissappointed and asked that they forget about it. Then he said to the  Choir in Christ Embassy. . . 'write your own songs'. For years now, Christ Embassy has produced some of the best artists in the country ; Buchi, Sinach, Frank Edwards, E-Ben, Samsong, and many more. This is the belssing of God, not of man. When God lifts a man, it is clear.
I remember him say during the crusade that if those foreign artists had come, he would have given them far more than they requested for.

You can never out-give God, he is a just God and always rewards faithfulness.

I remember a drummer in Ikeja church years  ago who mentioned to pastor Chris that it was his birthday. He got a  car on the spot!  Now how many years of dragging with choir master after service for N2,000 can buy him that car?

I know of some who have been given scholarships by the church or the pastor. Please be wise, God is not unfaithful. And if you are a christian, remember to take the Word and faith along with you. These will surely prevail.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 4:27pm On May 20, 2010
donnie:

@toba,
May God reward you abundatly.
@ Joeagbaje

I think instrumentalists who are christians should be free to define what it is they really want.

This skill that you have. . . is it it for hire or simply to glorify God? Be clear about what you want and go for it.

Many of you have opted for the lower blesssings because of shortsightedness or should I say, greed.

I mean someoine will play in a wakekeeping on thurday, burial on friday. . . club later at night and on saturday and then church on sunday. Habba!
I mean. . . what meaneth this? You are either a christian or not. That is why I am not against those who are clear about their being 'for hire'.
It is the same with gospel artists these days. They ask for money first!

I remember some foreign artisits were invited for a Christ Embassy crusade years ago and they requested for money first. pastor Chris was dissappointed and asked that they forget about it. Then he said to the Choir in Christ Embassy. . . 'write your own songs'. For years now, Christ Embassy has produced some of the best artists in the country ; Buchi, Sinach, Frank Edwards, E-Ben, Samsong, and many more. This is the belssing of God, not of man. When God lifts a man, it is clear.
I remember him say during the crusade that if those foreign artists had come, he would have given them far more than they requested for.

You can never out-give God, he is a just God and always rewards faithfulness.

I remember a drummer in Ikeja church years ago who mentioned to pastor Chris that it was his birthday. He got a car on the spot! Now how many years of dragging with choir master after service for N2,000 can buy him that car?

I know of some who have been given scholarships by the church or the pastor. Please be wise, God is not unfaithful. And if you are a christian, remember to take the Word and faith along with you. These will surely prevail.
Donnie, you're muddying the waters.

A. There are musicians who play recreationally, at church, at occasional events etc. Then -
B. There are professional musicians who play as a means of earning their livelihood

You can expect your approach for category A and indeed it is the approach that I usually take myself (if I get paid great, if I don't that's great too). But for category B, you cannot expect them to book dates and events, especially when travel is involved without their enquiring in advance about payment for their services.

Other professionally trained people do not typically offer their services (be it to a religious event or not) for free. Why should it be different for musicians?
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Joagbaje(m): 4:49pm On May 20, 2010
@ Donnie,

donnie:

@ Joeagbaje

You can send me your e mail adress or send your number here for a start. joagbaje@yahoo.com. I no go charge you money
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by Joagbaje(m): 4:58pm On May 20, 2010
JeSoul:

Donnie, you're muddying the waters.

A. There are musicians who play recreationally, at church, at occasional events etc. Then -
B. There are professional musicians who play as a means of earning their livelihood

You can expect your approach for category A and indeed it is the approach that I usually take myself (if I get paid great, if I don't that's great too). But for category B, you cannot expect them to book dates and events, especially when travel is involved without their enquiring in advance about payment for their services.

Other professionally trained people do not typically offer their services (be it to a religious event or not) for free. Why should it be different for musicians?

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

As much as we may not neglect to appreciate Christian musicans financially. I think its wrong for them to put money first as top priority. It is like inviting a preacher and he starts to talk about how much he will charge. He ought to come first, then we know the word of od enough to appreciate them well financially.

1 Tim. 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
Re: If U Play Insturment Let Meet by JeSoul(f): 5:50pm On May 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

As much as we may not neglect to appreciate Christian musicans financially. I think its wrong for them to put money first as top priority. It is like inviting a preacher and he starts to talk about how much he will charge. He ought to come first, then we know the word of od enough to appreciate them well financially.

1 Tim. 5:17
Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
Actually that applies to all christians across the board, not just musicians. What worries me is this principle is mostly only quoted when it comes to musicians and them being compensated for their services.

Picture your average "conference" or "retreat" or service etc . . . the caterers get paid, the security team gets paid, the cleaners get paid, the transportation people get paid etc it's standard . . . but when it comes to the musicians, suddenly, they should give freely? and "glorify God with their gifts" How come visiting pastors cannot glorify God with their gifts? usually their contracts and compensation are discussed upfront when they are invited, why should it be any different for any other member of the body?

(1) (2) (Reply)

God Does Exists! / Can Someone Be Born Again, Yet Not Be Rapturable? / Muslim Women Cant Eat Peenis Shaped Food Like Cucumber Or Banana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.